Why Do The Sox Keep Getting Hurt?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from southy12. Show southy12's posts

I am sick and tired of the Sox getting hurt. What is up with that? Do we need a conditioning coach? Is it the trainer's fault? Look, I understand throughout the season there are bound to be injuries to a team. It seems like the Red Sox get hurt more than other teams. Last year was cursed with injures. This year, it is starting up again in June. Maybe we need a priest in the clubhouse or to go with the team? Theo, you have to be looking into this trend of injuries.
    Any ideas all?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from parhunter1. Show parhunter1's posts

Re: Why Do The Sox Keep Getting Hurt?

Seems to be happening all over baseball.  And I suspect it always has.  Why does it seem more prevalent?  Because players do not play hurt any more...too much money on the line and too much security.  In the old days players played if at all possible for fear of losing their job and livelihood.  Certainly they were not conditioned any better; in fact their conditioning was much worse.  

As a for instance, a lot of the down years (statistically) that Yaz had were the result of wrist and shoulder injuries and a cranky back that he played through whenever possible.  If he were playing today, he would spend time on the DL each year, much like Drew.  The team would force him to, to protect their investment.  That's my take on it, anyway.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from jimdavis. Show jimdavis's posts

Oh, Christ.  Here we go.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinstripezac32. Show pinstripezac32's posts

thanks 2 RSN we don't have these questions in yankeeland

when our players get hurt

we know it's because they are old & overpaid 

one would  think young players never get hurt

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from NUSoxFan. Show NUSoxFan's posts

"one would think young players never get hurt"

If you look at a lot of the injuries we had last year, age was indeterminate toward them. A 100 mile an hour fastball will break anyone's foot, regardless of age. A kick the chest, can break ribs age isn't a factor.

This year looks like its more precautionary DL trips as previously mentioned. Better to DL a guy over a strain, some stiffness, etc. then to risk it becoming a serious issue when you just locked him up to a 4-7 year deal.

This trend is not just Sox, look around the Major Leagues, every team is dealing with injuries, name off some of the best players around, Pujols, Longoria, Josh Hamilton, Josh Johnson, all of these guys have been on the DL so far.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

But isnt it great that we can just plug the hole with another body, still get good play at the position, and not miss a beat..How many other teams can say that? Injuries happen to every team, young and older...

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from MikeNagy. Show MikeNagy's posts

All teams have injuries, you just notice the ones to your own team more. But I must admit, I've never seen them like the sox had last year.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from RSNS14. Show RSNS14's posts

MLB's new drug policy must be working. the injury bug has been up all over the league. Steroids help your body recover quicker and generally take more abuse.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from 26RINGSANDCOUTING. Show 26RINGSANDCOUTING's posts

LEANR TO STRETCH MORE

I USED TO STRETCH BEFORE TRACKA ND NEVER PULLED A HAMSTRING

OR BROKE MY TOMMY JOHN

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from kbair. Show kbair's posts

time for baseball to realize the lessons that basketball, soccer, hockey and even football have embraced... yoga and nutrition. the best preventative medicine for tendons and muscles is stretching and breathing.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from NUSoxFan. Show NUSoxFan's posts

In Response to Re: Why Do The Sox Keep Getting Hurt?:
    [QUOTE]LEANR TO STRETCH MORE I USED TO STRETCH BEFORE TRACKA ND NEVER PULLED A HAMSTRING OR BROKE MY TOMMY JOHN
    Posted by 26RINGSANDCOUTING[/QUOTE]
    Probably because you never hurdled a baseball as fast or often as these guys.

Stretching isn't a guarantee that no injuries will take place when doing things your body does not want to do. I did years of Tae-Kwon Do, it didn't matter all the time, when doing vertical axe-kicks, your putting yourself in a position your body doesn't like, so sometimes it bites back. The same thing applies to throwing baseballs 90+ MPH.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

"LEANR TO STRETCH MORE

I USED TO STRETCH BEFORE TRACKA ND NEVER PULLED A HAMSTRING

OR BROKE MY TOMMY JOHN"

This statement, besides having to be decoded before it could be read, shows you r just a troll and know nothing about sports...and an illiterate one at that...

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from --The--Babe---. Show --The--Babe---'s posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Why Do The Sox Keep Getting Hurt? : Probably because you never hurdled a baseball as fast or often as these guys. Stretching isn't a guarantee that no injuries will take place when doing things your body does not want to do. I did years of Tae-Kwon Do, it didn't matter all the time, when doing vertical axe-kicks, your putting yourself in a position your body doesn't like, so sometimes it bites back. The same thing applies to throwing baseballs 90+ MPH.

Posted by NUSoxFan[/QUOTE]

Who hurdles baseballs?

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

AS DAD WOULD SAY..... "SON, BASEBALL IS A ROUGH GAME" !!!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from DirtyWaterLover. Show DirtyWaterLover's posts

Over 162 games even tough guys get  sprains, sore arms, muscle pulls...

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from RonSwanson. Show RonSwanson's posts

[QUOTE]LEANR TO STRETCH MORE I USED TO STRETCH BEFORE TRACKA ND NEVER PULLED A HAMSTRING OR BROKE MY TOMMY JOHN
    Posted by 26RINGSANDCOUTING[/QUOTE]

I'm not sure if this was meant to be serious or a joke, but I laughed for a couple minutes either way. Dick-K, Rich Hill, Joba. So many "broken Tommy Johns"... They could have all saved their elbows if only they had learned to stretch their quads.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxmeister. Show soxmeister's posts

Pujols is out for 6 weeks, fractured arm.  How far down will the Cards drop now?  

Handling injuries is what deep teams with deep pockets do ... we will be fine. 

(Unless Tito playes A-Gon in RF and he gets hurt ... in whcih case our season tumbles.)  

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hammah29r2. Show Hammah29r2's posts

First: 6/9/2008
    Last: 6/21/2011
    Over 162 games even tough guys get  sprains, sore arms, muscle pulls...

you tell em Lou!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

In Response to Why Do The Sox Keep Getting Hurt?:
    [QUOTE]I am sick and tired of the Sox getting hurt. What is up with that? Do we need a conditioning coach? Is it the trainer's fault? Look, I understand throughout the season there are bound to be injuries to a team. It seems like the Red Sox get hurt more than other teams. Last year was cursed with injures. This year, it is starting up again in June. Maybe we need a priest in the clubhouse or to go with the team? Theo, you have to be looking into this trend of injuries. Any ideas all?
    Posted by southy12[/QUOTE]

So far just minor injuries outside of Dice K. which was a blessing.  I'm not too worried about it, hopefully the rest of the season goes as well.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from fenwayjack2. Show fenwayjack2's posts

In Response to Why Do The Sox Keep Getting Hurt?:
    [QUOTE]I am sick and tired of the Sox getting hurt. What is up with that? Do we need a conditioning coach? Is it the trainer's fault? Look, I understand throughout the season there are bound to be injuries to a team. It seems like the Red Sox get hurt more than other teams. Last year was cursed with injures. This year, it is starting up again in June. Maybe we need a priest in the clubhouse or to go with the team? Theo, you have to be looking into this trend of injuries. Any ideas all?
    Posted by southy12[/QUOTE]

Bring in the witch from Salem to cast a good luck spell.  For the life of me I do not understand how so many players on every team are going down in injuries.  Then again this is the age in which closers in their mid-twenties can't do back to back 9ths if they threw more than 20 pitches.  How on earth can the Sox have more injuries than the Boston Bruins?!

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from 111SoxFan111. Show 111SoxFan111's posts

Here's your answer.  All that "intestinal turmoil" can be linked to a single tub of tainted potato salad.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hammah29r2. Show Hammah29r2's posts

what a great shot of my boy Timmy!

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

[QUOTE]Seems to be happening all over baseball.  And I suspect it always has.  Why does it seem more prevalent?  Because players do not play hurt any more...too much money on the line and too much security.  In the old days players played if at all possible for fear of losing their job and livelihood.  Certainly they were not conditioned any better; in fact their conditioning was much worse.   As a for instance, a lot of the down years (statistically) that Yaz had were the result of wrist and shoulder injuries and a cranky back that he played through whenever possible.  If he were playing today, he would spend time on the DL each year, much like Drew.  The team would force him to, to protect their investment.  That's my take on it, anyway.
    Posted by parhunter1[/QUOTE]

Yup.  It was the code of professional conduct to play hurt back in the day.  Not that way anymore.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from sti328. Show sti328's posts

None of the current Sox players that are on the DL have serious conditions. CC's DL stint is just precautionary, its like a long rest so that his hammy can recover. It can't be as bad as Puljos's broken arms. Thats gotta be much worst. Besides, look at the team now and the way they are hitting, don t complain. They will be fine.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from sindarin-erebor. Show sindarin-erebor's posts

The Cards are this year's injury bugaboo team. Pujols, Holliday, Craig, Wainwright (out for season), Punto, Freese, Shumaker all out for some or all of the season. The fact that they are even sniffing first place is an amazement.