Why do you love the Red Sox?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from boissroy. Show boissroy's posts

Re: Why do you love the Red Sox?

I love them from my first game in 1955. I got see see Ted Williams and anyone could get a seat at anytime. Bleacher seats went for .50 cents. I love watching Dick Radatz finish a game. I watched Jimmy Peirsall sit in the outfield refusing to play with his back to home plate. I loved watching the cigarette and cigar smoke form a whimsical fog above the crowd as the game progressed. I love them because they gave us Curt Gowdy, the best play-by-play guy ever. I love them because my grandfather would sit down and listen to every game on his radio. My dad then loved them and he brought me to many games. My friends, who I went to games with, loved them. Yaz, Rice, Jensen, Clinton, Stuart, Monboquette, Earl Wilson, Pumpsie Green, and Tony C. a great player who made this man love his team through warts and all...Memories, Priceless memories....Love, it can't be bought.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from losmediasrojas. Show losmediasrojas's posts

Thank you kimsaysthis and J-Bay for your condolences.  From what you experienced with your dad, J-Bay, you can relate to this connection between the Red Sox and loved ones, as can many Red Sox fans.  In adding to my earlier post, here is a song by native New Englander Jonathan Richman that captures that longing for nostalgic New England summers.  The video is a bit annoying, so I recommend just listening to the song.

http://youtu.be/x_jRDVStzOY

That summer feeling That summer feeling
    That summer feeling
    When there's things to do not because you gotta
    When you run for love not because you oughtta
    When you trust your friends with no reason not ta (nada)
    The joy I name shall not be tamed
    And that summer feeling is gonna haunt you
    One day in your life.

When the cool of the pond makes you drop down on it
    When the smell of the lawn makes you flop down on it
    When the teenage car gots the cop down on it
    The time is here for one more year
    One day in your life.

That summer feeling That summer feeling
    That summer feeling

If you've forgotten what I'm naming
    You're gonna long to reclaim it one day
    Because that summer feeling is gonna haunt you
    One day in your life.

And if you wait until your older
    A sad resentment will smoulder one day
    And Then that summer feeling is gonna haunt you
    And that summer feeling's gonna taunt you
    And then that summer feeling is gonna hurt you
    One day in your life.

When even fourth grade starts looking good
    Which you hated,
    And first grade's looking good too,
    Overrated,
    And you boys long for some little girl
    That you dated
    Do you long for her of for the way you were,
    That summer feeling is gonna haunt you
    One day in your life.

When the Oldsmobile has got the top down on it
    When the catamaran has got the drop down on it
    When the flat of the land has got the crop down on it
    Some things were good before and some things never were
    But that summer feeling is gonna haunt you
    One day in your life.

Well when your friends are in town and they've got time for you
    When you were never hanging around and they don't ignore you
    When you say what you will and they still adore you
    Is that not appealing, it's that summer feeling.
    That summer feeling is gonna haunt you
    One day in your life.
    It's gonna haunt you
    It's gonna taunt you
    You're gonna want this feeling inside one more time.
    It's gonna haunt you
    It's gonna taunt you
    You're gonna want this feeling inside one more time.
    One more thing...

When you're hanging around the park with the water fountain
    And there's the little girl with the dirty ankles cuz she's
    On the swings, you know, and all the dust is kicking up
    And you remember the ankle locket
    And the way she flirted with you
    For all this time, how come?
    Well that summer feeling is gonna haunt you
    One day in your life.
    You'll throw away everything for it.
    You'll throw away everything for it.
    One more thing...

Well when the playground that just was all dirt
    Comes haunting.
    And that little girl that called you a flirt
    Memory comes taunting
    You pick these things apart they're not that appealing
    You put them together and you'll get this certain feeling
    One day in your life.
    It's gonna haunt you
    It's gonna taunt you
    You're gonna want this feeling inside
    One more time.

I've highlighted my favorite lines.  For me, and probably many on this board, you would throw in our Red Sox memories and feelings associated with it. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

In Response to Re: Why do you love the Red Sox?:
    Thank you kimsaysthis and J-Bay for your condolences.  From what you experienced with your dad, J-Bay, you can relate to this connection between the Red Sox and loved ones, as can many Red Sox fans.  In adding to my earlier post, here is a song by native New Englander Jonathan Richman that captures that longing for nostalgic New England summers.  The video is a bit annoying, so I recommend just listening to the song. http://youtu.be/x_jRDVStzOY That summer feeling That summer feeling That summer feeling When there's things to do not because you gotta When you run for love not because you oughtta When you trust your friends with no reason not ta (nada) The joy I name shall not be tamed And that summer feeling is gonna haunt you One day in your life. When the cool of the pond makes you drop down on it When the smell of the lawn makes you flop down on it When the teenage car gots the cop down on it The time is here for one more year And that summer feeling is gonna haunt you One day in your life. That summer feeling That summer feeling That summer feeling If you've forgotten what I'm naming You're gonna long to reclaim it one day Because that summer feeling is gonna haunt you One day in your life. And if you wait until your older A sad resentment will smoulder one day And Then that summer feeling is gonna haunt you And that summer feeling's gonna taunt you And then that summer feeling is gonna hurt you One day in your life. When even fourth grade starts looking good Which you hated, And first grade's looking good too, Overrated, And you boys long for some little girl That you dated Do you long for her of for the way you were , That summer feeling is gonna haunt you One day in your life. When the Oldsmobile has got the top down on it When the catamaran has got the drop down on it When the flat of the land has got the crop down on it Some things were good before and some things never were But that summer feeling is gonna haunt you One day in your life. Well when your friends are in town and they've got time for you When you were never hanging around and they don't ignore you When you say what you will and they still adore you Is that not appealing, it's that summer feeling. That summer feeling is gonna haunt you One day in your life. It's gonna haunt you It's gonna taunt you You're gonna want this feeling inside one more time. It's gonna haunt you It's gonna taunt you You're gonna want this feeling inside one more time. One more thing... When you're hanging around the park with the water fountain And there's the little girl with the dirty ankles cuz she's On the swings, you know, and all the dust is kicking up And you remember the ankle locket And the way she flirted with you For all this time, how come? Well that summer feeling is gonna haunt you One day in your life. You'll throw away everything for it. You'll throw away everything for it. One more thing... Well when the playground that just was all dirt Comes haunting. And that little girl that called you a flirt Memory comes taunting You pick these things apart they're not that appealing You put them together and you'll get this certain feeling And that summer feeling is gonna haunt you One day in your life. It's gonna haunt you It's gonna taunt you You're gonna want this feeling inside One more time. I've highlighted my favorite lines.  For me, and probably many on this board, you would throw in our Red Sox memories and feelings associated with it. 
    Posted by losmediasrojas

Both your posts and that of Schumpeters-Ghost took my breath away.

Love of what we support - the RedSox in this case - allow us to stay connected with the part of us that never grows old. It cocoons us from many of life's harsh realities, while revealing it's own heart break. But it also exemplifies our triumphs in life.

Carnie: This is UR finest thread.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from jaytf25. Show jaytf25's posts

Jessey: Good question, and the answer is Dwight Evans. As I said earlier, Clemente was (and remains) my favorite player. Evans was never in his league, of course -- only a handful are, IMO. But he was a right fielder with a cannon for a right arm who went all out on every play. I loved his eye black, his mustache, even that odd batting stance. I loved his approach to the game and only wish more of today's players were like him.
    Posted by LloydDobler

Yes Lloyd I agree one player can do it . For me it was Tony C. You just changed your avatar today right? I didn't recognize you at first. Are you a big fan of Th Clash?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

In Response to Re: Why do you love the Red Sox? : Both your posts and that of Schumpeters - Ghost took my breath away. Love of what we support - the RedSox in this case - allow us to stay connected with the part of us that never grows old. It cocoons us from many of life's harsh realities, while revealing it's own heart break. But it also exemplifies our triumphs in life. Carnie : This is UR finest thread.
    Posted by harness
    Why thank you harness. I figured given the overwhelming negativity of this board lately, that maybe some of us (read me) could use a little reminder of why we cheer for the Red Sox.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

It was excellent timing, my friend.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

It was excellent timing, my friend.
    Posted by harness
    I'd be interested to hear your thoughts on my new thread in the private forum.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

Yes Lloyd I agree one player can do it . For me it was Tony C. You just changed your avatar today right? I didn't recognize you at first. Are you a big fan of Th Clash?
    jaytf25

Tony C was a few years before my time, but wow, what a talent. And such a tragic story, too.
    Yep, changed the avatar ... trying whatever I can to bring luck. I'm one of those supersticious weirdos ... I have four different Red Sox hats, and I always change after a loss. (As you can see, it's not helping this year).
    And yes, LOVE the Clash.

PS: Anybody else no longer have the "reply" option at the bottom?

9. This post has been removed.

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Good to see an old harness post.

I grew up just blocks away from County Stadium in Milwaukee, WI. When the Brewers moved to Milwaukee, I went to many games at $1.00 a ticket (bleachers). There was also a place on some cliffs by the VA hospital where I had a paper route that helped pay for my tickets, where you could watch the games. You could see about 75% of the field.

My favorite player was Tommy Harper. I think he was the first 30-30 player in MLB. When my famile moved to Portland, ME in the early 70's, I was happy when Tommy Harper was traded to the Sox soon afterwards. I became a Sox fan back then and have never looked back.

12. This post has been removed.

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

In response to EdithBRTN's comment:

In response to Softlaw1's comment:

Fan of the Red Sox because my Dad was a huge Philiadelphia Athletics fan who started rooting for the Red Sox because his favorite players, Foxx and Grove were sold to the Red Sox. My first lasting memories of the Red Sox were in 1967, which any Red Sox fan is familiar with. 

Your dad was a Yankee  fan and you grew up in Charlotte, NC. You inherited a fortune in tobacco stock. You are not and never was a Red Sox fan.

It's "never were" not "never was". 

Most on here don't think I am a real fan of the Sox, but a any passionate fan, no matter what the sport, it is always a love- hate relationship, kinda like a marriage. It can make you so mad but its for better or worse.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from dustcover. Show dustcover's posts

"Why do you love the Red sox?"

My therapist has been asking that very same question for as long as I can remember!

16. This post has been removed.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

In response to Softlaw1's comment:

Your dad was a Yankee  fan and you grew up in Charlotte, NC. You inherited a fortune in tobacco stock. You are not and never were a Red Sox fan.

No, Pike, wrong on every front. You need to get some new tea leaves.

its always funny when pike attempts to post your biography... where does he come up with this stuff??

18. This post has been removed.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

In response to carnie's comment:

For me, my love affair with the Red Sox started in the summer of 1967 in Augusta Maine. Like most 9 year old boys in my neighborhood I loved to play baseball, although I had never paid much attention to the proffessional sport. Both my father and grandfather were huge Red Sox fans though, so the Sox game was always either on the TV or the radio at our house. Something about that 1967 team really captured my imagination. It could have been Yaz, Tony C., George Scott or Jim Lonborg, but by the end of the year I was following the Red Sox as religiously as my male progenitors.
    I've been a Red Sox fan through thick and thin ever since. Granted this year's team is off to a very bad start, but I am still, and will remain a Red Sox fan. I will root for them even when, maybe especially when, they are down.

I was 6 and had lived in America for a little more than a year.  My best friend was a Sox fan, as most of us in SE NH seemed to be.  Exceptions were those who lived at Pease AFB and Kittery that were Air Force and Navy folks from all over.  I guess it was just a natural development...becoming a Sox fan.  It became more than that ... an ethereal connection that struck at my very heart.  I have lived in three countries and six states, and during those days prior to 1994, when I first got on the internet, I often only got to read line scores in the local papers that had other allegiances, some that had no professional sports connections.

Baseball became my favorite sport almost immediately hjere in the States.  In the old country, we played field hockey and cricket.  But here, in 1961, baseball replaced both.  We played it from sunrise to sunset.  We eventually played Strat-o-matic all through the wintah.  I delivered the Boston Globe for 7 years, from 8 to 15.  It was my Red Sox Bible.  My best friend delivered the daily from Dover.  We were stats nuts.  Baseball was so full of fun stuff like that.  My best friend had a better mind for all those things than I did, but he was brighter than I was anyway - and a kid who grew up with baseball.

Dad was born near Albany, NY.  He grew up in the communities between Troy, NY and North Adams, MA.  He was a Yanqui fan as a kid.  But after 15 years in India and E. Pakistan as a missionary, his first charge state-side was in Rochester, NH.   A strong fellowship with churches in Roxbury, Malden, Pawtucket and Providence all helped make Boston and the Sox even more "natural."  Dad became a Red Sox fan, early in the '60s. (His second favorite team was still the Yanquis, miracle of miracles.)  He would take me and my friends - as well as brothers - but they weren't interested in baseball like Dad and I were - to games at Fenway.  Dad would haggle with neighbors around Fenway for a parking space and we would head into the game.  $1 per person in the bleachers.  Man, those were great days!  Riding home in the old '64 Dodge wagon with the wind blowing through the windows .... tired and mostly happy.

I remember the arguments of how the young kid Yaz would never replace Teddy Ballgame.  Heh.  It made me love Yaz all the more.  I never saw Teddy play.  I respected his legacy but I loved #8.  He and the Red Sox we one and the same, in my mind.

'67 was a bolt out of the blue. What a celebration! 

20. This post has been removed.

21. This post has been removed.

22. This post has been removed.

23. This post has been removed.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Strangeglove. Show Strangeglove's posts

My family have always been Red Sox fans going back to Ted Williams and Jimmy Piersal. Most of my friends growing up on my block were Yankee fans. We all got along fine razzing each other. Today, its kind of nasty, isn't it? 

Today, I live in NY and while my allegiance is still and always will be Red Sox, I am more analytical now. We really do route for, as Seinfeld says,"The Laundry." now. Especially, with all the turnover these days, it seems kind of illogical.

My only personal experience actually meeting any current players was with a couple of Yankees. - Jeter and Arod who I found to be very polite and personable. Doesn't it those make sense then for me to convert over??? - Nahhhhh. LOL

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from slakrking. Show slakrking's posts

walking up the ramp through the gate on a beautiful summer day, the look of the grass,the wall,  the smell of cigars and peanuts, Yaz in left, Rico at short, Lonborg on the mound spending the day with my Dad ... Fenway is perpetually 1967 for me and it was great to be a 10 year old

Sections
Shortcuts