Why do you love the Red Sox?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

Why do you love the Red Sox?

For me, my love affair with the Red Sox started in the summer of 1967 in Augusta Maine. Like most 9 year old boys in my neighborhood I loved to play baseball, although I had never paid much attention to the proffessional sport. Both my father and grandfather were huge Red Sox fans though, so the Sox game was always either on the TV or the radio at our house. Something about that 1967 team really captured my imagination. It could have been Yaz, Tony C., George Scott or Jim Lonborg, but by the end of the year I was following the Red Sox as religiously as my male progenitors.
    I've been a Red Sox fan through thick and thin ever since. Granted this year's team is off to a very bad start, but I am still, and will remain a Red Sox fan. I will root for them even when, maybe especially when, they are down.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

Re: Why do you love the Red Sox?

In Response to Why do you love the Red Sox?:
    [QUOTE]For me, my love affair with the Red Sox started in the summer of 1967 in Augusta Maine. Like most 9 year old boys in my neighborhood I loved to play baseball, although I had never paid much attention to the proffessional sport. Both my father and grandfather were huge Red Sox fans though, so the Sox game was always either on the TV or the radio at our house. Something about that 1967 team really captured my imagination. It could have been Yaz, Tony C., George Scott or Jim Lonborg, but by the end of the year I was following the Red Sox as religiously as my male progenitors. I've been a Red Sox fan through thick and thin ever since. Granted this year's team is off to a very bad start, but I am still, and will remain a Red Sox fan. I will root for them even when, maybe especially when, they are down.
    Posted by carnie[/QUOTE]

I can't separate the church from the deity.  Summer of 78, my pops took me to Fenway for the first time.  I didn't really have any idea what i was in for.  Hadn't been into sports to that point in my young life.  When we arrived, I was mildly curious as to all the buzz and people around what looked to me to be some warehouse or something in the middle of the city.  But then we went through the gate, and coming up the vom and into the splendor of color, the emerald green grass and the crazy dimensions, and the people right there almost on top of the players in those crisp white unis and the monstah and the palpable sense of history.  Man.  I remember it like it was yesterday.  One of the truly great, life changing moments for me.  Literally, from that moment on, I loved the Boston Red Sox.  Of course, that autumn, I was broken in quick to the torcher that would accompany that love.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Yoshimi25. Show Yoshimi25's posts

You know, it's funny...I really have no decent response.  I cannot tell you why, I can only tell you that I do.   And despite their dismal start, I still do.  And if we finish in last place, I still will.  And if we only win two games this whole long year, I still will. 

It isn't logical.  For me, it simply is what it is. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

Born in Winthrop.  Lived in West Springfield for the 1953-54 seasons and listened to Curt Gowdy call the games.  Ted Williams.  Missed most of seasons from 1962 to 1999 because I was overseas or living far away from Boston.  Rejoined the RSN when I could get Sox games on TV here in N. Virginia.  John Henry, Theo Epstein, and Terry Francona have made these the vintage years for the RSN and me. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

I moved up to Conneticut from Maryland in 1965 when I was 7.The town where I grew up in when I moved was about 50% Red Sox,48% Yankees and 2% others fans.One of the things that made me a Boston fan was this kid,who I always disliked from the day we met,was from NY and a Yankee fan.So,for me it kind of started out of spite.Much like Space,my first trip to Fenway took my breath away.I knew then I'd always be a Sox fan.I never regreted my choice to be a Red Sox fan.I would've been OK with winning a couple of titles before 2004 though.But,I suppose,waiting 38 years to see a World Championship really made me appreciate it all that much more.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from fireballer5.8. Show fireballer5.8's posts

What's makes you think I love the Red Sox?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

In Response to Re: Why do you love the Red Sox?:
    [QUOTE]What's makes you think I love the Red Sox?
    Posted by fireballer5.8[/QUOTE]So why are you posting on this thread? Ignore.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from fireballer5.8. Show fireballer5.8's posts

That's not very neighborly in this land of Mr. Rogers.    

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from fireballer58. Show fireballer58's posts

a third f'n guy of me?^

and because the red sox play baseball and the three months of the year there is no baseball my life flat out sucks. best game in the world no questions asked. youre automatically a moron if you dont like baseball because "not enough happens"

things are happening on every pitch

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

[QUOTE]a third f'n guy of me?^ and because the red sox play baseball and the three months of the year there is no baseball my life flat out sucks. best game in the world no questions asked. youre automatically a moron if you dont like baseball because "not enough happens" things are happening on every pitch
    Posted by fireballer58[/QUOTE]I think it's the same guy. He just keeps moving the period every time he gets banned.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Yoshimi25. Show Yoshimi25's posts

[QUOTE]a third f'n guy of me?^ and because the red sox play baseball and the three months of the year there is no baseball my life flat out sucks. best game in the world no questions asked. youre automatically a moron if you dont like baseball because "not enough happens" things are happening on every pitch
    Posted by fireballer58[/QUOTE]

I did get a laugh out of this!  Yep, I can agree with you on that one!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

Why do I love the RedSox?
    Let me count the ways:

They haven't divorced me.
    They offer a roller-coaster ride of emotions for less money than wining and dining for a couple of years.
    No dear John letters.
    They annually renew  hope springs eternal.

They don't ask me to clean out the garage.
    They don't care what position the toilet seat is in.
    They give me the freedom to enjoy them at my leisure.
    They don't ask me to cut the lawn.

They allow for a relationship where others may join in.
    This is a biggie.

They will likely be there after I no longer am.
    This means they will find other hearts to break - and lift.
    They allow me to replace my PC mouse every few weeks and explore the latest in technology. Many a mouse has bit the dust. But it's cheaper than a law suit.

They remind me of how fickle love really is...

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from xorsed. Show xorsed's posts

I love them, because I love them. Silly answer maybe, but that's the way it is.
    I'm from Massachusetts. I can't think of rooting for another team. And even though I live on the other side of the planet right now, I follow them as closely as I can.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from elvis-surfs. Show elvis-surfs's posts

i dont love em...i am bloody annoyed by them...'they killed my father and now they are coming after me'...

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I lived in Milwaukee in the late 60's about 2 blocks from the old County Stadium. The Brewers came to town and I became a big fan. Paying $1 for bleacher seats or watching the games for free from a nearby cliff overlooking the stadium. Naturally, I became a huge Tommy Harper fan. My family moved to Portland, Maine in the summer of 1970. Harper was traded in the fall of '71 to the Sox and I switched to the Sox. I was hooked right away. I used to score the games by radio. I cried in '75. I love baseball. I always have. I can't believe next year will be my 40th year as a Sox fan.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from fireballer58. Show fireballer58's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Why do you love the Red Sox? : I think it's the same guy. He just keeps moving the period every time he gets banned.
    Posted by carnie[/QUOTE]

oh well thats a little better to know, thanks

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from fenwayjack2. Show fenwayjack2's posts

In Response to Why do you love the Red Sox?:
    [QUOTE]For me, my love affair with the Red Sox started in the summer of 1967 in Augusta Maine. Like most 9 year old boys in my neighborhood I loved to play baseball, although I had never paid much attention to the proffessional sport. Both my father and grandfather were huge Red Sox fans though, so the Sox game was always either on the TV or the radio at our house. Something about that 1967 team really captured my imagination. It could have been Yaz, Tony C., George Scott or Jim Lonborg, but by the end of the year I was following the Red Sox as religiously as my male progenitors. I've been a Red Sox fan through thick and thin ever since. Granted this year's team is off to a very bad start, but I am still, and will remain a Red Sox fan. I will root for them even when, maybe especially when, they are down.
    Posted by carnie[/QUOTE]

I don't love them one bit.  I was a huge fan of the 03 & 04 teams because they were they were unruly, extreme, the very opposite of the guys in the pinstripes. However these guys amuse me when I bother to tune in.  As long as somebody, hell anybody, knocks the Yanks out I'm fine even if the Sox don't even make the playoffs.  On the other hand I have knots in my stomach when I watch the Bruins. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from elvis-surfs. Show elvis-surfs's posts

ok, really I was a stats geek from day 1 back in 67...followed Yaz's numbers religiously...all the stats for the majors would be listed in the g
    Globe every Sunday, I would study them, noticing the changes to the thousandth...would watch the games under the maple tree - took the TV outside - with my grandmother...bloody sox, thanks Curt...now I surf in Cali and try to not fully obsess...I think I am failing...my girlfriend is going to kill me if the sox dont...

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Schumpeters-Ghost. Show Schumpeters-Ghost's posts

Why?

"This is really a love story,
    an affair 'twixt a town and team.
    A town that had waited and waited
    for what seemed an impossible dream ..."

It starts with listening to Ken Coleman and dreaming of being Rico. 

It continues with "take your shoes off, put your feet up; relaaaaxxx - and be a sox-watcher"

Then it becomes clear at 10 years old watching Bernie Carbo launching the most improbable home run in world series history.

The heartache of lost seasons 77, 78 and 79.

Maybe it's watching Dewey launch a laser at 1 am eastern time, while playing a meaningless game in Seattle and jumping around my bedroom silently so as not to get caught watching the game.

It is the love of dark days and hoping that Chico Walker would "pan out"

It certainly has something to do with Dave Henderson hitting a bomb off Donnie Moore sending a 21 year old into the front yard of his home on the south shore, while screaming we are going back to Boston!

I suppose it had to be love when I was thinking that Boddicker-Hurst-Clemens could beat anyone in a playoff series. 

Could be Troy Oleary taking over a game in Cleveland; but it also has something to do with Wakefield ripping off wins out of nowhere.

Things like Guapo, who's your daddy, Morgan Magic, "Nomar's Better", the Gold Dust Twins, Yaz, Boomer and the Crunch Bunch, Reid Nichols, Rick Miller, Glenn Hoffman, Skip Lockwood, Soup's on!

It's the love of wondering why would you trade Aase?  And why would you keep Mike Paxton?  Predicting greatness for Phil Plantier while wondering what the heck is wrong with Oil Can?

And of course it was all made real by 4 nights in october. 

Something like that.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from amishrockstar. Show amishrockstar's posts

It was the WS in 75 for me... looked into the history of the team and Fenway.. I like old storied things.. being from the New Orleans the nearest AL team is those expansion Rangers(what would Walter Johnson do). Been to Fenway and played at the Field of Dreams..add 2004 and 07.. the bucket list is getting filled.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from kimsaysthis. Show kimsaysthis's posts

i dont love em...i am bloody annoyed by them...'they killed my father and now they are coming after me'...  -- Elvis
    ---------------------------------------------------------

LOL.  My dad's a Yankee fan -- originally from the Bronx, New York.  Go figure.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from losmediasrojas. Show losmediasrojas's posts

My earliest memories are of Rico visiting a local hot dog stand, a ghoulish image of Tony C's eye in the newspaper, and the Red Sox clinching the 67 Pennant.  On TV, I saw all these people going nuts and running on the field.  I was 6 at the time and got caught up in all of the collective hysteria.  I remember the elementary school having a World Series game on in the cafeteria.  From this point on I was hooked.  In 68, I spent almost every nickel I had on baseball cards and I tried to watch every game on TV or listen to it on radio.  I would even try to stay up for the conclusion of the West Coast games with a little transistor radio sitting by my pillow. 

In 69, my father, who was never much into sports, took my brothers and I to Fenway.  They played the expansion Royals and won 8 to 2.  The Sox hit four homers with Rico knocking out two over the monstah.  Rico also hit two the next time I went a game with a friend a year or so later.  Fenway seemed magical. 

Through the years there was a lot of heartache, but baseball was always an escape from the real heartaches in life.  After moving to the West Coast and the 86 disappointment, my interest waned a bit.  I became embroiled in other matters, but still usually went to see them when they came to Oakland, and I always followed them in the postseason. 

The buzz created by the 03 team rekindled that old passion, and since then I feel like I've reverted back to being a child.  I guess that's where the "love" stems from.  The Red Sox give me the feeling that at least for the moment nothing else matters in the world.  It also connects me to my younger brother who passed away in the 90s.  We both shared the same passion.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from 1for89. Show 1for89's posts

Baltimore 64.600-
    NY Yankees 64.600-
    Toronto 66.5001
    Tampa Bay 38.2733.5
    Boston 29.1824.5

I also enjoy real fans (i.e., not the drunk guys screaming obscenities) who enjoy a good baseball game.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from RS75. Show RS75's posts

I am a first time poster though I've been following the discussions for a long time.  I first saw Red Sox at Fenway against Baltimore in 1974.  The home town team lost, but I was hooked. 

1975 was when I truly fell in love with Fenway and the team.  I saw the exhilarating arrival of Lynn, Rice and Burleson over thirty games, all of them from the bleachers, a few rows above the RS pen - a location which also allowed for true appreciation of the Evans' magic in right field.  With several regulars in the bleachers, it was quite a party atmosphere with the fans exchanging small talk with the players in the bullpen, and even birthday celebrations for players.

While RS did not deliver a World Series title for another 29 years, the thrills and joy provided by the 1975 RS team made me a life-long fan!

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from law2009a. Show law2009a's posts

m