Why does every conversation about David Ortiz have to be so venomous (on both sides)?

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxdirtdog. Show redsoxdirtdog's posts

Re: Why does every conversation about David Ortiz have to be so venomous (on both sides)?

In response to moonslav59's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Moon,

Here in lies the problem I have with your thesis.  Of course Bill, Stiffy, et al. have a decidedly obvious inclination toward the "race baiting.....  racist......  bigoted......  etc.....   The problem I have with you, & this line of thinking is that it is so intellectually lazy.  As a fiscal conservative / social liberal to moderate, I take great offense in your broad brush painting of ALL conservatives as being bigoted, a la MSNBC's mantra.  It's sad!  & below you!  If you have a problem with an individual displaying quasi "racist" /. bigoted rhetoric, then call them out.  Don't play this mamby pamby game of alluding to "racist" rhetoric by "some" on this board.  Man up & call it what it is at the time that it is said.  I AGREE.....  that Bill & Stiffy routinely traffic in this word play.  So just FFFFFF'n say it at the time, & leave the rest of us out of your fantasy of ALL conservative being "racist."  Seriously....  Stop the nibbling at the edges.  You WELL KNOW that I have  been one of the biggest antagonist with respect to Bill & Stiffy playing the racial demagoguery card.  So cut the shhhhhhhITE with the "some" on this board" BS.  Just come out & say it!  Don't lump the rest of us in with these trolls.

Sorry to get this in your face, but I'm offended by your broad brush.

Never even came close to even implying all , most or even a significant amount of conservatives are bigots or racists.

I'm not lazy- just perceptive.

[/QUOTE]

Moon,

As you well know, I have been one of the biggest antagonist to Bill & Stiffy's veiled racism.  I have called it out AT THE TIME, when it happened.  I don't however, cast aspersions on those around them who happen to feel a certain way about a certain subject, imputing "racist" motives on everything, based soley upon my anti-racist, anti-gay bias.  I find it interesting that you are this vocal on this particular subject, painting with a broad brush, but casually stepped aside during the latest debate when one particular poster decided to condemn gays in no uncertain terms?  This poster is well known, and she is more than vocal.  You were there, but had absolutely nothing to say?

I guess it's all about whose ox is being gored?  Do you pick & choose who certain rhetoric is acceptable from?  Can I get a cheat sheet on the matrix by which we choose to confront such vile rhetoric?

My point?  If you're going to paint with a broad brush, why not just come out & name names?  Call it when you see it.  Don't allude to nebulous inferred racism, by some amorphous some.....  Just call out who you are talking about, & leave the rest of us out of this.

For the record.....  I abhor the nit-picking at Papi!  He is the greatest Red Sox hero of our time.  Perhaps the greatest in the past......   60+ years!  I love the guy like few other Boston Sports Heroes.  Larry Bird & Bobby Orr are the closest in my formative lifetime.  KG & Peirce pale in comparison.  Papi has been an epically transformative sports figure in Boston!  So I take no backseat to fighting the anti Papi-bashing crusaders.  I'm simply tired of the universal cries of racism, designed to shut down debate, simply because of a few ABVIOUS nit-wits.

3. This post has been removed.

4. This post has been removed.

5. This post has been removed.

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxdirtdog. Show redsoxdirtdog's posts

Re: Why does every conversation about David Ortiz have to be so venomous (on both sides)?

In response to JoseLaguna's comment:
    [QUOTE]

You can't name specific posters or else you will be banned. Doing that is verboten by the mods. The thread this a.m. about Crawford included most of them but then BDC took down that thread.

[/QUOTE]

I don't get it Lagoon.  Why are you letting the mythical 10 - 15 play you?  Why do you let Bill, Stiffy, & his friends live rent free in your head?  They're playing you! 

IRONIC ?

Unfortunately.....  only you know I'm mimicing you & your words to others.  The only one who won't get the irony?  YOU!  LOL

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnchiladaT. Show EnchiladaT's posts

[QUOTE]

In response to EnchiladaT's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I want to ad that I have watched this thread for days and nothing disgusted me more than the above post by moonslav59

JD Drew was bludgeoned here in Boston, was that racist? Easily the most dissapointing post by moonslav59 ever. And I could go on and on, I use the "Drew" example as the easiest counter but obviously there is much more that could be said... but why beat a dead horse. The dead horse being "racism" as it barely registers on the national level any longer. Most of us have grown up.

[/QUOTE]

JD Drew was no Papi- not even close.

Racism in America is not a "dead horse".

You, sir, are in denial.

[/QUOTE]

You are wrong! I will criticize Ortiz all I want and it won't be because he is black!  U blanketed the entire populace of people knocking Ortiz as racists. You should be more responsible for your words than they... injecting race into a conversation that really is about Ortiz annullay insisting on MORE respect.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnchiladaT. Show EnchiladaT's posts

In response to JoseLaguna's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Some on this forum ( maybe 10-15 ) over the years are politically ultra-conservative, bigoted, racist, and narrow minded.  I believe that Moonslav was alluding to them. Those 10-15 also start most threads and post the most, inflame, incite, and troll the most. They are here to annoy Sox fans and to inject politics into the forum.

Liberals don't come here to divide the forum. Most controversial threads are started and kept alive by conservatives and rival fans. It is blatantly obvious. Many simpletons are brainwashed by radio talk shows and regard it as gospel and objective and sincere when the hosts have admitted that it is only ENTERTAINMENT and not responsible journalism. 

Nobody is painting with a broad brush here.  Look at the threads and take note of who starts them day after day. The most astute members start threads that disappear in one day and that is why they stop doing so. Meanwhile a KFC thread goes on for days.

[/QUOTE]

Really? Why did you target yazzer for this behaviour? He is a liberal. I think I could build a list of posters you accuse of trying to injur/divide the forum who are Liberals.

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Never even came close to even implying all , most or even a significant amount of conservatives are bigots or racists.

I'm not lazy- just perceptive.

[/QUOTE]

Just a suggestion: instead of saying that a few posters here are bigoted, why not just name them so others won't think they are in that group. Frankly, I see only two here who are consistently bigoted: Softy and Bill.

Those are the two that are so obvious, but what of those who come afterwards and defend them by saying they "are not racist" or bigoted, and also pile on with the same venom and absurd overboard criticisms of Papi?

I don't keep track of every poster's name. Some change so often, it's hard to know who is who around here anymore.

I really don't think my statement was "broad brush". I undertsand that many posters can disagree with what Papi did and not have a shred of racism in them, but to me it is clear that there is a strong racial element to the continuous thread after thread bashing of the biggest Sox hero ever. I mean seriously, Papi has been underpaid by $40M not even counting his post-season value! He is stuck between a rock and a hard place by the QO- loss of draft pick MLB rule that pretty much assures he's not going to make $34-40M/2 on the open market, which is probably what he might get without the team losing a 1st rounder.

Nobody likes seeing these things go public, but Papi's case is unique. Perhaps no player in recent MLB history has done more to bring 3 rings to his team than Papi. He wears his heart on his sleeve and is vocal. Maybe that upsets a lot of people. I'm fine with that, but this and other threads have clearly gone overboard. It's been ongoing on this site for years. yes, there are 2 clear ring leaders, but when posters join in without distancing themselves from these clowns, and even some who go out of their way to defend them, it's hard not to believe they share the same feelings and perspectives... either that or they don't even know what bogotry is to know if they themselves are one or not.

It seems clear to me.

Racism and bigotry is clear to me. It is still a force in the world today. Some here claim it is not. That does not make them a racist or bigot, but when it is being clearly exhibited right here on this thread, and someone denies it exists, I can't help but wonder.

Racism and bigotry have their foundation in ignorance, and being ignorant does not mean one is necessarily evil, but that's a point better discussed on a different forum. 

I stand by my opinion. I'm not painting all Papi criticizers or bashers as racists. I'm not sure Jose Laguna's claim that there are 10-15 is accurate, but the discrimination spectrum is not always as clear as night and day.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Moon,

As you well know, I have been one of the biggest antagonist to Bill & Stiffy's veiled racism.  I have called it out AT THE TIME, when it happened.  I don't however, cast aspersions on those around them who happen to feel a certain way about a certain subject, imputing "racist" motives on everything, based soley upon my anti-racist, anti-gay bias. 

I hope you are not implying that I cast racism around all the time. I don't.

I find it interesting that you are this vocal on this particular subject, painting with a broad brush, but casually stepped aside during the latest debate when one particular poster decided to condemn gays in no uncertain terms?  This poster is well known, and she is more than vocal.  You were there, but had absolutely nothing to say?

I honestly do not recall that thread. I have battled with softy many times about his anti-gay position.

(Note: I don't read every post and often purposely skip some poster's posts.)

I guess it's all about whose ox is being gored?  Do you pick & choose who certain rhetoric is acceptable from?  Can I get a cheat sheet on the matrix by which we choose to confront such vile rhetoric?

If I read any "vile rhetoric", I will respond. I am a very strong supporter of diversity and equal rights to all.

My point?  If you're going to paint with a broad brush, why not just come out & name names?  Call it when you see it.  Don't allude to nebulous inferred racism, by some amorphous some.....  Just call out who you are talking about, & leave the rest of us out of this.

Like I said earlier, I do not keep track of every poster's name, especially since so many of the racists and bigots have had to change their names several times, and some, i suspect have multiple names, but I do know softy is an obvious racist and bigot. BILL may not be an intentional bigot, I just think he does not see the whole picture too well and jumps to conclusions based on limited facts.

For the record.....  I abhor the nit-picking at Papi!  He is the greatest Red Sox hero of our time.  Perhaps the greatest in the past......   60+ years!  I love the guy like few other Boston Sports Heroes.  Larry Bird & Bobby Orr are the closest in my formative lifetime.  KG & Peirce pale in comparison.  Papi has been an epically transformative sports figure in Boston!  So I take no backseat to fighting the anti Papi-bashing crusaders.  I'm simply tired of the universal cries of racism, designed to shut down debate, simply because of a few ABVIOUS nit-wits.

I see your point, but feel some people pile on after reading posts from the bigots while going out of their way to praise them right after they make it known where their foundation is. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

JD Drew was bludgeoned here in Boston, was that racist? Easily the most dissapointing post by moonslav59 ever. And I could go on and on, I use the "Drew" example as the easiest counter but obviously there is much more that could be said... but why beat a dead horse. The dead horse being "racism" as it barely registers on the national level any longer. Most of us have grown up.

[/QUOTE]

JD Drew was no Papi- not even close.

Racism in America is not a "dead horse".

You, sir, are in denial.

[/QUOTE]

You are wrong! I will criticize Ortiz all I want and it won't be because he is black!  U blanketed the entire populace of people knocking Ortiz as racists. You should be more responsible for your words than they... injecting race into a conversation that really is about Ortiz annullay insisting on MORE respect.

1) I am not calling you a racist for foolishly believing that "racism barely registers on the national level any longer". It has taken on a new form for some, and many have never "grown up".

2) I did not blanket the "entire polpulace of people knocking Ortiz as being racist". No place did I even come close to saying that or even implying that. It is you who needs to be more responsible with your words.

3) Clearly, for some here, this is just a conversation about Papi's near annual insistence on more respect (and money), and some thinking he is wrong for doing so are not racists or bigots, but this has been a ongoing bashfest spread over many threads and years. The amount of venom spewed is way out of proportion to the off the field deeds of Papi.

Papi's situation is unique. His "off seasons" between ages 32-34 certainly warranted caution on Sox management's part, and I have never criticized Sox management for not going longterm with Papi after his 5 year deal expired after the 2011 season. Papi's age and 3 years "slump" are concerns. I have never said Papi deserves some outlandish deal either in money or length. 

My position is that Papi lacks the leverage that most MLB players have due to the fact that not many teams will signan aging FA to a short-term deal, if it means they lose a 1st round draft pick. Most QO free agents sign long term deals. Most are younger. I get that, and that is why I never fault Sox management for not going too large or long, but I cannot understand why it is so upsetting to peopler that Papi's only real leverage is to go public. No player has done what Papi has done in the postseason.  Looking from his persective, he has 9according to fangraphs) been underpaid by about $40M since joining the Sox, and that does not include his post season value, which is off the charts when compared to other high paid ML'ers.

I've never heard him threaten to sit out a year, to hold out, or demand a trade like many pro players have done over the years. he has talked of "going elsewhere", but has clearly articulated that he wants to stay in Boston. Papi may not have much time left. He's looking to maximize his income before that day finally comes when he hangs them up (hopefully, still in a Sox uniform).

I get the argument that he's making a ton of money, and that he has a year left on a signed contract, but I really don't see what is so harmful to claim he deserves more, deserves an extension, and of course ties it to "respect"- like most atheletes do. I can understand how others can see it much differently, but the tone and undertones associated with some of the criticisms here reeks of the old "there goes an uppity" you know what, and how dare he not be so thankful for what he has, despite the facts that show he has been underpaid (or as some see it: disrepsected).

Papi's 2013 playoff heroics alone were astronomical. His value to this team was near immeasurable. He had as many postseason HRs as the rest of th e team combined. The grand slam vs the Tigers was unforgettable. He had over a 4th of our team's WS hits. His WS OPS was about the same as the next two best Sox players combined. What he did in 2013 when combined with 2004 and 2007 is unprecendented. He's not JD Drew. He's not Manny, although at least Manny got $20M x 8 during a time when contracts were lower than now (and don't tell me manny's playing poor defense was the reason).

I have not given my position on what Papi is worth in 2015, or what I think the Sox should offer him now or after this season's over. If the Sox want to wait to extend, it's fine with me, as long as we don't lose Papi to another team, but to me, Papi has clearly earned the right to ask for an extension. If anybody in sports history has ever deserved it, Papi is that guy. So, for anyone to go off so vehemently on Papi raises a red flag to me. It does not mean they are automatically categorized as a racist or bigot, but if the history of bigotry and racism is there, then I do not think my connecting the dots is inappropriate. It is certainly less damaging than those who cannot bring themselves to make even one positive statement about Papi without attaching something negative to him, or those who want to declare racism dead in America, as if just saying it and believeing it makes it so.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnchiladaT. Show EnchiladaT's posts

Even now people are pushing "micro-aggression" labels onto people as if you can never have an opinion on someone who is not white. It is bologna!

So now I or anyone cannot criticize Ortiz out of fear of being called a racist. That is what you are doing - squashing opinions by instilling fear of false persecution.

Here it is: Wether he has a good year or an off-year Ortiz acts like an azz with his needing security and respect. The guy has been paid plenty. He should for once shut his face.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

[QUOTE]

Even now people are pushing "micro-aggression" labels onto people as if you can never have an opinion on someone who is not white. It is bologna!

So now I or anyone cannot criticize Ortiz out of fear of being called a racist. That is what you are doing - squashing opinions by instilling fear of false persecution.

Here it is: Wether he has a good year or an off-year Ortiz acts like an azz with his needing security and respect. The guy has been paid plenty. He should for once shut his face.

[/QUOTE]

Actually, more than any other time in his career, now is the most justifiable time to ask for more.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnchiladaT. Show EnchiladaT's posts

That is true, but what about all the other years? If winning means anything it should more to him than us, why start with the poor me tactics yet again and a possible tarnish on Spring Training.

Keep in mind he always gets his way, the team has yet to call his bluff. I would not bet he would be Mr. Happy if they did... Mo Vaughn, Clemens, etc.,..... all our favorites turned ugly when they didn't get that extra "security/respect"

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

In response to 2013soxchamps' comment:

Why does every conversation about David Ortiz have to be so venomous (on both sides)?

Because he is that good.

And because some of our posters are so dead sure that their fantasy GM skills aren't to be questioned.  How dare we question internet know-it-alls as compared to a true high level professional?  How dare we question his skill, drive or even ability to deal with injury ... uh, or lack of the same? 

I appreciate the fact that we have Big Papi supporters and that he has validated their support.  I don't understand the vitriol against him.  He's always been a colorful individual, not soft-spoken or cow-towing to the "sensible" fans here.  His flare is both enjoyed and dispised.  But he's always been worth any time invested, monies paid, and attention allotted. 

He's the same man who told the terrorists of the world that Boston wasn't owned by them but by Bostonians ...

The on field activities and the interviews are the same worth while person.

It's time that the negative voices edit their sure lack of support.  It's time that we all appreciate this rare individual before he is truly no longer MLB star capablle.

As far as being racist, that might be some of it.  But I remember feeling the same offense by people who kept saying Yaz was no longer a big leaguer ...  and after ten or twelve years of them saying it, they finally were right.   Too bad they did not appreciate Yaz - or do not appreciate Big Papi - for all they have meant AS THEY PLAY!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

In response to SinceYaz's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to 2013soxchamps' comment:
    [QUOTE]

Because he is that good.

[/QUOTE]

And because some of our posters are so dead sure that their fantasy GM skills aren't to be questioned.  How dare we question internet know-it-alls as compared to a true high level professional?  How dare we question his skill, drive or even ability to deal with injury ... uh, or lack of the same? 

I appreciate the fact that we have Big Papi supporters and that he has validated their support.  I don't understand the vitriol against him.  He's always been a colorful individual, not soft-spoken or cow-towing to the "sensible" fans here.  His flare is both enjoyed and dispised.  But he's always been worth any time invested, monies paid, and attention allotted. 

He's the same man who told the terrorists of the world that Boston wasn't owned by them but by Bostonians ...

The on field activities and the interviews are the same worth while person.

It's time that the negative voices edit their sure lack of support.  It's time that we all appreciate this rare individual before he is truly no longer MLB star capablle.

As far as being racist, that might be some of it.  But I remember feeling the same offense by people who kept saying Yaz was no longer a big leaguer ...  and after teon or twelve years of them saying it, they finally were right.   Too bad they did not appreciate Yaz - or do not appreciate Big Papi - for all they have meant AS THEY PLAY!

[/QUOTE]

An excellent post, SY.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

[QUOTE]

Moon,

As you well know, I have been one of the biggest antagonist to Bill & Stiffy's veiled racism.  I have called it out AT THE TIME, when it happened.  I don't however, cast aspersions on those around them who happen to feel a certain way about a certain subject, imputing "racist" motives on everything, based soley upon my anti-racist, anti-gay bias. 

I hope you are not implying that I cast racism around all the time. I don't.

I find it interesting that you are this vocal on this particular subject, painting with a broad brush, but casually stepped aside during the latest debate when one particular poster decided to condemn gays in no uncertain terms?  This poster is well known, and she is more than vocal.  You were there, but had absolutely nothing to say?

I honestly do not recall that thread. I have battled with softy many times about his anti-gay position.

(Note: I don't read every post and often purposely skip some poster's posts.)

If I read any "vile rhetoric", I will respond. I am a very strong supporter of diversity and equal rights to all.

Like I said earlier, I do not keep track of every poster's name, especially since so many of the racists and bigots have had to change their names several times, and some, i suspect have multiple names, but I do know softy is an obvious racist and bigot. BILL may not be an intentional bigot, I just think he does not see the whole picture too well and jumps to conclusions based on limited facts.

I see your point, but feel some people pile on after reading posts from the bigots while going out of their way to praise them right after they make it known where their foundation is. 

[/QUOTE]

moon, what some of us who have defended bill on this issue have pointed out, and what you have completely neglected to respond to, are the following:

1) He loved Bradley and was screaming for him to be the everyday outfielder.

2) He loved Iggy and was screaming for him to be the everyday shortstop.

I can go dig up some of the threads he started about these things.

You seem to be taking the position that someone can be 'selectively racist'.

A charge as serious as racism should not be made this carelessly.     

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

[QUOTE]

I want to ad that I have watched this thread for days and nothing disgusted me more than the above post by moonslav59

[/QUOTE]

I don't usually blame race for anything, but I think if Ellsbury had said 'you pay me or I leave', no one would be writing about it.  That's about what he did, and he left.

Whatever it is, I seriously do not think that, if Papi was the color of Lester, that the press would be in such an uproar.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

In response to pumpsie-green's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

OK, I will bite ...... Besides some "hot vacation spots (all inclusive for safty), please tell me/us about all the good things that comes out of Mexico since the year in our lord of 2000 ??????    BZZZZZZZZZ   Times up !!!

I rest my case.

[/QUOTE]

Thats fine, but it was MY case to rest. The sad part is that Bill doesn't even see where his attitude is bigoted-and thats the first step to fix it.

[/QUOTE]

I'm not sure how this is racist.

1-He's not saying anything specifically about Mexcans, just Mexico.

2-I think the defense against racism is truth.  There are a lot of places in this world that don't produce anything.  It usually has more to do with the gov't than the people.  That doesn't make it racist.  I think it does no one any good to ignore the inconvenient truths.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

In response to Joebreidey's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I don't usually blame race for anything, but I think if Ellsbury had said 'you pay me or I leave', no one would be writing about it.  That's about what he did, and he left.

Whatever it is, I seriously do not think that, if Papi was the color of Lester, that the press would be in such an uproar.

[/QUOTE]

Agreed.

I think the press made a story out of it because Ortiz has a history of speaking his mind.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Teakus. Show Teakus's posts

Big Papi is the most beloved Red Sox player of the modern era. He should be signed to a 2yr $30 million deal immediately (hopefully with a club option for a 3rd year), and I have no doubt that's what's gonna happen. I literally love David Ortiz, and so should every self respecting Red Sox fan!! Greatest clutch hitter I have EVER seen, great clubhouse guy, clean rep in the community. What's not to love?! Don't delay Ben....just get it done out of respect for our hero. He's earned a fast track contract.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Kingface12. Show Kingface12's posts

In response to Joebreidey's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to pumpsie-green's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

OK, I will bite ...... Besides some "hot vacation spots (all inclusive for safty), please tell me/us about all the good things that comes out of Mexico since the year in our lord of 2000 ??????    BZZZZZZZZZ   Times up !!!

I rest my case.

[/QUOTE]

Thats fine, but it was MY case to rest. The sad part is that Bill doesn't even see where his attitude is bigoted-and thats the first step to fix it.

[/QUOTE]

I'm not sure how this is racist.

1-He's not saying anything specifically about Mexcans, just Mexico.

2-I think the defense against racism is truth.  There are a lot of places in this world that don't produce anything.  It usually has more to do with the gov't than the people.  That doesn't make it racist.  I think it does no one any good to ignore the inconvenient truths.

[/QUOTE]

Take your blinders off.....the guy is a bigot. 

Sure he rooted for JBJ and Iggy because he's a fan (I think) but that doesn't take away the fact that he also has said A LOT of racially motivated things in the past and present.  The guy should be banned and I'm sure it will happen sooner rather than later.....

25. This post has been removed.