Why does every conversation about David Ortiz have to be so venomous (on both sides)?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from miscricket. Show miscricket's posts

Re: Why does every conversation about David Ortiz have to be so venomous (on both sides)?

One thing is for sure..the topic of David Ortiz is good for business on BDC. I think the Ortiz threads wind up with the most hits and comments..lol

Speaking as someone who admires Ortiz' talents on the field...but who does not admire him so much on a personal level..I will say this - the Ortiz threads become so contentious because the ardent Ortiz supporters..the ones who believe that he can do no wrong..ever..no matter what...etc must have everyone feel exactly the way they do. In their minds..there is no room for disagreement. If you are critical of Ortiz...you are immediately branded an Ortiz Hater and then subject to personal attack or insult....even though there is literally no other player on the team who is not subject to some criticisms at some times..etc...etc.

In other words..some people believe that Ortiz is above any commentary other than 100 percent unconditional love and support for everything he say or does.

I think you get my point. In other words there is no room for discussion or honest evaluation where our beloved Papi is concerned in the minds of some.

It's my belief that this behavior is much worse and makes the forum much more tedious than anything the Bill806's of this forum do. It's a discussion board..where people come to discuss, share opinions, agree, disagree and learn from each other.

A thread that has 1000+ comments where at least half of them are personal attacks at Bill ..etc. proves that quantity is NOT better than quality.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Re: Why does every conversation about David Ortiz have to be so venomous (on both sides)?

I lived in Portland, Maine for most of my life. Maine is about as white a state as can be, and was more so when I lived there than now (1972-2004).

We lived in a middle class residential area. I have 5 sisters and both parents still living. Since 1972, not one of my family has ever been pulled over by a cop in our neighborhood- not even once. 

I have a sister who lives in Brazil. She has an adopted child who is black. They come to maine every summer, but spend 90% of the time on Sebago Lake not at the Portland house, so my guess is they have been in the Portland neighborhood maybe 15-20 days over the last 10 years. My black nephew has been pulled over 5 times in our neighborhood, which is about 20% of the times he has driven there. He not an erratic driver, he doesn't even drink booze, and he wasn't speeding.

It's obvious to me, what it is all about, and for the black man in America to hear that racism is a nonfactor or is on the way out has to be as disheartening as the acts of racism themselves.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from slasher9. Show slasher9's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I lived in Portland, Maine for most of my life. Maine is about as white a state as can be, and was more so when I lived there than now (1972-2004).

We lived in a middle class residential area. I have 5 sisters and both parents still living. Since 1972, not one of my family has ever been pulled over by a cop in our neighborhood- not even once. 

I have a sister who lives in Brazil. She has an adopted child who is black. They come to maine every summer, but spend 90% of the time on Sebago Lake not at the Portland house, so my guess is they have been in the Portland neighborhood maybe 15-20 days over the last 10 years. My black nephew has been pulled over 5 times in our neighborhood, which is about 20% of the times he has driven there. He not an erratic driver, he doesn't even drink booze, and he wasn't speeding.

It's obvious to me, what it is all about, and for the black man in America to hear that racism is a nonfactor or is on the way out has to be as disheartening as the acts of racism themselves.

[/QUOTE]

folks...this is real.

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to tvfrank's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to slasher9's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

folks...this is real.

[/QUOTE]

Only right wing-nuts believe racism is a non-factor. Many after Obama was elected wanted their country back. They wanted their white country back. Remember not all right-wingers are racists, but all racists are right-wingers.

[/QUOTE]

This is way way way wrong.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxdirtdog. Show redsoxdirtdog's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

folks...this is real.

[/QUOTE]

Only right wing-nuts believe racism is a non-factor. Many after Obama was elected wanted their country back. They wanted their white country back. Remember not all right-wingers are racists, but all racists are right-wingers.

[/QUOTE]

This is way way way wrong.

[/QUOTE]

Thank you Moon!

it's time we took the country back from the mind-numbed blind ideologues on both political poles.

the polemic & demagogic rhetoric is so old & tired!

Anybody who believes that the REAL racism comes exclusively from the far Right is simply ignorant.  Time for them to grow up, put their big boy pants on, & read beyond all them journals favored by Sarah Palin.

EPICALLY stupid!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxdirtdog. Show redsoxdirtdog's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

folks...this is real.

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Looks like we finally found someone on the Far Left to match wits with the prescient socio-political commentary from Billy?

Brilliant!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxdirtdog. Show redsoxdirtdog's posts

Just a wild guess TVfrank....

you keep it tuned exclusively to The Cartoon Network and MSNBC?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnchiladaT. Show EnchiladaT's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

My last boss in America was black... my Die-Hard Left-Liberal friend made the comment "he only has his job because he is black".... 

And I voted for Obama patly because he was black... I simply got tired of Aussies, Britts, and Canadians telling me "America is too racist to elect a black President"... which I disagreed with.

Portland Maine has a lot of ethnic diversity in the city now, I do not know what you are talking about moon unless you are so elite you live ina gated community and sent your kids to Waynefleet.

10. This post has been removed.

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to EnchiladaT's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

My last boss in America was black... my Die-Hard Left-Liberal friend made the comment "he only has his job because he is black".... 

And I voted for Obama patly because he was black... I simply got tired of Aussies, Britts, and Canadians telling me "America is too racist to elect a black President"... which I disagreed with.

Portland Maine has a lot of ethnic diversity in the city now, I do not know what you are talking about moon unless you are so elite you live ina gated community and sent your kids to Waynefleet.

[/QUOTE]

I don't know any gated communities in Portland.

I lived in the city limits near Westbrook. Houses there go for about $140-200K now, but my dad bought ours for $30K back in '72.

What I am taking about ir reality. Your doubting this happened is telling... very telling.

Thousands of time my white family members have driven down my street to our house. We have never been pulled over. Never. My black nephew maybe has driven 20-25 times to our home. He has been pulled over 5 times. It's the truth. Go on denying it all you want. I was in the car 2 of the times, and I believe my nephew about the other 3 times, since once the cop came and knocked on our door to ask if he was staying with us. They had pulled him over 1 house down from ours.

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxdirtdog. Show redsoxdirtdog's posts

[QUOTE]

In response to redsoxdirtdog's comment:

Just a wild guess TVfrank....

you keep it tuned exclusively to The Cartoon Network and MSNBC?

You right-wing nuts stilled obsessed with female body parts? And bimbo Palin is one of yours. Another fun fact, the vast majority of morons in this country are conservatists. Redsoxdirtbag is a prime example.

Btw, I'm neither liberal or conservative. I can't stand either. One is wack-o and the other is spineless.

[/QUOTE]

You seem like such a reasoned fellow.

I'm not at all sure why I thought you were a bit tipped?

My bad ;)

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

Half time was great  ...

had plenty of color

plenty of skin (no wardrobe malfunction)

plenty of beat

plenty of patriotism

enjoyed it all

and enjoy Papi too 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnchiladaT. Show EnchiladaT's posts

Westbrook? Tha tis where the poor people lied in mu day, I am from Scarborough where the rich live. Nutter Way baby! 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxdirtdog. Show redsoxdirtdog's posts

LOL

perhaps you missed my comments about dear Sarah Palin.

pick up your pitchfork behind the line on the Far Right.  There's one with your name on it.  Seems it fell off the far Right pile & landed in the pile on the Far Left.

;)

come on now TVFrank....   seems I struck a nerve.  Jack down now.

18. This post has been removed.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnchiladaT. Show EnchiladaT's posts

[QUOTE]

Westbrook? Tha tis where the poor people lied in mu day, I am from Scarborough where the rich live. Nutter Way baby! 

[/QUOTE]

Heck man this forum sucks... I cannot even EDIT posts anymore and my above post made me look like an illiterate jack-azz (from Scarborough) Kiss

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

My family's home is 2 blocks from Deering High School. It's a nice middle class area.

21. This post has been removed.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxdirtdog. Show redsoxdirtdog's posts

Look Enchillada,

Moon seems to be willing to make some concessions.  Is he coming at it from a decidedly left of center position?  Sure.  When reasonably confronted, he concedes the point about the broader problem of racism being a non partisan one.  He's a reasonable guy.  Time to bury the hatchet with him.  I think at heart, you're both ok.  Let go of the micro pizzing matches.  Nobody wins.

TVFrank?  There's hope for him too.  

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnchiladaT. Show EnchiladaT's posts

Take Notes pike as u managed to find out moon grew up near Deering High School and I lived on Nutter Way. Go get em' tiger.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxdirtdog. Show redsoxdirtdog's posts

In response to JoseLaguna's comment:
    [QUOTE]

The OPer and Moonslav said many pages ago that their initial comments on this thread were about the forum basically and from their long experience here. Now everyone has forgotten that and now it is about Boston and Maine. It is obvious that there is still prejudice everywhere in the USA so why is that being discussed as if it is new? The issue I thought was exposed by the Leominster thread which singled out 10-15 racists on this forum back in July of 2012. BDC took down that thread within hours because it exposed the racists. 

[/QUOTE]

Oh please!  Let it go.  This would be a reasonable statement from anybody else.  You're like that kid (alfalfa) in It's a Wonderful Life.  Oh!  Why don't you go away and stop bothering people;

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Moon seems to be willing to make some concessions.  Is he coming at it from a decidedly left of center position?  Sure.

...but one of my very best and longtime friends is an ultraconservative!

(No joke)

Sections
Shortcuts