Why Does Everyone Think Hanrahan is Great? Didn't we hear the same thing with Bailey last winter?

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from traven. Show traven's posts

Re: Why Does Everyone Think Hanrahan is Great? Didn't we hear the same thing with Bailey last winter?

I would like to see just one Sox team get through a season without the mega-injuries they have had to put up with for the past few years.  I am not saying they would win it all - but certainly they have the horses to compete if they can stay healthy.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from raider3524. Show raider3524's posts

Re: Why Does Everyone Think Hanrahan is Great? Didn't we hear the same thing with Bailey last winter?

In response to traven's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I would like to see just one Sox team get through a season without the mega-injuries they have had to put up with for the past few years.  I am not saying they would win it all - but certainly they have the horses to compete if they can stay healthy.

[/QUOTE]

if ellsbury would stay healthy it would be nice...he's the one always getting hurt.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from traven. Show traven's posts

In response to raider3524's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

if ellsbury would stay healthy it would be nice...he's the one always getting hurt.

[/QUOTE]

Also the SP seems to have its moment on the DL every year...and the injuries seem to happen in bunches, not just one at a time.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

This is just another pathetic trolling thread based on lies.

Nobody here, let alone stating everybody, thinks Hanrahan is great. Nor has anyone even stated it. The closest someone has come to saying that is calling him a "beast" when hes right. Which he is.

A quick look at his stats would tell you that hes inconsistent, but when hes got his control hes almost unhittable. He wasnt brought in to replace Bailey. Oh, and to judge bailey after coming back from a thumb injury and using those stats is just cherry picking to try and support your trollish post.

And one more thing. Hill, are you going to post the same thing on every Hanrahan thread here comparing him to Jenks as well as on MLBTR too? That seems a little trollish. The first time could be considered some kind of dry humor. After seeing it here 2-3 times as well as on MLBTR its become trollish.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Not everyone realizes it, but when we won in 2004 and 2007, our rotation was extremely healthy. 2004 featured 157 starts from our rotation.  Given we had 4 doubleheaders, that is virtually like not even having a hangnail.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from raider3524. Show raider3524's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Also the SP seems to have its moment on the DL every year...and the injuries seem to happen in bunches, not just one at a time.

[/QUOTE]

yeah...i would like one more starter.maybe somone like jair jurgens... 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from raider3524. Show raider3524's posts

In response to Joebreidey's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Not everyone realizes it, but when we won in 2004 and 2007, our rotation was extremely healthy. 2004 featured 157 starts from our rotation.  Given we had 4 doubleheaders, that is virtually like not even having a hangnail.

[/QUOTE]

yeah..and right now i like our starting 5..

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from michaelsjr. Show michaelsjr's posts

Don't know about "great" but think he is a focused, disciplined and talented athlete who wants to win ballgames.   That makes him a "great" player in my book and glad he's coming to Boston.

Still smarting over losing Pap, but Hanrahan's 2012 season was at least as good as Pap's - K's aside -  and his demeanor seems calm and confident - a welcome change from Aceves' rants, imo.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to michaelsjr's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Don't know about "great" but think he is a focused, disciplined and talented athlete who wants to win ballgames.   That makes him a "great" player in my book and glad he's coming to Boston.

Still smarting over losing Pap, but Hanrahan's 2012 season was at least as good as Pap's - K's aside -  and his demeanor seems calm and confident - a welcome change from Aceves' rants, imo.

[/QUOTE]

If hes focused and can keep his control, hes lights out. If not, he'll walk the whole lineup.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I am not wild about the  rotation right now, and i di doubt anyone else joins it.

At this point, I am hoping Rubby DLR can resume what he was doing in 2011 prior to TJ.  The bst chance for an upgrade will have to come from below...

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from raider3524. Show raider3524's posts

In response to notin's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I am not wild about the  rotation right now, and i di doubt anyone else joins it.

At this point, I am hoping Rubby DLR can resume what he was doing in 2011 prior to TJ.  The bst chance for an upgrade will have to come from below...

[/QUOTE]

rubby DLR might be even better than jurjens...

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Neither of his major injuries were his fault, and both of them would have had a similar effect on any player it happened to.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from raider3524. Show raider3524's posts

In response to TheExaminer's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Neither of his major injuries were his fault, and both of them would have had a similar effect on any player it happened to.

[/QUOTE]

yeah...bad luck...wrong place wrong time...lol..it's baseball.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnchiladaT. Show EnchiladaT's posts

The only thing I got out of this thread is that good posters think the Thread was started by a troll.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

In response to Ice-Cream's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Hanrahan is a big upgrade over Bailey. 

I wonder what the Red Sox will do with Bailey. 

Right now, I really like Boston's bullpen. 

[/QUOTE]

What?  Bailey's 2012 season was terrible due to injury, but he'd been dominant the 3 years before that, twice an all star plus rookie of the year.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

You can always count on ADG to bash the Red Sox. I have a slogan for you. "ADG - Bashing the Red Sox since August 14 2012".

[/QUOTE]

I haven't seen anyone possessing such a hatred of the RS on any board, even NYY boards.

[/QUOTE]

That fool pumpsiegreen was banned on talksox cuz we had enough of his crap.

[/QUOTE]

It's worth mentioning that Pumpsie has been fine since he returned here and admitted he'd been over-the-top on talksox.  I think you should let that go now.....

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

In response to JimfromFlorida's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Just remember Bailey was hurt and really had a short stint in the minors so his 19 games were really his ST.

If the BP is Hanrahan, Bailey, Bard, Melancon, ACEVES, TARZAWA, Uehara, Morales  and Breslow just for starters I'll be happy

[/QUOTE]

That's nine, so probably two will have to be moved....

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

In response to ADG's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to carnie's comment:
    [QUOTE]

You can always count on ADG to bash the Red Sox. I have a slogan for you. "ADG - Bashing the Red Sox since August 14 2012".

[/QUOTE]

carnie - Simple question. Have they deserved bashing since August 14th? How many games did the Red Sox win last year, with a $190M payroll? Did they deserve a stroke for a nice try?

[/QUOTE]

His point is that you are relentlessly negative about everything they do, every player they have, etc.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I'm not wild about the rotation but am optomistic with Farrel back in the fold. I think that we can expect a rebound from Lester who did pitch much better in the second half of last year and so too did Buchholz. Not sure that I agree that the best chance for an upgrade has to come from below...Dempster is certainly an upgrade over the trio of Matsusaka, Stewart & Bard who combined had an ERA north of 6. Beckett wasn't exactly sterling either with an ERA north of 5. While many pined for us to sign McCarthy (puzzle me?) and have lammented the signing of Dempster. Lost on all of them is that Dempster has been nothing but consistant the last 5 season. Averageing north of 30 starts & 200 inning while pitching in the friendly confines of Wrigley Field (not exactly a pitchers park). If we add Lackey's return to the equasion, if healthy, as a replacement for Beckett's spot last year that also can be an viewed as an upgrade over the group we ran out there last year. Lets not forget the work that Morales did once inserted in the rotation and Doubront in his forst year as a big league starter didn't exactly stink up the joint as our 4 or 5th.

Lester & Buccholz 60 starts-360 innings-sub 4 ERA

(4.00 ERA that's an ave of 2.66 runs per 6 innings pitched)

Dempster & Lackey 50 starts-300 innings sub 4.25 era

(4.25 ERA that's an ave of 2.83 runs per 6 innings pitched)

Doubront & Morales 45 starts-270 innings sub 4.5 era

(4.50 ERA thats an ave of 3.00 runs per 6 innings pitched)

Which add up to 155 starts @ 6 innings per outing = 930 innings with a combined ERA of 4.21...or a total of 436 runs allowed. So if we get 155 starts and 930 innings out of the starters above. That leaves 528 innings and 7 starts that will need to be assumed by the bullpen...if the bullpen pitches to the same ERA they'd give up an additional 251 runs bringing the total earned runs allowed to 687...if we assume that we'll score 800 runs that's a puts us in the ball park for a 100 plus run differentail. Not that giving up 687 runs is a good thing, but it's not horrible given that we play 81 games in one of the best hitters parks in the league...

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

ben collects relievers like some folks collect shoes...most are unnecesary...but it's perfect for his m.o. of making lateral meaningless moves that makes him look like he is doing something...but he simply does not have it in him to sign someone worth signing/game changer...he is simply too afraid of what could go wong...

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

In response to notin's comment:
    [QUOTE]

THe bottom line is the Sox added another really good pitcher to their pen, regardless of whether or not he closes.  and added him by only trading away Sands, Pimental, and possibly Melancon (so far).

Unless there is a major name added to this squad heading back to Pitt, Cherington should not be fired.  He should be arrested.  Because this deal is flat out robbery.  Even if Hanrahan tanks, the liklihood that Sands and Pimental ever did anything in Boston is fairly remote anyway.  Essentially this deal boils down to Melancon for Hanrahan, which is why I do not get all the "upgrade over Bailey" chatter.  The Sox still have Bailey.  The upgrade is over Melancon and his 6.20ERA over the 45IP....

[/QUOTE]

It's likely that Iglesias or Lavarnway will be shipped to the Pirates. it will be interesting to see, who the other player coming to Boston is. Unless it's McCutcheon, Ben is a fool to do this deal. It just shows what an incompetent GM he his by trading Reddick to get Bailey in the first place.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

In response to JimfromFlorida's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Just remember Bailey was hurt and really had a short stint in the minors so his 19 games were really his ST.

If the BP is Hanrahan, Bailey, Bard, Melancon, ACEVES, TARZAWA, Uehara, Morales  and Breslow just for starters I'll be happy

[/QUOTE]

You seem to forget that the best BP in the majors doesn't mean a thing with a mediocre rotation, which is what we have.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

In response to georom4's comment:

ben collects relievers like some folks collect shoes...most are unnecesary...but it's perfect for his m.o. of making lateral meaningless moves that makes him look like he is doing something...but he simply does not have it in him to sign someone worth signing/game changer...he is simply too afraid of what could go wong...

If the Joel Hanrahan deal goes through, it will mark the third straight offseason that the Red Sox have acquired a two-time All Star closer (after Bobby Jenks and Andrew Bailey).

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

In response to hill55's comment:
    [QUOTE]

If the Joel Hanrahan deal goes through, it will mark the third straight offseason that the Red Sox have acquired a two-time All Star closer (after Bobby Jenks and Andrew Bailey).

[/QUOTE]

And meanwhile they cut loose a four-time All Star closer...now five-time.