Why does everyone want to send Youk packing? Is it time to say bye to Papi?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmmyslinski. Show jmmyslinski's posts

Why does everyone want to send Youk packing? Is it time to say bye to Papi?

I've been suprised to see so many people ready to ditch Youk after a tough year.  before 2011 Youk has been the most consistant hitter, and most reliable infielder for the Red Sox.  I guarantee he will work twice as hard this year, hopefully with good health.  He is an identity for this team and needs to be at 3rd base next year.  This team can be force next year.  I'm pretty sure Papi is on his way out of town.  It's gonna be tough to see him in the other dugout.  Rays or Yankees would not suprise me either way.  I would like to see Lavarnway at DH if Papi leaves (this would allow Varitek to stick around to help coach the young catchers) .  It would free up some cash to keep Papalbon, and maybe bring in a replacement for Lackey and/or Beckett.    

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

Re: Why does everyone want to send Youk packing? Is it time to say bye to Papi?

Because Youk can't stay on the field? And as far as I'm concerned, the only guy in my memory who earned the right to retire in the home whites more than David Ortiz was Yaz.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

AS DAD WOULD SAY ........   "SON, BECAUSE IT'S TIME" !!!!!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from susan250. Show susan250's posts

In Response to Re: Why does everyone want to send Youk packing? Is it time to say bye to Papi?:
    Because Youk can't stay on the field? And as far as I'm concerned, the only guy in my memory who earned the right to retire in the home whites more than David Ortiz was Yaz.
    Posted by carnie

I agree with you about Youk not being healthy for the last 2 seasons.  I also agree with many posters who thought that the Red Sox should have signed Beltre and traded Youk.  It just wasn't something that the Red Sox had any intentions of doing before the season started.  Not sure that he will be any better at DH than Ortiz.  I really want to see Ortiz end his career with the Red Sox and would be very unhappy if this doesn't happen. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from sindarin-erebor. Show sindarin-erebor's posts

Declining BA, OBP. Average at best fielding at 3B, strikeouts increasing and averaged around 110 games the last two years. Most of all IMO, I am tired of his tough guy talk. We have Middlebrooks and Aviles who can fill the role next year.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from seannybboi. Show seannybboi's posts

Even Youk is accepting the fact that his days in Boston are running out. 
    Plus Youk has to change his position in order for him to have long run career in major.  1B or DH.  We have our 1B for next 7 yrs.  Youk can be our DH if Papi walks this offseason however, Youk will be in the same situation as Papi after spending few yrs at DH spot.  He might prefer being traded also. 
    I love Youk thou.  Tough player

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

Seven times on the DL, that's why. He's a gamer but time has taken it's toll and he is just prematurely worn out. I predict he retires for health reasons within the next couple of years.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoUconn13. Show GoUconn13's posts

Reason these fans wanted to see one of them or both of them to go is to see the team to get younger and healthier.  Period!!! Cant have Youkilis and Papi to be an often injure prone player going on DL often for the next three years!!!   It is possible that Youkilis may not be able to play much defensively in the future. Meaning he may need to bat DH occassionally.  So if that is the case, Boston cant sign Papi or otherwise either Youk or Papi will sit on the bench occassionally while someone else will play 3B.

So that's why people on this board are concern about Youkilis's health and can he stay healthy to play over 140 games at 3B?  Or find another third  baseman, keep Youkilis to bat DH/play 3B/1B occassionally and let go Papi.  Or trade Youkilis and sign Papi.  

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from concord27. Show concord27's posts

Youk is the type of player that will continue to struggle with injuries and with that playing regularly.  He could end up DH if Papi leaves, either way this does not look like the Red Sox will be stronger in the batting order.  Youk is a very old 32.

10. This post has been removed.

11. This post has been removed.

12. This post has been removed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

I know it's tough because he has spent some time on the DL the past two seasons.  While I wouldn't go to Vegas with this bet, I wouldn't count him out of a full season in 2012.  I think sometimes people misunderstand what being injury prone really is,  the year before this he had a "thumb" injury sometimes injury's as such are merely freak accidents.

Now Ideally Youk has one good season left in him.  But If Youk is playing good and healthy next year by June/July and Middlebrooks is tearing it up in AAA do we move to towards the future quicker and sell Youk why his value went up? or do we let him play out his season in Boston?

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from tomnev. Show tomnev's posts

I love Youk....but put another Vote in the "it is time" Column......a successful team and front office needs to forget sentiment and move a guy a year too soon then a year too late. Right now Youk has decent trade value, especially to the Reds....and I would bet to the Cubs with Theo and if the dont resign Ramirez.....another year like the last two....K's and Injuries and you get nothing. Plus if Middlebrooks is the real deal, even if he is not ready in 12, he should be ready in 13, and then Youk would be totally expendable. If we let Papi walk, then we could plug him in at DH, so that gives you even more leverage in trade talks, because teams would know you dont have to trade him.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from JustPlayTheGame. Show JustPlayTheGame's posts

Get rid of him. He can't stay on the field and his skills are declining. As for character, of all the Red Sox that have played for us here in Portland, he was unquestionably the biggest jerk we've ever had. Nobody else has even been close.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rutland76. Show Rutland76's posts

In Response to Re: Why does everyone want to send Youk packing? Is it time to say bye to Papi?:
    I know it's tough because he has spent some time on the DL the past two seasons.  While I wouldn't go to Vegas with this bet, I wouldn't count him out of a full season in 2012.  I think sometimes people misunderstand what being injury prone really is,  the year before this he had a "thumb" injury sometimes injury's as such are merely freak accidents. Now Ideally Youk has one good season left in him.  But If Youk is playing good and healthy next year by June/July and Middlebrooks is tearing it up in AAA do we move to towards the future quicker and sell Youk why his value went up? or do we let him play out his season in Boston?
    Posted by ctredsoxfanhugh

Reasonable. Good post.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from jgallag1. Show jgallag1's posts

Posted by carnie

I want to agree with you concerning the sentimentality standpoint (granted my player would be Wake more than anyone...then Tek), but it seems like we fans are the ones who get hamstrung by that love and loyalty more than anyone else. It makes sense...a player has to look out for himself to a great extent, especially the superstars, and the management needs to do what's best for the team, especially a team that's expected to win year in and year out like the Sox. It's the fans who want to have their cake and eat it too. We want to have Papi stick around til he's done...the problem being, fans, management and players all have differing ideas of when that is.

No fans love their players like we do, but few fans expect the kind of performance out of their players that we do. It's a delicate balance.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from jgallag1. Show jgallag1's posts

As far as Youk is concerned, he's just the most expendable piece that can bring any value at this point. He may be on the decline, but he's still a very solid player, especially when healthy. A package of him, Lowrie, and Reddick...maybe even adding Lackey in there, could bring back something good in an area of need. Unfortunately, sometimes to make moves you have to make moves. 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from never1954. Show never1954's posts

To all of you that say, "because its time"......You are correct. Great run from a gutsy dirt dog but beating yourself up eventually catches up.  Need someone who can play everyday.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

I agree with Hugh, in that, though it is hard to see the last two years as anything but the way it is with Youk now, I think we need to see the next year out.  2010 was not the same as 2011 injury-wise.  the thumb was indeed a freak accident that could happen to anyone, injury-prone or not.  Now, 2011 was tough.  The hip.  the knee.  That was definitely a case of the body just failing.  But, as armchair GM, I need more than 1 season like that before I make a judgement on a player of Youk's quality.  Lost in the chicken and beer is the fact that the offense just was not the same after Youkilis went down.  Sure, Adrian's shoulder may have factored into his lack of power in the 2nd half, or the black magic of the HR Dreby (yeah right).  But, I don't think Adrian saw a decent pitch after Youk went down.  The fact that his avg. remained high was a testament to his ability to hit anything and take what is given him.  But, Youk is a monster.  even when not at the top of his game, his ability to work counts and drive balls is priceless.  I am giving him this next year to get a full picture of his health.  

Now, I might be quicker to shop him if i thought there was good return coming.  But, who in their right mind, would give up someone good for a gamble with a pretty fat contract?  No one.  Unless we threw in some good prospects and then I am really throwing the baby aout with the bath water.

If he goes off next spring, sure, move him while his value is high.  But, now, there is nothing of worth coming back for him.  And, at the end of the day, I want Kevin youkilis on the Red Sox.  Yes, his health is a question mark at this point.  but not a period.  I think many of you are too quick to call him done.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from law2009a. Show law2009a's posts

m

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

I agree with Hugh, in that, though it is hard to see the last two years as anything but the way it is with Youk now, I think we need to see the next year out.  2010 was not the same as 2011 injury-wise.  the thumb was indeed a freak accident that could happen to anyone, injury-prone or not.  Now, 2011 was tough.  The hip.  the knee.  That was definitely a case of the body just failing.  But, as armchair GM, I need more than 1 season like that before I make a judgement on a player of Youk's quality.  Lost in the chicken and beer is the fact that the offense just was not the same after Youkilis went down.  Sure, Adrian's shoulder may have factored into his lack of power in the 2nd half, or the black magic of the HR Dreby (yeah right).  But, I don't think Adrian saw a decent pitch after Youk went down.  The fact that his avg. remained high was a testament to his ability to hit anything and take what is given him.  But, Youk is a monster.  even when not at the top of his game, his ability to work counts and drive balls is priceless.  I am giving him this next year to get a full picture of his health.   Now, I might be quicker to shop him if i thought there was good return coming.  But, who in their right mind, would give up someone good for a gamble with a pretty fat contract?  No one.  Unless we threw in some good prospects and then I am really throwing the baby aout with the bath water. If he goes off next spring, sure, move him while his value is high.  But, now, there is nothing of worth coming back for him.  And, at the end of the day, I want Kevin youkilis on the Red Sox.  Yes, his health is a question mark at this point.  but not a period.  I think many of you are too quick to call him done.
    Posted by SpacemanEephus

I don't think Youk is done and we absolutely need his production but playing 3B may just where the guy down much quicker than expected.  Hopefully he can give us a couple healthy years and we can re-sign Papi, maybe then Youk can get his rest at DH or be traded.

It's a tough call!

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from CablesWyndBairn. Show CablesWyndBairn's posts

I'd rather have a DH that can actually field two positions, and Youk can do that.  Papi can't.  If they can get both back here (Papi on a short term deal), I'd do that preferably, but Youk is a DH in waiting and Papi is a question mark despite having a good year.  Are we getting the Ortiz of 2010 when he was almost released, or the one from 2011?  Signing the guy from 2010 to a long term deal is scary as hell.  If Papi didn't have Francona here to let him keep playing while he was in a funk, he'd likely be playing for someone else already. 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from law2009a. Show law2009a's posts

m

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from crmn19. Show crmn19's posts

In Response to Why does everyone want to send Youk packing? Is it time to say bye to Papi?:
    I've been suprised to see so many people ready to ditch Youk after a tough year.  before 2011 Youk has been the most consistant hitter, and most reliable infielder for the Red Sox.  I guarantee he will work twice as hard this year, hopefully with good health.  He is an identity for this team and needs to be at 3rd base next year.  This team can be force next year.  I'm pretty sure Papi is on his way out of town.  It's gonna be tough to see him in the other dugout.  Rays or Yankees would not suprise me either way.  I would like to see Lavarnway at DH if Papi leaves (this would allow Varitek to stick around to help coach the young catchers) .  It would free up some cash to keep Papalbon, and maybe bring in a replacement for Lackey and/or Beckett.    
    Posted by jmmyslinski

Maybe because he has at least some waning value, as opposed to the usual fantasy trades of three magic beans for Matt Kemp, Andre Eithier and Chad Billinglsey.

Sections
Shortcuts