why does nobody miss adrian gonzalez

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from baddad. Show baddad's posts

why does nobody miss adrian gonzalez

its amazing how nobody seems upset about not having agon amymore.......as advertised he was a 300 hiter,,,good for 100 ribbies and a doubles machine at fenway as predicted,,,as well as a gold glover......everything but the long balls,,,,i say he will be missed,,,,,,when we got him we red sox fans were celebrating,,,,,,,now its kudos to cherington for getting rid of him,,,,i think thats ridiculous....im sure dodgers would have taken some decent prospects instead,,,,,,maybe its just me but ben just seems like a larrys puppet,,,,,,and thats gonna hurt us,,,,,does anybody agree

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxdirtdog. Show redsoxdirtdog's posts

Re: why does nobody miss adrian gonzalez

SCUTARO!!!!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Its only kudos because Gonzo allowed us to get rid of the CC and Beckett deals. I honestly didnt think Gonzo was going to produce enough throughout the length of his contract to make it worth it.

With that said, he was a GG defender with a great avg and obp. I do question the HR totals Theo predicted here, but make no mistake...That production, no matter the salary, will be missed and hard to replace.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxdirtdog. Show redsoxdirtdog's posts

OOOPS!  I forgot!  We have the ultimate SS...... big hitting, slick with the glove Iggy pop!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasko2248. Show jasko2248's posts

In response to redsoxdirtdog's comment:
    [QUOTE]

OOOPS!  I forgot!  We have the ultimate SS...... big hitting, slick with the glove Iggy pop!

[/QUOTE]

Marco Scutaro can no longer be a starting SS because he has permanent dmage to his rotator cuff and I'm pretty sure Adrian Gonzalez doesn't have the range to play SS, so I'm not really sure where you are going with this...

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

losing a-gon sucks. it eases the pain not to talk about him. but if its the price to pay to be rid of CC and 2 other large contracts then so be it. sacrifices had to be made and he was it.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Soxdog67. Show Soxdog67's posts

In response to baddad's comment:
    [QUOTE]

its amazing how nobody seems upset about not having agon amymore.......as advertised he was a 300 hiter,,,good for 100 ribbies and a doubles machine at fenway as predicted,,,as well as a gold glover......everything but the long balls,,,,i say he will be missed,,,,,,when we got him we red sox fans were celebrating,,,,,,,now its kudos to cherington for getting rid of him,,,,i think thats ridiculous....im sure dodgers would have taken some decent prospects instead,,,,,,maybe its just me but ben just seems like a larrys puppet,,,,,,and thats gonna hurt us,,,,,does anybody agree

[/QUOTE]

Maybe nobody is missing the losss of Agon, because it was sacrificing him that allowed the Sox to also dump the salaries of Crawford and Beckett.

Beckett was done here and maybe done period...Crawford has recently come forward saying he was uncom Now to most Sox fans that turned out to be addition by subtraction.

Gonzalez was given the humungous contract because not only did we expect him to hit for average, with a high OBP, but we also expected 30-40 HRs in that package. In addition to that, Agon was looked upon by others to be a leader...a role he never bought into here, so that is included in this reaction by fans as well.

How much Agon truly will be missed will be better answered by who ends up replacing him at 1B in 2013 and beyond.

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxdirtdog. Show redsoxdirtdog's posts

In response to jasko2248's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Marco Scutaro can no longer be a starting SS because he has permanent dmage to his rotator cuff and I'm pretty sure Adrian Gonzalez doesn't have the range to play SS, so I'm not really sure where you are going with this...

[/QUOTE]

I guess you thought I was being serious???

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

apparently...But with all the complaining now that Scoot has got a ring, I can understand the misunderstanding...

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasko2248. Show jasko2248's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

My mistake...thought you were serious after what seemed like a shot at Iglesias and you wanted Scutaro back.  Southpaw is right.  Too many ridiculous posts about Scutaro after the Series.

That said, Gonzalez is a very productive player, but to me, there was always something missing, and I can't put my finger on it.  I never felt like he was going to get the big hit, or felt he was very likable, or that "gamer" fans want to root for.  He is by all accounts a nice enough guy, probably better suited for Southern California, though.  It's strange that a guy with his talent is with his 5th different organization in the last 9 years. 

I'd still make the trade twice on Sunday, and I don't really miss Adrian Gonzalez as a player to root for, but I'm sure the Sox will miss his production. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

My mistake...thought you were serious after what seemed like a shot at Iglesias and you wanted Scutaro back.  Southpaw is right.  Too many ridiculous posts about Scutaro after the Series.

That said, Gonzalez is a very productive player, but to me, there was always something missing, and I can't put my finger on it.  I never felt like he was going to get the big hit, or felt he was very likable, or that "gamer" fans want to root for.  He is by all accounts a nice enough guy, probably better suited for Southern California, though.  It's strange that a guy with his talent is with his 5th different organization in the last 9 years. 

I'd still make the trade twice on Sunday, and I don't really miss Adrian Gonzalez as a player to root for, but I'm sure the Sox will miss his production. 

[/QUOTE]

Scutaro?

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasko2248. Show jasko2248's posts

In response to southpaw777's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Scutaro?

[/QUOTE]

Gonzalez...Marlins, Rangers, Padres, Sox & Dodgers since '03. Actually, that's 10 years. I don't know, to me, something just doesn't add up with this guy. I'm curious to find out the true story behind the cell phone call this summer as well...

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

It was a great trade for the Sox.

He only played for the Sox for 1.5 seasons.

Most of his career has been in the NL.

Most of his career has  been 3,000 miles and 3 time zones away.

He is a quiet guy who kept a low profile.

It's not like Fisk, Burleson and Lynn leaving, is it?

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

It's not just Crawford and Beckett and Punto we dumped off on the Dodgers, we also lost AGon's huge contract. He was worth not much more or less than what he was paid, so if we replace his contract "in knid", in theory, losing him is a wash.

The big plus comes from the money saved on the other 3 guys and some very decent prospects are the icing on the cake.

16. This post has been removed.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sheriff-Rojas. Show Sheriff-Rojas's posts

Geo will start a thread about it if he becomes a postseason hero.  

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnchiladaT. Show EnchiladaT's posts

I miss AGon. I do think it was more than apparent he was not going to be a leader. I expected 30 homers out of him not 40 but ....... for the money I suppose we should want a consistent 35hr/115rib type player or at the very least a player the whole team rallies around.

I guess in the end I wish he were still here but the trade made sense all the way around.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Crawford should have been traded sometime during or shortly after the 2013 season.

I remember how you slammed my CC for Zito proposal as I argued it could be a way for us to dump most of CC's salary and possibly get some benefit from Barry Z.

You called Zito a bum, and said nobody would take CC until after 2013.

Wrong, wrong, and wrong again.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

[QUOTE]

In response to southpaw777's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Scutaro?

[/QUOTE]

Gonzalez...Marlins, Rangers, Padres, Sox & Dodgers since '03. Actually, that's 10 years. I don't know, to me, something just doesn't add up with this guy. I'm curious to find out the true story behind the cell phone call this summer as well...

[/QUOTE]

Oh yeah, forgot about the Marlins...Duh...He really didnt seem like he fit in here and honestly, I dont think he liked the intensity here. Hes more of a west coast guy.

That cell phone story was sketchy at best. Im with you, something just didnt seem right.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to TrotterNixon's comment:
    [QUOTE]

AGon left a big hole that is still a big hole. With his contract, to take on bums with massive contracts like Crawford and Beckett, it just shows how high a value the Dodgers placed on him.

AGon should have been retained, and Beckett should have been traded on his own. Crawford should have been traded sometime during or shortly after the 2013 season. Cherry's incompetent and sold at rock bottom and bought at top dollar.

[/QUOTE]

When you get the once in a lifetime chance to rid yourself of all those contracts at once, AND get four prospects AND a replacement 1b for the remainder of the year back, you do it.

If they were to TRY and rid themselves of each one indiviually 1) they wouldnt have the flexability this offseason to make the needed moves 2) They most likely would have had to pony up a bunch of $$ toward those contracts, thats even IF they could get a taker. 3) If either one or both had performance issues, then NOBODY would have taken them.

Giving up Gonzo was worth starting over again and clearin a quarter of a billion dollars in salary... Personally, I really dont think he fit in well here in Boston anyway.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from tom-uk. Show tom-uk's posts

Like Teixeira, some sluggers peak early.  Have we become accustomed to sluggers ageing too well, due to recent PED use?  

AGon's worrying peripherals:

'07 - '12 

BB%          9.0     10.6     17.5      13.4     10.3    6.1

IBB            9       18         22          35       20       5

HR/FB      14       21        22          16       16       10   

O-swing%: The percentage of pitches a batter swings at outside the strike zone

2007 - '12    28        28         23            32           36           37

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

In response to TrotterNixon's comment:
    [QUOTE]

AGon left a big hole that is still a big hole. With his contract, to take on bums with massive contracts like Crawford and Beckett, it just shows how high a value the Dodgers placed on him.

AGon should have been retained, and Beckett should have been traded on his own. Crawford should have been traded sometime during or shortly after the 2013 season. Cherry's incompetent and sold at rock bottom and bought at top dollar.

[/QUOTE]

Trotter, this post is proof that you're only here to play the contrarian.  How would the Red Sox would have made out in those separate trades of Beckett and Crawford, two 'bums with massive contracts'?  And what about the precipitous drop in AGon's OBP and SLG this year?

Also, you may have missed this news flash, but Cherry's involvement in this transaction was limited.  

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Tropical-Nation. Show Tropical-Nation's posts

Becuse it's God's will?

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

In response to baddad's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

You're not even coming close to attempting to analyze the trade.  By ignoring the Beckett and CC components, what is the point of even talking about Gonzo?

Just start with a simple question, given how he hit this year, what do you think his stats will be in 2018?  Then work back.

Sections
Shortcuts