why does nobody miss adrian gonzalez

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasko2248. Show jasko2248's posts

Re: why does nobody miss adrian gonzalez

In response to baddad's comment:

kudos to those who got my intended  point.....gonzalez will be missed and so will what i project his numbers to be.next year and the year after etc... agons  allegedly bad season was better than the vast majority of hitters  good seasons......it was a whole lot better then torii hunters poor season of a couple of years ago.....much better in fact   and yes the good tori returned and most posters here now want him in boston......i dont think you can assume without some concrete accurate information that the dodgers would have not taken beckett or crawford withot agon......im sure they are counting on the return of a healty crawford and his former healthy numbers.....who can say that a couple of decent prospects instead of agon wouldnt have suited the dodgers......who can say valentine didnt have a lot to do with agons departure.....in fact with beckets lousy attitude in sept of 2010 yet his strong  numbers for the 2010 season ....wasnt the 2010 off season ,,,the time to dump him, his contract and crawfords also yet get something decent back.......it not just a simple case of addition by subtraction.....the subtraction of agons numbers and glove even without the homeruns is still just that...subtraction......i would be very surpised that any addition at first base comes anywhere near that of equaling the subtraction of agons bat and glove

The only reason the Dodgers took Beckett and Crawford WAS because they wanted Agon.  "Prospects" weren't getting it done.  The Dodgers know Agon is a great player who is from Southern California and would prefer to play there.  The Sox were given an opportunity to reshape a team that was a disaster on and off the field, and they had no choice but to jump on it.  Agon puts up good numbers, but there just may be a reason he has played for 5 different teams in 10 years, and not while he was making much money.  "Fantasy leagues" are won by players who have great stats, but all I know is the Sox hit rock bottom while he was on the roster.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

And Moonshwemp, the Tigers wouldn't be trading farm scraps, it's the Red Sox. Put down your booze and work your pea brain.

[/QUOTE]

You wrote this...not me.

Try reading what you wrote and tell me it doesn't mean the Tigers "will trade farm scraps for VMart".

You should have wrote, the Tigers will "take" farm scraps for VMart.

Why bother on Ike Davis (not my idea of a long term Red Sox 1st baseman)  when the Tigers will trade farm scraps for VMart?

I can see why you have a hard time comprehending what you read when your mind works in circles as you write.

[Sidenote: You blasted Theo for not bringing back VMart. You bashed those of us who said he was too old, too fragile to catch FT, and not a good enough hitter to be in the top 10 1Bmen in MLB. Now, you say he is worth "farm scraps". Were you wrong then, or are you wrong now? You can try, but you can't have it both ways.]

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hetchinspete. Show Hetchinspete's posts

its amazing how nobody seems upset about not having agon amymore.......as advertised he was a 300 hiter,,,good for 100 ribbies and a doubles machine at fenway as predicted,,,as well as a gold glover......everything but the long balls,,,,i say he will be missed,,,,,,when we got him we red sox fans were celebrating,,,,,,,now its kudos to cherington for getting rid of him,,,,i think thats ridiculous....im sure dodgers would have taken some decent prospects instead,,,,,,maybe its just me but ben just seems like a larrys puppet,,,,,,and thats gonna hurt us,,,,,does anybody agree

Not sure what online site you read but I've read few Sox fans like myself who are unhappy with seeing Agon go to the Dodgers. It's possible with a new manager that CC could have turned it around. I wasn't ready to give up on CC just yet and Agon's bat will be missed along with his GG at first base. 

Hetch

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hetchinspete. Show Hetchinspete's posts

Agon puts up good numbers, but there just may be a reason he has played for 5 different teams in 10 years, and not while he was making much money.  "Fantasy leagues" are won by players who have great stats, but all I know is the Sox hit rock bottom while he was on the roster.

[/QUOTE]

First it's 4 teams in 9 years and stop casting doubts on Agon. He's a great player who will be missed.

Hetch

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasko2248. Show jasko2248's posts

In response to Hetchinspete's comment:

Agon puts up good numbers, but there just may be a reason he has played for 5 different teams in 10 years, and not while he was making much money.  "Fantasy leagues" are won by players who have great stats, but all I know is the Sox hit rock bottom while he was on the roster.

First it's 4 teams in 9 years and stop casting doubts on Agon. He's a great player who will be missed.

Hetch

The Marlins, Rangers, Padres, Red Sox and Dodgers makes five in most places, but I'll assume you just miscounted by accident.  He might be a great player, but I'm not so sure how "missed" he'll be, especially in the Sox Clubhouse.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from Hetchinspete. Show Hetchinspete's posts

[/QUOTE]

Hetch

[/QUOTE]

The Marlins, Rangers, Padres, Red Sox and Dodgers makes five in most places, but I'll assume you just miscounted by accident.  He might be a great player, but I'm not so sure how "missed" he'll be, especially in the Sox Clubhouse. 

[/QUOTE]

He came up with Texas in 1992 and never played for the Marlins club. He might played for the Marlins in some fantasy league !! He played for Fla while in the minor leagues but not the Marlin's team and then went on to play for a few years in the Texas minor league system but that doesn't count torwards his MLB record. 

The negativity about Agon came from the Boston Media which you seem silly enough to believe, and they base thier idiotic comments on the fact that he didn't show emotion on the field, but the same idiots who complained about players like Youk who was the opposite and showed emotion. The press in Boston are a bunch of vicious sharks and you bought into thier lies. Actual comments from players in the clubhouse if you took the time to read was that Gonzo was a great team player, just a quiet individual who doesn't show emotion, but I'm sure you were in the clubhouse and know more. 

Hetch

• You have chosen to ignore posts from jasko2248. Show jasko2248's posts

Hetch

• He came up with Texas in 1992 and never played for the Marlins. He might played for the Marlins in some fantasy league !!

Hetch

Hetch,

He was 10 years old in 1992, he was drafted by the Marlins in the 1st round in 2000 and he was traded to the Rangers in 2003.  That means he was with the Marlins organization for...well you figure it out.  This isn't information that is difficult to have access to...

Hetch

• He came up with Texas in 1992 and never played for the Marlins club. He might played for the Marlins in some fantasy league !! He played for Fla while in the minor leagues but not the Marlin's team and then went on to play for a few years in the Texas minor league system but that doesn't count torwards his MLB record. 

Hetch

I said 5 different "organizations" in 10 years, but don't let the facts get in the way of good, solid rant.

Would you agree that the Marlins thought highly enough of him that they traded him along with two other prospects to Texas for Ugeth Urbina, who is in jail for trying to kill one of his farm employees with a machete?

• You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to jasko2248's comment:

In response to TrotterNixon's comment:

I would target, in no particular order, Ike Davis, depending on the prospects, and Youkilis, VMart, and Morneau as shorter term solutions.  In VMart and Morneau's cae, depending on how much salary relief they came with.  I'd also see how much Napoli is asking for.

Youkilis as a 1st base solution is absurd, don't you think?

Why bother on Ike Davis (not my idea of a long term Red Sox 1st baseman)  when the Tigers will trade farm scraps for VMart? Why ask for salary relief for VMart's last 2 years, when the Red Sox could easily just take the contract and pay farm scraps and then, because VMart is such a gifted all around hitter who can DH/Catch/1B, easily be traded if a better option comes along for the long term?

Morneau isn't the value that VMart is, don't you think? I doubt the Twins will offer any cash if they trade him, but it would need to be a lot given his contract and profile which would be a lot of dead weight if he later needs to be moved.

I agree, if VMart can't be obtained for farm scraps and taking all of his 2 years of salary, Napoli and a 2 year market base offer is the right move. If there is a 3 year marekt for Napoli then the Red Sox should pass.

On catcher, I think the market is such that the Red Sox best value move is to go with Lavarway as the primary catcher and Salty as the backup. If they acquire VMart or Napoi they will create game management advantages that would help them win more games in 2013.

Salty cannot be the full-time catcher with his butcher fielding. He can be an adequate backup where he is best suited anyway. He lacks the focus and agility to play any MLB position full time, and he can't hit well enough to DH full-time.

Vmart isn't going anywhere.  The Tigers are letting Delmon Young walk because they expect Vmart to DH next year. 

I also laughed at the fact he considers Lavarnway a better defensive catcher...Wow. The kid might be a solid catcher one day, but is pretty much a butcher right now with little agility behind the plate. Between this and completely changing his view on the contracts discussed (without even himself realizing it) If there was any credibility with him, it just left the building...

Hetch

He came up with Texas in 1992 and never played for the Marlins club. He might played for the Marlins in some fantasy league !! He played for Fla while in the minor leagues but not the Marlin's team and then went on to play for a few years in the Texas minor league system but that doesn't count torwards his MLB record. 

The negativity about Agon came from the Boston Media which you seem silly enough to believe, and they base thier idiotic comments on the fact that he didn't show emotion on the field, but the same idiots who complained about players like Youk who was the opposite and showed emotion. The press in Boston are a bunch of vicious sharks and you bought into thier lies. Actual comments from players in the clubhouse if you took the time to read was that Gonzo was a great team player, just a quiet individual who doesn't show emotion, but I'm sure you were in the clubhouse and know more. 

Hetch

Keep editing this post.  You'll eventually get it right.  Adrian Gonzalez is gone and the Sox organization is a lot better off after trading him.  Get over it...

Hetch,

He was 10 years old in 1992, he was drafted by the Marlins in the 1st round in 2000 and he was traded to the Rangers in 2003.  That means he was with the Marlins organization for...well you figure it out.  This isn't information that is difficult to have access to...

[/QUOTE]

Sorry a misprint. He was with the FLA organization in 2000 but that's not the actual Marlin's major league club. I don't count the minor system, I'm looking at his major league record. Plenty of player are traded during thier minor and major league career and your foolish to believe it cast negatives on his ability or personality. Read my last comments edited and added to. But by your standards I would suppose every player who has been traded more than once must have a personality disorder.

Hetch

In response to JimfromFlorida's comment:

True, and on paper, it seems we could easily do better with the money saved than what we lost. I am not for signing these guys, but who here would really have CC, Josh & AGon over Hamilton, Greinke & Napoli?

I would.......... CC will be better than Napoli in the long run....Agon except for HRs is better than Hamilton and more consistent....Josh and Zach are a wash just my opinion.....

There is NO FA out there to replace AGon in any way shape or form. There is also no OF that has the same abilities as CC.

Or has the pricetag for said abilities...

Hetch

Hetch

Keep editing this post.  You'll eventually get it right.  Adrian Gonzalez is gone and the Sox organization is a lot better off after trading him.  Get over it...

Get over it yourself deutschbag. I get it, you're the idiot who knows nothing about MLB except for the pablum the media feeds you and you're dumb enough to believe everything you read without questioning anything. Pizzzz off !!

Hetch

In response to seabeachfred's comment:

In response to moonslav59's comment:

It's not just Crawford and Beckett and Punto we dumped off on the Dodgers, we also lost AGon's huge contract. He was worth not much more or less than what he was paid, so if we replace his contract "in knid", in theory, losing him is a wash.

The big plus comes from the money saved on the other 3 guys and some very decent prospects are the icing on the cake.

Moon---the money saved doesn't mean jack sheeeet unless the team is willing to spend some of it to upgrade the team.  So far everything I've read on the various blogs hint that Henry might just flat out not spend the money and instead keep a bum like Loney at first and DeJesus at utiity IF.   The latter is even worse than baLoney.  As for the prospects, don't get carried away with DeLaRosa.  He was pretty much of a wild head case when he pitched for the Bums in 2010, and the other pitcher is a wild card as well.  So much for your "decent prospects".  Jerry Sands might turn out to be a solid hitter with power IF he is given a real chance to play and perform.

Most everyone knows by now the Dodgers wanted Gonzales and were willing to take Punto, Beckett and Crawford as a package deal but unless Sands comes through big this is not a trade we are going to be celebrating in a year or to, especially if we don't get a better first baseman than baLoney, a better utility IF than DeJesus and some solid pitching from those two we got in a trade----and I have some serious doubts about that

Your believing what the media tells you? Just hold on until this winter when you will know and see how theyve spent their extra money. You can be a billionaire owner of the Red Sox and go on the cheap...The pink hats will not show up and the real baseball fans will not either.

The media also predicts the Sox will go after Melky Cabrera, Liriano and JD Drews little brother...Personally, I think they can and will do better than that.

Hetch

Hetch

Get over it yourself deutschbag. I get it, your the idiot who knows nothing about MLB except for the pablum the media feeds you and you're dumb enough to believe everything you read without questioning anything. Pizzzz off !!

Hetch

I guess I am a bit of a "Deutschbag."  I did live in Germany for 4 months in '92. 
    Relax, Hetch, it's a baseball message board.  If you are going to accuse people of being "wrong" and being in "Fantasyland," be prepared to get your b*lls busted if your facts are a little "off,"

kudos to those who got my intended  point.....gonzalez will be missed and so will what i project his numbers to be.next year and the year after etc... agons  allegedly bad season was better than the vast majority of hitters  good seasons......it was a whole lot better then torii hunters poor season of a couple of years ago.....much better in fact   and yes the good tori returned and most posters here now want him in boston......i dont think you can assume without some concrete accurate information that the dodgers would have not taken beckett or crawford withot agon......im sure they are counting on the return of a healty crawford and his former healthy numbers.....who can say that a couple of decent prospects instead of agon wouldnt have suited the dodgers......who can say valentine didnt have a lot to do with agons departure.....in fact with beckets lousy attitude in sept of 2010 yet his strong  numbers for the 2010 season ....wasnt the 2010 off season ,,,the time to dump him, his contract and crawfords also yet get something decent back.......it not just a simple case of addition by subtraction.....the subtraction of agons numbers and glove even without the homeruns is still just that...subtraction......i would be very surpised that any addition at first base comes anywhere near that of equaling the subtraction of agons bat and glove

There are a few guys who can replace AGons glove. The bat is another story, but we can make up for that throughout the lineup.

Only fools think that it was a good move to give away AGon to get rid of Crawford, after paying a fortune for nearly 2 years, and Beckett. That doesn't mean it wasn't absurd to sign Crawford in the first place.

And Moonshwemp, the Tigers wouldn't be trading farm scraps, it's the Red Sox. Put down your booze and work your pea brain.

Then word your sentence correctly next time...The tigers would probablt take farm scraps for Vmart, not trade them.

In response to southpaw777's comment:

Only fools think that it was a good move to give away AGon to get rid of Crawford, after paying a fortune for nearly 2 years, and Beckett. That doesn't mean it wasn't absurd to sign Crawford in the first place.

Then word your sentence correctly next time...FWIW Im sure he knew what you meant to write, but was having some fun with you. Unfortunately for him, you dont have a sense of humor. At least not a good one...

Stop getting in the way of my rants, Southpaw!

Then word your sentence correctly next time...FWIW Im sure he knew what you meant to write, but was having some fun with you. Unfortunately for him, you dont have a sense of humor. At least not a good one...

Sorry, Didnt realize you and Hetch were in such a battle over AGon when I was going through the posts...carry on :)

Sorry, Didnt realize you and Hetch were in such a battle over AGon when I was going through the posts...carry on :)

Haha...Thanks, man...Hetch is irate.  I hate going negative on Gonzalez, but I'm pretty sure there are still champagne stains on the walls in the Sox Front Offices when Bud Selig said, "Ok."

• You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonTrollSpanker. Show BostonTrollSpanker's posts

"And Moonshwemp, the Tigers wouldn't be trading farm scraps, it's the Red Sox. Put down your booze and work your pea brain."

This kind of name calling crosses all lines of civility for a forum. This is a sad display on your part and you should be ashamed you can't stand on the logic of your own arguments but must demonize those you disagree with. It points to serious holes not only in your character but in the intellectual strength of your arguments. 

Trading AGon, Crawford, and Beckett was brilliant, it gave our franchise a reset we wouldn't have had for years. AGon was not a good fit here, he admitted as much himself. 

By your logic you should hold onto a bad stock and take an even bigger loss rather than cut your losses. 

For someone who has harped repeatedly on value this is crazy. You bashed Crawford almost every day he was here and bashed even harder when he was traded. It was the ultimate display of pretzel logic and perhaps your last thread of credibility on the forum was lost.

To answer the question of the OP, Agon kind of represented the worst of the front office - the "Feed the monster"/sign someone to an albatross of a contract that we have obsessed about for years. Had he been signed to a more reasonable contract it would have made a lot more sense. You saw his lack of impact on the Dodgers playoff run. AGon is a pretty classy guy, despite some whining from time to time, but he's clearly not a Manny Ramirez type when it comes to clutch hitting. I think to some degree baseball is moving on from a lot of big sluggers into a youth and speed movement, this is the impact of tighter drug policies. Not to say there isn't a need for a Pujols out there but they are getting harder and harder to find. 

So AGon came to represent a front office that alternately played the small market card against the Yanks and then responded to fan pressure for high priced free agents. The hope I think amongst the fans is there is a better way to spend and approach talent. The better way would include holding onto those who prove themselves here like Beltre, and avoiding the Renteria-chasing syndrome. 

I don't think anyone has hard feelings to Agon here but it's clear there is a better way forward. The Yanks and their huge contracts with ARod and to some extent Texeira are in the same boat. 

Haha...Thanks, man...Hetch is irate.  I hate going negative on Gonzalez, but I'm pretty sure there are still champagne stains on the walls in the Sox Front Offices when Bud Selig said, "Ok."

No problem :) I agree It was the best move for this team. To rid themselves of bad contracts and guys who didnt seem like a fit here all at once was a dream come true. They get to completely start over again.

Hetch is a good guy. He just gets very emotional and sometimes almost seems to take it personally about players he likes and the Sox in general. Sometimes it gets the best of him, but Bottom line is hes one of the good ones here IMO.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

It should be noted that AGon's numbers with the Dodgers, though only a 36-game sample, replicated his 2012 numbers with the Red Sox.  There was no improvement in his OBP and he continued with the mysterious lack of home run power.  He homered in his first at-bat with the Dodgers (which must have been a thrill for the Dodgers FO) and then failed to go deep in his next 25 games.  He had 2 solo homers in game 27 with LAD, then finished the year with 9 homerless games.  So in his final 35 games with LAD there was one game in which he homered. 

• You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

[/QUOTE]

Then word your sentence correctly next time...The tigers would probablt takefarm scraps for Vmart, not trade them.

His secretary (mom) was probably upstairs cleaning his sippy cup when he wrote that post.

• Sections
    Shortcuts