why does terry leave pitchers in to long.

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Re: why does terry leave pitchers in to long.

Some other posters have complained that Terry yanks starters too soon.

Go figure!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from donrd4. Show donrd4's posts

In Response to why does terry leave pitchers in to long.:
    terry waits until the sox are at least 6 to 8 runs behind. i am not talking about last nites game because they were short on pitchers.if a pitcher gives up 4 runs it is time to go get him. as i always said he is loyal to a fault.and i bet j d plays tonite.
    Posted by soxyjim

Why? Because he can.Thats why. If you have a moment check out who's in first.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from BOSOX1941. Show BOSOX1941's posts

In Response to Re: why does terry leave pitchers in to long.:
    In Response to Re: why does terry leave pitchers in to long. : What specifically should Francona have done to end it?  Grabbed a bat and dug in himself?
    Posted by LloydDobler

No outs, runners on 1st and 2nd, and he says to the next batter.....go gettum!
    bases loaded no outs and he says.....you da man, you can do it !! It's the manager's job to make sure a run is scored in that situation. He STOOD AND SPIT!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from jimdavis. Show jimdavis's posts

In Response to Re: why does terry leave pitchers in to long. : What specifically should Francona have done to end it?  Grabbed a bat and dug in himself?
    Posted by LloydDobler

1941 is pulling the classic move here.  he is ignoring the fact that Dmac walked while he whines because he did not lay down a bunt.  1941 thinks that 2nd and 3rd with one out is a better situation than bases loaded with NO OUTS.  One of the many things he fails to realize is that the bunt would then lead to an intentional walk to load the bases with one out.  Ta da!

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from jimdavis. Show jimdavis's posts

In Response to Re: why does terry leave pitchers in to long. : No outs, runners on 1st and 2nd, and he says to the next batter.....go gettum! bases loaded no outs and he says.....you da man, you can do it !! It's the manager's job to make sure a run is scored in that situation. He STOOD AND SPIT!
    Posted by BOSOX1941

Pure nonsense.  What was Tito supposed to do with Reddick up and the bases loaded?  Hit for the kid that everyone has been loving all this time?  Can can't sound and dumber than this.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from fivekatz. Show fivekatz's posts

In Response to Re: why does terry leave pitchers in to long. : No outs, runners on 1st and 2nd, and he says to the next batter.....go gettum! bases loaded no outs and he says.....you da man, you can do it !! It's the manager's job to make sure a run is scored in that situation. He STOOD AND SPIT!
    Posted by BOSOX1941
    It is the hitters job to make sure runs score, it is the managers job to not destroy the situation by calling for something stupid like a squeeze with the wrong players at third and at the plate.

And sometimes there is something called luck that comes into play. It certainly did in that game when the RS finally scored. After the RS had bunted the runner to second (1 out) Scoot hit a cue ball shot with english for an infield single. Clearly he did not get good wood on that ball. If it was hit even a tiny bit differently the runner is still at 2nd, there are two outs and Pedey never gets up for the 2 out RBI.

Your takes are predictable I'll give you that. Every success is the players, their every failure that of the manager. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from CTJake14. Show CTJake14's posts

i think he leaves them in to confound and raise the ire of message board posters.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alan-inWA. Show Alan-inWA's posts

Why do so many posters here feel the need to question Francona's ability to manage his pitchers (batting lineup, reserves, bullpen, in-game strategy, you name it) when the Sox are the best team in baseball (ignoring the 0-6 start) and have already won 2 WS championships in Francona's 8-year tenure?
    Posted by parhunter1

Why?  Because in the middle of the season we are still neck and neck with the Yankees, and the Phillies are ahead of us expecially in pitching and especially since we don't have a solid rotation.  At this stage, 1 1/2 games ahead of the Yankees does not does not convince me we will be the best team in baseball in October.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

Posted by BOSOX1941

You are aware, I hope, that your complaint also applies to letting AGon hit away with men on first and second.  AGon leads the team and is close to the AL lead in GIDP--grounded into a double play.  Knowing this, would you have him bunt?  Or would you let him kill the rally by getting a GIDP? 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from peanutandme. Show peanutandme's posts

To BOSOX1941, Iagree with your  post 100%.

How many run[s] do the Sox leave on base when a little managing would cure that  problem?

The Sox lead the league every year in leaving men on base. Francona does not take advantage of the opportunities the opponents give him.

In the 16 inning game I believe the Sox left 15 men on base while getting 3 hits. Now that would suggest that we had more than a few men on base via the walk. But at no time did Francona take advantage of the situation, even though he must have realized at some point that the hits were not falling. In the 11th inning the Sox load the bases and Terry cannot manafacture 1 run. But that happens repeatly over and over during the course of the season.

Look I'm not asking Francona to be a genious and always make the correct call[it would never happen with any manager], but at least try at times when the situation calls for such a move.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

Posted by BOSOX1941

Again ... what, specifically, do you feel he should have done? Don't duck it, please, tell us!

And no, it's not the manager's job to get those runs in. It's the hitters. That Reddick and Varitek couldn't produce a fly ball long enough to get the runner from third to tag is their fault, not Tito's.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from fivekatz. Show fivekatz's posts

In Response to Re: why does terry leave pitchers in to long. : Again ... what, specifically, do you feel he should have done? Don't duck it, please, tell us! And no, it's not the manager's job to get those runs in. It's the hitters. That Reddick and Varitek couldn't produce a fly ball long enough to get the runner from third to tag is their fault, not Tito's.
    Posted by LloydDobler
    Or a good job by the opponent, something that fans never seem to credit is the opponent's perfromance, only their team's failure.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

In Response to Re: why does terry leave pitchers in to long. : Or a good job by the opponent, something that fans never seem to credit is the opponent's perfromance, only their team's failure.
    Posted by fivekatz

Good point.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from DirtyWaterLover. Show DirtyWaterLover's posts

Kind of amazing if you thing about it - one guy stands up at the right time, causing the air to swirl, making Wake's knuckler move a fraction of an inch more, and the batter hits a home run instead of popping it up.

If Salty hangs on to the first K of the inning, Wake is out of the inning with only 1 run scored.

What a game.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from joeyama99. Show joeyama99's posts

terry waits until the sox are at least 6 to 8 runs behind. i am not talking about last nites game because they were short on pitchers.if a pitcher gives up 4 runs it is time to go get him. as i always said he is loyal to a fault.and i bet j d plays tonite.
    Posted by soxyjim

Simple.  It's a long season, and you don't want to blow out your bullpen by having a quick hook.  And, as some other posters pointed out, he lets his starters try to get out of early trouble, settle down, and maybe get a win.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

Posted by soxyjim

Terry seems to have this "seven run rule" and has always been much too loyal to certain pitchers.  Sometimes it can't be helped but in most cases it's quite obvious our starter just doesn't have it.  Nobody wants to use the pen early but you don't let things out of control, it puts too much pressure on the offense to bail us out. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from jimdavis. Show jimdavis's posts

In Response to Re: why does terry leave pitchers in to long. : Why?  Because in the middle of the season we are still neck and neck with the Yankees, and the Phillies are ahead of us expecially in pitching and especially since we don't have a solid rotation.  At this stage, 1 1/2 games ahead of the Yankees does not does not convince me we will be the best team in baseball in October.
    Posted by Alan-inWA

Then you are as off your rocker as much as 1941 is.  If you don't believe the Sox will be the best team, I suggest you take up another hobby.  Baseball ain't easy.  Its not for those looking for the quick fix.  You have watched the team crawl out from a deep hole and right the ship...yet you still don't believe.  I guess if they play .750 ball the rest of the way, you might think they can compete.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from fivekatz. Show fivekatz's posts

In Response to Re: why does terry leave pitchers in to long. : Why?  Because in the middle of the season we are still neck and neck with the Yankees, and the Phillies are ahead of us expecially in pitching and especially since we don't have a solid rotation.  At this stage, 1 1/2 games ahead of the Yankees does not does not convince me we will be the best team in baseball in October.
    Posted by Alan-inWA
    Well you are right that Philly has a better rotation. Quick hooking your starters every night in July isn't going to change that come October. In fact it will only exasperate the problem because the bullpen will be shot come playoff time.

The regular season is a marathon, where your goal is to win enough games to get into the playoffs. You hope to do that in a way that will you find your guys rested enough and paying well enough to go deep. If last night were Game 2 of an ALDS, I think you would have found a quicker hook.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from BOSOX1941. Show BOSOX1941's posts

In Response to Re: why does terry leave pitchers in to long. : You are aware, I hope, that your complaint also applies to letting AGon hit away with men on first and second.  AGon leads the team and is close to the AL lead in GIDP--grounded into a double play.  Knowing this, would you have him bunt?  Or would you let him kill the rally by getting a GIDP? 
    Posted by maxbialystock

In a 0-0 game in extra innings, with men on 1st and 2nd, I'd have Ted Williams bunt. I'm not looking for a big inning, I want that lead run, knowing they will only have one chance to tie it. I really don't care who's up, it's the win that counts.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from BOSOX1941. Show BOSOX1941's posts

In Response to Re: why does terry leave pitchers in to long. : Again ... what, specifically, do you feel he should have done? Don't duck it, please, tell us! And no, it's not the manager's job to get those runs in. It's the hitters. That Reddick and Varitek couldn't produce a fly ball long enough to get the runner from third to tag is their fault, not Tito's.
    Posted by LloydDobler

You're kidding, right? Are you insinuating that a player should be able to hit a long fly ball at will, and it's their fault if they can't?? Are they also able to determine just how long it needs to be?? And I guess they don't just hit HRs every time because that would take the fun out of the game.
    Okay, you got me to react to that one. I certainly appreciate it when a poster is joking, but makes it seem like he's serious so that someone will take the bait. You got me to bite, good one.   Be truthful, did you ever google J. Fred Muggs?

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from jimdavis. Show jimdavis's posts

In Response to Re: why does terry leave pitchers in to long. : In a 0-0 game in extra innings, with men on 1st and 2nd, I'd have Ted Williams bunt. I'm not looking for a big inning, I want that lead run, knowing they will only have one chance to tie it. I really don't care who's up, it's the win that counts.
    Posted by BOSOX1941

Toolbox, the Sox had bases loaded with no one out.  If you would have Ted Williams bunt, giving up an out and his at bat only to have the next batter intentionally walked to then load the bases, you are an idiot.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

In Response to Re: why does terry leave pitchers in to long. : Toolbox, the Sox had bases loaded with no one out.  If you would have Ted Williams bunt, giving up an out and his at bat only to have the next batter intentionally walked to then load the bases, you are an idiot.
    Posted by jimdavis

No kidding. 1941 is getting more pathetic with each post. I think he said he's been a fan since 1941. Wow. Following baseball for 70 years only to be one of the leaders in stupid, idiotic posts. He must be proud.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

To BOSOX1941, Iagree with your  post 100%. How many run[s] do the Sox leave on base when a little managing would cure that  problem? The Sox lead the league every year in leaving men on base. Francona does not take advantage of the opportunities the opponents give him. In the 16 inning game I believe the Sox left 15 men on base while getting 3 hits. Now that would suggest that we had more than a few men on base via the walk. But at no time did Francona take advantage of the situation, even though he must have realized at some point that the hits were not falling. In the 11th inning the Sox load the bases and Terry cannot manafacture 1 run. But that happens repeatly over and over during the course of the season. Look I'm not asking Francona to be a genious and always make the correct call[it would never happen with any manager], but at least try at times when the situation calls for such a move.
    Posted by peanutandme

You make a good point here and I see all the Coma lapdoga have not addressed your basic point....15 men on base 3 hits....why wouldnt you manufacture a run in this game, especially when Tampa was having so much trouble scoring...one would be/was enough.

If Belichick kept running the ball up the middle all game long and it never worked, and then the game went into overtime, and continued to run plays up the gut, would this make sense? Wouldnt you think it is a coach's job to make adjustments during the game? This is our managers weakest quality...so weak in fact that even his supporters can only defend him by saying "he is saving the bullpen" or "he believes in his players"....I'm pretty sure he is the coach, not their Mommy or therapist.  I did like his bullpen management in the 16 in game and said so...but I have no clue what his bootlickers are doing after this last game defending his uselessness with Wakefield...he blew it and the offense bailed him out...just tell the truth you rabid fanatics

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from jimdavis. Show jimdavis's posts

In Response to Re: why does terry leave pitchers in to long. : You make a good point here and I see all the Coma lapdoga have not addressed your basic point....15 men on base 3 hits....why wouldnt you manufacture a run in this game, especially when Tampa was having so much trouble scoring...one would be/was enough. If Belichick kept running the ball up the middle all game long and it never worked, and then the game went into overtime, and continued to run plays up the gut, would this make sense? Wouldnt you think it is a coach's job to make adjustments during the game? This is our managers weakest quality...so weak in fact that even his supporters can only defend him by saying "he is saving the bullpen" or "he believes in his players"....I'm pretty sure he is the coach, not their Mommy or therapist.  I did like his bullpen management in the 16 in game and said so...but I have no clue what his bootlickers are doing after this last game defending his uselessness with Wakefield...he blew it and the offense bailed him out...just tell the truth you rabid fanatics
    Posted by georom4

Absolute nonsense, as usual.  Its not a defense to say he believes in his players, although that has worked in the past.  People less arrogant than you realize that Tito, and the organization knows more than we do about each player, their strengths and weaknesses.  That said, Tito had his reasons for not putting on the bunt when you would like.  Since he doesn't immediately get fired, I assume the organization is cool with it.

Sections
Shortcuts