Why don't the Yankees just DFA Posada and be done with him?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from attic-dan. Show attic-dan's posts

Why don't the Yankees just DFA Posada and be done with him?

The hated Yankees of my youth wouldn't put up with this nonsense from Posada, who is having 'issues' with being left out of line-up. They made moves for the good of the team, moving HOF down in line-up or to a different position,for the good of the team, all this touchy feely stuff is why they are going home early once again come play-off time.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from fenwayjack2. Show fenwayjack2's posts

Re: Why don't the Yankees just DFA Posada and be done with him?

In Response to Why don't the Yankees just DFA Posada and be done with him?:
    [QUOTE]    The hated Yankees of my youth wouldn't put up with this nonsense from Posada, who is having 'issues' with being left out of line-up. They made moves for the good of the team, moving HOF down in line-up or to a different position,for the good of the team, all this touchy feely stuff is why they are going home early once again come play-off time.
    Posted by attic-dan[/QUOTE]

Can't.  It's in his contract.  He sits in that Yankee dugout until his time is up.   Same with Jeter which is why they never had a shot at Jose Reyes.  Can't even be sent down to the minors. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from PawsoxPhil. Show PawsoxPhil's posts

I haven't read Posada's contract vs. that of Igawa. Do you have a link?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from pri360. Show pri360's posts

[QUOTE]    The hated Yankees of my youth wouldn't put up with this nonsense from Posada, who is having 'issues' with being left out of line-up. They made moves for the good of the team, moving HOF down in line-up or to a different position,for the good of the team, all this touchy feely stuff is why they are going home early once again come play-off time.

what is this "early once again come playoff time"? Are you talking about the yankees? I'm not even going to go over their last 15 years. Just take the last 2
    and tell me who has gone deeper - including the phillies???

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from fivekatz. Show fivekatz's posts

In Response to Re: Why don't the Yankees just DFA Posada and be done with him?:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Why don't the Yankees just DFA Posada and be done with him? : Can't.  It's in his contract.  He sits in that Yankee dugout until his time is up.   Same with Jeter which is why they never had a shot at Jose Reyes.  Can't even be sent down to the minors. 
    Posted by fenwayjack2[/QUOTE] DFA means designate for assignment. In the case of a guy like Posada, it means putting him on the waiver wire. The team has a number of days to work a trade. Any trade in the case of a guy like Posada would require his approval regardless of contract because he is a 10-5 player. Assuming no trade is made the player can either accept assignment to the minors or his unconditional release. If he is released the team is on the hook for the player's salary. If another team signs the player as a FA, the team that released that player is still on the hook for the difference between what the new team is paying and the players contract. So guys DFAed when they are signed by new teams are always paid the MLB minimum by the new team.

Nobody has protection in their contract from DFA.

That said the NYY are not going to designate Jorge Posada for assignment less than 30 days before the rosters expand. It isn't the NYY way and never has been IMO.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from fenwayjack2. Show fenwayjack2's posts

[QUOTE]I haven't read Posada's contract vs. that of Igawa. Do you have a link?
    Posted by PawsoxPhil[/QUOTE]

The Yanks can't even send him down to the minors.  Have you forgotten the brohaha with Giambi over the same thing when he slumping horribly.  These Yanks are here til the bitter end no matter how lost they are at the plate.  Just wait a few more years when a 42 year old Arod digs in the box.  Lol.  That is going to be a real hoot. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxPatsCelts1988. Show SoxPatsCelts1988's posts

You'd have to assume that this is Posada's last season.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

[QUOTE]You'd have to assume that this is Posada's last season.
    Posted by SoxPatsCelts1988[/QUOTE]

I would say that's a good guess.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Then the Sox could pick up another "Good Ole Boy" to be our next "Mike Lowell" and generate hundreds of softy posts.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

Doubtful; RS already have a C with beaten up hands.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from fivekatz. Show fivekatz's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Why don't the Yankees just DFA Posada and be done with him? : The Yanks can't even send him down to the minors.  Have you forgotten the brohaha with Giambi over the same thing when he slumping horribly.  These Yanks are here til the bitter end no matter how lost they are at the plate.  Just wait a few more years when a 42 year old Arod digs in the box.  Lol.  That is going to be a real hoot. 
    Posted by fenwayjack2[/QUOTE]Again, the OP's intent was DFA. DFA would be basically releasing him. The NYY were not willing to eat the $60M left on Giambi's deal. In Posada's case he is a legacy player and they aren't going to release him so close to the end of his career.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from kimsaysthis. Show kimsaysthis's posts

Shouldn't this be on a Yankee board?

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from softylaw. Show softylaw's posts

Same reason Sox don't DFA 5.0 Wakefield and paralyzed Varitek.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from attic-dan. Show attic-dan's posts

[QUOTE]Shouldn't this be on a Yankee board?
    Posted by kimsaysthis[/QUOTE]

I just wanted to tweak the Yankee blowhards who inhabit these threads.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Im not a big fan of jorge, but hes a lifelong yankee whos in the last year of his contract. hes going nowhere. He will retire a yankee.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Celtics1986. Show Celtics1986's posts

Posada is a legacy just like Kent Dorfman was!

17. This post has been removed.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from AL34. Show AL34's posts

They wont do that because of that stupid Yankee tradition. He will get a free ride this year even though his career is basically over.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

Posada "like Drew" is a short timer at this point.  My guess is the Yankees will throw a fortune at Fielder or Pujols in the off season and beg them to be there DH.  I don't see Albert biting but maybe Fielder.

20. This post has been removed.

Sections
Shortcuts