Why fix anything?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxKimmi. Show RedSoxKimmi's posts

Re: Why fix anything?

In response to moonslav59's comment:

I don't think Ben will do anything drastic this deadline, but A COUPLE of tweeks here and there may be called for and done.

I can live with that.  A couple of tweeks that won't cost the team much but could prove very helpful down the stretch.

What I don't want to see is some kind of blockbuster for the likes of Lee or Papelbon that will cost us a fortune and will likely end up being more detrimental to the team than good.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to RedSoxKimmi's comment:

[QUOTE]

I don't think Ben will do anything drastic this deadline, but A COUPLE of tweeks here and there may be called for and done.

I can live with that.  A couple of tweeks that won't cost the team much but could prove very helpful down the stretch.

What I don't want to see is some kind of blockbuster for the likes of Lee or Papelbon that will cost us a fortune and will likely end up being more detrimental to the team than good.

[/QUOTE]

I'm not for getting Lee or Papelbon either (at what they will cost), but I'm not against a blockbuster per se. If the guy we get is under team control for beyond 2014, I'll listen. I just don't want to pay a lot for a 2 month rental.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxKimmi. Show RedSoxKimmi's posts

I'm not for getting Lee or Papelbon either (at what they will cost), but I'm not against a blockbuster per se. If the guy we get is under team control for beyond 2014, I'll listen. I just don't want to pay a lot for a 2 month rental.

Fair enough.  As always, it will come down to how much any player costs.  I think the team is in pretty good shape, so I don't want the team to overpay for any player, be it a 2 month rental or a longer term player.  If a player that can help the team is available for a reasonable cost, even if it is a 2 month rental, then by all means Ben should do it.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from 67redsox. Show 67redsox's posts

In response to southpaw777's comment:

Bullpen help. Thats all I see right now.

Lester is righting the ship, Lackey is pitching like a stud, Buch is progressing nicely and demp and Doubie are great in the 4-5 slots. No need to make a move there.

Agreed.  The guys are playing as a team unlike the last couple of years.  I think the sox have the right pieces barring any injuries.  I would like to see a better bullpen, giving up winning home runs in the final innings hurts.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from trouts. Show trouts's posts

In response to Hetchinspete's comment:

In response to trouts' comment:

In response to tcal2-'s comment:

There is nothing that needs fixing but there is always room for improvement.

I think we need a bat to protect Ortiz and Nava isn't the guy----2 intentional walks to Ortiz tonight. How about picking up Konerko or Dunn from the Chisox who aren't going anywhere this year?

The one thing the Red Sox don't need is the vstrikout king Adam Dunn as protection for Papi and Konerko despite being a very good player prior to this year at 37 is on the down side of his career most likely and wouldn't provide said protection for Papi either. 

Did you miss the part where Dunn has 23 home runs this season? And Konerko, who is currently on the DL, has always been a terrific player. If we don't want to see Ortiz getting a bunch of intentional passes we may have to think about this.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

I think we need a bat to protect Ortiz and Nava isn't the guy----2 intentional walks to Ortiz tonight. How about picking up Konerko or Dunn from the Chisox who aren't going anywhere this year?

The one thing the Red Sox don't need is the vstrikout king Adam Dunn as protection for Papi and Konerko despite being a very good player prior to this year at 37 is on the down side of his career most likely and wouldn't provide said protection for Papi either. 

Did you miss the part where Dunn has 23 home runs this season? And Konerko, who is currently on the DL, has always been a terrific player. If we don't want to see Ortiz getting a bunch of intentional passes we may have to think about this.

Sox lead MLB in runs scored and have easily the best record in the AL without protection for Ortiz but with a lot of guys contributing.  Better hitting than the Tigers with Cabrera and Fielder.  Sox are hitting better than when they had Agon, Crawford, Pedroia, Ortiz, Ellsbury at his best, etc.

You want to fix something that is working well with good bats still in Pawtucket, Middlebrooks and Bogaerts.

On top of which, Dunn is a loser, pure and simple.  Clubs get better when they get rid of him.  His current batting average is .205 and, oh yes, he is another lefty bat when the Sox could maybe use another good righty bat.  He can DH, but Ortiz is so much better.  And he can play 1B, but Napoli is doing fine and has a righty bat and is way better for team chemistry.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

1B/DH is not our weakness, especially since Carp and Nava can play 1B.

Our weakest links right now are:

1) Closer (or top set-up man and leave Uehara at closer)

2) 3B (Must kill LHPs)

3) SP (planning for a future issue)

None of these "weakest links" seem urgent to upgrade right now, but some preventive maintenance may be all that is needed. A couple minor tweeks here and there.

notin suggested Jesse Crain for the pen.

Maybe find a platoon 3Bman who kills lefties, and we can use this platoon for the left side of our IF:

SS: Drew vs RHPs/Iggy vs LHPs

3B: Iggy vs RHPs/ ??? vs LHPs

Neither should be overly costly.

Get the SP this winter.

Sox4ever

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from trouts. Show trouts's posts

In response to maxbialystock's comment:

Sox lead MLB in runs scored and have easily the best record in the AL without protection for Ortiz but with a lot of guys contributing.  Better hitting than the Tigers with Cabrera and Fielder.  Sox are hitting better than when they had Agon, Crawford, Pedroia, Ortiz, Ellsbury at his best, etc.

You want to fix something that is working well with good bats still in Pawtucket, Middlebrooks and Bogaerts.

On top of which, Dunn is a loser, pure and simple.  Clubs get better when they get rid of him.  His current batting average is .205 and, oh yes, he is another lefty bat when the Sox could maybe use another good righty bat.  He can DH, but Ortiz is so much better.  And he can play 1B, but Napoli is doing fine and has a righty bat and is way better for team chemistry.

While I would prefer to have Konerko, Dunn still hit over 40 HRs last year and drove in 96 runs. This year, even with the wretched BA he is still on a pace to do the same. To say that Napoli is doing fine at 1st base isn't the way I see his play there. I would much prefer to see Carp defending than Napoli.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Javi60. Show Javi60's posts

If one is satisfied with just a pass to post season, to stay put might be beneficial for near future insofar as not losing farm talent...but if you want a much needed WS entry, what we have in July is not  enough by far... A solid reliable hitter behind Papi; an established third baseman and likewise a true closer are a priority, not to mention a top quality starter... a six months season is quite different from a three months tournament... Sox can get what it might need with some money and as few  prospects as possible...by all means, no Bogaert or Bradley or Webster to be given... But are  not Middlebrooks and a couple of youngsters  worth a WS ring?...

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from crazyworldoftroybrown. Show crazyworldoftroybrown's posts

Like this thread a lot. Watch what the good GM's do, they wont make a major push, they might tweak, but they are already set on their teams. Mozeliak, Huntington, Beane. They never lose their heads. Only injuries might change their minds. In the case of Mozeliak, he dont care, he never gives away his best prospects. (Wainwright one year hurt, Carpenter this year).
    The crazy GM's do something radical, hey sometimes it works, like Epstein when he moved  Nomar. That was when Theo was in sync. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from ampoule. Show ampoule's posts

Max, were you aware that 'Bialystok' translated means 'white slope', is a city in northeastern Poland, and is the birthplace of Albert Sabin, who is best known for the devlopment of oral polio vaccine?

My grandparents on my mother's side were from Bialystok.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to ampoule's comment:

Max, were you aware that 'Bialystok' translated means 'white slope', is a city in northeastern Poland, and is the birthplace of Albert Sabin, who is best known for the devlopment of oral polio vaccine?

My father's father was from Poland.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from crazyworldoftroybrown. Show crazyworldoftroybrown's posts

Piwo time, Okocim on me!!! Good time to listen to Chopin. 100% Polish here. I think we lost in Wimbledon today, darn rooting for my kolega.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from ampoule. Show ampoule's posts

In response to crazyworldoftroybrown's comment:

Piwo time, Okocim on me!!! Good time to listen to Chopin. 100% Polish here. I think we lost in Wimbledon today, darn rooting for my kolega.

I'm dying for a good home-made Kiszka.  Na Zdrowie.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from ampoule. Show ampoule's posts

[QUOTE]

My father's father was from Poland.

[/QUOTE]

I knew there was something about you I liked....    Smile

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

In response to maxbialystock's comment:
    [QUOTE]

While I would prefer to have Konerko, Dunn still hit over 40 HRs last year and drove in 96 runs. This year, even with the wretched BA he is still on a pace to do the same. To say that Napoli is doing fine at 1st base isn't the way I see his play there. I would much prefer to see Carp defending than Napoli.

[/QUOTE]

Konerko is also having a very, very unlucky season.  His xBABIP vs his BABIP indicates he should be hitting about 50 points higher than he is.   He is among the league leaders in LD%, but much cloer to the bottom for BABIP.   That is a really, really bad combo that strongly points to a player with SLD  (Serious Luck Deficiency).  The only player unluckier than him this year would be Brett Lawrie, who has received a good, swift kick in the hot corner from the BABIP Gods. 

However, Konerko has been deemed "untouchable" by Rick Hahn.  Apparently the fear is that if they deal Konerko, attendance will plummet.  Of course, history has also shown that losing lots and lots of games also keeps The Cell empty.  And unlike Konerko, losing is not a free agent that is prepared to move on next season....

17. This post has been removed.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

They sell that stuff in Brighton Beach in NY. I felt like I was right back in my grandma's kitchen when I was there. Great stuff! More Russian than Polish, I think.

19. This post has been removed.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

In response to cedarwood's comment:

In response to pumpsie-green's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

They sell that stuff in Brighton Beach in NY. I felt like I was right back in my grandma's kitchen when I was there. Great stuff! More Russian than Polish, I think.

[/QUOTE]

Unbelievable. Last night I listed all of the reasons why I like Joe Breidy as one of the best posters on the forum and the thread was deleted and I was banned in a matter of minutes. Who is in charge here when it comes to deleting threads and banning posters?  Address your questions to Hanafin@boston.com. My guess is that someone has stolen the email address and password of Teresa Hanafin and is bnning posters for no reason.

What in the world was evil or wrong with me praising Joe Breidy as a poster. I also like Notin and  Kimmi as posters. Does that also deserve a banning?  What do you think about this J-Bay?

Hanifin@Boston.com. Put a stop to the indiscriminate banning of posters that speak the truth and annoy J-Bay. The forum needs more Sox fans.

If this thread gets deleted within minutes then you can blame it on J-Bay or Teresa. Shame on you J-Bay for your actions.

[/QUOTE]

Reported

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from ampoule. Show ampoule's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE] 

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Lucky you....

There's a Russian Deli in SF that sells it.  When I travel down there, I'll call the deli ahead of time and get about half-a-dozen..

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from S5. Show S5's posts

In response to cedarwood's comment:

Unbelievable. Last night I listed all of the reasons why I like Joe Breidy as one of the best posters on the forum and the thread was deleted and I was banned in a matter of minutes. Who is in charge here when it comes to deleting threads and banning posters?  Address your questions to Hanafin@boston.com. My guess is that someone has stolen the email address and password of Teresa Hanafin and is bnning posters for no reason.

What in the world was evil or wrong with me praising Joe Breidy as a poster. I also like Notin and  Kimmi as posters. Does that also deserve a banning?  What do you think about this J-Bay?

Hanifin@Boston.com. Put a stop to the indiscriminate banning of posters that speak the truth and annoy J-Bay. The forum needs more Sox fans.

If this thread gets deleted within minutes then you can blame it on J-Bay or Teresa. Shame on you J-Bay for your actions.

Did you copy and past this into EVERY THREAD?  I've been away for a couple of days and I see this identical post in every thread.  Do you think this strategy is going to be productive?  Because I can assure you that it isn't.  

Ok, we understand you're unhappy.  Now move on.

And while you're it you might try getting a life

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

...and, he wonders why he keeps getting banned.

Sox4ever

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

. But are  not Middlebrooks and a couple of youngsters  worth a WS ring?...

Sure, if it guaranteed a ring.  But most times, it doesn't, and then teams wind up overpaying because they just gave up a guy they wind up needing.  LAA gave up Corbin and Skaggs to get Haren.  When that didn't work out, they gave up Segura to get Greinke, because they needed an SP (at least thought they needed an SP), because they had previously given up SP prospects.

Two+ years later, with no additional playoff appearances, they gave up Corbin, Skaggs, and Segura, three of the best prospects/young players in BB.

Just imagine if their team was based on Trout, Segura, Corbin, Skaggs, Trumbo and Bourjos.  You're almost guaranteed a pretty good team for 5 years no matter how badly they butcher the FA signings.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

The beauty of NYC is that it always resembled a stew rather than a melting pot.  There are still a lot of landing places where foreigners can feel at home, and bring with them their old culture. If you want authentic cuisine from the Old World, no matter where that was, you can find it NYC.

Sections
Shortcuts