Why Francona is successful and why the Coma Basher's are not

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from william93063. Show william93063's posts

Why Francona is successful and why the Coma Basher's are not

I don’t think we can win without Bard being Bard,’’ Francona said before the start of this series. “Certain players . . . we better figure it out, as opposed to running from guys.’’

This is exactly right!  Tito understands the big picture better than anyone around here.  This team has a great shot at playing deep into October.  Every team entering the postseason tournament is beat up.  We have as good a chance as anyone!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Re: Why Francona is successful and why the Coma Basher's are not

If Bard had been ineffective again Francona would be taking a beating.  That was a gutsy call.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from peanutandme. Show peanutandme's posts

No, it's because Francona may have finally figured it out, he has no other options other than Aceves, so Bard has to be the man. Take off your rosey colored glasses and watch and see for yourself. The success the Sox have had is in spite of Terry, not because of him.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from peanutandme. Show peanutandme's posts

Which is it William93063, you just started another post which said that basically Terry only has Aceves, Bard and Papelbon, now you say on this post Francona is so smart to go with Bard, so which is it Francona is super smart, or has no other good options?

Look I agree Bard has to be Bard for the Sox to win, but really Terry has no other options with that bullpen other than to go with Bard. Bard is to good to keep imploding each time out.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

In Response to Re: Why Francona is successful and why the Coma Basher's are not:
    [QUOTE]No, it's because Francona may have finally figured it out, he has no other options other than Aceves, so Bard has to be the man. Take off your rosey colored glasses and watch and see for yourself. The success the Sox have had is in spite of Terry, not because of him.
    Posted by peanutandme[/QUOTE]

What do you mean, finally figured it out?  He's never stopped relying on Bard all year.  All you're really saying is that he's got a thin bullpen to work with. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

I agree and would do the same thing - you have to keep sending Bard out there in late innings.  Slump or no slump.  You  have never heard me complain about Francona going to Bard.  It's the right move; not a gutsy call.  Besides, who else is he gonna send out there?  Wheeler?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

In Response to Re: Why Francona is successful and why the Coma Basher's are not:
    [QUOTE]I agree and would do the same thing - you have to keep sending Bard out there in late innings.  Slump or no slump.  You  have never heard me complain about Francona going to Bard.  It's the right move; not a gutsy call.  Besides, who else is he gonna send out there?  Wheeler?
    Posted by andrewmitch[/QUOTE]

Not Wheeler, but he probably could have gotten 9 outs combined from Aceves and Papelbon if he wanted to go that way.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from william93063. Show william93063's posts

[QUOTE]Which is it William93063, you just started another post which said that basically Terry only has Aceves, Bard and Papelbon, now you say on this post Francona is so smart to go with Bard, so which is it Francona is super smart, or has no other good options? Look I agree Bard has to be Bard for the Sox to win, but really Terry has no other options with that bullpen other than to go with Bard. Bard is to good to keep imploding each time out.

It simply illustrates that Francona has faith in these guys despite what the fairweather fandom thinks. His management of personalities is one of the things that makes him a great manager.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

I agree, it was the only call. Though there were those on this board saying ignorant stuff like, "Bard should only pitch when we're six, seven runs ahead!"

Tito was right, they can't win without Bard being Bard.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

[QUOTE]No, it's because Francona may have finally figured it out, he has no other options other than Aceves, so Bard has to be the man. Take off your rosey colored glasses and watch and see for yourself. The success the Sox have had is in spite of Terry, not because of him.
    Sure has been a lot of success.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from peanutandme. Show peanutandme's posts

William96063 you use the term Great in describing Francona, Come on now, Great is usualy Reserved for people who are truly Great.

Ted Williams was Great

Bbe Ruth was Great

Ty Cobb was Great

Lou Gehrig was Great ETC

You  get what I'm saying, so don't equate Terry with the word Great.

He was and still is a person who was in the right spot at the right time, and is blessed to be managing a very good franchise who have provide him with very good player's and every opportunity to succeed.

Terry is a good baseball person who is likeable, but as for every day game time decisions, he is that very good. Talent will overcome a mulitutide of questional decisions, which Terry has many of.

It's fine to support your teams manager and their player's, but sometimes you have to come to grips with the fact that he is  not a GREAT manager.

If he were that brilliant maqnager, would the Phillies have dumped him afzter 3 years? The answer is NO, but they saw his limited managerial skills and decided he was not the man  for the job.

Also  if Grady Little had not made a huge mstake and had taken Pedro outz of the playoff game when he should have, the it's entirely possible that Little would still have been the Sox manager in 04, so would that have made Grady the Greatest Sox manager ever?

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

[QUOTE]William96063 you use the term Great in describing Francona, Come on now, Great is usualy Reserved for people who are truly Great. Ted Williams was Great Bbe Ruth was Great Ty Cobb was Great Lou Gehrig was Great ETC You  get what I'm saying, so don't equate Terry with the word Great. He was and still is a person who was in the right spot at the right time, and is blessed to be managing a very good franchise who have provide him with very good player's and every opportunity to succeed. Terry is a good baseball person who is likeable, but as for every day game time decisions, he is that very good. Talent will overcome a mulitutide of questional decisions, which Terry has many of. It's fine to support your teams manager and their player's, but sometimes you have to come to grips with the fact that he is  not a GREAT manager. If he were that brilliant maqnager, would the Phillies have dumped him afzter 3 years? The answer is NO, but they saw his limited managerial skills and decided he was not the man  for the job. Also  if Grady Little had not made a huge mstake and had taken Pedro outz of the playoff game when he should have, the it's entirely possible that Little would still have been the Sox manager in 04, so would that have made Grady the Greatest Sox manager ever?

And if Abe and Mary hadn't gone to a play that night ...

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from BeaconHill19. Show BeaconHill19's posts

It is simply amazing the things that people argue about in here. Color this thread as "Much ado about nothing". I swear that if one of you says that it is a nice day outside today that one of you will take note of a few clouds on the horizon. You need to read my recent thread about EGOS in the forum.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from JimfromFlorida. Show JimfromFlorida's posts

Time and again Terry has shown patience with plays and we all have been awarded a very good team.
    Pedroia many wanted him gone his first two months
    Ells many wanted him traded
    Ortiz he is over the hill (guilty)
    Scutaro suks at SS dump him
    Beckett trade him
    Yes I know there are those that failed along the way Lugo, some say Drew, and others but he knows the players far better than anyone on this site.
    So despite the fire Terry sentiment IMHO he is the best manager ever for the RS. Any one who has coached knows that keeping 25+ guys happy in the clubhouse is more than half the battle. You have to have every player having their team mates best interests in mind while winning and losing. You can not have discord in the clubhouse and have a successful ont the field exception being the A's of the 70's.

15. This post has been removed.

16. This post has been removed.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from BeaconHill19. Show BeaconHill19's posts

Peanutandme is the understudy for Bosox1941. It is obvious when he keeps parroting Bosox1941's famous lines. He is either the understudy or else the same person.

18. This post has been removed.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from peanutandme. Show peanutandme's posts

No BOSOX1941 and Peanutandme are two different people, just so you know.

And why is it that just because we don't agree on Francona's managerial skills, we are idiots? You mean we can't have differing opinions?

I have never, nor never will call anyone a idiot for disagreeing with me. But I fail to see Francona's genius at the managing job. That's all it is. I  do not dislike him as a member of Sox nation, and feel he has some very good qualities about him, such as his ability to communicate with his player's and seems to keep everyone happy. He never shows up a player, seems leve headed and seems to be a calming inflience on the team.

And again no manager will ever make all the right calls, make every decision a winning one, or always make every fan happy, but if we are really honest with ourselves, we cannot honestly say he is a great between the lines manager, because that is just not the case.

I don't honestly feel I am a basher, and always give my player or manager the benefit of the doubt[don't we all make excuses for our side?], but I also know what I see over the course of 162 games, and now for 8 years terry seems to have no better feel for game time decisions than when he came here 8 years ago.

Am I happy the Sox won twice in this period, absoutely, and will always link Francona to these teams, but also realize that these teams were geared to win, regardless of who was the manager, and would we not be all disappointed if they had not won at least once?

If you like Terry, that's fine with me, but respect the fact that  while I will always love the Sox as you do, I still will disagree with you on certain points.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

Certainly was not gutsy to pitch Bard... that was typical Tito. It worked out, two times before that didn't. Point is Tito will send Bard out every time for the 8th .... for better or worse.

Bard had been quite good until recently, 3 k's last night seems decent.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from BeaconHill19. Show BeaconHill19's posts

Of course. Tito could have projected Bard's recent troubles and benched him for the year instead of looking his stats for the season. Pedroia had a recent slump so does that mean that he should have been benched? Give me a break.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from BOSOX1941. Show BOSOX1941's posts

[QUOTE]If Bard had been ineffective again Francona would be taking a beating.  That was a gutsy call.
    Posted by Hfxsoxnut[/QUOTE]

I guess you could call it gutsy, but certainly not smart, unless you're using hindsight.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from BeaconHill19. Show BeaconHill19's posts

Using Bard was based on his season performance statistics and perhaps that they corrected his mechanics of recent days. The only other option was to assume that his poor performance of recent days would continue for the rest of the year and that would be foolish. Perhaps the alarmists were ready to designate him for assignment. It is a good thing that the buffoons in this forum don't manage.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

What it boils down to is-

1-Tito thinks long term and cares less about shirt term results.  His moves are designed for success in the playoffs, not today.  A lot of the critics live inning by inning.

2-For the critics, they'll always take the easy way out.  If Bard had gotten hit, there would be 10 threads about it.  When he's successful, then it was an obvious move.

For whatever reason, the critics seem uncomfortable admitting when Tito makes the right move.  They have an ideology that revolves around 'Tito is always wrong'.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Why Francona is successful and why the Coma Basher's are not : I guess you could call it gutsy, but certainly not smart, unless you're using hindsight.
    Posted by BOSOX1941[/QUOTE]

So you think it would be better not to get Bard back in a groove in time for the playoffs?