Why I hope we don't back into the playoffs

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from BOSOX2006WSC. Show BOSOX2006WSC's posts

Why I hope we don't back into the playoffs

I've been a Sox fan for almost 40 years living in NJ, Yankee land. I've taken sooooo much abuse from these BS NY fans about my beloved Sox for numerous years which I just swallowed and grinned FU. Now wish we didn"t make the playoffs because we DO NOT DESERVE IT. When you have a roster filled with has beens like Wake, VTek & our missing in action RF Mr Drew & BP pitchers like Miller & Lackey etc, we don't deserve a playoff spot. Theo needs to address this ASAP in the office season. Even then we should have enough horses to play .500 ball in September.....I'm so frustrated I can't think straight !!!!!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from 1958lesspaul. Show 1958lesspaul's posts

Re: Why I hope we don't back into the playoffs

Varitek's magic fingers a has been? You dare to say?  Yes, Varitek is a back up catcher and ahas been, but team is still very much alive.

Take a deep breath and get back in your fox hole.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from lucbom. Show lucbom's posts

In Response to Why I hope we don't back into the playoffs:
    [QUOTE]I've been a Sox fan for almost 40 years living in NJ, Yankee land. I've taken sooooo much abuse from these BS NY fans about my beloved Sox for numerous years which I just swallowed and grinned FU. Now wish we didn"t make the playoffs because we DO NOT DESERVE IT. When you have a roster filled with has beens like Wake, VTek & our missing in action RF Mr Drew & BP pitchers like Miller & Lackey etc, we don't deserve a playoff spot. Theo needs to address this ASAP in the office season. Even then we should have enough horses to play .500 ball in September.....I'm so frustrated I can't think straight !!!!!
    Posted by BOSOX2006WSC[/QUOTE]

Join the crowd "BOSOX".....we all feel your pain and frustration.  It's unbelievable!  GO SOX DESPITE THEO AND FRANCONA.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from BOSOX2006WSC. Show BOSOX2006WSC's posts

Really ? Tek's magic fingers ? That my friend is so over-rated. I rather see Salty catch all the games and hit .200 then we will get a better effort. I loved Tek but his time has longed pasted. When is the last time Tek threw out a base runner ? When is the last time Tek drove in a run with a extra base hit with 2 outs ? When was the last time he blocked a wild pitch or held on to a ball at a play at home or threw out a player trying to advance on a throw ? Answer, few and far between. Loved him but time to go.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

We are in the play-offs as of today.... testemant to lots of wins this summer.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from itllnevahapn. Show itllnevahapn's posts

you do realize catchers dont catch all 162 games, and you need a back up catcher, there isnt one better than Tek. if ypure putting blame on him, then youre blind to the real problem

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from BOSOX2006WSC. Show BOSOX2006WSC's posts

Obviously I was being sarcastic about a catcher playing 162 games & wasn't blaming Tek for all of the Sox issues but he is a huge part of the problem. My take is he and Wake can not be on this team next year, period. Time to go, it happens to the best of them and actually should have happened a long while ago.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from 1958lesspaul. Show 1958lesspaul's posts

My take is he and Wake can not be on this team next year, period. Time to go, it happens to the best of them and actually should have happened a long while ago.

I hope Red Sox management take is the same. Time to put these 55 million fat cats to rest. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

In Response to Re: Why I hope we don't back into the playoffs:
    [QUOTE]My take is he and Wake can not be on this team next year, period. Time to go, it happens to the best of them and actually should have happened a long while ago. I hope Red Sox management take is the same. Time to put these 55 million fat cats to rest. 
    Posted by 1958lesspaul[/QUOTE]

Starting with 51 million dollar Japanese posting fees.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from 1958lesspaul. Show 1958lesspaul's posts

Name the 40 year old catchers and 45 year old pitchers in MLB.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from bald-predictions. Show bald-predictions's posts

Teams that back into the playoffs have just as good of a record getting to the WS as teams that are hot. The 06 Cards, 05 White Sox, 97 Marlins and 98 Yankees all had sub-.500 records in September and won a World Series. The Rockies, Tigers, and Giants all got hot and made it to WS, too. In the end, it's all about match ups and talent, really. I think if the Red Sox make the playoffs, by throwing Beckett, Lester and Bedard, they're looking deeper in SP than everyone else in the AL. If they get Buccholz back which is looking like a very real possibility, look out.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

I don't think the 98 Yanks had a sub-500 record. I think that was the 2000 Yanks, but you make an excellent point. Once you get in, everything changes. Pressure, intensity, etc. The Sox are filled with veterans who have been through the post season wars many times. Anything is possible. Not sure I agre with the idea that Beckett, Lester, Bedard are the deepest starting three in the AL.

I will never understand how a fan can root against their own team.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from user_4411795. Show user_4411795's posts

[QUOTE] Teams that back into the playoffs have just as good of a record getting to the WS as teams that are hot. The 06 Cards, 05 White Sox, 97 Marlins and 98 Yankees all had sub-.500 records in September and won a World Series. The Rockies, Tigers, and Giants all got hot and made it to WS, too. In the end, it's all about match ups and talent, really. I think if the Red Sox make the playoffs, by throwing Beckett, Lester and Bedard, they're looking deeper in SP than everyone else in the AL. If they get Buccholz back which is looking like a very real possibility, look out.
    Posted by bald-predictions[/QUOTE]
    According to Francona if Bucholz does come back he won't make any starts in the playoffs, he won't start until next year.  Also Jessey was correct it was definitely not the 1998 Yanks that played poorly in September but the 2000 Yankees.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from itllnevahapn. Show itllnevahapn's posts

[QUOTE]Obviously I was being sarcastic about a catcher playing 162 games & wasn't blaming Tek for all of the Sox issues but he is a huge part of the problem. My take is he and Wake can not be on this team next year, period. Time to go, it happens to the best of them and actually should have happened a long while ago.

i agree about wake, but who really cares who the backup catcher is, he catches 1 game a week

15. This post has been removed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from BeaconHill19. Show BeaconHill19's posts

In Response to Why I hope we don't back into the playoffs:
    [QUOTE]I've been a Sox fan for almost 40 years living in NJ, Yankee land. I've taken sooooo much abuse from these BS NY fans about my beloved Sox for numerous years which I just swallowed and grinned FU. Now wish we didn"t make the playoffs because we DO NOT DESERVE IT. When you have a roster filled with has beens like Wake, VTek & our missing in action RF Mr Drew & BP pitchers like Miller & Lackey etc, we don't deserve a playoff spot. Theo needs to address this ASAP in the office season. Even then we should have enough horses to play .500 ball in September.....I'm so frustrated I can't think straight !!!!!

Your first post in 32 months. What a shame that you weren't here during better days.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from DirtyWaterLover. Show DirtyWaterLover's posts

Wake and tek are the problems?  really.  A guy that catches 40% of the games and the 6th/spot starter are the reasons the team is playing so badly in September?  Amazing.

Newsflash - neither tek nor wake are on the field when Lackey pitches.  Tek and wake make a combined $4 million out of a payroll north of $160 million.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

[QUOTE] Teams that back into the playoffs have just as good of a record getting to the WS as teams that are hot. The 06 Cards, 05 White Sox, 97 Marlins and 98 Yankees all had sub-.500 records in September and won a World Series. The Rockies, Tigers, and Giants all got hot and made it to WS, too. In the end, it's all about match ups and talent, really. I think if the Red Sox make the playoffs, by throwing Beckett, Lester and Bedard, they're looking deeper in SP than everyone else in the AL. If they get Buccholz back which is looking like a very real possibility, look out.
    Posted by bald-predictions[/QUOTE]

There's a difference between backing in and a team playing sub .300 ball, which is what the Red Sox are doing.

And are you joking about the Red Sox starting pitching looking deeper than the other teams?

Yankees:
    Sabathia
    Nova (16-4, 3.62 ERA)
    Colon/Garcia - Both with ERA's sub 4.00

Rangers:
    CJ Wilson - Enough said
    Derek Holland - 15-5 3.92
    Matt Harrison - 13-9 3.42
    Ogando - 13-8 3.58

Tigers:
    Verlander
    Fister - 10-13, sub 3 ERA, but 7-1, 2.02 ERA since arriving in Det
    Scherzer - 14-9 4.39

Now the Red Sox:
    Beckett 13-6, 2.70
    Lester 15-8 , 3.15
    Bedard 5-9, 3.50 but hurt

But the biggest factor is that the Red Sox starters average 6.4 IP per start or less, which means, drum roll, multiple bullpen innings.

CC, Verlander, Wilson, Harrison average 7+ and they get to their set up guys and closers much sooner.

And I'm not sure how you even include Bedard. He didn't make it out of the 3rd inning the other day.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

They need to get in the playoffs any way they can. If they fail to make it , the label of " chokers " will remain with them forever. Even getting swept in the ALDS would be better than that. Can they do it ?  Not if they continue to play as they have been. The moment of truth is at hand , starting Friday night.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from can-you-dig-it. Show can-you-dig-it's posts

First: 5/5/2011
    Last: 9/22/2011
     Teams that back into the playoffs have just as good of a record getting to the WS as teams that are hot. The 06 Cards, 05 White Sox, 97 Marlins and 98 Yankees all had sub-.500 records in September and won a World Series. The Rockies, Tigers, and Giants all got hot and made it to WS, too. In the end, it's all about match ups and talent, really. I think if the Red Sox make the playoffs, by throwing Beckett, Lester and Bedard, they're looking deeper in SP than everyone else in the AL. If they get Buccholz back which is looking like a very real possibility, look out.
    We're all born bald, baby.
    BP, great to see you again,  I am sorry but I must correct you a little bit on this one, 

the 98 yankess were 17-12 in September
    the 05 white sox were 16-11 in September
    the 06 cards and 97 Marlins did have losing records in Sept at 12-16 and 12-17 but no where near what our sox are doing.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from 1958lesspaul. Show 1958lesspaul's posts

Tek and wake make a combined $4 million

Wakefield is no good as a pen arm or a starter. 25 roster spots arent meant to harbour 6th starters. Millions for Wakefield is irrelevant.

Varetek can't field the position nor can he hit. A dime would be too much for Varetek making roster 23 in size.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from WilcyMoore. Show WilcyMoore's posts

Food for thought.  Some fans have been referring to seasons in which a team played poorly in September and went on to have success in the postseason.  Although it's been briefly mentioned I wanted to provide the facts as they related to the 2000 WS Champion New York Yankees.  

A total of 9 teams that year had more regular season wins than the Yankees.  Some of the teams that did not even qualify for the postseason had 5 or 6 wins more than the Yankees.  The Yankees' record in September was 13 wins and 17 losses and they lost the one game they played in October so they had won 13 of their last 31 games.  They barely eked out a series win, 3 games to 2 in the ALDS against the superior Oakland Athletics and went on to win the World Series rather easily thereafter. 

The point is that backing into the playoffs can result in what appears to be highly unlikely in the moment.  Old cliches like it is a brand new season or ballgame if you will, sometimes it's far better to be lucky than good and anything can and often does happen in October are all truisms.  Any fan who does not want their team to compete in the postseason is obviously not a fan of that team.  I don't know what they are, but that's the opposite of what being a real fan is.  A real fan always hopes against hope especially in the face of adversity that the team will turn it around and play and compete like they know they can.