Why in the heck was Jake taken out?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

Why in hell was Jake taken out?

Dumbest freaken move of the year in the middle of a tough pennant race.  Hopefully this doesn't burn us again or Farrell is a moron.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Re: Why in hell was Jake taken out?

Why? probably because he was out for 2 months, only 2 games back, and he had a pretty good wait while the sox got some runs.

I didnt agree with putting Taz out there, but it barely worked. farrell needs to realize he has fresh arms down there and just because its the 8th inning doesnt mean he absolutely has to go with taz...Britton has been great, but Farrell seems like hes going to be stubborn to a fault with his bullpen. Hes going to ruin Taz if he keeps sending him out there day after day.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

Wow.  Really tough crowd on this board.  I thought taking Peavy out was pretty obvious after the opening single.  When Breslow gave up the single against a lefty batter, I thought Tazawa made sense.  Tazawa gave up a single but got three outs and is now branded as totally useless and his manager an idiot. 

Like I said, tough crowd. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from charliedarling. Show charliedarling's posts

Peavy was taken out for a couple of reasons.  The first was just as Southpaw said, the second just as maxbialystock mentioned and the third was to be sure that he could only win the game which was both a PR move and a personal confidence thing for Peavy.

Nice game by Peavy and good moves (again) by Farrell and his staff.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to maxbialystock's comment:

Wow.  Really tough crowd on this board.  I thought taking Peavy out was pretty obvious after the opening single.  When Breslow gave up the single against a lefty batter, I thought Tazawa made sense.  Tazawa gave up a single but got three outs and is now branded as totally useless and his manager an idiot. 

I dont think hes an idiot Max, but I think I have a valid arguement when Taz was used for 2IP last night, already has a ton of IP, and hasnt looked very sharp. There are fresh arms in that pen and we are going to NEED Taz in sept and Oct.. He has 50IP already with 2 months left and then the playoffs. He threw 44IP last year. farrell cant just keep throwing him out there like this and expect to see good results. hes going to hit a wall.

Maybe Im overreacting, but 50IP on aug 3rd is a lot and with 2BS recently Im a bit concerned.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sheriff-Rojas. Show Sheriff-Rojas's posts

Plus, Breslow just had some tough breaks: an HBP on a waste pitch that hit an unlucky spot, and a weak ground ball that found a hole.  

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

In response to southpaw777's comment:

Why? probably because he was out for 2 months, only 2 games back, and he had a pretty good wait while the sox got some runs.

I didnt agree with putting Taz out there, but it barely worked. farrell needs to realize he has fresh arms down there and just because its the 8th inning doesnt mean he absolutely has to go with taz...Britton has been great, but Farrell seems like hes going to be stubborn to a fault with his bullpen. Hes going to ruin Taz if he keeps sending him out there day after day.

southpaw - I'm hoping that once Workman gets back, he'll be the 8th inning guy. He's got strikout pitches which is what you need in that role. Tazawa does not.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sheriff-Rojas. Show Sheriff-Rojas's posts

When I first read this headline, I was concerned, and thought I may have missed a late inning injury replacement for Jacoby Ellsbury.  Guess I've got to get used to two players called Jake.  

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to ADG's comment:

[QUOTE]

southpaw - I'm hoping that once Workman gets back, he'll be the 8th inning guy. He's got strikout pitches which is what you need in that role. Tazawa does not.

[/QUOTE]

I hope so ADG. Taz is on pace for over 80IP...Ideally, he should be around 60-70.

I agree that Workmans "stuff" would play well in the late innings (not a closer though).

I aslo wish he would give Britton a chance in the late innings instead of Breslow. He can get both LH and RHH out.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxnewmex. Show soxnewmex's posts

Agree w/SP that Taz could use a blow and Britton deserves a meaningful inning.  Yeah, I thought this was a Jacoby Ellsbury thread too!

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

Tazawa is useful, but he is getting burned out. I would like to see him around if we manage to make the playoffs. Farrell cannot run him out there every night in the 8th inning or he will be toast come October. Its time to give him a rest from time to time.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I hope so ADG. Taz is on pace for over 80IP...Ideally, he should be around 60-70.

I agree that Workmans "stuff" would play well in the late innings (not a closer though).

I aslo wish he would give Britton a chance in the late innings instead of Breslow. He can get both LH and RHH out.

[/QUOTE]

not surecthat i agree that Tazawa is being overused. Since July 7th Tazawa has made 10 appearances and thrown a total of 10 1/3 innings in the last month (with a couple of 3 or 4 day breaks in between a few). last night was the first time in that time frame that he'd pitched with out getting a day off in between appearances. If we use his current GP 50 and innings pitched 49, if he stays on the same pace 10 innings per month then he'll end up somewhere around 70 in both innings and appearances. On the season he's only been asked to pitch on consecutive days in 9 of his 50 appearances and has never been asked to pitch three consecutive days. Also in his 50 appearances he's only been asked to get more than 3 outs 5 times...

Fear not that Farrel and Nieves both understand how to manage the workload of each member of the pen. The bigger issue facing the team is if, not Tazawa then whom do they have they can trust in the late innings vs righties. That's where Villarreal comes into play and perhaps Workman? 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from S5. Show S5's posts

Tough crowd?  Do you want to talk about a tough crowd??

Just three days ago we has someone who was our SS of the future, a slick feeling GG'er whom we couldn't wait to see in a full time role.  He wa being projected here to hit somewhere between a low of .220 and a high of .250 and that was ok because of his glove.

Yesterday some on the board reduced him to a part-time UIF whom we're better off without because can't hit.

You can say what you want about the FO trashing people on the way out, but the FO aren't the only ones doing it. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

In response to craze4sox's comment:

Dumbest freaken move of the year in the middle of a tough penneant race.  Hopefully this doesn't burn us again or Farrell is a moron.

Peavy had 7 IPs and 99 PC.  That is 'about' when starters come out.  The most you are probably talking about is pitching to an extra batter or two.  I'll assume Farrell has information on the bench that indicated he'd be better off with Breslow.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

He's on pace for more like 71.  That makes him #15 in the AL among RPs.  Less is better, but imho, a couple of less IPs for a non-closer, takes less precedence than a W.  People used to accuse Torre of burning out his BP, which he did, and I believe it was the correct move.  Burn out the middle inning guys for as many wins as possible, and pick up more middle inning guys next year.

I'd be more worried about Uehara.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

Why? I have a different question: Why was Peavey allowed to go back out there in the first place? Why he was taken out is obvious. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from donrd4. Show donrd4's posts

Dumbest freaken move of the year in the middle of a tough penneant race.  Hopefully this doesn't burn us again or Farrell is a moron.

Dumbest Freaken post of the year. Peavy was taken out for a real good reason. Do we know why ? No we don't. Why isn't the Dumbest freaken poster manager of the Boston Red Sox >? Farrell is a moron? How old are you? Maybe you shouldn't be posting on here. If you are mentally challenged i'm sorry for my what i'm saying.If Not, I hope you grow up,become a man someday. If you are our future were in trouble if you are not our future ,where did you fail?  Think before you post!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from S5. Show S5's posts

In response to TheExaminer's comment:

Why? I have a different question: Why was Peavey allowed to go back out there in the first place? Why he was taken out is obvious. 

That's the best question of the thread.  With 99 pitches it was obvious by what happened later that he was on a very short leash, so why not let the RP start with a clean inning?

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

In response to S5's comment:

In response to TheExaminer's comment:

[QUOTE]

That's the best question of the thread.  With 99 pitches it was obvious by what happened later that he was on a very short leash, so why not let the RP start with a clean inning?

[/QUOTE]

There is no way to tell, just like there was no way for the OP to be correct.  Without being in the dugout, we have no clue whatsoever.  It is not a more compelling circumstance, like 70 PC or 120 PC.  He is at 99, right on the cusp.  I have no doubt that Farrell talked to him, and maybe talked to Salty as well.

Maybe Peavy tells Farrell he is on the edge.  Maybe Farrell decides to try to get one more IP out of him, but is going to pull him as soon as the batter becomes the tying run, given Peavy's penchant for HRs, in favor of Breslow, who usually keeps the ball in the park.

My whole objection is for the OP calling Farrell a moron, when he doesn't have the first clue of why Peavy was taken out.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to S5's comment:

Tough crowd?  Do you want to talk about a tough crowd??

Just three days ago we has someone who was our SS of the future, a slick feeling GG'er whom we couldn't wait to see in a full time role.  He wa being projected here to hit somewhere between a low of .220 and a high of .250 and that was ok because of his glove.

Yesterday some on the board reduced him to a part-time UIF whom we're better off without because can't hit.

You can say what you want about the FO trashing people on the way out, but the FO aren't the only ones doing it. 

stay on task S5. There are plenty of Iggy threads to vent your frustrations brother.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Ok, like I said I could be overreacting. Im just a little concerned because hes been less than stellar this year. All in all hes been Ok. I think it must be the fact that he has given up more hits than IP. Im used to Taz shutting teams down and hes not doing that this year. His ball doesnt seem to have as much life and movement on it this year and he leaves the ball up a lot. Hes making things more "interesting" this year is all I guess. Ahhhh, such is the life of a middle reliever I guess.

23. This post has been removed.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

I dont think hes an idiot Max, but I think I have a valid arguement when Taz was used for 2IP last night, already has a ton of IP, and hasnt looked very sharp. There are fresh arms in that pen and we are going to NEED Taz in sept and Oct.. He has 50IP already with 2 months left and then the playoffs. He threw 44IP last year. farrell cant just keep throwing him out there like this and expect to see good results. hes going to hit a wall.

Maybe Im overreacting, but 50IP on aug 3rd is a lot and with 2BS recently Im a bit concerned.

The guy spread out 4 hits through 7 innings I don't think giving up a single was worth panicking over if it was Dempster a totally different story.  I also think this team needs a long relief guy like possibly Workman in the pen when guys like Demp do fall apart in the fouth or fifth inning.  It may have saved us a few games this season.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

The guy spread out 4 hits through 7 innings I don't think giving up a single was worth panicking over if it was Dempster a totally different story.  I also think this team needs a long relief guy like possibly Workman in the pen when guys like Demp do fall apart in the fouth or fifth inning.  It may have saved us a few games this season.

Taz has been very hittable. he has more hits than IP. His velocity was down for a few games, but seems to have come back. He leaves the ball up a lot this year which gives me heartburn when he pitches. I like taz bur hes making things interesting this year when he pitches.

Farrell didnt need to use him as much in July, partially because of the ASG, but had 13+IP in april 11IP in may and 13+IP in June. If hes used a lot down the stretch, like I said, he could easily touch 80IP before the playoffs even start. Sorry, but that worries me.

he had 86IP last year, so he can do it. Im usually pretty level headed during the year but I just seem to get a bit antsy when august comes around...

Sections
Shortcuts