Why is Beckett so Good this Year!?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from beavis. Show beavis's posts

Why is Beckett so Good this Year!?

He is throwing the Cut fastball for strikes?  Should other Sox pitchers throw it?

The master is of course, Mariano Rivera thats all he throws.

Thoughts?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

Re: Why is Beckett so Good this Year!?

This is easy:  odd year.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

Healthy. In shape. Determined.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

In Response to Re: Why is Beckett so Good this Year!?:
    [QUOTE]This is easy:  odd year.
    Posted by SpacemanEephus[/QUOTE]

You stole my answer.

Laughing

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from tomnev. Show tomnev's posts

His command is just fantastic this year...hitting all his spots. His cutter has been good but his velocity on his FB is low 90's and his change is in the mid to high 80's...you would think he should be hittable....but he is throwing the right pitches at the right times and putting them exactly where he wants them to be....very Maddux like.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

In Response to Why is Beckett so Good this Year!?:
    [QUOTE]He is throwing the Cut fastball for strikes?  Should other Sox pitchers throw it? The master is of course, Mariano Rivera thats all he throws. Thoughts?
    Posted by beavis[/QUOTE]

One reason, Beckett is as stubborn and hard headed as any pitcher in baseball.  It was well known he was upset when Tek was benched in favor of Victor.  After watching Josh's excuses and problems over the years I would say most are in his head.

He feels more comfortable with Tek although he still shakes him off as much as anyone.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from OhEFFU. Show OhEFFU's posts

I don't think it's the cutter so much as the two-seam running fastball.  Cutter is good, yeah, but the two-seamer, only in the low 90's as has been pointed out, moves a lot AND he can put it where he wants to.  Out pitch to lefties who read it as inside and then it moves over.  If they swing and hit it hard, likely foul down the right field line.  Then add cutter and sometimes good curve ball...here's to it carrying on all year.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from beavis. Show beavis's posts

[QUOTE]I don't think it's the cutter so much as the two-seam running fastball.  Cutter is good, yeah, but the two-seamer, only in the low 90's as has been pointed out, moves a lot AND he can put it where he wants to.  Out pitch to lefties who read it as inside and then it moves over.  If they swing and hit it hard, likely foul down the right field line.  Then add cutter and sometimes good curve ball...here's to it carrying on all year.
    Posted by OhEFFU[/QUOTE]

Nice answer, but he married a Rocket Scientist...LOL..

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from OhEFFU. Show OhEFFU's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Why is Beckett so Good this Year!? : Nice answer, but he married a Rocket Scientist...LOL..
    Posted by beavis[/QUOTE]

Sorry, I'm slow, don't get it.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from JB-3. Show JB-3's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Why is Beckett so Good this Year!? : You stole my answer.
    Posted by royf19[/QUOTE]

He's been remarkably consistent aside from his injury plagued 2010.

His FIP's:
    2007: 3.08
    2008: 3.24
    2009: 3.63
    2010: 4.54
    2011: 3.05

Doesn't look like an odd/even year issue to me.

From 2003 - 2006 he only once posted a FIP above 3.60.  That was his first season in the AL East (2006).

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from WE5NUTS. Show WE5NUTS's posts

These are Beckett's ERA's from 2006 to this year: 5.01, 3.28, 4.03, 3.86, 5.76, and 2.12. You'll notice that he does bad in even years (his cumulative ERA in 06, 08, and 10 is about 5.00) and good during odd years (his cumulative ERA in 07, 09, and 11 is in the low 3s, about Lester-range). It's almost like we should sit Beckett during even years and use him like the Brewers used Sabathia in 08 in odd years. (Have him complete every game he starts and only start him on 3 days rest.)

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from JB-3. Show JB-3's posts

In Response to Why is Beckett so Good this Year!?:
    [QUOTE]He is throwing the Cut fastball for strikes?  Should other Sox pitchers throw it? The master is of course, Mariano Rivera thats all he throws. Thoughts?
    Posted by beavis[/QUOTE]

He isn't throwing it much more than he did last year (15.3% is 2010 vs 17.5% so far in 2011, a 14.4% increase).  He is however throwing far more changeups this year (11.3% in 2010 vs 15.1% so far in 2011, a 33.6% increase).

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxKimmi. Show RedSoxKimmi's posts

He was getting hit hard last year, IMO due to poor conditioning and injury which likely caused him to alter his mechanics ever so slightly.  That bad performance was not likely going to be sustained.   This year, he's healthy, and throwing quality pitches.  His FB has better movement than it did last year.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from beavis. Show beavis's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Why is Beckett so Good this Year!? : Sorry, I'm slow, don't get it.
    Posted by OhEFFU[/QUOTE]

For real, he REALLY did marry a Rocket Scientist!!! Holly Fisher...

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxnewmex. Show soxnewmex's posts

Don't know why, the cutter the change the fastball, but after last year it's a real pleasant surprise and let's hope he keeps it up for the duration.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Why is Beckett so Good this Year!? : He's been remarkably consistent aside from his injury plagued 2010. His FIP's: 2007: 3.08 2008: 3.24 2009: 3.63 2010: 4.54 2011: 3.05 Doesn't look like an odd/even year issue to me. From 2003 - 2006 he only once posted a FIP above 3.60.  That was his first season in the AL East (2006).
    Posted by JB-3[/QUOTE]

Space and I were being tongue in cheek based on ERA.

2001: 1.50
    2002: 4.10
    2003: 3.04
    2004: 3.79
    2005: 3.38
    2006: 5.01
    2007: 3.27
    2008: 4.03
    2009: 3.86
    2010: 5.78
    2011: 2.12

See a pattern?

I never base any evaluation good or bad on one stat with any player, and I'm not doing it here. That's why my post had wink next to it.

ERA does tell you a lot, however. 

As for FIP -- it is a flawed stat in itself. It might be helpful, but like ERA, not by itself.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Camelwalk. Show Camelwalk's posts

[QUOTE]Healthy. In shape. Determined.
    Posted by harness[/QUOTE]

Beckett is without a doubt pitching well but he is far from in shape, this is the most out of shape I have seen him in his career.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from jimdavis. Show jimdavis's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Why is Beckett so Good this Year!? : Beckett is without a doubt pitching well but he is far from in shape, this is the most out of shape I have seen him in his career.
    Posted by Camelwalk[/QUOTE]

You say that yet others have said he looks to be in great shape and posted pics to back it up.  Who is right?

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from jete02fan. Show jete02fan's posts

also the return of that 2007 filthy curve..

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Camelwalk. Show Camelwalk's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Why is Beckett so Good this Year!? : You say that yet others have said he looks to be in great shape and posted pics to back it up.  Who is right?
    Posted by jimdavis[/QUOTE]

His gut is bigger than ever, regardless he is pitching well.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from fourrings. Show fourrings's posts

his stuff looks pretty much the same so it's gotta be location/command

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from JB-3. Show JB-3's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Why is Beckett so Good this Year!? : Space and I were being tongue in cheek based on ERA. 2001: 1.50 2002: 4.10 2003: 3.04 2004: 3.79 2005: 3.38 2006: 5.01 2007: 3.27 2008: 4.03 2009: 3.86 2010: 5.78 2011: 2.12 See a pattern? I never base any evaluation good or bad on one stat with any player, and I'm not doing it here. That's why my post had wink next to it. ERA does tell you a lot, however.  As for FIP -- it is a flawed stat in itself. It might be helpful, but like ERA, not by itself.
    Posted by royf19[/QUOTE]

My bad, I've just heard people try to make that argument before and it completely ignores the adjustment from NL ast to AL East and the back injury last year.... I also completely missed the wink Embarassed

It's been one of those days.

I will say, that although FIP is flawed to an extent, it's more reliable than ERA.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxmeister. Show soxmeister's posts

As mentioned, his curve is back ... and very effective.  

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

I liked Curt Schilling's analysis of the difference between Beckett's 2010 and 2011.  He pointed to his injury preventing from finishing his motion on his pitches, most importantly his fastballs. consequently he couldn't work down in the zone with them, and once you are leaving the cheese up in the zone in the bigs, you are going to get rocked.  He said he went through this one year himself.  

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

[QUOTE]His command is just fantastic this year...hitting all his spots. His cutter has been good but his velocity on his FB is low 90's and his change is in the mid to high 80's...you would think he should be hittable....but he is throwing the right pitches at the right times and putting them exactly where he wants them to be....very Maddux like.
    Posted by tomnev[/QUOTE]

He must have a good caddy!