Why is Beckett still starting games?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bisson1. Show Bisson1's posts

Why is Beckett still starting games?

Why....

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from traven. Show traven's posts

Re: Why is Beckett still starting games?

Because he is being paid a lot of money to start games. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

Because we're hoping he'll remember how to throw his curveball?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

In Response to Re: Why is Beckett still starting games?:
    [QUOTE]Because he is being paid a lot of money to start games. 
    Posted by traven[/QUOTE]
     I thought he was being paid an obscene amount of money to WIN games?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

[QUOTE]Because he is being paid a lot of money to start games. 
    Posted by traven[/QUOTE]

He's actually being paid to win games. If he's not winning games, then why start him?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

[QUOTE]Because we're hoping he'll remember how to throw his curveball?
    Posted by carnie[/QUOTE]

I don't believe he's been able to consistently throw his curve for strikes and with a sharp break since 2009.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Motown9009. Show Motown9009's posts

Anyone catch that little smirk when he sat on the bench after they yanked him? That's what kills me about him. That's defiant attitude.

They should skip a start or two. Or stick him in the bullpen. Something to send the message that he has to fix whatever is wrong. He doesn't seem to care, goes out, gets lit up, does what he wants, and five days later he's back on the mound like nothing happened.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from JN86. Show JN86's posts

Why is Lester starting games? 

Josh is having a tough second half.  I am still going with he had a pretty good first half (didn't get much run support).  He had two tough games before the AS break and all the rest were pretty good.  Since the AS he has been having a tough time.  It seems to be one inning that kills him in most games.  Either the beginning of the game or the middle. 

What really gets me is how people excuse Lester for his poor performances and will always give him a pass - yet slam Beckett for the exact same performances.  However it was good to see Lester have a good game - the 14 runs probably helped him - gave him the ability to pitch more freely. 

But what gets me even more - is how everyone blames Beckett.  I know all the fans and media say he is the "problem" and yet I have still not found or received any facts to prove to me that he is a problem in the clubhouse.  I know he isn't media friendly - but heck I don't think I would be media friendly either with the crazy baseball media folks we have here in Boston.  They are out of control.

I don't think Beckett should go.  I still think he can help this team.  I do think he wants to win and is trying to re-invent himself.  He definitely can't be the power pitcher anymore - but I do think still think he is a good pitcher.  But the way Red Sox FANS have treated him - I am sure he will want to be that good pitcher somewhere else.

Everyone on the team is having a tough time - there are moments of greatness but it is few and far between.  You leave 10 men on base (and this has happened many times this year) and that is a problem.  Sure if Beckett pitched better it would be a good game - but he still would have had to pitch a shut out to win the game.  And if you look - that has been the case for several of the games.  The Sox have had the same pattern the entire season.  A game here and there where they Sox a large number of runs and then nothing for the next few games.  You can't win ball games like that. 

It has been a tough Sox season all around.  To blame it on one player is ridiculous.  Maybe if FANS would show some support in the tough times it might just give that extra bit of encouragement a team needs when they are down.  Right now I am embarrassed being a Sox fan - we should be supporting this team in good and in bad times.  But with the maniac media that continues to write negative stuff everyday - it adds so much more fuel to the fire.

Some times teams go through tough times - a few years back the Yankees went through it and other teams go through it as well.  Remember you have to have bad times to appreciate the good times.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

As opposed to who?

10. This post has been removed.

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

[QUOTE]Wakefield threw a big passive aggressive temper tantrum when he was sent to the pen. Great idea, send slob union boss Beckett to the bullpen and tell him to make sure to clean up his spit.
    Posted by TrotterNixon[/QUOTE]Wakefield closed when he came up.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

[QUOTE]Why is Lester starting games?  Josh is having a tough second half.  I am still going with he had a pretty good first half (didn't get much run support).  He had two tough games before the AS break and all the rest were pretty good.  Since the AS he has been having a tough time.  It seems to be one inning that kills him in most games.  Either the beginning of the game or the middle.  What really gets me is how people excuse Lester for his poor performances and will always give him a pass - yet slam Beckett for the exact same performances.  However it was good to see Lester have a good game - the 14 runs probably helped him - gave him the ability to pitch more freely.  But what gets me even more - is how everyone blames Beckett.  I know all the fans and media say he is the "problem" and yet I have still not found or received any facts to prove to me that he is a problem in the clubhouse.  I know he isn't media friendly - but heck I don't think I would be media friendly either with the crazy baseball media folks we have here in Boston.  They are out of control. I don't think Beckett should go.  I still think he can help this team.  I do think he wants to win and is trying to re-invent himself.  He definitely can't be the power pitcher anymore - but I do think still think he is a good pitcher.  But the way Red Sox FANS have treated him - I am sure he will want to be that good pitcher somewhere else. Everyone on the team is having a tough time - there are moments of greatness but it is few and far between.  You leave 10 men on base (and this has happened many times this year) and that is a problem.  Sure if Beckett pitched better it would be a good game - but he still would have had to pitch a shut out to win the game.  And if you look - that has been the case for several of the games.  The Sox have had the same pattern the entire season.  A game here and there where they Sox a large number of runs and then nothing for the next few games.  You can't win ball games like that.  It has been a tough Sox season all around.  To blame it on one player is ridiculous.  Maybe if FANS would show some support in the tough times it might just give that extra bit of encouragement a team needs when they are down.  Right now I am embarrassed being a Sox fan - we should be supporting this team in good and in bad times.  But with the maniac media that continues to write negative stuff everyday - it adds so much more fuel to the fire. Some times teams go through tough times - a few years back the Yankees went through it and other teams go through it as well.  Remember you have to have bad times to appreciate the good times.
    Posted by JN86[/QUOTE]That was a good post.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

[QUOTE]Why is Lester starting games?  Josh is having a tough second half.  I am still going with he had a pretty good first half (didn't get much run support).  He had two tough games before the AS break and all the rest were pretty good.  Since the AS he has been having a tough time.  It seems to be one inning that kills him in most games.  Either the beginning of the game or the middle.  What really gets me is how people excuse Lester for his poor performances and will always give him a pass - yet slam Beckett for the exact same performances.  However it was good to see Lester have a good game - the 14 runs probably helped him - gave him the ability to pitch more freely.  But what gets me even more - is how everyone blames Beckett.  I know all the fans and media say he is the "problem" and yet I have still not found or received any facts to prove to me that he is a problem in the clubhouse.  I know he isn't media friendly - but heck I don't think I would be media friendly either with the crazy baseball media folks we have here in Boston.  They are out of control. I don't think Beckett should go.  I still think he can help this team.  I do think he wants to win and is trying to re-invent himself.  He definitely can't be the power pitcher anymore - but I do think still think he is a good pitcher.  But the way Red Sox FANS have treated him - I am sure he will want to be that good pitcher somewhere else. Everyone on the team is having a tough time - there are moments of greatness but it is few and far between.  You leave 10 men on base (and this has happened many times this year) and that is a problem.  Sure if Beckett pitched better it would be a good game - but he still would have had to pitch a shut out to win the game.  And if you look - that has been the case for several of the games.  The Sox have had the same pattern the entire season.  A game here and there where they Sox a large number of runs and then nothing for the next few games.  You can't win ball games like that.  It has been a tough Sox season all around.  To blame it on one player is ridiculous.  Maybe if FANS would show some support in the tough times it might just give that extra bit of encouragement a team needs when they are down.  Right now I am embarrassed being a Sox fan - we should be supporting this team in good and in bad times.  But with the maniac media that continues to write negative stuff everyday - it adds so much more fuel to the fire. Some times teams go through tough times - a few years back the Yankees went through it and other teams go through it as well.  Remember you have to have bad times to appreciate the good times.
    Posted by JN86[/QUOTE]
    Excellent.

With posts like this, you should post more often.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

Beckett hasn't pitched well since his back spasm episode.  But this team is putting a utility INF who was cut by the Pirates at DH!!!

The manager can't control how Beckett pitches, but he can make out lineup cards with less than two utility infielders, especially with one of them is a solely offensive role.

And Podsednik is not the answer, either.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from stan17. Show stan17's posts

Beckett was bad tonight (again), that pitched he groved to McReynolds was a BP fastball. But the hitting w/ runners in scoring position was pathetic.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Teakus. Show Teakus's posts

I'd think with an ERA approaching 5.20 it's time for us to at least come up with a phantom injury to end all of our suffering. The guy is worse than our worst tripple A guy, so what's the harm in sitting him down? He's a completely uncoachable moron, and there ain't no fixing that. Maybe next year...

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

[QUOTE]I'd think with an ERA approaching 5.20 it's time for us to at least come up with a phantom injury to end all of our suffering. The guy is worse than our worst tripple A guy, so what's the harm in sitting him down? He's a completely uncoachable moron, and there ain't no fixing that. Maybe next year...
    Posted by Teakus[/QUOTE]What ever happened to that phantom DL anyway?