Why is McDonald On This Team?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from splendidsplinterteddyballgame. Show splendidsplinterteddyballgame's posts

Why is McDonald On This Team?

For a month now I have have lamenting the fact that Cameron and DMac were on the team.  They finally got rid of Cameron.  Why haven't they gotten rid of McDonald.  He is absolutely HORRIBLE!  He got lucky to hit a 3 run HR in Houston when the Sox were already up big but he can't get a hit in a clutch situation to save his life.  To pinch hit him for Reddick yesterday was a terrible decision by Tito.  This guy is not a major league player.  The Sox cannot get by with a guy hitting .115 batting in clutch situations.  Get rid of him NOW!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

Re: Why is McDonald On This Team?

McDonald rightfully earned a spot in Tito's heart last year by overachieving in the darkest times of Injury Plague 2010.  He proved to be a versatile, cheap, and good-vibe utility outfielder.  

This year, um, not so much.

I understood Francona sticking with him for a couple/few months.  A. its hard to generate offense when you are getting sporadic PT, and b. he earned the opportunity to turn things around with his play last year.

But, its overdue for that window of opportunity to close.  The problem is, he is the only righty outfielder on the roster or ready to come up from AAA.  I am conjecturing that Tito is giving him til the AS break/trade deadline to prove himself.  And, either way, there will be a Francouer or Francouer-lite in the fold by August and Mac will be jettisoned.

This being said, I really don't like all the mean-spirited trashing of D-Mac.  Yes, he has been abysmal at the plate this year.  But this guy earned the love of Sox fans last year.  he is a great guy.  At the end of the day, he is a AAA-calibre baller, but I think all the vitriol is pretty ugly towards a guy that deserves better from us.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from fourrings. Show fourrings's posts

he wouldnt be playing nearly as much if Drew was hitting and Crawford were healthy, and they dont have anyone else at this point. he is a decent outfielder and baserunner but he is what he is a 5th outfield being pushed into a role he should not have.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from tomnev. Show tomnev's posts

In Response to Re: Why is McDonald On This Team?:
    [QUOTE]McDonald rightfully earned a spot in Tito's heart last year by overachieving in the darkest times of Injury Plague 2010.  He proved to be a versatile, cheap, and good-vibe utility outfielder.   This year, um, not so much. I understood Francona sticking with him for a couple/few months.  A. its hard to generate offense when you are getting sporadic PT, and b. he earned the opportunity to turn things around with his play last year. But, its overdue for that window of opportunity to close.  The problem is, he is the only righty outfielder on the roster or ready to come up from AAA.  I am conjecturing that Tito is giving him til the AS break/trade deadline to prove himself.  And, either way, there will be a Francouer or Francouer-lite in the fold by August and Mac will be jettisoned. This being said, I really don't like all the mean-spirited trashing of D-Mac.  Yes, he has been abysmal at the plate this year.  But this guy earned the love of Sox fans last year.  he is a great guy.  At the end of the day, he is a AAA-calibre baller, but I think all the vitriol is pretty ugly towards a guy that deserves better from us.
    Posted by SpacemanEephus[/QUOTE]
    I agree he was a nice Story last year considering the time he had spent in the minors, but considering how bad he has been this year, i dont agree he is the only option at AAA. Daniel Nava has been red hot lately....and he is a Switch hitter....and his numbers with the Sox last year other than the HR's were comparable with McDonalds last year.....clearly not the answer, but i would rather give him a shot again than watch MCDonald struggle anymore.

NAVA
    2010Majors .24260161233914112658194611.351.360.711
    McDonald
    2010Majors .2701173194086183934137308591.336.429.766

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from the_yazzer. Show the_yazzer's posts

yeah, you should see a big improvement if CRAWFORD ever returns.

(the above is sarcasm-the big improvement part)

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

The better question is, why does Francona keep inserting him in the line-up?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Your-Echo. Show Your-Echo's posts

In Response to Why is McDonald On This Team?:
    [QUOTE]For a month now I have have lamenting the fact that Cameron and DMac were on the team.  They finally got rid of Cameron.  Why haven't they gotten rid of McDonald.  He is absolutely HORRIBLE!  He got lucky to hit a 3 run HR in Houston when the Sox were already up big but he can't get a hit in a clutch situation to save his life.  To pinch hit him for Reddick yesterday was a terrible decision by Tito.  This guy is not a major league player.  The Sox cannot get by with a guy hitting .115 batting in clutch situations.  Get rid of him NOW!
    Posted by splendidsplinterteddyballgame[/QUOTE]

Why are 8 of your last 10 posts all on different threads all about bashing one player (McDonald)? Can't you think of anything else to discuss?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

[QUOTE] he wouldnt be playing nearly as much if Drew was hitting and Crawford were healthy, and they dont have anyone else at this point. he is a decent outfielder and baserunner but he is what he is a 5th outfield being pushed into a role he should not have.
    Posted by fourrings[/QUOTE]

He is a decent baserunner? Why don't you check that again. He's been caught stealing more than he has stolen, and he's gotten thrown out at 3rd a couple of times this year, making the last out at 3rd, a baseball no-no.

There is absolutely no justification for him being on the team. Not someone with a .111 average who doesn't provide any other value. He's gone once Crawford returns.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from fourrings. Show fourrings's posts

how about last night?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Why is McDonald On This Team? : He is a decent baserunner? Why don't you check that again. He's been caught stealing more than he has stolen, and he's gotten thrown out at 3rd a couple of times this year, making the last out at 3rd, a baseball no-no. There is absolutely no justification for him being on the team. Not someone with a .111 average who doesn't provide any other value. He's gone once Crawford returns.
    Posted by ADG[/QUOTE]

McD did very well last season but probably better than anyone expected considering his past.  Hes not an aging guy like Cam and knows our team and his role well.  There is a better chance McD may find his groove but I would still like to see an upgrade.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

i have a soft spot in my heart for DMAC - that doesnt mean i think he should be batting fifth and starting everygame but as a sub, he is adequate...and unlike most of our players, he looks fit

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hammah29r2. Show Hammah29r2's posts

In Response to Why is McDonald On This Team?:
    [QUOTE]For a month now I have have lamenting the fact that Cameron and DMac were on the team.  They finally got rid of Cameron.  Why haven't they gotten rid of McDonald.  He is absolutely HORRIBLE!  He got lucky to hit a 3 run HR in Houston when the Sox were already up big but he can't get a hit in a clutch situation to save his life.  To pinch hit him for Reddick yesterday was a terrible decision by Tito.  This guy is not a major league player.  The Sox cannot get by with a guy hitting .115 batting in clutch situations.  Get rid of him NOW!
    Posted by splendidsplinterteddyballgame[/QUOTE]

well chum here's a facecloth to wipe your face.....last night the kid did something that hasn't happened to the sox since 1967........and that's win the game with a perfect throw to the plate to give our sox the victory.

your timing kind of sucks pal!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Your-Echo. Show Your-Echo's posts

When you are hitting 7 for 45 and go 4-4, you raise your BA by 80 points.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from eggplants. Show eggplants's posts

Skill set, minimal money,not too old, decent speed. This is what he showed last year. Good arm and good accuracy. In short, good catch and throw skills. The other side of the ball; hitting for average, hitting for power, timely hitting, pinch hitting, .......not so good. Ideal location? ......smaller park, corner OF position .

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

3-run dingers and nice pegs to the plate...

16. This post has been removed.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from pcfletcher. Show pcfletcher's posts

Right field is an absolute must position to acquire ASAP as neither Cameron, McDonald or Drew deserve(d) to be out there. Hopefully Reddick will keep it up until Someone is brought in to hit at least a bit more than half his weight. How many teams bat a .120 guy (McDonald) fifth, on more than a few occasions? Drew has been, well pathetic.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxnewmex. Show soxnewmex's posts

To throw a guy out at home to end the game (even though the guy was safe)