Why is no one talking about the MANAGER HIRING DECISION?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

Why is no one talking about the MANAGER HIRING DECISION?

the fist 2 guys they have brought in not only confirm suspicion of "yes man", appears they are going even more in the direction i thought. no one weighty, substantial, with any of their own baseball acumen who insist largely in having thier own input. 

seems they are looking for someone more passive than tito.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

Re: Why is no one talking about the MANAGER HIRING DECISION?

I think it will be DeMarlo. They know him, they respect him, his name has not been mentioned, they know they want to hire him and they know they should hire him. He knows every player in the system and he knows the coaches that haven't been let go.

Like all interviews Ben is getting some good info from these candidates on how other orgs might handle players and personnel issues in addition to getting info about our own players, how they may be viewed elsewhere, who they might try to hire as coaches if candidate x,y,or z is a finalist and who the candidate might think would be a trade target or FA target and their knowledge of the person.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from TitleTown11. Show TitleTown11's posts

While I am not a fan of Mackanin or Sveum to be the manager here...I'm not sure they are yes men. They are just two possible candidates. The one thing that I have taken notice of was Cherington's statement that the Sox haven't asked permission to speak with anyone...yet. Haha
    I am still holding out hope that my manager of choice, Eric Wedge, could still be a real possibility. He knows what this town is like, he is hard nosed, and he has had managerial success. As for anyone who says - he is under contract, we can't have him - I know that. I just think if Henry sent the Mariners a wad of cash that they would be conducting their next managerial search instead of us. I think Wedge is a perfect fit.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoUconn13. Show GoUconn13's posts

Well, right now Boston isnt going to interview a current manager for another MLB team until Boston know what is their compensation deal that they will get from the Cubs.  So that way Boston know what kind of compensation deal that they need to do with another MLB team if they want to hire their manager.

For now, they are probably more likely to interview people that are non-managerial position staffs.  

I think MacKanin have a simular background as Francona.  If you dont like Mackanin, you would probably wouldnt want Tito when he was first interviewed with Boston.  Then we all saw Tito won his WS title as a first year manager, and all of us fell in love with him!!  

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from TitleTown11. Show TitleTown11's posts

Bill James RS existence = no small ball.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from concord27. Show concord27's posts

What a joke going after a easy guy like the ones being discussed.  This team collapsed in a historic way and to not go after someone of real substance and change tells you all you need to go about the management.   Look for a very similar year if they don't make real changes in management.  

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from jackyldo. Show jackyldo's posts

Hard to comment   on the manager  to be   when    we know approximately   3  of  the  6-10  candidates they'll eventually  settle on and interview.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

In Response to Re: Why is no one talking about the MANAGER HIRING DECISION?:
    [QUOTE]I think it will be DeMarlo. They know him, they respect him, his name has not been mentioned, they know they want to hire him and they know they should hire him. He knows every player in the system and he knows the coaches that haven't been let go. Like all interviews Ben is getting some good info from these candidates on how other orgs might handle players and personnel issues in addition to getting info about our own players, how they may be viewed elsewhere, who they might try to hire as coaches if candidate x,y,or z is a finalist and who the candidate might think would be a trade target or FA target and their knowledge of the person.
    Posted by MadMc44[/QUOTE]  GOOD POST......  BEN & LUCKY LUCCIANO's HAVE A GOOD SCRIPT IN HAND AND THIS PROCESS WILL BE AS MUCH  P R  AS IT WILL BE FINDING THE RIGHT MAN/GAL ........ THIS PROCESS WILL PROBABLY RUN ANOTHER 10 DAYS......  IT'S EARLY YET, BUT INTERESTING !!!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

[QUOTE]What's to talk about?  The new guy, whoever he is, shouldn't have many problems with these guys because the Globe and other local media have done much of his job for him.  He will be taking over a team that was the best in the AL for the first five months of 2011 and headed for 100 wins.  Pitching will be a problem, but, georom4 and bosox1941 notwithstanding, the manager cannot by himself fix that.  He needs a lot of help from the GM and maybe an astute pitching coach.  A bold change from Francona, who only helped win two WS and lasted 8 seasons, might not be such a great idea.  Ditto for extra bunting drills and an insistence on "small ball." 
    Posted by maxbialystock[/QUOTE]  GREAT POST !!!  AS DAD WOULD SAY..... "SON, YOUR MAKING MY POINT/POINTS" !!!!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

What's to talk about?  The new guy, whoever he is, shouldn't have many problems with these guys because the Globe and other local media have done much of his job for him.  He will be taking over a team that was the best in the AL for the first five months of 2011 and headed for 100 wins.  Pitching will be a problem, but, georom4 and bosox1941 notwithstanding, the manager cannot by himself fix that.  He needs a lot of help from the GM and maybe an astute pitching coach.  A bold change from Francona, who only helped win two WS and lasted 8 seasons, might not be such a great idea.  Ditto for extra bunting drills and an insistence on "small ball." 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

If they are going to hire another player's manager, they just should have kept Francona. A new face with the same philosophy just breeds more contempt eventually.
    Frankly, as long as the players are allowed to make their own in-game decisions, it really doesn't matter who they hire. Whoever it might be, will be manager in name only.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Soxdog67. Show Soxdog67's posts

It is really interesting how many posters on this board "KNOW" what type of manager the guys the Sox are interviewing apparently better than the Sox front office.

Who the heck cares if the manager has a big name or not?? Personally, I have no interest in seeing a dinosaur type like Torre, Pinella, or anyone of that ilk.

I would like the naysaying posters to explain why Mackanin would not be a good choice...he's got plenty of "baseball" experience, and listening to him speak to the media he kind of reminded me of a Joe Maddon type of manager....and that is really the type of manager the Sox should be looking for.

Regarding Sveum, we all remember him here as 3rd base coach....some probably remember him getting a runner or two thrown out at home and reach the conclusion that he has to be a terrible manager.

I think the guys in the Sox front office will hire the guy THEY think is the best fit not the fan favorite that some here might be lobbying for.

With that said, I still would not mind seeing Tony Pena be given a shot, but I haven't heard his name even listed as a candidate, so what can you do!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mchampion. Show Mchampion's posts

We need a more dynamic manager to get this group going in the right direction.  There is talent but it needs to be blended together with some new pieces and a little different attitude.  I don't know who fits that mode out there but we need to depart from the Tito influence and go in a different direction attitude wise. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

Because it's a fluid market and it's difficult to determine who is and who's not available. My guess is they'll hire someone that buys into the teams phylososhpies one that is well respected baseball man.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from OnDeckCircle. Show OnDeckCircle's posts

It all depends on what Lucchino thinks.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Soxdog67. Show Soxdog67's posts

I'm sorry guys, but I think it is ludicrous to ASSUME that whatever manager the Sox hire will be a front office YES MAN!

Yes, the guy they hire will need to abide by and utilize all the statistical input that Carmine and James spits out...however, line-up decisions and on field management will be the sole propriety of the MANAGER.

To even speculate that Cherington or anyone else is telling the manager how to manage the team is crazy! No manager would want that type of micro-management, especially in Boston where the media and fans scrutanize everything the manager does.

For the record, Francona and Epstein had a strong working relationship and similar ideas on how to run the team...Francona was not a YES MAN...I would like someone to prove otherwise.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from summerof67. Show summerof67's posts

Sveum and Hale may seem to have the inside tracks because they are known entities to  BOS and to us.

But this will be a long, drawn-out process.  I recall that they settled on Tito, and I am glad that they did in retrospect, but a number of capable guys just passed on the job because of...(a) working with Theo; (b) working with Lucchino (c) working with Bill James (d) any combination thereof.

I predict they will come up with someone that none of us predicted, and it will be late in the process.  Just  like last time. We can only hope that the manager we get will be as scuccessful as Tito. 

The choice will be Cherington's signature, I think, and will tell us everything we need to know about the rest of the team and its prospects for the future. 

Another prediction:  Don't expect a WS championship in the new manager's first year, á la Tito.  We lucked out there; lightning in a bottle and all that. Or Jack Daniels before a playoff game.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from sindarin-erebor. Show sindarin-erebor's posts

My take is that whatever the new Manager's style is, he in fact will have to be a total Yes Man....a given. So really, as I have thought about this since Tito left, at the end of the day, the actual importance and impact of the Boston Red Sox Manager's position is very diluted relative to many other teams.

Not sure that Connie Mack could take our current team above third place in the ALE. I see Toronto getting much better and in fact we could very well finish in fourth place in 2012. We are going to need a few years and some significant turnover to compete again.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Soxdog67. Show Soxdog67's posts

[QUOTE]My take is that whatever the new Manager's style is, he in fact will have to be a total Yes Man....a given. So really, as I have thought about this since Tito left, at the end of the day, the actual importance and impact of the Boston Red Sox Manager's position is very diluted relative to many other teams. Not sure that Connie Mack could take our current team above third place in the ALE. I see Toronto getting much better and in fact we could very well finish in fourth place in 2012. We are going to need a few years and some significant turnover to compete again.
    Posted by sindarin-erebor[/QUOTE]

sindarin, what evidence do you have of this??? You are totally speculating that Francona was a YES MAN and I think you are way off-base!

What do the Red Sox do, other than rely on sabermetrics that is different than any other team?? I don't see or understand what you see differently.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from eunichaclub. Show eunichaclub's posts

Give it time guys, this isn't a yankee forum.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from hankwilliams. Show hankwilliams's posts

One of the forumulas for winning is to find a way to motivate a bunch of lazy millionaire union members. Total payroll to obtain talent is useless unless players are committed to being fit and putting in the necessary effort on the fundamentals of the game. What separates the number of teams with plenty of talent is commitment. Mike McCarthy stresses the importance of the fundamentals, behind what appears to be a state of the art offense.

Bean counting can only go so far. Earl Weaver understood capability, circumstance and player character. 

Winning is an atttitude. Because players took authority away from managers, the GM is the most important factor. He must be able to identify the right players to provide leadership, the right fit and roster balance, and rid the clubhouse of members whose actions reveal the wrong attitude towards what team sports are all about.

Bean counting has not impressed me at all. The team lacks leadership. Too many veteran players replaced a winning attitude, displayed with actions, with a roster entitlement frathouse type of attitude.

Very important for management to rid the clubhouse of old hang on players like Wakefield and Varitek. It sends the proper message that all players must be fit and capable of producing in a needed role to warrant a roster spot.

Making up roles to retain veterans is not a professional way to run a team. Ortiz play on the field has earned serious interest on a one year FA contract. Varitek and Wakeifled have not.

The new GM must not have ceremonial roster spots. 

The new manager must be able to motivate and identify the players with winning attitudes in the present. When a competent manager says a player needs to go, bean counters do not need to get in the way.

Bean counting is a lot like bookkeeping, it is very easy to cook the books or compile data in a way that does not reveal the total picture. It is a combination of all factors.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from gbman87603. Show gbman87603's posts

[QUOTE]My take is that whatever the new Manager's style is, he in fact will have to be a total Yes Man....a given. So really, as I have thought about this since Tito left, at the end of the day, the actual importance and impact of the Boston Red Sox Manager's position is very diluted relative to many other teams. Not sure that Connie Mack could take our current team above third place in the ALE. I see Toronto getting much better and in fact we could very well finish in fourth place in 2012. We are going to need a few years and some significant turnover to compete again.

So you think an aspiring manager is going to come into a new situation with the intentions of having no say in any personnel moves? He will knowingly come to the sox with the understanding that his only job is to put a roster up each day? I would seriously doubt that. And to think that’s how it worked with Francona seems a bit ridiculous.  Also, how is it that you think the Blue Jays are going to be getting SO much better that the sox will slip to 4th place? Given that they went .500 last year what players are you thinking are going to push them to be a 90+ win team? Lets not forget that with a month to go the Sox were on pace for a 100 wins and even with playing almost impossibly bad they won 90 games and were percentage points from second place and a wild card spot. So your saying the Sox will win 80 games or less next year? Which is what it will take to be 4th place or worse.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Soxdog67. Show Soxdog67's posts

[QUOTE]It has been widely reported that LL has and will continue to run the Red Sox with an Iron Fist. This of course led to friction between LL and Theo. It has also been reported on numurous occasions that Tito was a player's manager and for the most part a yes man to managent. No I was not in the dugout, the clubhouse, the front office, and yes I am basing by take on numerous articles read, radio shows listened to etc. So proof, no guys, not going to be able to proove it scientifically, but will maintain my opinion based on my perspective. How will the Jays move up in front of the Red Sox? They are an impoving team with Farrell in his second year, they should be fairly active on the FA front in the off-season and again IMO are there to take over our third place. I tire of poster talking about how great we were during May to Aug. Or that we were only a game behind Tampa, or, or or. Bottom line Gentelmen is that for the second straight year we have finished third and have not reached the playoffs. If you somehow really beleive that we will come off the worst implosion ever in the history of baseball, fix all the clubhouse problems to become the biggest "family" ever, to fix all of the starting pitching problems, find the perfect RH RF, maintain perfect health all season (Tough Guy Youk, Bucholz, Beckett), that Carl Crawford will rebound and return to career norms, bolster the bullpen dramatically, replace concievably Big Papi, Paps, instantly perform for a brand new GM, Manager and Coaching Staff then and only then can you realistically hope for a playoff spot. In the absence of one or more of those hopes/issues I maintain that we will again be no better than third place.

sindarin, I agree with gbman here...I think you are letting radio talk shows,and guys like LAW here influence how you perceive the Sox front office runs.

You really should take everything from the media and fans with a grain of salt...any organization that would run in the way you are stating would be doomed for failure...why have Cherington and a Manager at all...let Lucchino do it!!

I tend to listen to what I here the people with vested interest in the situation say:

Lucchino - he himself has stated that he does not get directly involved in baseball decisions...I provide opinions, like Werner and Henry, but the GM makes the decisions.

Cherington - we will hire a manager that can blend a combination of player's manager and leader that will hire a coaching staff to straighten out what happened in September...which by the way, is an extremely easy fix - just ban alcohol from the clubhouse...done deal. This new manager will not be adverse to using statistical information to support his management decisions.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from sindarin-erebor. Show sindarin-erebor's posts

It has been widely reported that LL has and will continue to run the Red Sox with an Iron Fist. This of course led to friction between LL and Theo. It has also been reported on numurous occasions that Tito was a player's manager and for the most part a yes man to managent.

No I was not in the dugout, the clubhouse, the front office, and yes I am basing by take on numerous articles read, radio shows listened to etc. So proof, no guys, not going to be able to proove it scientifically, but will maintain my opinion based on my perspective.

How will the Jays move up in front of the Red Sox? They are an impoving team with Farrell in his second year, they should be fairly active on the FA front in the off-season and again IMO are there to take over our third place.

I tire of poster talking about how great we were during May to Aug. Or that we were only a game behind Tampa, or, or or. Bottom line Gentelmen is that for the second straight year we have finished third and have not reached the playoffs. If you somehow really beleive that we will come off the worst implosion ever in the history of baseball, fix all the clubhouse problems to become the biggest "family" ever, to fix all of the starting pitching problems, find the perfect RH RF, maintain perfect health all season (Tough Guy Youk, Bucholz, Beckett), that Carl Crawford will rebound and return to career norms, bolster the bullpen dramatically, replace concievably Big Papi, Paps, instantly perform for a brand new GM, Manager and Coaching Staff then and only then can you realistically hope for a playoff spot. In the absence of one or more of those hopes/issues I maintain that we will again be no better than third place.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from gbman87603. Show gbman87603's posts

[QUOTE]It has been widely reported that LL has and will continue to run the Red Sox with an Iron Fist. This of course led to friction between LL and Theo. It has also been reported on numurous occasions that Tito was a player's manager and for the most part a yes man to managent. No I was not in the dugout, the clubhouse, the front office, and yes I am basing by take on numerous articles read, radio shows listened to etc. So proof, no guys, not going to be able to proove it scientifically, but will maintain my opinion based on my perspective. How will the Jays move up in front of the Red Sox? They are an impoving team with Farrell in his second year, they should be fairly active on the FA front in the off-season and again IMO are there to take over our third place. I tire of poster talking about how great we were during May to Aug. Or that we were only a game behind Tampa, or, or or. Bottom line Gentelmen is that for the second straight year we have finished third and have not reached the playoffs. If you somehow really beleive that we will come off the worst implosion ever in the history of baseball, fix all the clubhouse problems to become the biggest "family" ever, to fix all of the starting pitching problems, find the perfect RH RF, maintain perfect health all season (Tough Guy Youk, Bucholz, Beckett), that Carl Crawford will rebound and return to career norms, bolster the bullpen dramatically, replace concievably Big Papi, Paps, instantly perform for a brand new GM, Manager and Coaching Staff then and only then can you realistically hope for a playoff spot. In the absence of one or more of those hopes/issues I maintain that we will again be no better than third place.

I still dont see how LL being a stern front office man makes a coach a YES man. A YES man to me means that the manager has no input and only creates a roster on game day...is that what you are saying?

The fact is, the talent that the sox have, even with the collapse, eclipses that of the Blue Jays. And they may be active on the FA market, but so will the sox. The Blue Jays are still rebuilding. It seems like you are having an overraction to how this season ended.