why isnt there a speed guy batting infront of Agon?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from YOU-KILL-US20. Show YOU-KILL-US20's posts

why isnt there a speed guy batting infront of Agon?

wouldnt it suit the lineup better to have els,craw and gonzalez followed by youk pedi and ortiz?

so what if they're 3 lefties in a row, theyre about 2-3 dominant LHP in the AL right now and CC Sabathia isnt one of them. so i'll say only show respect to D.Price

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from fivekatz. Show fivekatz's posts

Re: why isnt there a speed guy batting infront of Agon?

Crawford might fit in the two spot but right now unless they change the rules so he could steal first base there is no point in giving Carl Crawford as many ABs every game as come from the being that far up in the line-up.

Also you have Pedroia and the two spot where he has been tremendously productive from 2008 to present.

A-Gon's pwer numbers in the early going are more about four other things than who is batting in front of him IMO. They are:

The number of LH pitchers the RS have seen so far this season. His average is OK v. LH but his power numbers are lesser.

It is a new league and he is learning the pitchers. It is easier for a pitcher to operate off of scouting reports about a hitter than it is for a hitter to operate on scouting reports about pitchers. Nothing replaces seeing the pitcher's motion and the movement on his pitches.

Another is that pitchers are busting him inside a lot more to tie him up than they did in NL where he played so many games in Petco and they threw him lots of outside pitches to get him to go the other way into the canyon.

And we must keep in mind he is coming off of an abbreviated Spring Training due to his injury recovery.

But IMHO Pedey is great at the 2 spot, a high fastball hitter and a contact guy that doesn't K a lot. Sort of how the unwritten book describes the 2 hole hitter.

As for the number of dominant LH pitchers in the AL, I don't agree and right now neither would the RS. And CC Sabathia is one of those and I would not let the lack of run support he got early cloud his 2.73 ERA and his 8.2K per 9.

Just my takes

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from dustcover. Show dustcover's posts

In Response to why isnt there a speed guy batting infront of Agon?:
    wouldnt it suit the lineup better to have els,craw and gonzalez followed by youk pedi and ortiz? so what if they're 3 lefties in a row, theyre about 2-3 dominant LHP in the AL right now and CC Sabathia isnt one of them. so i'll say only show respect to D.Price
    Posted by YOU-KILL-US20

Notwithstanding Pedroia's success batting 2nd and the lefty-righty philosophy, perhaps the following would fit your thinking.

Pedroia   (R)
    Crawford (L)
    Gonzalez (L)
    Youk      (R)
    Ortiz      (L)
    Lowrie    (S)
    Drew      (L)
    Tek       (S)
    Ellsbury  (L) *

Speed at the 9 hole before Pedroia from the 3rd inning on.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from wherescreamingcomesfrom. Show wherescreamingcomesfrom's posts

In Response to Re: why isnt there a speed guy batting infront of Agon?:
    In Response to why isnt there a speed guy batting infront of Agon? : Notwithstanding Pedroia's success batting 2nd and the lefty-righty philosophy, perhaps the following would fit your thinking. Pedroia   (R) Crawford (L) Gonzalez (L) Youk      (R) Ortiz      (L) Lowrie    (S) Drew      (L) Tek       (S) Ellsbury  (L) * Speed at the 9 hole before Pedroia from the 3rd inning on.
    Posted by dustcover

Allow me to add my voice to those AGAINST MOVING PEDROIA out of the two spot. Like Katz says in a more reasoned and eloquent way you'd be hard pressed to design a better 2 hitter. Besides, it's not like Pedroia runs like Papi or anything.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

There are two problems, so far.

First of all, the two "speed guys" haven't hit consistently.

Second, too many lefty batters in the lineup.

I'd say this team sure makes most lefties look "dominant."

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from devildavid. Show devildavid's posts

Our speed guys currently have OBP's of .209 (Crawford) and .294 (Ellsbury). Until that improves, it doesn't matter who they hit in front of. Makes more sense right now to have Pedey(.404 OBP), Drew(.373 OBP), and Youk(.384 OBP) bat in front of Gonzalez. This way you bunch up some high OBP hitters before Gonzalez and Papi, who are capable of driving them in.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from YOU-KILL-US20. Show YOU-KILL-US20's posts

i just feel like els and craw being good contact hitting guys can get more pitches to hit, because we know a walk or a single turns into a double and early on this season Agon is hitting lots of singles so those can transform into ribbies. i understand the whole leftie rightie philosophy but this is a really good contact hitting team that knows how to work counts. they shouldnt fear anybody or adjust the lineup so much besides the catching situation this early in the season.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from YOU-KILL-US20. Show YOU-KILL-US20's posts

There are two problems, so far. First of all, the two "speed guys" haven't hit consistently. Second, too many lefty batters in the lineup. I'd say this team sure makes most lefties look "dominant."
    Posted by ZILLAGOD

you take a guys confidence away when you put him to bat 8th. i think francona needs to stick with crawford somewhere at the top of the lineup where he has been for the majority of his career.

the yankees do not care who is pitching, i think im the only one that notices that. we need to have that mentality. we need to be agressive with our speed at the top. make things easier for crawford by batting him 2nd infront of agon instead of 8th infront of tek/salt where he basically has to hit a solo shot to drive himself in more times than not.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from YOU-KILL-US20. Show YOU-KILL-US20's posts

Our speed guys currently have OBP's of .209 (Crawford) and .294 (Ellsbury). Until that improves, it doesn't matter who they hit in front of. Makes more sense right now to have Pedey(.404 OBP), Drew(.373 OBP), and Youk(.384 OBP) bat in front of Gonzalez. This way you bunch up some high OBP hitters before Gonzalez and Papi, who are capable of driving them in.
    Posted by devildavid

i totally understand your point but for the long run i believe it should be els craw and gon, we need to put pressure on pitchers like the 03 marlins did with pierre,castillo then cabrera.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from YOU-KILL-US20. Show YOU-KILL-US20's posts

yes we are making most lefties look like randy johnson but i think tito needs to stick with the speedsters at the top and let the meat of the order of agon,youk,pedi,papi drive them in.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from BaseballGM. Show BaseballGM's posts

Ellsbury and Crawford haven't been able to get on base. Until they learn to steal 2nd from the dugout, I don't think your lineup has any merit. Even if they do, Pedoria should never be moved from the #2 spot this year or anytime soon, and Crawford will never, ever, ever be a #3 hitter.

Crawbury was hype. Pedroia needs to stay in the #2 spot, where the former AL MVP has thrived. Crawbury needs to be split to the top and the bottom of the lineup. Right now Crawford is where he should be. If his numbers go back to career averages, he should be moved to leadoff and Ellsbury should be moved back to #9.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

What if both CC and Ells turn things around and BOTH are hitting great? Who goes where GM, or anyone really? Both at the top or split 1 top, 1 bottom? I say both at top..But thats just me..

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from fivekatz. Show fivekatz's posts

What if both CC and Ells turn things around and BOTH are hitting great? Who goes where GM, or anyone really? Both at the top or split 1 top, 1 bottom? I say both at top..But thats just me..
    Posted by southpaw777
    I seriously doubt that Crawford or Ellsbury will radically out perform Pedroia and I am not sure you fix what isn't broken and that is Pedroia in the two spot.

Now if both guys are hitting? One of the two goes down in the order, be it Crawford at 5 or 6 or Ellsbury at 8-9. There is nothing wrong with having balance 1-9. For all the attention that Manny and David drew as the 3-4's in 04, the Rs were such an offensive juggernaut because they had Mueller and Varitek at the bottom of their order (back when Jason was a high 700 OPS switch-hitting catcher).

If the idea is get A-Gon going power wise, it isn't who is hitting in front of him IMHO. And right now Ellsbury seems to be coming around but with the exception of the 2-4 performance on Sunday, CC is mired in a terrible slump. He isn't seeing the ball well at all right now. He isn't getting on and that means he certainly won't be on base in front of Adrian.

Tito as is most often the case is doing it right. In fact if there was a question last night, it was why were Drew and Crawford both even on the line-up card with a tough LH on the mound that they hadn't seen before, aside from setting a MLB record for the highest paid 7-8 hitters in history ($34M)?

Just my take   

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from JB-3. Show JB-3's posts

In Response to Re: why isnt there a speed guy batting infront of Agon? : Tito as is most often the case is doing it right. In fact if there was a question last night, it was why were Drew and Crawford both even on the line-up card with a tough LH on the mound that they hadn't seen before, aside from setting a MLB record for the highest paid 7-8 hitters in history ($34M)? Just my take   
    Posted by fivekatz

It wasn't much of a question considering Britton has been tougher on righties than lefties thus far.  If you don't have a history to go by for your players, then you should use the opponents history (albeit a brief history).  Tito hedged his bet by keeping Drew down in the lineup.  Crawford isn't going to get going by sitting on the bench, so the same reasoning was used for him.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from YOU-KILL-US20. Show YOU-KILL-US20's posts

i think everyone has great idea about this, good discussion guys.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from JB-3. Show JB-3's posts

Sorry, just realized I didn't address the topic at all.  There is a speed guy batting in front of AGon.  Ells is at leadoff.  He has a chance to steal 2nd while Pedroia is up.  Then comes AGon, with a RISP is all goes well (aside from a Pedroia HR).  I don't think you want a big SB threat directly in front of AGon because either AGon needs to give Ells (as an example) a chance to steal, and give up a pitch or 2, or Ells doesn't have time to steal before AGon smacks his single, and Ells only ends up on 3rd instead of scoring.

Sections
Shortcuts