Why it made sense for the Jays...but wouldn't have for the Sox

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from ma6dragon9. Show ma6dragon9's posts

Why it made sense for the Jays...but wouldn't have for the Sox

-The Yankees have finally seen father time catch up to them. They are in financial trouble, and have a roster full of ticking time bombs. Jeter, Arod, Rivera are all at the ends of their respective careers. Texeira is proving to be grossly overpaid. They still have Cano, but alone, he's not nearly enough. Possibly Pineda returns to form, and then they have a pitching staff with 2 guys, 1 who may be opting out very soon.

-The Sox are in total rebuild mode and are a year+ away from being serious contenders.

-Baltimore had almost everything go their way last year: career seasons, remarkable record in 1 run games, benefit of Boston falling apart. They aren't likely to do that well AnD get that lucky all at once again. Ever.

-TB has decent pitching (which may be thinned if they move Shields) and exactly 1 good hitter in Longoria. FA has, again, pilaged them. They'd do well to get 85 wins.

-Now Toronto has gone 'all in', giving up every meaningful prospect but one. They got a guy in Buehrle who will likely pitch 200 innings...but not for the next 3 seasons, at 20mil per, and he is about to get HAMMERED in the AL East. He is a soft pitcher relying on location. He could afford missing against some NL teams, not so in the AL. Reyes is a talented player, no argue. He's also selfish. And has character issues. In that respect, it was a lateral move from Escobar. Josh Johnson can be great. Unfortunately, in his past 5 seasons he's pitched 180+ innings 3 times, and <90 twice. 200+ only once. Welcome to the AL...if healthy, he is an ace. That's a huge, glaring, bold if.

If everything falls into place for the Jays:

-Johnson stays healthy

-Buehrle is pinpoint with his control

-Reyes plays hard, all season

-Morrow, Romero, Rasmus, Lawrie and Drabek ALL reach potential/return to form

-And Encarnacion AND Bautista both continue what they've done...

Then they will likely be serious WS contenders. If one, maybe 2 of those players don't come through, they'll be battling it out with another 4-6 teams, and at what cost? If they DON'T win it all, they've just set themselves back 10 years. Toronto took a shot in a season that they actually could. Soon the Sox and Yankees will be 'repaired' in their own ways. Baltimore will fall back to their median, and TB will continue to churn out talented young players, and continue on their 4th-1st rollercoaster every 3/4 years.

Boston, on the other hand, has recently been burned by exactly ther kinds of contracts toronto just mortgaged their future to get. They are, reportedly, going to exhibit some restraint, and go about the correct way: build through the farm FIRST, and supplement with FA/trades.

It would have been downright foolish to give up that crop of prospects, and pay those absurd contracts for w small window for the Sox. For Toronto? When are they going to have another shot at it? Honestly? It's been 20 years since they were relevent, and that was not going to change any time soon without something as outrageous as this. Good for them...truly. They did what they HAD to do. The Sox don't. And I'm glad they didn't.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

Re: Why it made sense for the Jays...but wouldn't have for the Sox

BUMP

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

BUMP

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from ma6dragon9. Show ma6dragon9's posts

I'm more surprised I haven't gotten my obligatory "stick to the Pats" comments.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

Because the Jays are a better team that just got better. Management is set to sell; that actually may be the only way we get rid of LL and BC.

"A sucker is born every minute":   AA learned that from the RS experience with the Dodgers and the RS learned from AA when he dumped Wells on the Angels.  In a year or two he'll move Buerhle for some teams penant drive. There's no such thing as no trade partners.Why not play new faces can't do much worse; certainly that would be my feeling about the Sox---change the whole group as far as I'm concerned. LOMO would be a breath of fresh air, the Swisheroo, BJ---those three would be a slightly new cast.

Ben is protecting suspects that haven't done anything to prove they should be kept, meanwhile ROME is burning and none of the management team sees the smoke signals. JH when does the For Sale sign go up after the Christmas ticket sales when fans voice their opinions about the poor off season so far--I do realize it's only 11/14/12.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from tom-uk. Show tom-uk's posts

Spoiled Sox fans (post 2004) think being a big market means never having a bridge year or two.  I could not care less if Henry pockets 100s of millions by not taking on big salaried players by trade or FA.

Let the young guys bed in and only make smart long term moves, even if that means having a down year or two.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to tom-uk's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Spoiled Sox fans (post 2004) think being a big market means never having a bridge year or two.  I could not care less if Henry pockets 100s of millions by not taking on big salaried players by trade or FA.

Let the young guys bed in and only make smart long term moves, even if that means having a down year or two.

[/QUOTE]

Agree Tom. This move wouldve been a lot worse for the Sox and Ben was wise to pull back when the Marlins asked for those players.

To expect a team to win the WS every year is unrealistic. This FO changed their direction when they got all caught up in making a big splash and not having some restraint and making the right moves. Sometimes that means no move at all.

Sections
Shortcuts