Why not Dave Martinez or Ryne Sandberg for manager in '13?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from mvpyouk20. Show mvpyouk20's posts

Why not Dave Martinez or Ryne Sandberg for manager in '13?

I like the ideal of Martinez a lot. Learning from one of the best managers in baseball today in Madden. I think he would be a good choice. I also read a lot fo good things on Sandberg. Some say he will be a manager somewhere in the bigs by next year. Which one would you rather have?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from seabeachfred. Show seabeachfred's posts

Re: Why not Dave Martinez or Ryne Sandberg for manager in '13?

In response to mvpyouk20's comment:

I like the ideal of Martinez a lot. Learning from one of the best managers in baseball today in Madden. I think he would be a good choice. I also read a lot fo good things on Sandberg. Some say he will be a manager somewhere in the bigs by next year. Which one would you rather have?

You like the idea?  Guess what?  I do too.  The problem is the front office doesn't like it because they want someone they can control.  Martinez and Sandberg are individuals with minds of their own and Lucchino, a first rate meddler and t hird rate baseball brain, wants someone he can keep an eye on.  He has the perfect foil in FrancoMa, who now looks good even though he cost us three division titles alone when he was managing the team.  Of course, next to BV's implosion this season, much of which was his own doing, more of it was due to his hands being tied, some think that Tito w asn't so bad after all.  I am not one of them, though.

Look at Robin Ventura of the White Sox.  First job and not bad.  Maddon was a trusted aide of Scioscia for years until he got his chance and now he is one of the very best managers in the game.  We need a young  and spirited new guy in that dugout, one who will allowed to pick his own coaches and once he starts to manage get the hell out of his way.

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from seabeachfred. Show seabeachfred's posts

In response to Clamshack1's comment:

Hey Fred, are you also Danny Cater? Why not visit him in LA and coordinate your bashing and trolling?

No, I'm not Danny Cater, just SeaBeachFred.  A basher?  Yes, when bashing is appropriate as it is right now.  Troll?  Afraid not.  I am an an ardent and passionate Red Sox fan.  We have them out here too you know.  Or do you?  And FrancoMa back at the helm is cause to both laugh and cry and maybe scream.  Come up with a better candidate and I will be glad to give you a heads-up.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Leftfielder61. Show Leftfielder61's posts

I like the idea of a Manager from the farm system the young players can embrace- Arnie Beyeler. Dave Martinez is someone I would take a good look at though.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from 56redsox. Show 56redsox's posts

Lou Piniella Any Thoughts.......

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Leftfielder61. Show Leftfielder61's posts

I think Lou Piniella's best days are long past. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

I like Martinez because he trained under Maddon.  Hopefully the posters that judge things based on a couple of games will have some patience with him.  Sandberg or alomar are good choices as well.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

In response to Joebreidey's comment:

I like Martinez because he trained under Maddon.  Hopefully the posters that judge things based on a couple of games will have some patience with him.  Sandberg or alomar are good choices as well.

Right. Like you did with Valentine, eh? Oh wait...you didn't even wait a couple of games.
    For the record though, I admit that you were right: he turned out badly. I have no problem admitting when I was wrong if there is solid evidence to prove it.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

In response to Clamshack1's comment:

Hey Fred, are you also Danny Cater? Why not visit him in LA and coordinate your bashing and trolling?

Shut up Pike, you are soul.  Nobody cares what you think, who you accuse of which nonsense, ad nauseum.  How is your sexless, friendless life workin' for ya?

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

In response to seabeachfred's comment:
    [QUOTE]

You like the idea?  Guess what?  I do too.  The problem is the front office doesn't like it because they want someone they can control.  Martinez and Sandberg are individuals with minds of their own and Lucchino, a first rate meddler and t hird rate baseball brain, wants someone he can keep an eye on.  He has the perfect foil in FrancoMa, who now looks good even though he cost us three division titles alone when he was managing the team.  Of course, next to BV's implosion this season, much of which was his own doing, more of it was due to his hands being tied, some think that Tito w asn't so bad after all.  I am not one of them, though.

Look at Robin Ventura of the White Sox.  First job and not bad.  Maddon was a trusted aide of Scioscia for years until he got his chance and now he is one of the very best managers in the game.  We need a young  and spirited new guy in that dugout, one who will allowed to pick his own coaches and once he starts to manage get the hell out of his way.

[/QUOTE]

re:" The problem is the front office doesn't like it because they want someone they can control.  Martinez and Sandberg are individuals with minds of their own and Lucchino, a first rate meddler and t hird rate baseball brain, wants someone he can keep an eye on.  "

i have been saying this forever, without comment from others here.
    im so glad to see that someone else can see what is as well.
    they had a chance for maddon but took the puppet. now with wnother chance it appears they will blow it again out of compulsiceve need to control

thanks for the post and the thread mvp

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

woops i mean thanks for the psot seabeachfred.
    and teh thread from mvp.
    sorry about the attributions. multitaskiing,

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

In response to pumpsie-green's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to Joebreidey's comment:

Right. Like you did with Valentine, eh? Oh wait...you didn't even wait a couple of games.
    For the record though, I admit that you were right: he turned out badly. I have no problem admitting when I was wrong if there is solid evidence to prove it.

[/QUOTE]

Apparently you are not aware of the differences in their careers.  When someone has shown he has had issues everywhere he's gone, he doesn't get a lot of do-overs in his 60s.  When someone starts in their first gig, I understand that there could be growing issues.

Maybe it's just me, but why hire a guy in his 60s that needs on-the-job-training?

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from seabeachfred. Show seabeachfred's posts

In response to bredbru's comment:

and teh thread from mvp.

You are very welcome bred.  I think a lot of posters now believe what we believe to be true is exactly that.  Lucchino is a nosy meddler who job should be selling the Red Sox to the public and raising money for the team, which he does very well.  He is NOT a baseball savvy man at all and his insistance that he is has thrown a monkey wrench into the team's attempt at regaining their footing.  We need a solid baseball man in charge of the baseball operations part of the team and that man is neither Lucchino or Cherington.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

[QUOTE]

and teh thread from mvp.

You are very welcome bred.  I think a lot of posters now believe what we believe to be true is exactly that.  Lucchino is a nosy meddler who job should be selling the Red Sox to the public and raising money for the team, which he does very well.  He is NOT a baseball savvy man at all and his insistance that he is has thrown a monkey wrench into the team's attempt at regaining their footing.  We need a solid baseball man in charge of the baseball operations part of the team and that man is neither Lucchino or Cherington.

[/QUOTE]

LL has had time to prove himself....or not. Think it's too soon to say the same for Cherrington, fred. Let's see what he's made of this off season. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

I don't like Martinez, I have a bias against him because I remember as a Reds fan, they acquired him from Montreal in 1992, and he was touted as this incredible hitter that would transform the lineup. When he got there he stood up there at the plate like he was perpetually afraid of getting the bat knocked out of his hands. His stance was awful, and his swing lousy. When he finally did swing at the ball, he swatted at it like a girl, and did almost nothing of any consequence all year long. He was one of my least favorite Reds because, like some of the players that have come to Boston, he was supposed to be hot snot on a silver platter, but ended up cold boogers on a paper plate. Pass. Give me Sandburg for my money, besides, I don't like who I have to thank. I've never made it any secret on here that I'm no fan of the Goofy Genius, and don't need his BOI here. If DM comes here and proves me wrong that's fine, but he wouldn't be my first choice.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

So the Conspiracy Theory is that the FO wanted someone they could control, and the answer came up "Bobby Valentine"?  The most egomanical manager MLB has seen in the past 30 years not named LaRussa, and who deseperately longs to be the center of the show? 

They chose Valentine because he is the antihesis of Francona, who was far more subdued, which gives the impression of being easily controlled.  It didn't work.  The problems this year were cetrainly not all Valentines fault, but he should never have been part of the solution.

The Sox will move on.  Martinez was a candidate briefly last year, and might be reconsidered.  I also think the Sox should abandon this whole Farrell thing (why get the only guy in the division doing worse than ours?) and consider Sal Fasano as manager. And if they do get him, they could hire his mustache to be the bench coach...

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

How about Tony Pena? 

He did a great job when he managed the Royals. 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

I do find it amazing that many fans really believe Larry Lucchino knows nothing about baseball.  I am not a fan of his, but the guy has worked as an executive in the field for close to 30 years.  Most of us have our entire exposure limited to wathcing TV and attending the occasional game.

People who suddenly think their opinions are more valid than Lucchino's are not exactly raising the credibility.

Oh, and probably because when Epstein ran the show, Lucchino was actually responsible for all his baseball decisions, at least according to Epstein's detractors.   And according to them, Lucchino, not Epstein deserved credit for the championships.

Credit and blame, two vtal components in RSN...

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

[QUOTE]

and teh thread from mvp.

[/QUOTE]

after i wrote my post
    when i was away form the computer, it occurred to me to post that, though it wont happen, the best thing we could do would be to fire LL and have a real (and top) manager and ditto gm doIng the job of a manger and gm (as opposed to the ownership and upper mgt managing the players and the players managing themselves).

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

FIRST Of all, conspiracy theroy, i think this is comon  knwledge to anyone INSIDE baseball and those with an eye and an ear outside of it (ie fans).

rer LL, its not necessarily that all LL decisions are bad, its jsut a bad baseball model IMo

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

Why not John Valentin as mgr. and Orel Hershiser as pitching coach?