why not have napoli catch

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from udontnojack. Show udontnojack's posts

why not have napoli catch

salty is the worst defensive catcher in the league.plus,he calls a lousy game and isn't hitting either.

he probably cost them the game last night by not moving out enough to stop that throw.that was 2 runs right there

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hammah29r2. Show Hammah29r2's posts

Re: why not have napoli catch

In response to BurritoT-'s comment:
    [QUOTE]

and so a guy that caught zero games this year is going to be flawless and get the most out of our starters?

[/QUOTE]
    well burrito, I look at the op's screen name and it should say idontknowdick. maybe JF will put ross behind the plate to catch peavey sat nite eh? I do think that nava should play left and let drew sit for a game or two. middlebrooks at 3rd is pretty logical. but napoli behind the plate???
    oy!

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Archer1. Show Archer1's posts

Napoli can't catch as he is our first baseman - to state the obvious. But without sounding like the softest of soft ones, Salty's defensive lapses last night directly cost us runs in the 7th and possibly the game. Not being able to even make a throw to third with a lefty at the plate on that double steal is awful. He had a nice pitch to throw on, but fumbled the transfer. Then he lazily tries to reach for the throw from left which subsequently leads to Breslow cluelessly throwing to third and costing another run. If he isn't going to hit - which he has struggled to do save for the game winning single - I'd rather have Ross back there. 

Game 2 Goats

1) Breslow (I don't think he was warm)

2) Salty (terrible defense)

3) Farrell (for not bringing out Breslow to face the first lefty in the seventh after Lackey walked the lead off man. Of course after seeing how Breslow looked it wouldn't have made a difference. The announcers even said that Jay was terrible against lefties and that he essentially did all of his production against righties, but Farrell was afraid to anger Big John and he left him in there unfortunately. )

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoUconn13. Show GoUconn13's posts

In response to Archer1's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Napoli can't catch as he is our first baseman - to state the obvious. But without sounding like the softest of soft ones, Salty's defensive lapses last night directly cost us runs in the 7th and possibly the game. Not being able to even make a throw to third with a lefty at the plate on that double steal is awful. He had a nice pitch to throw on, but fumbled the transfer. Then he lazily tries to reach for the throw from left which subsequently leads to Breslow cluelessly throwing to third and costing another run. If he isn't going to hit - which he has struggled to do save for the game winning single - I'd rather have Ross back there. 

Game 2 Goats

3) Farrell (for not bringing out Breslow to face the first lefty in the seventh after Lackey walked the lead off man. Of course after seeing how Breslow looked it wouldn't have made a difference. The announcers even said that Jay was terrible against lefties and that he essentially did all of his production against righties, but Farrell was afraid to anger Big John and he left him in there unfortunately. )

[/QUOTE]

#3 or Farrell should have left Lackey to try to get out of the jam himself instead Breslow walking the first batter he faced.  

We can continue debating on whether Lackey stays or bring in Breslow to face a lefty right after the first out.

But you re right that the better choice is to bring in Breslow to face Jay (whatever is his name).  

Still the biggest problem so far is the bottom of the line up.   They are so horrible.  I wouldnt be surprise that Middlebrook and Ross are back in the lineup for game #3.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Archer1. Show Archer1's posts

In response to GoUconn13's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Game 2 Goats

[/QUOTE]

#3 or Farrell should have left Lackey to try to get out of the jam himself instead Breslow walking the first batter he faced.  

We can continue debating on whether Lackey stays or bring in Breslow to face a lefty right after the first out.

But you re right that the better choice is to bring in Breslow to face Jay (whatever is his name).  

Still the biggest problem so far is the bottom of the line up.   They are so horrible.  I wouldnt be surprise that Middlebrook and Ross are back in the lineup for game #3.

[/QUOTE]

Well Farrell did leave him in and we saw how it ended. It made all the sense in the world to come with Breslow there. Jon Jay can't hit lefties, Daniel Descalso can't hit period, Carpenter is a lefty, and Beltran is much worse from the right side. Lackey had nothing else to prove in that game. He held the Cards at bay for 6 strong innings and was nearing a hundred pitches. Farrell could have nipped the bud before it blossomed for the Cardinals by pulling him right after the lead off walk. Also, a lefty on the mound can control the running game better, too. It's all so speculative given that you don't know how the inning would have unfolded differently - I just know that I was talking to my TV screen saying "Breslow" time after the walk. 

Of course, I acknowledged that Breslow struggled with command right about of the gate and didn't look like himself. I'm guessing on a cold night and rushing to get warm that he wasn't completely loose once he got on the mound. Come to think about it - maybe he didn't come in for Lackey to face Jay because he wasn't ready. But then Nieves/Salty should have bought him time with a mound visit. Ahhh the speculation!

As for the bottom of the lineup - Drew is a black hole, but his defense has been terrific. I still like Bogaerts' plate approach over Middlebrooks'. Though maybe what this team needs is a good ol' fashioned first pitch swinger in the lineup like Middlebrooks. I would go with Ells/Vic/Ped/Ortiz/Nap/Nava/Bog/Drew/Ross.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from seannybboi. Show seannybboi's posts

Why not have Papi catch behind the plate when we visit NL park?  oh dang... he's lefty.. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from fizsh. Show fizsh's posts

Napoli was asked by the XM baseball crew before the game last night if they might see him catch at the NL park.  He said no way, my catching days are over.

Also before Game 1 on the XM pre-game show, Farrell hinted that Nava would play some in St. Loius.  He said it was a bigger OF there and that Nava will be able to help the team.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

They should have had Naps catch a few innings here and there over the season.

At this point, I would not risk it.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from antiqueman1. Show antiqueman1's posts

Not a good idea for all the obvious reasons. But he may have to play 1st over big Papi in this 3 game stretch. Which would really change the lineup for sure. Let's hope Peavy does his job then the batters can do theirs.......

12. This post has been removed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hammah29r2. Show Hammah29r2's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]
    well moon, wasn't it JF's idea from the first day of spring trainning to put naps at 1st base to keep his bad hip stable. I think that's the main reason he's remained pretty healthy to date due to his not having to squat up and down behind the plate. Ross will be da man at st louie.
    me thinks that nava in left, ross behind the dish and papi playing 1st atleast this sat nite is key. we gotta take the first one in their park. peavey will be jacked and center stage. agreed?

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to Hammah29r2's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to moonslav59's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]
    well moon, wasn't it JF's idea from the first day of spring trainning to put naps at 1st base to keep his bad hip stable. I think that's the main reason he's remained pretty healthy to date due to his not having to squat up and down behind the plate. Ross will be da man at st louie.
    me thinks that nava in left, ross behind the dish and papi playing 1st atleast this sat nite is key. we gotta take the first one in their park. peavey will be jacked and center stage. agreed?

[/QUOTE]

He should not catch unless there's an emergency, but since he is a FA after this year, I'm not sure the longterm health of his hip will be the top priority. We've seen the Sox risk injury with players in their last contract year before.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

In response to udontnojack's comment:
    [QUOTE]

salty is the worst defensive catcher in the league.plus,he calls a lousy game and isn't hitting either.

he probably cost them the game last night by not moving out enough to stop that throw.that was 2 runs right there

[/QUOTE]

Terrible idea for all the other reasons stated above.  Plus Salty did not cost the game last night--the pitching did.   If he catches the throw from Gomes, the game is still tied because the throw was off to the wrong side.  Plus a man still on 2B.  The next batter we already know singled off Breslow which would have driven in the go ahead run. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from donrd4. Show donrd4's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

You said it !!!! udontnojack.... is so true.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from jozee76. Show jozee76's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Honest to god, "Salty" os sooooooooo embarrassing it is no longer funny! (PS, it NEVER WAS funny!)

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from jozee76. Show jozee76's posts

In response to donrd4's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

The truth is, if the idiot would have, or could have caught the ball on the double steal, he very well might have thrown the guy out at third. Looking at the reply, the runner wasn't even at the cut of the infield when "Salty" muffed it! Also assuming he didn't throw it into the stands or into left field!

You said it !!!! udontnojack.... is so true.

[/QUOTE]

19. This post has been removed.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from 2013soxchamps. Show 2013soxchamps's posts

naps ain't catching no way no how

21. This post has been removed.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Archer1. Show Archer1's posts

In response to maxbialystock's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Terrible idea for all the other reasons stated above.  Plus Salty did not cost the game last night--the pitching did.   If he catches the throw from Gomes, the game is still tied because the throw was off to the wrong side.  Plus a man still on 2B.  The next batter we already know singled off Breslow which would have driven in the go ahead run. 

[/QUOTE]

He didn't do anything to prevent that double steal with a lefty at the plate and a clear throwing path. That could have been a runner on second with one out as oopposed to second and third, no out. 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

He didn't do anything to prevent that double steal with a lefty at the plate and a clear throwing path. That could have been a runner on second with one out as oopposed to second and third, no out. 

[/QUOTE]

He didn't attempt a throw bacause he didn't get a clean transer from his glove to his throwing hand.

It's not like he just stood there and watched.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Honest to god, "Salty" os sooooooooo embarrassing it is no longer funny! (PS, it NEVER WAS funny!)

You are the joke, not Salty.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hammah29r2. Show Hammah29r2's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]
    shouldn't have gotten that far max. that guy that got the base on balls from lack should have been called strike 3. that blueboob had been calling strikes all night 3 inches outside either direction. this one was on the black.

Sections
Shortcuts