why Not Linares?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from snakeoil123. Show snakeoil123's posts

why Not Linares?

Other than the obvious L/R issue why is he below Nava on the depth chart. He is a good fielder who can field all three positions, and hit with power and for average.

He has produced everywhere he has played.  What is the issue?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Re: why Not Linares?

I think its a matter of nava being a good LHH who can platoon with Gomes. Same goes for sweeny. except sweeny has great defense. It depends on a clubs needs.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from snakeoil123. Show snakeoil123's posts

In response to southpaw777's comment:

I think its a matter of nava being a good LHH who can platoon with Gomes. Same goes for sweeny. except sweeny has great defense.

I guess my point is Linares has great defense and can probably put up similar numbers to Gomes.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from garyhow. Show garyhow's posts

In response to snakeoil123's comment:

Other than the obvious L/R issue why is he below Nava on the depth chart. He is a good fielder who can field all three positions, and hit with power and for average.

Must prove he can stay healthy! 3 seasons played in 144 games, he can hit and at age 28 should be a entering his prime. But injuries have prevented him from getting the AB's he needs to prove he can do it at mlb level. If he stays healthy and produces at AAA, good chance we will see him this year.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I have always liked Linares, but he does not have to be on the 40 man to be protected, so I think he will have to get in line.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

I think its a matter of nava being a good LHH who can platoon with Gomes. Same goes for sweeny. except sweeny has great defense.

I guess my point is Linares has great defense and can probably put up similar numbers to Gomes.

yeah, but gomes is signed for 2/10 and Linares hasnt proved he can do anything in MLB. I dont think the sox are going to open up a spot on the 40-man for a "tryout" at this point.

Im not saying he would do good or bad, just the fact that they need a LHH because theyve already decided that Gomes is their main LF'er. If there is an injury, he could get the call.

Ive only seen JCL play live a couple times, but I havent heard anyone describe his defense as "great"...

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to garyhow's comment:

Must prove he can stay healthy! 3 seasons played in 144 games, he can hit and at age 28 should be a entering his prime. But injuries have prevented him from getting the AB's he needs to prove he can do it at mlb level. If he stays healthy and produces at AAA, good chance we will see him this year.

.874 OPS in AA and AAA last year was pretty nice. He also did very well in ST a couple years back.

He's a plus fielder. He's 28.

When are these guys ever "ready" to you?

Only when Ben says so?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from snakeoil123. Show snakeoil123's posts

yeah, but gomes is signed for 2/10 and Linares hasnt proved he can do anything in MLB. I dont think the sox are going to open up a spot on the 40-man for a "tryout" at this point.

Im not saying he would do good or bad, just the fact that they need a LHH because theyve already decided that Gomes is their main LF'er. If there is an injury, he could get the call.

Ive only seen JCL play live a couple times, but I havent heard anyone describe his defense as "great"...

Sox prospects calls his defense "advanced"  any scouting report that one reads on him says he is above average.  I used hypebole with the word "great". 

the point of my thread was not that they should open up the roster for a "tryout" the point was more why they seem to value him so lowly. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Sox prospects calls his defense "advanced"  any scouting report that one reads on him says he is above average.  I used hypebole with the word "great". 

the point of my thread was not that they should open up the roster for a "tryout" the point was more why they seem to value him so lowly. 

We don't really know how "lowly" they value him. It could simply be about roster space and how much they value others on the 40 man roster. Some players on the 40 man roster might be "valued" less than Linares, but are there becuase the offer insurance to the 25 man roster, or they have upside potential and need to be on the 40 man roster or DFA'd.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

I agree with you about why they have handled him the way they have. Maybe a couple injuries hes had? not sure.

From what Ive seen, hes good. I guess it depends on who they value more and their needs.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from garyhow. Show garyhow's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:

.874 OPS in AA and AAA last year was pretty nice. He also did very well in ST a couple years back.

Only when Ben says so?

Probably same reason JBJ will start year in minors 138 games played in minors. Every once in a while a Bryce Harper comes along, but as far as Linares is concerned need to see alot more than than the 110 games played last year between AA/AAA [only 17 games in both 10 & 11 seasons] to prove to me he's ready. Like I said above if he stays healthy and produces at AAA this year good chance we will see him this year @ Fenway. If he doesn't do it this year good chance he'll never do it in a RS uniform, 29 getting a little old for a prospect.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from tomnev. Show tomnev's posts

I would not have been surprised that Linares didnt make the team, but I do not understand why you would send him to the ML camp so soon.....with Ortiz injury, he is a good DH candidate, with Overbay and Sweeney both having dates where they can walk away if they will not be on the team, he is a candidate for OF and bench depth, because unlike JBJ, at 28 he really doenst have any more development to do....he is either MLB ready or he isnt....wouldnt you want to continue to see him get more AB's vs MLB pitching in ST to know what you have or dont have?

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Only when Ben says so?

Probably same reason JBJ will start year in minors 138 games played in minors. Every once in a while a Bryce Harper comes along, but as far as Linares is concerned need to see alot more than than the 110 games played last year between AA/AAA [only 17 games in both 10 & 11 seasons] to prove to me he's ready. Like I said above if he stays healthy and produces at AAA this year good chance we will see him this year @ Fenway. If he doesn't do it this year good chance he'll never do it in a RS uniform, 29 getting a little old for a prospect.

He did play 3 years in Cuba and had a .900+ OPS each year. 

He still has options and years of control left. I think he may get 2 years to make it to the bigs with the Sox.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to tomnev's comment:

I would not have been surprised that Linares didnt make the team, but I do not understand why you would send him to the ML camp so soon.....with Ortiz injury, he is a good DH candidate, with Overbay and Sweeney both having dates where they can walk away if they will not be on the team, he is a candidate for OF and bench depth, because unlike JBJ, at 28 he really doenst have any more development to do....he is either MLB ready or he isnt....wouldnt you want to continue to see him get more AB's vs MLB pitching in ST to know what you have or dont have?

He was invited to ST 2 years ago as well. I think management views him as close to ML ready, but his injuries have kept him back.

15. This post has been removed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from garyhow. Show garyhow's posts

Only when Ben says so?

He still has options and years of control left. I think he may get 2 years to make it to the bigs with the Sox.

Personally think he has what it takes, but must stay healthy and produce again this year otherwise too many guys may pass him by. Brentz, Jacobs, Hassan, Hazelbaker [not even counting Kalish if he ever gets healthy] are all possibilities depending on the type of year each has. IMO if JBJ continues what he's doing, 1st one up, if Linares produces he might be next up though. We always seem to go 5-6 deep in OF every year, so he's right there. Its a big year for him IMO.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Only when Ben says so?

Personally think he has what it takes, but must stay healthy and produce again this year otherwise too many guys may pass him by. Brentz, Jacobs, Hassan, Hazelbaker [not even counting Kalish if he ever gets healthy] are all possibilities depending on the type of year each has. IMO if JBJ continues what he's doing, 1st one up, if Linares produces he might be next up though. We always seem to go 5-6 deep in OF every year, so he's right there. Its a big year for him IMO.

I wonder how much of it is the 40 man roster crunch issue. If he was on the 40 man, he might have been called up last year for a look-see.

Last year, we had 16 players play at least 4 innings in the OF. I'm pretty sure Ben thought Linares was better than Repko, Lin, Lillibridge, Anderson and Spears who combined for over 115 innings last year. Then there were...

Byrd  256

DMac 215

and AGon (127) playing out of position.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from BMav. Show BMav's posts

He is a corner OF with 34 walks in 582 minor league plate appearences and a .839 OPS while being very old for the leagues. He is a good number 6-7 OF.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from snakeoil123. Show snakeoil123's posts

In response to BMav's comment:

He is a corner OF with 34 walks in 582 minor league plate appearences and a .839 OPS while be very old for the leagues. He is a good number 6-7 OF.

He plays a really good centerfield actually.

20. This post has been removed.

21. This post has been removed.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from snakeoil123. Show snakeoil123's posts

In response to softlaw2's comment:

Folks, centefield actually is located bewteen centefield and left field.

Relax. Take your time. None of this is worth getting that excited about.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

This is a very good thread. Thanks for starting it snakeoil. My opinion is that the torn ligaments he suffered in his ankle his first year in the Sox system has hurt his stock significantly. That being said I was shocked he was cut so quickly this spring. I'm a charter member of the JC Linares fan club along with moonslav and jimedfred and would really like to see him get a shot at the big club sooner rather than later. If Ben doesn't give him the shot, I think he'll regret it later as I think Linares will be a very productive outfielder in the major leagues.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from BMav. Show BMav's posts

In response to BMav's comment:

He is a corner OF with 34 walks in 582 minor league plate appearences and a .839 OPS while be very old for the leagues. He is a good number 6-7 OF.

He plays a really good centerfield actually.

Sorry, not buying it. First, when I saw him this spring he looked like a backup catcher. Round. Second, he has played twice as much in RF then center. Thirdly, he has a 1.82 RF in center. Small sample, but 1.82? Finally, "really good centerfield" is a major skill set. He would not have been treated like he has if that were the case.

Can he play cf? Probably. That is as far as I am willing to go based on the things I have seen.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I haven't laughed so hard in days!