why Not Linares?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from snakeoil123. Show snakeoil123's posts

Re: why Not Linares?

In response to BMav's comment:

In response to snakeoil123's comment:

He is a corner OF with 34 walks in 582 minor league plate appearences and a .839 OPS while be very old for the leagues. He is a good number 6-7 OF.

He plays a really good centerfield actually.

Sorry, not buying it. First, when I saw him this spring he looked like a backup catcher. Round. Second, he has played twice as much in RF then center. Thirdly, he has a 1.82 RF in center. Small sample, but 1.82? Finally, "really good centerfield" is a major skill set. He would not have been treated like he has if that were the case.

Can he play cf? Probably. That is as far as I am willing to go based on the things I have seen.

"advanced defensive centerfielder with above average range" http://www.soxprospects.com/players/linares-juan.htm

You say he is a corner ofer. Sox prospects says he is a good defensive centerfielder.

I am gonna go with them.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from snakeoil123. Show snakeoil123's posts

Ive also seen him play a ton of CF in Portland. He plays a good centerfield. He is known as a good defensive centerfielder.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from BMav. Show BMav's posts

He is a corner OF with 34 walks in 582 minor league plate appearences and a .839 OPS while be very old for the leagues. He is a good number 6-7 OF.

Sorry, not buying it. First, when I saw him this spring he looked like a backup catcher. Round. Second, he has played twice as much in RF then center. Thirdly, he has a 1.82 RF in center. Small sample, but 1.82? Finally, "really good centerfield" is a major skill set. He would not have been treated like he has if that were the case.

Can he play cf? Probably. That is as far as I am willing to go based on the things I have seen.

"advanced defensive centerfielder with above average range" http://www.soxprospects.com/players/linares-juan.htm

You say he is a corner ofer. Sox prospects says he is a good defensive centerfielder.

I am gonna go with them.

The Red Sox have played him 56% of the time in RF and just 27% of the time in CF. I am gonna go with them.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from snakeoil123. Show snakeoil123's posts

I am gonna go with them.

The Red Sox have played him 56% of the time in RF and just 27% of the time in CF. I am gonna go with them.

All right. We established that the Red sox play him in CF and just a bit ago you didn't know that.

That's pretty much what I was trying to let you know when I said he played a good centerfield and you thought he was just a corner outfielder.

The Red sox play him 27 percent in center and scouting reports and my own eyes say he plays a good centerfield.

Glad we took care of that.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

We were having so much fun...

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

In response to selenium-'s comment:

In recent days Moonslav said that according to many that Ellsbury gets a poor jump and has a bad path to the fly balls. What Moonslav forgot to mention is that "MANY" was only HIM. How can someone who watches TV determine those flaws? Is the camera on Ellsbury at every crack of the bat?  Moonslav is the cerebral Softlaw.

Actually I believe I've mentioned that too. I've also brought up Ellsbury's spaghetti arm on more than one occasion. But thanks for enlightening us poor ignorant T-Ballers pike.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In recent days Moonslav said that according to many that Ellsbury gets a poor jump and has a bad path to the fly balls. What Moonslav forgot to mention is that "MANY" was only HIM. How can someone who watches TV determine those flaws? Is the camera on Ellsbury at every crack of the bat?  Moonslav is the cerebral Softlaw.

I see many Sox games live, including on the road.

As for watching on TV, many times the CF'er is in view of the TV audience at the crack of the bat. If you actually watched the games and replays, you might notice a few flaws in our team. Afterall, a team that wins only 69 games probably has some weak links here and there, but I guess sticking your head in the sand makes you a better fan than I.

If the live feed is not on the CF'er when a ball is hit that way, they often show the replay that shows the CF'er at the crack of the bat. Watch closely this year, and then you can get back to me. (Also, notice how deep he plays, and how many balls fall in front of him as a result.)

BTW, there are quite a few posters on this site who have agreed that Ellsbury has some slow breaks and poor routes to the ball, so "many" is not one.

Thanks again for your many baseball posts. You are a real plus to this site. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedsoxProspects. Show RedsoxProspects's posts

In response to ConanObrien's comment:

In response to softlaw2's comment:

Folks, centefield actually is located bewteen centefield and left field.

U are in left field.

Naw, Softlaw is OUT OF HERE!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedsoxProspects. Show RedsoxProspects's posts

Give it a few minutes. You will see!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

boom, you are a bif Ellsbury fan. We spent hours and hours battling softy over his skill set since 2008. Tell Pike here about your opinion of Jacoby's ability to get good/bad breaks on balls and taking the proper route to track down balls hit to his area.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedsoxProspects. Show RedsoxProspects's posts

I vaguely remember Nava hitting like .364 in AA ball, as compared to Linare's .333 or so (whatever it was ). Linares is a better fielder with more pop. If he were a left handed hitter I'd probably slot him above Nava, this year. But he has options and he's a right handed hitter. Unfortunately for him he is probably deep farm depth as an OF. Or a trade option. But heh, it's better than making $10 a month in Cuba.

http://firebrandal.com/2013/03/12/in-praise-of-juan-carlos-linares/

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

Other than the obvious L/R issue why is he below Nava on the depth chart. He is a good fielder who can field all three positions, and hit with power and for average.

He has produced everywhere he has played.  What is the issue?

You don't know how many times I have wondered the same snakeoil.  Linares, outside of a few injuries has earned as much a shot or more than Nava.  Is it a personal issue?  Injuries?  Not sure but at some point he deserves a shot.

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxdirtdog. Show redsoxdirtdog's posts

In response to carnie's comment:

Actually I believe I've mentioned that too. I've also brought up Ellsbury's spaghetti arm on more than one occasion. But thanks for enlightening us poor ignorant T-Ballers pike.

RSN knows that Ellsbury has a bad arm. You can see that very easily by watching TV. However TV does not have a camera on Jacoby at the crack of the bat on every pitch, so anyone who claims that he gets a poor jump or has a bad path to the ball is just BSing you. Even a fan at the game does not watch every fielder at the crack of the bat.

BLASPHEMER!!!  How can you keep knocking Ells for his weak arm!  You clearly have ulterior motives!  No REAL RS fan would ever honestly critique a player for the RS!  You charlatan!!!  Grab the pitchforks folks!  Time for the tar & feathers!!! 

Your voting rights have been revoked by RSN! 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from ampoule. Show ampoule's posts

Actually, playing professional baseball is similar to any large corporate structure....so, if he pizzed someone off somewhere along the line, it potentially sealed his fate.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

Other than the obvious L/R issue why is he below Nava on the depth chart. He is a good fielder who can field all three positions, and hit with power and for average.

He has produced everywhere he has played.  What is the issue?

It does seems odd he's never been given a chance, but how much of his production has been in age-appropriate leagues?

17. This post has been removed.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Linares was sent packing.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from snakeoil123. Show snakeoil123's posts

http://www.rantsports.com/mlb/2013/03/12/boston-red-sox-j-c-linares-impressive-in-camp-still-gets-cut/

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

http://www.rantsports.com/mlb/2013/03/12/boston-red-sox-j-c-linares-impressive-in-camp-still-gets-cut/

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:

I have always liked Linares, but he does not have to be on the 40 man to be protected, so I think he will have to get in line.

He is 28. He is better than Nava AND Sweeney. He should be on the ML roster this year.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

and me....FACT: he did get bad breaks on balls, but has gotten better at it. He was able to make up for his bad breaks with his great speed and athleticism...It is what it is...Sorry if the truth hurts. were not bashing him, just stating the truth...

Hes one of the better CF'ers in the game IMO, but at least me, carnie and Moon can give a player constructive criticism without bashing him...This IS possible you know...

Your retourt about not seeing his bad breaks is a weak and empty attempt to constantly argue with someone that says anything remotely negative about a sox player...Sorry pal, but none of us in this world are perfect. Including you...have a greta day champ...

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

As for watching on TV, many times the CF'er is in view of the TV audience at the crack of the bat. If you actually watched the games and replays, you might notice a few flaws in our team. Afterall, a team that wins only 69 games probably has some weak links here and there, but I guess sticking your head in the sand makes you a better fan than I.

If the live feed is not on the CF'er when a ball is hit that way, they often show the replay that shows the CF'er at the crack of the bat. Watch closely this year, and then you can get back to me. (Also, notice how deep he plays, and how many balls fall in front of him as a result.)

BTW, there are quite a few posters on this site who have agreed that Ellsbury has some slow breaks and poor routes to the ball, so "many" is not one.

Your criticism on Ellbury's defensive skills wasn't the subject of many threads in the forum prior to last year  so I don't see your point in assessing blame to him for ehe 2012 team.

On TV at the crack of the bat, the camera is focused on the batter and not centerfield. It takes the camera crew a second or two to decide where the ball was hit to  and by that time the viewer cannot determine the jump whether good or bad. You need a scout there at the ballpark whose eyes are glued on CF to assess jump.

There are several cameras and replays sometimes show it, besides being live and in person...Again, your arguement is weak...

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to southpaw777's comment:

Your criticism on Ellbury's defensive skills wasn't the subject of many threads in the forum prior to last year  so I don't see your point in assessing blame to him for ehe 2012 team.

On TV at the crack of the bat, the camera is focused on the batter and not centerfield. It takes the camera crew a second or two to decide where the ball was hit to  and by that time the viewer cannot determine the jump whether good or bad. You need a scout there at the ballpark whose eyes are glued on CF to assess jump.

There are several cameras and replays sometimes show it, besides being live and in person...Again, your arguement is weak...

Replays don't show the jump for the same reasons. How does a cameraman know at the instant of contact where the ball is headed to? There would have to have cameras trained on each of the fielders on every pitch in order to see the outfielder's reaction at the crack of the bat.  When I watch TV, I see the view of the batter making contact and by the time that they focus on the specific fielder, he has already taken twenty steps in pursuit of the ball. You don't see the jump and you only see part of the path to the ball.

Listen, the point of all this is that even if the critcism is constructive you cant stand it. Ive seen games with my own eyes where he gets bad or late breaks. Scouting reports have said this. I was even at ST games where Ive seen him get bad breaks. Thats not to say hes no good. get a grip, will ya. No wonder why nobody here likes you.

and yes, cameramen do focus on one area of the field so the director in the truck is covered no matter where the ball goes. They might not use his shot, but its available. Thats where all those replay views come from...Obviously you have no idea about the production that goes into filming a game, so please dont speak on something you have no idea about and act like you do. They have a word for that. Its called ignorance.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

Sorry to those in the Linares Should Be on the 25 Man Roster! camp.

You can always take solace in the fact that, even though you claim he is better than Nava or Sweeney, you really have no idea.  I mean, even those of us that have checked out a camp live or kicked back a few peanuts and crackerjacks in Pawtucket or Portland cannot claim to have seen remotely enough of him to make that claim with any sense of authority.  

Sections
Shortcuts