why Not Linares?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Re: why Not Linares?

In response to selenium-'s comment:

In response to moonslav59's comment:

In recent days Moonslav said that according to many that Ellsbury gets a poor jump and has a bad path to the fly balls. What Moonslav forgot to mention is that "MANY" was only HIM. How can someone who watches TV determine those flaws? Is the camera on Ellsbury at every crack of the bat?  Moonslav is the cerebral Softlaw.

I see many Sox games live, including on the road.

As for watching on TV, many times the CF'er is in view of the TV audience at the crack of the bat. If you actually watched the games and replays, you might notice a few flaws in our team. Afterall, a team that wins only 69 games probably has some weak links here and there, but I guess sticking your head in the sand makes you a better fan than I.

If the live feed is not on the CF'er when a ball is hit that way, they often show the replay that shows the CF'er at the crack of the bat. Watch closely this year, and then you can get back to me. (Also, notice how deep he plays, and how many balls fall in front of him as a result.)

BTW, there are quite a few posters on this site who have agreed that Ellsbury has some slow breaks and poor routes to the ball, so "many" is not one.

Thanks again for your many baseball posts. You are a real plus to this site. 

Your criticism on Ellbury's defensive skills wasn't the subject of many threads in the forum prior to last year  so I don't see your point in assessing blame to him for ehe 2012 team.

On TV at the crack of the bat, the camera is focused on the batter and not centerfield. It takes the camera crew a second or two to decide where the ball was hit to  and by that time the viewer cannot determine the jump whether good or bad. You need a scout there at the ballpark whose eyes are glued on CF to assess jump.

There are several cameras and replays sometimes show it, besides being live and in person...Again, your arguement is weak...

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to southpaw777's comment:

In recent days Moonslav said that according to many that Ellsbury gets a poor jump and has a bad path to the fly balls. What Moonslav forgot to mention is that "MANY" was only HIM. How can someone who watches TV determine those flaws? Is the camera on Ellsbury at every crack of the bat?  Moonslav is the cerebral Softlaw.

As for watching on TV, many times the CF'er is in view of the TV audience at the crack of the bat. If you actually watched the games and replays, you might notice a few flaws in our team. Afterall, a team that wins only 69 games probably has some weak links here and there, but I guess sticking your head in the sand makes you a better fan than I.

If the live feed is not on the CF'er when a ball is hit that way, they often show the replay that shows the CF'er at the crack of the bat. Watch closely this year, and then you can get back to me. (Also, notice how deep he plays, and how many balls fall in front of him as a result.)

BTW, there are quite a few posters on this site who have agreed that Ellsbury has some slow breaks and poor routes to the ball, so "many" is not one.

Your criticism on Ellbury's defensive skills wasn't the subject of many threads in the forum prior to last year  so I don't see your point in assessing blame to him for ehe 2012 team.

On TV at the crack of the bat, the camera is focused on the batter and not centerfield. It takes the camera crew a second or two to decide where the ball was hit to  and by that time the viewer cannot determine the jump whether good or bad. You need a scout there at the ballpark whose eyes are glued on CF to assess jump.

There are several cameras and replays sometimes show it, besides being live and in person...Again, your arguement is weak...

Replays don't show the jump for the same reasons. How does a cameraman know at the instant of contact where the ball is headed to? There would have to have cameras trained on each of the fielders on every pitch in order to see the outfielder's reaction at the crack of the bat.  When I watch TV, I see the view of the batter making contact and by the time that they focus on the specific fielder, he has already taken twenty steps in pursuit of the ball. You don't see the jump and you only see part of the path to the ball.

Listen, the point of all this is that even if the critcism is constructive you cant stand it. Ive seen games with my own eyes where he gets bad or late breaks. Scouting reports have said this. I was even at ST games where Ive seen him get bad breaks. Thats not to say hes no good. get a grip, will ya. No wonder why nobody here likes you.

and yes, cameramen do focus on one area of the field so the director in the truck is covered no matter where the ball goes. They might not use his shot, but its available. Thats where all those replay views come from...Obviously you have no idea about the production that goes into filming a game, so please dont speak on something you have no idea about and act like you do. They have a word for that. Its called ignorance.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

Sorry to those in the Linares Should Be on the 25 Man Roster! camp.

You can always take solace in the fact that, even though you claim he is better than Nava or Sweeney, you really have no idea.  I mean, even those of us that have checked out a camp live or kicked back a few peanuts and crackerjacks in Pawtucket or Portland cannot claim to have seen remotely enough of him to make that claim with any sense of authority.  

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from snakeoil123. Show snakeoil123's posts

In response to SpacemanEephus' comment:

You can always take solace in the fact that, even though you claim he is better than Nava or Sweeney, you really have no idea.  I mean, even those of us that have checked out a camp live or kicked back a few peanuts and crackerjacks in Pawtucket or Portland cannot claim to have seen remotely enough of him to make that claim with any sense of authority.  

Well yeah.  but this board wouldnt exist if people only commented on things they knew to be factual.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

In response to snakeoil123's comment:

In response to SpacemanEephus' comment:

Well yeah.  but this board wouldnt exist if people only commented on things they knew to be factual.

Point taken Snake.

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from jimedfred. Show jimedfred's posts

In response to softlaw2's comment:

The point of this thread was that Linares is a great fielder who hits for power and average, but why is he still playing minor league baseball against guys 10 years younger.

Does anyone see any facts in the above point?

Because he's only been in the Sox system since 2010, and untimely injuries have limited him to 144 total games over 3 seasons. His AAA slash liine of .282 / .312 / .485 suggests he CAN hit, but 11 walks to 48 strikeouts doesn't bode well for pitch selectivity.

The FEW scouting reports I've seen suggest his only problem is hitting breaking balls, but his defense is reportedly  pretty good, even in centerfield. Had he not broken his thumb last August in Pawtucket he probably would've made the roster and seen proverbial cuppa in the Show. 2013 represents a big crossroads for him roster-wise with Rule 5 looming.

If Ortiz is out a long time I expect Hassan or catcher Butler removed from 40 man with Linares possibly earning a tryout in Sox left field......or even left AND right, spelling Victorino vs. rh pitching and Nava vs. lhp ( Gomes as dh vs. lh ).

Unless someone like Mauro Gomez or Carp starts tearing it up I'd prefer JCL or even Hazelbaker to Sweeney, Maier, Overbay , Carp, etc.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Your criticism on Ellbury's defensive skills was the subject of many threads in the forum prior to last year  so I don't see your point in assessing blame to him for ehe 2012 team.

You are a liar. I have never started even one thread about Jacoby's defense. I never blamed Jacoby for 2012. I have actually criticized any poster who has tried to blame 2012 on any one player or small group of players (see Geo on Beckett as one example).

On TV at the crack of the bat, the camera is focused on the batter and not centerfield.

You obviously don't watch baseball on TV much. The camera angle from behind homeplate shows the batter, pitcher, and CF'er. When the ball is hit, you can see the CF'er break or not break, move back instead of in, in instead of back, etc... Also, many replays of balls hit to CF will show the CF'er and his route taken to the ball. Sometimes we can see a wide curve to the ball, instead of a straight path. Try watching next game and get back to me.

It takes the camera crew a second or two to decide where the ball was hit to  and by that time the viewer cannot determine the jump whether good or bad. You need a scout there at the ballpark whose eyes are glued on CF to assess jump.

Anytime you go to a live game, and I go to many, you can see if a player gets a bad break or not. Most of the time, Jacoby does fine, but he clearly gets bad breaks and takes wrong routes several times over a season, and it is my opinion he does it more than the norm for CF'ers. His great speed makes up for most of it and when he does get the quick break and right angle, he gets to balls many CF'ers never get to. He also will dive for balls. I like that. I have never called jacoby a minus CF'er. He is clearly plus on D. I merely pointed out 2 small weaknesses to his overall skillset, and you can't handle it. To you, no Sox players have any weaknesses. It must have been horrible luck for us to only win 69 games last year when we had 25 allstars with not even a slight weak point in their game.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I have even seen plays where the camera does not have the CF'er in the picture when the ball is hit, the camera is switched to the CF'er angle a second or so later, and we just are able to see the CF'er beginning his break to the ball (late sometimes) or move left or right for a few steps first and then have to come in hard. That's taking a curved route- not a straight line. It's obvious if you are looking for it, and are not wearing pink glasses.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Replays don't show the jump for the same reasons. How does a cameraman know at the instant of contact where the ball is headed to? There would have to have cameras trained on each of the fielders on every pitch in order to see the outfielder's reaction at the crack of the bat.  When I watch TV, I see the view of the batter making contact and by the time that they focus on the specific fielder, he has already taken twenty steps in pursuit of the ball. You don't see the jump and you only see part of the path to the ball.

Proof you don't actually watch the games.

They do have cameras with wide angles that show the CF'er. When they show a replay of a ball hit towards CF, it is as clear as day.

But, you miss the obvious angle that is often shown live. The angle from behind the catcher that shows the batter, pitcher and CF'er in the frame.

Here's an examle: see for yourself a CF'er making a great break and taking the right angle:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i3UBpVY0NV0

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedsoxProspects. Show RedsoxProspects's posts

Moon, agreed that we have discussed Ellsbury's defensive ability a lot. I have always considered him to be a little above average defensively, particularly when matched in an expansive CF. His strengths are not in getting a good jump though, and I think he doesn't play shallow enough to get good UZR/150 numbers on balls hit in front of him. His ability to play the wall is not ideal either. Take him out of Fenway or move him to a conventional corner OF slot though and he might well be near league leading defensively, especially in LF as his arm is not that strong but it is accurate and he rarely makes a mistake. My sense is that he is a generally cautious person. A careful person. You don't see him diving a lot but that approach has kept him on the field a heck of a lot more than would have been the case otherwize. He has had 2 very serious injuries but the guy also was stealing a ton of bases, which clearly increases his odds of getting injured, plus the ridiculous runaway train which was Adrian Beltre, who felt like every ball was his, no matter how far away it was. 

I've seen a phenomena in soccer where some players just know where the ball is going to end up on free kicks and such and others, incuding some players who have exceptional intelligence, just do not. It's not an intelligence thing, or an effort thing necessarily. It's a visual acuity thing maybe and an overall sensory processing thing. Factoring in the sound of the ball hitting an object, be it a foot or a bat, and the trajectory, the wind conditions...whatever. It is just an inate ability possibly developed from playing a lot of sports at a young age with similar sensory stimuli. I don't know but it's obvious that some players have it and some players do not. And it's a very important factor in CF, where the ball often is more difficult to track because it often comes right at you and has more potential to be both in front of you or behind you since the area of coverage is bigger.

Take a guy like Mike Cameron and put him in a small, symetrical ball park like Milwaukee and his "jump" aptitude ( ball tracking aptitude ) can really serve him well but move him to San Diego and that same player is not nearly as valuable. A guy like Ellsbury, who maybe doesn't get as good a jump but has better overall speed would probably put up better UZR/150 numbers in a San Diego type environment.

Ellsbury gets a bad rap still.defensively, IMO. I really think he is going to have a terrific year again in 2013 both offensively and defensively. I wouldn't be surprised if he had a plus 8 WAR.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

...plus the ridiculous runaway train which was Adrian Beltre, who felt like every ball was his, no matter how far away it was.

IF'ers are supposed to run hard after every ball they think they can get to, until they are called off. I have watched that play dozens of times. I never saw Jacoby's lips move at all. I can't be certain he never called him off, but it certainly looks that way to me.

It's my opinion that it was jacoby's fault he got hurt, but neither of us can prove it.

As for Jacoby's defense. From the start, I thought he was a plus defender who maybe made a tad too many bad breaks and routes, but after our years long struggle with softy about Ellsbury, I began to watch his fielding more closely. I notaiced a lot of bad breaks and poor routes in 2008, and lowered my opinion on his defense to about average.

I have seen improvement, but do not think he deserved the GG award. He is very plus now, but still has a weak arm, and IMO still makes slightly abover average bad breaks & poor routes to balls hit to him.

14. This post has been removed.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

I have even seen plays where the camera does not have the CF'er in the picture when the ball is hit, the camera is switched to the CF'er angle a second or so later, and we just are able to see the CF'er beginning his break to the ball (late sometimes) or move left or right for a few steps first and then have to come in hard. That's taking a curved route- not a straight line. It's obvious if you are looking for it, and are not wearing pink glasses.

During my time in Tampa producing a sports talk show, I got to go into the production truck during a few Rays games vs the Sox (my show host was a former play by play guy and was well connected) and see what goes into producing and directing a MLB game. It was an amazing experience and a big eye-opener to what actually goes into making a quality broadcast. During one of those times I saw Ellsbury come in on a ball, then run back for it. You didnt see the break on live tv, but we did in the truck. Then they played a replay where another cameraman had a great angle on it. This is just one example I could give. But pike/selenium knows better I guess. Apparently things look much different with those rose-colored Sox glasses on.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mchampion. Show Mchampion's posts

My theory.  Linares doesn't fit the Sox profile as a hitter.  He doesn't work the count.  Much like Reddick.  That's why Reddick was thought to be expendible and ultimately traded away. Just my 2 cents. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

In response to Mchampion's comment:

My theory.  Linares doesn't fit the Sox profile as a hitter.  He doesn't work the count.  Much like Reddick.  That's why Reddick was thought to be expendible and ultimately traded away. Just my 2 cents. 

You may have a point there, he is a bit of a free swinger.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from jimedfred. Show jimedfred's posts

In response to carnie's comment:

Still better than trying to PAY for it, LOL !

Seriously, Kirby Puckett and Tony Gwynn were once considered too fat to succeed as M.L. outfielders. Everybody struggles with breaking balls to SOME extent , and how easy was it to EVER walk Vlad Guerrero ?

Compare Linares' cuban league numbers to Cespedes or Jorge Soler's. I really think JCL will develop, if he can ever stay healthy. As stated, look for him later this year if he does.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

In response to jimedfred's comment:

In response to carnie's comment:

Still better than trying to PAY for it, LOL !

Seriously, Kirby Puckett and Tony Gwynn were once considered too fat to succeed as M.L. outfielders. Everybody struggles with breaking balls to SOME extent , and how easy was it to EVER walk Vlad Guerrero ?

Compare Linares' cuban league numbers to Cespedes or Jorge Soler's. I really think JCL will develop, if he can ever stay healthy. As stated, look for him later this year if he does.

Well, he was healthy last year and he had a pretty nice year. He looked pretty good in his brief stint in the ML camp this year too.

20. This post has been removed.

21. This post has been removed.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Proof you don't actually watch the games.

They do have cameras with wide angles that show the CF'er. When they show a replay of a ball hit towards CF, it is as clear as day.

But, you miss the obvious angle that is often shown live. The angle from behind the catcher that shows the batter, pitcher and CF'er in the frame.

Here's an examle: see for yourself a CF'er making a great break and taking the right angle:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i3UBpVY0NV0

Give me a break. I watch nearly every Sox game on my 55" LED TV. On nearly every single pitch to the plate what is shown is the back of the pitcher, the windup, the view of the batter, the umpire,the catcher, Mr. Drinkwater and Jerry Kapstein sitting behind home plate. As the pitch comes into the batter I can see it caught by the catcher,  whether it is called a ball or strike, or if contact is made. At that instant, I have no view of center field. If contact is made it might be a foul or into play. At contact, it takes the TV control room a second to switch over to a camera that follows where the trajectory of the batted ball is. By that time an outfielder has already taken ten or more steps towards the spot where the ball will come down. The initial jump ( first ten steps) is never shown on live TV. What is shown live is the batter making contact and not the simultaneous reaction of an outfielder. 

How about a reply to my explination since I have worked in video production and have actually been in the production truck during an MLB game...

23. This post has been removed.

24. This post has been removed.

25. This post has been removed.