Why not RDLR out of the pen?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Drewski5. Show Drewski5's posts

Why not RDLR out of the pen?

He has MLB pen experience.  He's on an innings cap (moving him to the pen is one way to conserve innings).  He has a great fastball.  We have a need.

Why not give him a shot in the 7th inning?  I'd rather see him than Workman.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Re: Why not RDLR out of the pen?

That may happen later but I think for now they want him to get as many starts as possible at Pawtucket.  Probably more concerned with the long term with Rubby because he think he has a lot of potential but he also needs a lot of work and development.  Also he had a horrible start last time out, only recording one out and allowing 6 runs.  He goes again tonight.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

I think we will see RDLR at some point. Brandon Workman is a good choice for the simple reason that batters have a sub .200 BA against him with runners on. That means hes good out of the stretch. His 12-6 curve is stupid good too along with a 95-96MPH FB.

I think we will see RDLR and Drake Britton this year (possibly Sunday for Britton). We may also see Anthony Carter and Chris Martin if they can make room on the 40-man roster.

Teams like the CWS are looking for a top prospect for their middle relievers. I would bet that BC wont part with a top prospect for a middle reliever since most of them are not long term options. Its all about whos hot and whos not. Same goes for a closer.

I believe Bailey will be back to form, Uehara will continue like he is and the Sox will find a lot of the arms from within. Hopefully Taz can rest some because hes looked very mediocre lately and RHH were batting .300 off him last time I checked. If there is a deal that makes sense for a MR, then they will pull the trigger. They will not sacrifice the future for it though.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

Competition is very healthy.

These young guys know there are only so many spots like the Rays young guys know. Hellickson, Moore, Price,   and ,  and .

The Sox rotation, as I see it today, the way people are pitching:

Lackey, Doubrount, Buch, Lester, Dempster. Right now Lester, in my mind, is no better than a #3.

Those competing for stardom:

Barnes, Ranaudo, Britton, Workman, Webster, Rubby, Wright, Couch (AA), Owens (A+). So far Wright put in a terrific outing. Webster--well below par. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasko2248. Show jasko2248's posts

In response to Drewski5's comment:

He has MLB pen experience.  He's on an innings cap (moving him to the pen is one way to conserve innings).  He has a great fastball.  We have a need.

Why not give him a shot in the 7th inning?  I'd rather see him than Workman.

They are obviously being very careful with the kid after his TJ surgery, and it's easier to control his workload in Pawtucket. I also think that the Sox would love for him to be that reliever for the stretch run that nobody has seen much of and comes in and throws 100 for an inning.  My guess is that he could end up playing a significant role for this team in Sept/Oct.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

I agree Jas and Drew----they are holding him back for the stretch drive or when things tighten up after the AS Break.

He is pitching tonight for the PawSox.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from trouts. Show trouts's posts

How about the work of Charlie Furbush and Oliver Perez yesterday against the Sox, especially our left handed hitters? Perez with a 1.75 ERA and 3 Ks in 1.2 innings and Furbush with 4ks in 2.1 innings. Our pen needs another leftie and it looked as though either one of these guys would help.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

In response to trouts' comment:

How about the work of Charlie Furbush and Oliver Perez yesterday against the Sox, especially our left handed hitters? Perez with a 1.75 ERA and 3 Ks in 1.2 innings and Furbush with 4ks in 2.1 innings. Our pen needs another leftie and it looked as though either one of these guys would help.

Charlie Furbush, the 27-year-old Maine native who remains under team control through 2017, would cost far more in trade than 31-year-old Oliver Perez, who becomes a free agent at the end of this season.

FanGraphs on Friday offered a column on Oliver Perez:

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/oliver-perez-pitcher-you-want/

Whom could the Red Sox offer for either Perez or Furbush?

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to hill55's comment:

In response to trouts' comment:

Charlie Furbush, the 27-year-old Maine native who remains under team control through 2017, would cost far more in trade than 31-year-old Oliver Perez, who becomes a free agent at the end of this season.

FanGraphs on Friday offered a column on Oliver Perez:

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/oliver-perez-pitcher-you-want/

Whom could the Red Sox offer for either Perez or Furbush?

We could offer plenty, but probably shouldnt. Middle relievers are iffy at best. The trick is to find the one that is hot and is on a short deal. Perez would fit the profile and shouldnt cost much at all, if the Sox think hes a good fit.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

In response to MadMc44's comment:

I agree Jas and Drew----they are holding him back for the stretch drive or when things tighten up after the AS Break.

He is pitching tonight for the PawSox.

His line for tonight: 5 IP, 7 hits, 3 ER. Not too impressive.

12. This post has been removed.

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

I agree Pumpsie not very impressive last night.

I'm wondering if they are not only monitoring innings but controlling the type of pitches he is allowed to throw. They haven't given Rubby too many opportunities to pitch more than 5 Inn.

In addition the team has lost 9 of the last 10 games. Something is up as a team--Workman, Wright and Webster have been out of the rotation. Their pen has been exposed because of guys like Wilson, Beato and Aceves  running back and forth to the parent team.

It's amazing to see the number of AAA players that have been promoted--we haven't even addressed the offensive side of the ball:Holt, Lavarnway, Bradley, Iggy, Snyder----these were pretty good production people and defensive contributors.

I'm off the thread title but I think in the end many things may contribute to Rubby's hard time.

Sections
Shortcuts