Why not Rich Harden

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from craig2174. Show craig2174's posts

Why not Rich Harden

Rich Harden at least has upside unlike the rest of the retreads we are bringing in.. I think as a 4 or 5 he is a great risk. Plus he has proved, unlike Oswalt that he can pitch in te AL and be effective, when healthy.

Lester
    Beckett
    Buchholz
    Harden 
    Bard

Looks Pretty good to me.. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Gready. Show Gready's posts

Re: Why not Rich Harden

Should have picked him up in July instead of Bedard.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasko2248. Show jasko2248's posts

In response to "Re: Why not Rich Harden":
    Should have picked him up in July instead of Bedard. Posted by Gready
    They did pick him up. He failed the physical, so the deal was nullified. Bedard kept looking up in the stands like he was horrified to be on the mound every game he pitched. He's clearly not a big market guy, but Harden had a 5.12 era and a 1.43 whip in Oakland last year! The only "interest" he's had from teams this off-season is a minor league invite to pitch out of the bullpen. I'd temper the expectations a little...

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In Response to Re: Why not Rich Harden:
    Posted by Gready

He did worse than Bedard while pitching in bigger parks.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from phxvlsoxfan. Show phxvlsoxfan's posts

A.  17 HRs in 83 IP, with half his games in a pitcher friendly park.
    B.  Look at his numbers over his last 5 starts.  Talk about a September meltdown.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from parhunter1. Show parhunter1's posts

I would still sign him to a minor league deal and have him compete with Silva, Padilla and Cook.  If healthy he is better than Cook and at least as good as Silva and Padilla.  One out of those four ought to prove fit enough to help out in 2012, and with Doubront, Wilson and Tazawa, there would be 7 guys vying for the 5th and 6th spots in the rotation.  I should think that the odds are with the Sox that these 7 guys could provide enough quality innings to get them to July, when either Dice-K returns or a mid-season trade is made.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasko2248. Show jasko2248's posts

I would still sign him to a minor league deal and have him compete with Silva, Padilla and Cook.  If healthy he is better than Cook and at least as good as Silva and Padilla.  One out of those four ought to prove fit enough to help out in 2012, and with Doubront, Wilson and Tazawa, there would be 7 guys vying for the 5th and 6th spots in the rotation.  I should think that the odds are with the Sox that these 7 guys could provide enough quality innings to get them to July, when either Dice-K returns or a mid-season trade is made. Posted by parhunter1
    "If healthy" is the problem. An invite with no guaranteed money, sure, why not. My sleeper out of the bunch is Cook. Again, "if healthy," the guy has a solid make-up, good movement on his pitches and he's the type of guy who might feel reborn in this environment. I also like the fact that no one is giving him a prayer around here...

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

Harden is one of those guys that, if a team chooses not to pursue him, it is always obvious why.

He is also one of those guys that, if a team chooses to pursue him, it is also obvious why....

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasko2248. Show jasko2248's posts

Harden is one of those guys that, if a team chooses not to pursue him, it is always obvious why. He is also one of those guys that, if a team chooses to pursue him, it is also obvious why.... Posted by notin
    Haha...that sums it up perfectly....kind of like if Mark Prior's arm is still attached to his shoulder, someone will always take a look...

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

Posted by Gready

Bedard pitched much better in the final two months than Harden.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxpride34. Show redsoxpride34's posts

i would still rather give him a shot than a cancer like vincente padilla, scrap heap guys like cook, main and silva or germano. those guys are all aweful. and after all the clubhouse issues this team had last year, I dont think bringing in guys like padilla and silva is a very smart move. If ben was smart, he would have signed guys like webb and harden instead of that crew of has beens. (some of them were barely even has beens)

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from hankwilliamsjr. Show hankwilliamsjr's posts

Offer standard minor league contract with 1M plus incentives if on the MLB roster early spring or he has his early freedom to sign elsewhere. Most likely, another team will do better, which is fine since the retread barn is about full.

The great news is that it appears the "civic icon" has been put out to pasture.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Skadude22. Show Skadude22's posts

If they don't get Oswalt to sign on their terms, I would love to see Harden here.  The idea of getting 200 innings from each starter spot is a lot easier when you have a few guys contributing solid innings in the 4th/5th slot.  Also, if someone goes down during the season and you can have Harden step in, that'd be a lot better than Wakefield or Weiland last year.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from AL34. Show AL34's posts

Constantly injured and a very big risk. But with who Ben has picked up this offseason he swould fit right in with the medical staff.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

If they don't get Oswalt to sign on their terms, I would love to see Harden here.  The idea of getting 200 innings from each starter spot is a lot easier when you have a few guys contributing solid innings in the 4th/5th slot.  Also, if someone goes down during the season and you can have Harden step in, that'd be a lot better than Wakefield or Weiland last year.
    Posted by Skadude22

The problem is that we really need someone to accept a minor league assignment.  You can't reserve a BP spot for Harden 'just in case'.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Skadude22. Show Skadude22's posts

In Response to Re: Why not Rich Harden : The problem is that we really need someone to accept a minor league assignment.  You can't reserve a BP spot for Harden 'just in case'.
    Posted by Joebreidey

My understanding of a minor league deal is that if you don't make the team out of spring training, you go to the minors until you're called up.  In some of the deals, there are out clauses, where if it gets to, say June 1st, and you haven't been called up, you can opt of the contract.  In that case, either you have a pretty good situation, because the back-up options are pitching well enough that they deserve a job, but not as well as the guys you have in your rotation, but you had insurance for the first part of the season. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

In Response to Re: Why not Rich Harden : My understanding of a minor league deal is that if you don't make the team out of spring training, you go to the minors until you're called up.  In some of the deals, there are out clauses, where if it gets to, say June 1st, and you haven't been called up, you can opt of the contract.  In that case, either you have a pretty good situation, because the back-up options are pitching well enough that they deserve a job, but not as well as the guys you have in your rotation, but you had insurance for the first part of the season. 
    Posted by Skadude22

Right, so the problem with Harden is that he won't want a minor league deal.  What you really want is the best #6 SP theoretically.  You want a guy that is just slightly bad enough to not make a major rotation, that way he'll take a minor league assignment.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

In Response to Why not Rich Harden:
    Rich Harden at least has upside unlike the rest of the retreads we are bringing in.. I think as a 4 or 5 he is a great risk. Plus he has proved, unlike Oswalt that he can pitch in te AL and be effective, when healthy. Lester Beckett Buchholz Harden  Bard Looks Pretty good to me.. 
    Posted by craig2174

During discussions last season to bring in Harden, we backed off due to health issues.  Harden apparently may have taken offense because I read somewhere he would not play for Boston after that.

I agree with you, Harden is a better pitcher than Bedard, Lackey or any of the minor league contracts we handed out in the past month in hopes we find a gem.  Harden has had a tough career but there is no doubt he can handle the best hitting teams when healthy.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from parhunter1. Show parhunter1's posts

I'm not sure he'll get offered anything more than a minor league deal.  He has to prove he is healthy, and most teams would only do that on a minor league deal, where if he is not pitching well out of camp, he doesn't have to build up strength, control and consistency pitching in games that count.  Offering an opt out is the decent thing to do, and the Sox have done that in the past.  If Oswalt signs somewhere else, then Ben ought to sign Harden.  Two weeks to ST and the guy is not under contract?  He can't be too picky at this point.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from YOUKILLUS20. Show YOUKILLUS20's posts

Offer standard minor league contract with 1M plus incentives if on the MLB roster early spring or he has his early freedom to sign elsewhere. Most likely, another team will do better, which is fine since the retread barn is about full. The great news is that it appears the "civic icon" has been put out to pasture.
    Posted by hankwilliamsjr

When did they get the memo telling them that Wake was done, was it September? or the three month pursuit of two victories?? Personally, my office got the memo earlier, mine was signed by Aaron Boone.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Skadude22. Show Skadude22's posts

In Response to Re: Why not Rich Harden : Right, so the problem with Harden is that he won't want a minor league deal.  What you really want is the best #6 SP theoretically.  You want a guy that is just slightly bad enough to not make a major rotation, that way he'll take a minor league assignment.
    Posted by Joebreidey

Doesn't the fact that he is still a free agent, as teams are preparing to start spring training, suggest that maybe a major league deal isn't out there?

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In Response to Re: Why not Rich Harden :    When did they get the memo telling them that Wake was done, was it September? or the three month pursuit of two victories?? Personally, my office got the memo earlier, mine was signed by Aaron Boone.
    Posted by YOUKILLUS20

Memo shmemo.

1) In that series vs the Yanks, Wake went 14 innings allowing just 8 hits and 4 ERs (2.57 ERA) with 10 Ks.

2) Had he retired after said memo, we'd have missed the best 6 season stretch of his career (2004-2009), the best 5 season stretch (2005-2009), or the best 3 season stretch (2007-2009), whichever way you want to look at it.

3) Even in 2010, he was a better starter than Beckett (5.78/1.535)

4) Even in 2011, Wake (5.31/1.398 as a starter) was better than Lackey (6.41/1.619), Weiland (8.72/1.846, Miller (5.55/1.800) and pretty close to Aceves as a starter (4.03/1.571).

5) The alternatives were worse.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from hankwilliamsjr. Show hankwilliamsjr's posts

5) The alternatives were worse.

False, Youk got the memo, you are now having to get a dose of reality on how pathetic Wastefield is. There will be no million dollar MLB contract offers for the beer gutted old men you want to see break another meaningless individual record.

What Moonslurp fails to note is that only Wastefield was given a slot in the rotation. Miller and Weiland and Aceves were jerked in and out and were given no regular schedule. But the old disgraceful fat man was squatting for his regular starts, where he had a zero confidence level from anyone that focuses on winning baseball games.

Wastefield was the single greatest factor in the greatest collapse in MLB season history. And the sad part is, that if he hadn't signed his own Red Sox career death warrant by stating, right after the collapse, that "Red Sox fans deserve a chance to see me", he would have been given another welfare contract. Nice to see we are into February and Tim Wastefield is still waiting for his cellphone to ring for that NL contract that allows him to win 15 games "some other place". 

The "civic icon" is a Red Sox disgrace, and it is too bad his loyalty wasn't for the Yankees, who always played the "Peter Rabbit" pitch when they would pay to keep goofball pitching for the Red Sox. 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

Wastefield was the single greatest factor in the greatest collapse in MLB season history.

Who had the best ERA in September?

Miller
    Weiland
    Lackey
    Beckett
    Lester 
    Wakefeld

I guess what you meant to say was the Wakefiled was out best starter in September.

I know you try to avoid statstics, but they are they are almost impossible to avoid.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from hankwilliamsjr. Show hankwilliamsjr's posts

A Tim Wastefield apologist, ignoring the pre-September pathetic L, L, L, L , L L, as WAstefield was paraded out for win #200, and the team went into ceremonial "win one for Wastefield" mode. Ruined the entire season!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sections
Shortcuts