Why not trade for Asdrubal Cabrera?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from mvpyouk20. Show mvpyouk20's posts

Why not trade for Asdrubal Cabrera?

Indians are trying to move him. I know he isn't the best fielder out there but he is a very good hitter. He is owned 16.5 million or so in the next two years (6.5 in 2013 and 10 in 2014). No that bad really. He is the only Indian player I would trade for out of the 4 players they are offering.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Re: Why not trade for Asdrubal Cabrera?

Hes not worth 10M...Id rather have someone whos better on D up the middle. Errors have gone up each of the last 3 years and he played 18 less gs in 2012 than 2011. Went from 15E to 19E. Hes a mid 700's OPS guy...Not worth 16M ove 2 years and give up decent prospects IMO.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnchiladaT. Show EnchiladaT's posts

Multiple Asdrubel threads, great! lol

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnchiladaT. Show EnchiladaT's posts

Trading Asdrubal Cabrera makes sense for Cleveland Indians: Terry Pluto

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnchiladaT. Show EnchiladaT's posts

"Cabrera averaged 20 homers and 80 RBI while batting .271 during the past two seasons, making the All-Star team. But his declining defense is alarming for a 27-year-old as he battles weight problems. His numbers have fallen down in the second half of the past two seasons. In 2011-12, he batted .290 (.834 OPS) before the All-Star break and .248 (.698) after.

Physical conditioning was an issue."  Terry Pluto, The Plain Dealer (Cleveland

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Pass.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnchiladaT. Show EnchiladaT's posts

I would prefer to watch the Iggy mini-Express until the All*Star break and then evaluate what is up at short.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to EnchiladaT's comment:

I would prefer to watch the Iggy mini-Express until the All*Star break and then evaluate what is up at short.

Im with you on this. they invested 8M in this kid and this is the year they should give hime enogh rope to see if he can at least hit enough to warrant a starting job at SS for the future. We should know what we have, or at least an idea, by the ASB.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnchiladaT. Show EnchiladaT's posts

My thought is that with a gaping offensive need at first and the outlfield that to worry about short in regard to offense is silly. We won't miss the play-offs because of Iggy manning short but we would miss it because of starting pitching and the lack of offense at first and outfield.

We cannot fill all our needs so easily so why mess with the golden glove.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Yukon-Cornelius. Show Yukon-Cornelius's posts

"Cabrera averaged 20 homers and 80 RBI while batting .271 during the past two seasons, making the All-Star team. But his declining defense is alarming for a 27-year-old as he battles weight problems. His numbers have fallen down in the second half of the past two seasons. In 2011-12, he batted .290 (.834 OPS) before the All-Star break and .248 (.698) after.

Bad defense, poor physical conditioning?  Doesn't sound like a guy I want on the Sox in 2013 or beyond.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnchiladaT. Show EnchiladaT's posts

In response to Yukon-Cornelius' comment:

Exactly. Fantasy baseball yes, real-time Sox NO

Bad defense, poor physical conditioning?  Doesn't sound like a guy I want on the Sox in 2013 or beyond.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from boborielly224. Show boborielly224's posts

In response to mvpyouk20's comment:

Indians are trying to move him. I know he isn't the best fielder out there but he is a very good hitter. He is owned 16.5 million or so in the next two years (6.5 in 2013 and 10 in 2014). No that bad really. He is the only Indian player I would trade for out of the 4 players they are offering.

Other options for trades are LF, Morse from Wsh. and Alex Gordon from KC.

The nats are looking for a center fielder for harper can move to LF. The nats could be interested in player like Ellsbury. Morse can also play 1B this would be helpful for interleague play with the national league.

Also Alex Gordon (10.5 mill per season for 3 yrs.) could be a possible trade for the sox in LF this will be OK for sox w/o trading Ellsbury.

Ellsbury trade for me would be to get some help in the bullpen is my first option. Bailey is a rightie and we could use good leftie closer also.

I would personally keep Iglesias and Ciriaco for the SS position. We need Ciriaco backing up the infield just incase that unfortunate word happens injury.

With Francona as Cleveland manager interesting things may happen with the Sox and Indians

Also closer Marmol from the Cubs is also on the block but he is a right hand closer.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnchiladaT. Show EnchiladaT's posts

Other Answers:  STOP LOOKING FOR SOME OTHER ANSWER AT SHORT-STOP! 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Soxdog67. Show Soxdog67's posts

In response to boborielly224's comment:

The nats are looking for a center fielder for harper can move to LF. The nats could be interested in player like Ellsbury. Morse can also play 1B this would be helpful for interleague play with the national league.

Also Alex Gordon (10.5 mill per season for 3 yrs.) could be a possible trade for the sox in LF this will be OK for sox w/o trading Ellsbury.

Ellsbury trade for me would be to get some help in the bullpen is my first option. Bailey is a rightie and we could use good leftie closer also.

I would personally keep Iglesias and Ciriaco for the SS position. We need Ciriaco backing up the infield just incase that unfortunate word happens injury.

With Francona as Cleveland manager interesting things may happen with the Sox and Indians

Also closer Marmol from the Cubs is also on the block but he is a right hand closer.

Somebody read Gordon Edes column on ESPNBoston, regarding Morse and Gordon.

http://espn.go.com/boston/mlb/story/_/id/8601401/five-trades-boston-red-sox-wise-explore

Personally I'd do back flips if the Sox were able to acquire Gordon and Morse to fill 2 of their line-up holes. Plus one of the pitchers that Edes suggests would be good also, although I'm not crazy about acquiring Lee.

How many teams have both a LH and RH Closer?? I'd say ZERO! The Sox are fortunate to have multiple LHP in their bullpen now with Miller, Hill, Breslow and Morales.

Marmol was on the block for an established top of the rotation pitcher in Haren...plus the Cubs backed off in the end.

I agree with you that Cleveland and Boston might be good trade partners as the Indians have Shin-soo Choo who would look good in RF at Fenway for the Sox.

Imagine this line-up:

• CF Ellsbury
    • 2B Pedroia
    • DH Ortiz
    • 1B Morse
    • RF Choo
    • 3B Middlebrooks
    • LF Gordon
    • C  Salt
    • SS Iglesias

Rotation:

• Lester
    • Buccholz
    • Lackey
    • Doubront
    • J Johnson/Haren/McCarthy

So much for a bridge year!

Oh, and to get this line-up, expect the Sox to relinguish a good segment of prospects...and some names we may not be happy with giving up.

15. This post has been removed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoUconn13. Show GoUconn13's posts

Boston's priority is not to trade for a SS.

Right now they are looking for a top starting pitcher, LF/RF, and 1B

If they need a SS, who know they could make a blockbuster trade where it could included starting pitcher along with maybe SS, LF, etc

I rather to worry about pitching first!!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from boborielly224. Show boborielly224's posts

In response to Soxdog67's comment:

In response to boborielly224's comment:

Somebody read Gordon Edes column on ESPNBoston, regarding Morse and Gordon.

http://espn.go.com/boston/mlb/story/_/id/8601401/five-trades-boston-red-sox-wise-explore

Personally I'd do back flips if the Sox were able to acquire Gordon and Morse to fill 2 of their line-up holes. Plus one of the pitchers that Edes suggests would be good also, although I'm not crazy about acquiring Lee.

How many teams have both a LH and RH Closer?? I'd say ZERO! The Sox are fortunate to have multiple LHP in their bullpen now with Miller, Hill, Breslow and Morales.

Marmol was on the block for an established top of the rotation pitcher in Haren...plus the Cubs backed off in the end.

I agree with you that Cleveland and Boston might be good trade partners as the Indians have Shin-soo Choo who would look good in RF at Fenway for the Sox.

Imagine this line-up:

• CF Ellsbury
    • 2B Pedroia
    • DH Ortiz
    • 1B Morse
    • RF Choo
    • 3B Middlebrooks
    • LF Gordon
    • C  Salt
    • SS Iglesias

Rotation:

• Lester
    • Buccholz
    • Lackey
    • Doubront
    • J Johnson/Haren/McCarthy

So much for a bridge year!

Oh, and to get this line-up, expect the Sox to relinguish a good segment of prospects...and some names we may not be happy with giving up.

You are right i was reading that article and trying to find some outside opinions. I just need to learn that cut paste and other computer limbo . Should be interesting to see if Cherington is willing to gamble on big trade to get help with the pitching. When it comes to baseball pitching will take a team far into the post season, similar to hockey a goaltender can take a team far also.

Sections
Shortcuts