Why support the Red Sox

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from BMMSZ. Show BMMSZ's posts

Why support the Red Sox

Here it is the end of October, and I still can't get over the September collapse.  I'm a 62 year old diehard who has seen it all.  When the Yankees featured Mantle and Maris, we featured guys like Gary Geiger and Lou Clinton.  Those Sox teams never had enough talent. As the years went by, we struggled through injuries and sometimes just bad luck...then we were finally rewarded in  2004 and 2007.  Like many fans, I
     have been with them through thick and thin....BUT...this was very different.  The starting pitching was pitiful, but we also were guilty of lousy fielding, lack of clutch hitting, and bad base running...all the signs of a team that lost its focus and quit on us.  In the games I watched...which was most of them,...they lacked any emotion and just threw the season away.
    So what is going to make it better?...are they all going to "care" now?  I think they showed their true colors and I for one have quit on them too.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from kimsaysthis. Show kimsaysthis's posts

Re: Why support the Red Sox

In Response to Why support the Red Sox:
    Here it is the end of October, and I still can't get over the September collapse.  I'm a 62 year old diehard who has seen it all.  When the Yankees featured Mantle and Maris, we featured guys like Gary Geiger and Lou Clinton.  Those Sox teams never had enough talent. As the years went by, we struggled through injuries and sometimes just bad luck...then we were finally rewarded in  2004 and 2007.  Like many fans, I  have been with them through thick and thin....BUT...this was very different.  The starting pitching was pitiful, but we also were guilty of lousy fielding, lack of clutch hitting, and bad base running...all the signs of a team that lost its focus and quit on us.  In the games I watched...which was most of them,...they lacked any emotion and just threw the season away. So what is going to make it better?...are they all going to "care" now?  I think they showed their true colors and I for one have quit on them too.
    Posted by BMMSZ

LOL. With your "2" posts you should have been with them more.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from jete02fan. Show jete02fan's posts

if you love/grew up with the Sox,it's just as easy to say why not?...just sayin...

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

Congratulations.  Way too many fans can't extricate themselves from the team.  They're miserable, but still follow.  When it stops being enjoyable, it is time to move onto other hobbies.

For me, as a Red Sox, the past 9 years have been the most enjoyable by a wide stretch over the 1967-2002 period, this last misearable month not withstanding.

While I have no issue with you leaving, I have one question-

Between 1968-1985, 18 years, we made one playoff appearance.  Between 1991-2002, we won exactly 5 playoff games.  Since 2003, we've been about the most successful team in BB.  A few less wins than they NYY, but one more WSC.

Why would you suffer so long, only to leave once we became the Beast?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from BMMSZ. Show BMMSZ's posts

Thank all for your thoughts...Maybe I just didn't see it in the past, but I really don't remember a Red Sox team...one that was holding the reigns as they were, just quit....they didn't choke as in 1978, lack talent, have too many injuries, etc.,...they just failed to show up.  So unfair to the fans.
    All of us give them our greatest effort as fans...we support them in every way and through thick and thin.  They just let this season slip away.  Honestly speaking, what makes any of us think this bunch won't do it again.  We are stuck.  If this were a high school team, half of them would get cut. As pro's, there's not much you can do.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

I've been a Red Sox fan since 1969...I've felt like quitting on them a few times, most notably in the early 80's...but they're my team.  When you think about it it's pretty cool to have a team that you care about so much...2004 and 2007 made it all worth it for me.

Think about the suffering of Cubs fans, and now Rangers fans...there's a lot of suffering included in being a fan.  You have to keep it all in perspective. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from BMMSZ. Show BMMSZ's posts

In Response to Re: Why support the Red Sox:
    I've been a Red Sox fan since 1969...I've felt like quitting on them a few times, most notably in the early 80's...but they're my team.  When you think about it it's pretty cool to have a team that you care about so much...2004 and 2007 made it all worth it for me. Think about the suffering of Cubs fans, and now Rangers fans...there's a lot of suffering included in being a fan.  You have to keep it all in perspective. 
    Posted by Hfxsoxnut

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from BMMSZ. Show BMMSZ's posts

I really don't want to keep this ramble going, but once again,...it's not that they endured a miserable month which cost them the division and/or the wild card.  I've witnessed many of those "slumps" over 62 years.
    It's the WAY they lost.  They quit. In all honesty, do any of you remember seeing any sense of urgency, hustle, focus, etc. during that stretch?  There has been a lot of finger pointing and excuses but they didn't seem to want it at all. To those poor fans who make the effort to travel to Fenway, pay high prices, sit through all kinds of weather, etc, etc. We got cheated.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

I loved the Red Sox as a kid because they were the only team I could follow regularly on T.V. and radio. In the mid- 80's when I first got cable, I was able to watch Red Sox on NESN/WSBK , Yankees ( some games) on WPIX, Braves on TBS, and Mets on WOR. I became a big fan of National League ball, the strategy without the DH intrigued me and I became a follower of the Mets ( I consider Gary Carter to be my favorite player ever). I was never a fan of Rich Gedman, Bob Stanley, Rocket Roger and Wade Boggs so it was easy to change channels and watch the National League games.

I never stopped thinking of the Red Sox as my American League team , but I loved them more when they had Yaz, George Scott, Fisk,Reggie Smith,Fred Lynn,Ray Culp, Jim Rice, Sonny Seibert,Bill Lee, Cecil Cooper, Juan Beniquez, Burleson and Rico. Back in the 67- 78 period. These were my favorite Red Sox teams. That they were never champions didn't matter that much , these were my guys.

It was better being a fan when the media wasn't always trying to show you the villainous side of your favorite guys. I hate that we are being shown the scars, the private lives and the dirt.

I want my players to be heroes. This is what being a fan is all about. Today's players are not the same. Even if they win it all, I will always love the guys of 1967 and 1975, they were huge underdogs and they came so, so close....I admired their determination and grit....I DO NOT HAVE THE SAME FEELINGS ABOUT A MEGA MILLIONS TEAM WHEN IT UNDERACHEIVES. I know they are human, I do not need the media always reminding me of it. I want them to play hard, get dirty and be as tough to beat as possible....It is not necessary to be a championship team for me to visualize the guys as champions.....ACTING LIKE AND PLAYING LIKE CHAMPIONS IS ENOUGH FOR ME.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pass-the-hubris-please. Show Pass-the-hubris-please's posts

In Response to Why support the Red Sox : LOL. With your "2" posts you should have been with them more.
    Posted by kimsaysthis

How is the number of posts a premise of any point?  Oh, right.  It's you who responded.  Never mind.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pass-the-hubris-please. Show Pass-the-hubris-please's posts

I loved the Red Sox as a kid because they were the only team I could follow regularly on T.V. and radio. In the mid- 80's when I first got cable, I was able to watch Red Sox on NESN/WSBK , Yankees ( some games) on WPIX, Braves on TBS, and Mets on WOR. I became a big fan of National League ball, the strategy without the DH intrigued me and I became a follower of the Mets ( I consider Gary Carter to be my favorite player ever). I was never a fan of Rich Gedman, Bob Stanley, Rocket Roger and Wade Boggs so it was easy to change channels and watch the National League games. I never stopped thinking of the Red Sox as my American League team , but I loved them more when they had Yaz, George Scott, Fisk,Reggie Smith,Fred Lynn,Ray Culp, Jim Rice, Sonny Seibert,Bill Lee, Cecil Cooper, Juan Beniquez, Burleson and Rico. Back in the 67- 78 period. These were my favorite Red Sox teams. That they were never champions didn't matter that much , these were my guys. It was better being a fan when the media wasn't always trying to show you the villainous side of your favorite guys. I hate that we are being shown the scars, the private lives and the dirt. I want my players to be heroes. This is what being a fan is all about. Today's players are not the same. Even if they win it all, I will always love the guys of 1967 and 1975, they were huge underdogs and they came so, so close....I admired their determination and grit....I DO NOT HAVE THE SAME FEELINGS ABOUT A MEGA MILLIONS TEAM WHEN IT UNDERACHEIVES. I know they are human, I do not need the media always reminding me of it. I want them to play hard, get dirty and be as tough to beat as possible....It is not necessary to be a championship team for me to visualize the guys as champions.....ACTING LIKE AND PLAYING LIKE CHAMPIONS IS ENOUGH FOR ME.
    Posted by ZILLAGOD

But, 2004 and 2007 didn't hurt?  Wink

Nice post.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

Here it is the end of October, and I still can't get over the September collapse.  I'm a 62 year old diehard who has seen it all.  When the Yankees featured Mantle and Maris, we featured guys like Gary Geiger and Lou Clinton.  Those Sox teams never had enough talent. As the years went by, we struggled through injuries and sometimes just bad luck...then we were finally rewarded in  2004 and 2007.  Like many fans, I  have been with them through thick and thin....BUT...this was very different.  The starting pitching was pitiful, but we also were guilty of lousy fielding, lack of clutch hitting, and bad base running...all the signs of a team that lost its focus and quit on us.  In the games I watched...which was most of them,...they lacked any emotion and just threw the season away. So what is going to make it better?...are they all going to "care" now?  I think they showed their true colors and I for one have quit on them too.
    Posted by BMMSZ

Well the good news is that you have 28 other teams who typically every year have room on the bandwagon come October...

If you indeed have been a Red Sox fan for 62 years that makes you old enough to have lived through some very lean years and I would think that your old enough to look at the big picture. However your post suggests to me that you lack the life experiece of a 62 year old and in fact your more likly to be one the many Yankee trolls that create a new Identity becasue they lack the debating skills to entering into a fact based baseball discusion...

If you act quickly there's still time to jump on the Cardinals bandwagon before the parade...

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from raider3524. Show raider3524's posts

i love the red sox....i'll support them for the rest of my life....

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rutland76. Show Rutland76's posts

"When the Yankees featured Mantle and Maris, we featured guys like Gary Geiger and Lou Clinton"

I thought that the 1959-1960 teams featured Ted Williams, Jackie Jensen. Frank Malzone, Sammy White, and Pete Runnels. It is curious why you would single out Gary Geiger and Lou Clinton but it does sound like something that a concern troll would do. Did you enjoy starting that thread? Whoopie.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from donrd4. Show donrd4's posts

Posted by BMMSZ

Great ! Wish more posters on here would just quit like you and move on to another team.Thanks for being honest with us and good luck on your new team. Hope others follow you and clean this board up of cry babies and moaners.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from traven. Show traven's posts

I have been a Sox fan since the days when the nicest thing a sports announcer could call the team was "lovable" - now we have Red Sox Nation and two WS victories.  Every year now we EXPECT the Sox to finish in the playoffs and we grumble when they do not.  I for one remember the days of old and sincerely appreciate the "NEW" Sox and even when they don't win - they will always be my team.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rutland76. Show Rutland76's posts

In Response to Why support the Red Sox : Great ! Wish more posters on here would just quit like you and move on to another team.Thanks for being honest with us and good luck on your new team. Hope others follow you and clean this board up of cry babies and moaners.
    Posted by donrd4

He is a "concern troll".

concern troll

In an argument , a concern troll is someone who is on one side of the discussion, but pretends to be a supporter of the other side with "concerns". The idea behind this is that your opponents will take your arguments more seriously if they think you're an ally. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

Posted by BMMSZ

Bye. Thanks for playing. Don't let the turnstile hit you on the way out.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

In a sense, it's like Jerry Seinfeld once said: We root for laundry.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from BMMSZ. Show BMMSZ's posts

I've been pretty surprised by the responses to my post.  I'm not in any way upset because we lost.  I am VERY angry over the WAY we lost. No one else on this post saw it...it was so obvious.  This was not a team giving its all and coming up short...THEY QUIT. No one else was bothered by this? They quit on all of us.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rutland76. Show Rutland76's posts

I've been pretty surprised by the responses to my post.  I'm not in any way upset because we lost.  I am VERY angry over the WAY we lost. No one else on this post saw it...it was so obvious.  This was not a team giving its all and coming up short...THEY QUIT. No one else was bothered by this? They quit on all of us.
    Posted by BMMSZ

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rutland76. Show Rutland76's posts

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rutland76. Show Rutland76's posts

Concern Troll is VERY UPSET THAT THEY ALL QUIT

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

Posted by BMMSZ

You don't this and I don't know this.  I do know they played terribly, but I don't know if that means they quit.

They scored about 5.3 RPG in September, so I assume the offense is absolved.

Miller, Weiland, and Wake really aren't overly capable, so it is probably more about talent than effort.  The collapse was mostly on Beckett, Lester, Bard, and Lackey.  Lackey stunk all year, so it's not like he quit.  Bard was probably overworked.

So it really boils down to Beckett and Lester.  I don't think they quit but if you want to stop following the RS because you think those two guys quit, I wouldn't think of stopping you.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

Congratulations.  Way too many fans can't extricate themselves from the team.  They're miserable, but still follow.  When it stops being enjoyable, it is time to move onto other hobbies. For me, as a Red Sox, the past 9 years have been the most enjoyable by a wide stretch over the 1967-2002 period, this last misearable month not withstanding. While I have no issue with you leaving, I have one question- Between 1968-1985, 18 years, we made one playoff appearance.  Between 1991-2002, we won exactly 5 playoff games.  Since 2003, we've been about the most successful team in BB.  A few less wins than they NYY, but one more WSC. Why would you suffer so long, only to leave once we became the Beast?
    Posted by Joebreidey

Why, Joe?  I call it the "Curse of the Able".  Performance improves, followed swiftly by higher expectations that almost immediately fester into entitlement.

Sections
Shortcuts