Why Take Dempster Out after 88 pitches, 1 Run and an easy 7th inning?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoUconn13. Show GoUconn13's posts

Re: Why Take Dempster Out after 88 pitches, 1 Run and an easy 7th inning?

In response to dannycater's comment:
    [QUOTE]

remember that it was the infamous Pedro game that ultimately got Grady fired. Ever since, for a sox manager, leaving a guy in too long is considered taboo and if anything Tito and Farrell take guys out way too soon. I agree, it's what's wrong with managers today. Protecting guys arms isn't done by limiting pitches, it's done by being smart in games. Pull a guy who is ineffective, don't pull a guy who is on a roll.

Exactly!!!!  Same goes with Napoli.  He is every ineffective in hitting, but he is playing like he is one of the better 1b defender in the league lately.   Would Gomes have done that at 1b eventhough he never play that position in his entire career?  

Fans need to stop thinking they are smarter than Farrell.  If they are, why can they become a manager?  They would be making 1 to 3 millions dollars a year.  that is 20 times more than they are making now at their job!!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to Hfxsoxnut's comment:

In response to southpaw777's comment:

[QUOTE]

Because if Dempster had been left in he would have blown the game and we would have lost.

Instead, we won the game and Dempster's confidence is boosted by his good outing.

So Farrell's move had two excellent results.

And you know this for sure how? you cant be serious.

Hes was crusin along at 88 pitches with no signs of trouble, shutting down every jays batter. just had a quick 1-2-3 IP. Taz was an excellent result? Have you seen his numbers vs the jays? sorry, but I very much and respectfully disagree with this whole post 100%.

[/QUOTE]

My post was tongue-in-cheek, southpaw.

I figure if the bashers are allowed to know it was a bad move, I'm allowed to know it was a good move.

And I'm not including you as a basher, you're far from it.

[/QUOTE]

Ok, sorry for the misunderstanding.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

more than likely any player faster than napoli would have made that play.  These are MLB players who are better than anyone who never made it past AAA who are better than the guys in AA who are better than the guys in high A low A who are better than the guys in College who are better than the better highschool players who were the better players on your little league team. 

It was a good play, Napoli has been an above average defender...but lets not act like he is a gold glove fielder who made a play that not a lot of big league players would have made. 

His defense has been a bright spot in a rough season, but it doesn't make up for his lack of offense.  I'm willing to give him more time, but not without giving Carp an extra start or 2 a week and dropping him more in the order.  It's playoff run time and we can't afford to sit around and wait. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from tomnev. Show tomnev's posts

I have been a Nap supporter because I am not sure if Carp was exposed to more playing time we wouldnt see his #'s drop dramatically....but it may not be a bad idea for us to play Carp more versus tougher Righties and give Nap some time to get his swing straigtened out and also get his confidence back by maybe being successful versus lefties and lesser righties...I think come(and if) playoff time, I would want a vet like Napoli in there, so it would be nice to get him on a roll before that

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from lasitter. Show lasitter's posts

In response to S5's comment:

In response to lasitter's comment:

[QUOTE]

Updating my "records are misleading" theme with Dempster ...

-----

I was originally against acquiring Dempster, but any fair look at his performance would show that his salary has not been wasted. (Building on a previoius thread ...)....

I'm beginning to wonder if Taz and Dempster should be pitching in the same game together.

+1

Would it be possible to repost this in every thread where the derogatory name "Dumpster" is used?

[/QUOTE]

Agreed. I think the real issue is whether Taz should ever throw against the Jays. They have his number.

http://www.boston.com/blogs/sports/columnists/kaufman/2013/08/red_sox_shouldnt_use_junichi_tazawa_vs_blue_jays.html

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from jimdavis. Show jimdavis's posts

Of course it was a bad move.  Tazawa gave up a run.

But if he leaves Dempster in and he gives up two quick runs and we lose 3-2, I'm sure everybody would be here defending Farrell vigorously. Laughing    

Bingo...Everyone else is offering 20/20 hindsight.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from VeniceSox. Show VeniceSox's posts

We're talking about a pitcher that is known by a lot of Sox fans as 'Dumpster', who came into the game sporting a 4.81 ERA and a 1.47 WHIP in his time in the AL.  Now suddenly he inspires all this confidence. 

Come on now, Dempster has had some really off nights lately but this was NOT one of them.  You go with the hot hand so to speak and he had it last night.  Dempster last night was who the Sox paid for and he was on and could have easily gone another inning...imo

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Well, the bottom line is, everyone's got an opinion but there's only one man who has to make the decision.  Farrell made his decision and I support him.  I always support the manager unless it's an obvious bonehead decision.  I don't think Farrell has made many of those.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

In response to pumpsie-green's comment:

[QUOTE]

The explanation is simple.  Good 7 innings or not, Farrell didn't feel confident in Dempster putting up another zero.  Ryan can be cruising along sometimes and then the bottom suddenly falls out. 

Right move, wrong reliever. Should have brought in Breslow. Taz has an OPSa vs the Jays of over 1.400. Wrong guy.

[/QUOTE]

That doesn't work for RPs.  It's okay for SPs, since you usually face the same guys 3-4 times.

For RPs, you only worry about the 3-4 batters he is likely to face.  He wasn't going to be around to face EE or Bautista.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

Well, the bottom line is, everyone's got an opinion but there's only one man who has to make the decision.  Farrell made his decision and I support him.  I always support the manager unless it's an obvious bonehead decision.  I don't think Farrell has made many of those.

Agree. My comments on this thread has more to do with generally how the game is managed today compare to when I was growing up and how pitchers are used. Some of the changes I don't mind, others, while I understand the rationale, I don't always agree with.

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

I was ripped for putting this thread out there and with people saying that it was the 8th inning and Tazawa's inning.

So eplain this:

Why leave Dempster in yesterday when he was struggling with MORE pitches in the 6th inning, yet he's taken out in the 8th inning of a game he was cruising along.

Inconsistent managerial maneuvers to say the least.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from SFBostonFan. Show SFBostonFan's posts

Because if Dempster had been left in he would have blown the game and we would have lost.

Instead, we won the game and Dempster's confidence is boosted by his good outing.

So Farrell's move had two excellent results.

And you know this for sure how? you cant be serious.

Hes was crusin along at 88 pitches with no signs of trouble, shutting down every jays batter. just had a quick 1-2-3 IP. Taz was an excellent result? Have you seen his numbers vs the jays? sorry, but I very much and respectfully disagree with this whole post 100%.

My post was tongue-in-cheek, southpaw.

I figure if the bashers are allowed to know it was a bad move, I'm allowed to know it was a good move.

And I'm not including you as a basher, you're far from it.

Ok, sorry for the misunderstanding.

[/QUOTE]

=====================================

I'm being tongue-and-cheek too perhaps. I find that humor is a good tonic when I'm depressed after a loss like last night !!!

In retrospect, ala a Monday morning quarterback, we'd been better off if the Ump had tossed Dempster out after the plunking !!!