Why the infatuation of John Farrell??

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Soxdog67. Show Soxdog67's posts

Why the infatuation of John Farrell??

I'd like Ben Cherington, hopefully he's making the manager decision, to explain what his infatuation with John Farrell is and why? I don't get it!

I would love to give a guy like Brad Ausmus or Tony Pena a shot...fresh guys with fresh ideas for how to manage a ballclub.

How much do the Sox players really respect Farrell? What has he done in Toronto to convince anyone he'll be a better manager than the other 4 guys they interviewed...plus we have to pay compensation for him which kills me!

Ben, just let it go...in 3 years if Ausmus doesn't cut it, Farrell will be out there to give him his shot...since I bet NO OTHER TEAM would hire him as a manager if he got canned by Toronto.

Please Red Sox can we just hire a  manager who is AVAILABLE...please?

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

Re: Why the infatuation of John Farrell??

JF is a known commodity and BC has a comfort level and trust with him.

He will most likely bring coaches with him from Toronto.

He will bring knowledge of a divisional rival esp. the pitchers and may be able to teach our pitchers how to pitch to Bat, Encar and Lawrie.

He knows what to expect from the city and the media.

He's not my choice because I have this sick feeling we're going to give up pitching that I want to see pitch for the Sox--especially Rubby, Barnes and Webster--I'd give them Lester before one of those three.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from donrd4. Show donrd4's posts

In response to Soxdog67's comment:

I'd like Ben Cherington, hopefully he's making the manager decision, to explain what his infatuation with John Farrell is and why? I don't get it!

I would love to give a guy like Brad Ausmus or Tony Pena a shot...fresh guys with fresh ideas for how to manage a ballclub.

How much do the Sox players really respect Farrell? What has he done in Toronto to convince anyone he'll be a better manager than the other 4 guys they interviewed...plus we have to pay compensation for him which kills me!

Ben, just let it go...in 3 years if Ausmus doesn't cut it, Farrell will be out there to give him his shot...since I bet NO OTHER TEAM would hire him as a manager if he got canned by Toronto.

Please Red Sox can we just hire a  manager who is AVAILABLE...please?

Why not John Farrell ... Ijust don't get it? Who is the perfect guy? Let us all know.Thats why one poster on here said why can't REDSOX be like ST Louis?It's no brains like you who already have all the answersD.

5. This post has been removed.

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

If there were message boards back then, the original post would likely have been written, just substituting names, when:

-- The Yankees hired Joe Torre in 1996.

-- The Patriots hired Bill Belichick in 2000.

-- The Red Sox hired Terry Francona in 2004.

-- The Boston Celtics hired Doc Rivers in 2004.

I'm sure there are plenty of other examples.

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

zac

There was compensation for Belichick and there were a lot of Patriots fans who didn't understand that infactuation. And even if the others had no compensation, many fans didn't like those hires because of the previous stints each had, yet they all worked out great.

My bigger point, however, that is stupid IMO to look at the W-L record of a manager in one stint to determine how good a manager will be in a new situation. First, it is more about the players, but even more, managers, like all of us, can learn from their mistakes. To me, there's case to be made about having a guy who made some mistakes in his first go around that he can learn from, rather than a new guy.

And beyond that, and this is in general to all candidates, no one on this board can really know who will be a good manager and who won't. We're not in the clubhouse so we don't know what sort of respect he has from the players. We don't see the interaction. Too many fans think they know all about a guy by watching him in a press conference or even worse, just looking at him -- in this case a manager -- sitting in the dugout.

The reason the Sox must be infactuated with Sox is that they've seen him in action, know how he interacts with the players and most importantly, know what kind of baseball mind he has -- things fans have no clue about.

Whether or not it works out -- if Farrell is indeed hired -- remains to be seen.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Soxdog67. Show Soxdog67's posts

In response to donrd4's comment:

Why not John Farrell ... Ijust don't get it? Who is the perfect guy? Let us all know.Thats why one poster on here said why can't REDSOX be like ST Louis?It's no brains like you who already have all the answersD.

NO BRAINS LIKE ME?? Listen Einstein, I have the right to my opinion and Farrell is the opposite of the perfect guy in that opinion...so rather than stooping to name calling why don't you just respond with the reasons why you are infatuated with him...or would that use too many brain cells on your part.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Soxdog67. Show Soxdog67's posts

In response to royf19's comment:

If there were message boards back then, the original post would likely have been written, just substituting names, when:

Were any these guys acquired with compensation going to the former team? So we are talking apples to oranges here.

The Belichick situation was close, but he resigned as Jets coach before taking the Pats job...the fact that it cost the Pats a draft pick was due to the circumstances that tampering had to be involved for Belichick to resign the way he did.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

In response to Soxdog67's comment:

Were any these guys acquired with compensation going to the former team? So we are talking apples to oranges here.

The Belichick situation was close, but he resigned as Jets coach before taking the Pats job...the fact that it cost the Pats a draft pick was due to the circumstances that tampering had to be involved for Belichick to resign the way he did.

Did you read my response to zac?

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Now that I know Mike Aviles will be the compensation for Farrell, I have no issue with it. I was leaning towards the other candidates, which imo all wouldve done a fine job, than Farrell due to the thought of giving up a top prospect. And Ive also heard that Adam Lind would be the player we recieve...

I now have gained more faith in Ben as a GM. Good work!!!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Soxdog67. Show Soxdog67's posts

Did you read my response to zac?

Sorry roy, it's all moot now as John boy is apparently the Sox new manager!

16. This post has been removed.

Sections
Shortcuts