Why the Red Sox only need enough pitching to get to July

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

Re: Why the Red Sox only need enough pitching to get to July

In response to "Why the Red Sox only need enough pitching to get to July":
    The Red Sox shouldn't feel pressured to answer the Yankees ' pitching acquisitions immediately, says Brian MacPherson of the Providence Journal , arguing that plenty of new trade candidates could emerge by July's trade deadline. Posted by 2004Idiots
    Maybe, but by then we could be out of PS contention.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from UticaClub. Show UticaClub's posts

Pending free agents at the trading deadline

* Scott Baker, on whom the Twins hold a $9.5 million option for 2013;
    * Joe Blanton, who was limited to just 41 1/3 innings by an elbow injury last season;
    * Matt Cain, who could sign a contract extension with the Giants in the meantime;
    * Jorge De La Rosa, who holds an $11 million player option for 2013;
    * Gavin Floyd, on whom the White Sox hold a $9.5 million option for 2013;
    * Zack Greinke, who has a limited no-trade clause in his contract;
    * Cole Hamels, who won't be traded unless the Phillies absolutely collapse;
    * Dan Haren, ditto for the Angels;
    * Tim Hudson, on whom the Braves hold a $9 million team option for 2013;
    * Colby Lewis, who still might be traded this winter if the Rangers sign Yu Darvish;
    * Francisco Liriano, who posted a 5.09 ERA in 134 1/3 innings pitched last season;
    * Shaun Marcum, who has a 3.59 ERA in close to 400 innings pitched in the last two seasons;
    * Brandon McCarthy, who posted a 3.32 ERA in 25 starts last season;
    * Anibal Sanchez, who has a 3.66 ERA in his last 80 starts over the last three seasons;
    * Jake Westbrook, who had a 4.66 ERA for the Cardinals last season.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

Utica---if  these players are what you identify as someone you would like to add--why wait--the wins and losses are just as important in April as Sept. If you feel Cain is someone you would want why wait and get into a bidding war in June then decide he's too expensive. Get your plan in place, do your homework now, and pull the trigger.

If other GM's know you want something the price goes up--right.

Like trading Ells---if teams know he's available now and they have two years of him they may be more likely to trade for him now, especially a contender---it's like I don't really know whether he can help, he may not be as good, we may be out of the race by July. Pull the trigger now. Life is full of surprises

Why would Beane put Gio and Bailey on the market now? Because he knows the market. The smart GM's know when to put guys on the market-now s Ells time if he refuses to sign long term this week.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from AL34. Show AL34's posts

The start we got off to In April ended up hurting us in September. If they had won two more games in April we would not be talking about collapses and Francona would still be managing. Every game is important.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from parhunter1. Show parhunter1's posts

Madmc makes a very good point.  If your game plan is to wait until the July trade deadline to make a move for much needed starting pitching, you are guaranteed to over pay in compensation.  That is not the time for bargains.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from parhunter1. Show parhunter1's posts

One could also argue that with expanded playoff format, there will be more teams in contention, and therfore fewer teams to trade with.  As I recall, even last year in July there were very few teams willing to give up on their seasons.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

WHY ???  THE SEASON WILL BE OVER BY THEN !!!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from UticaClub. Show UticaClub's posts

A lot of your questions are discussed in the article.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from never1954. Show never1954's posts

Is it that some of our possible trade pieces may up their trade value by then?  Seems to me that the RS are waging the 2nd half of the season on what ifs.  Not a real good way to go about business IMO.  The trade pieces we have are known commodities and a move should be able to get done.  Don't ask me who for who because I don't know availabilities or specific needs for other teams but someone smarter than me must.  My guess is that most on this board have a better understanding than me.  I guess my point is that if someone is worth getting at the deadline, why not try to accomplish that now? 

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

In Response to Re: Why the Red Sox only need enough pitching to get to July:
    A lot of your questions are discussed in the article.
    Posted by UticaClub

With all due respect, what the article fails to address is the player or players the Red Sox could offer in a trade at the deadline.

Pitching is always a coveted commodity at the trade deadline and the Sox might have problems making a competitive offer.

Whom could the Red Sox offer for Matt Cain, Zack Greinke or Gavin Floyd?

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from UticaClub. Show UticaClub's posts

Is it that some of our possible trade pieces may up their trade value by then?  Seems to me that the RS are waging the 2nd half of the season on what ifs.  Not a real good way to go about business IMO.  The trade pieces we have are known commodities and a move should be able to get done.  Don't ask me who for who because I don't know availabilities or specific needs for other teams but someone smarter than me must.  My guess is that most on this board have a better understanding than me.  I guess my point is that if someone is worth getting at the deadline, why not try to accomplish that now? 
    Posted by never1954

At the deadline, many teams will feel like they are out of the wildcard race and will be anxious to unload pending free agents since they will be gone anyway after the end of the season. Teams still in the race will give up players to obtain said FA as a two month rental. The two month salary will be much more affordable than a six month salary especially for a team worrying about the luxury tax ( Red Sox).

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Pending free agents at the trading deadline * Scott Baker , on whom the Twins hold a $9.5 million option for 2013; * Joe Blanton , who was limited to just 41 1/3 innings by an elbow injury last season; * Matt Cain , who could sign a contract extension with the Giants in the meantime; * Jorge De La Rosa , who holds an $11 million player option for 2013; * Gavin Floyd , on whom the White Sox hold a $9.5 million option for 2013; * Zack Greinke , who has a limited no-trade clause in his contract; * Cole Hamels , who won't be traded unless the Phillies absolutely collapse; * Dan Haren , ditto for the Angels; * Tim Hudson , on whom the Braves hold a $9 million team option for 2013; * Colby Lewis , who still might be traded this winter if the Rangers sign Yu Darvish; * Francisco Liriano , who posted a 5.09 ERA in 134 1/3 innings pitched last season; * Shaun Marcum , who has a 3.59 ERA in close to 400 innings pitched in the last two seasons; * Brandon McCarthy , who posted a 3.32 ERA in 25 starts last season; * Anibal Sanchez , who has a 3.66 ERA in his last 80 starts over the last three seasons; * Jake Westbrook , who had a 4.66 ERA for the Cardinals last season.
    Posted by UticaClub

Nice post. I much prefer these types of posts than some of your troll-hunting ones.

Very informative... thanks!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Utica---if  these players are what you identify as someone you would like to add--why wait--the wins and losses are just as important in April as Sept. If you feel Cain is someone you would want why wait and get into a bidding war in June then decide he's too expensive. Get your plan in place, do your homework now, and pull the trigger. If other GM's know you want something the price goes up--right. Like trading Ells---if teams know he's available now and they have two years of him they may be more likely to trade for him now, especially a contender---it's like I don't really know whether he can help, he may not be as good, we may be out of the race by July. Pull the trigger now. Life is full of surprises Why would Beane put Gio and Bailey on the market now? Because he knows the market. The smart GM's know when to put guys on the market-now s Ells time if he refuses to sign long term this week.
    Posted by MadMc44

Many teams cling to the hope that they might compete in 2012, and so they wait until the deadline to dump salary or deal away FAs to be that they know they will not re-sign.

From what I have heard, teams do not get the draft choices of players they trade for who will become FAs within a year, so that lessens their value somewhat. I wonder if we might see players traded with 1 and 1/2 years left, in order to capitalize on the draft choice value. For example, if the Sox traded for Gavin Floyd in July, they'd get draft picks after 2013, if he walked.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxKimmi. Show RedSoxKimmi's posts

In Response to Why the Red Sox only need enough pitching to get to July:
    The Red Sox shouldn't feel pressured to answer the Yankees ' pitching acquisitions immediately, says Brian MacPherson of the Providence Journal , arguing that plenty of new trade candidates could emerge by July's trade deadline.
    Posted by 2004Idiots

I agree with the idea in principle.  I think the Red Sox have enough pieces, as constructed, to be a legitimate playoff contender, at least until midseason.  However, one major early season injury or early ineffectiveness by any of the projected starters, and we would not have much to fall back on.  In other words, as our staff stands now, we would pretty much need all the pitchers to stay healthy and pitch to expectations for us to stay in the race.  That's a big if to bank your season on.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In Response to Re: Why the Red Sox only need enough pitching to get to July : With all due respect, what the article fails to address is the player or players the Red Sox could offer in a trade at the deadline. Pitching is always a coveted commodity at the trade deadline and the Sox might have problems making a competitive offer. Whom could the Red Sox offer for Matt Cain, Zack Greinke or Gavin Floyd?
    Posted by hill55

I'd deal Middlebrooks before his stock falls (my own gut feeling). I think Ceccinhi and Bogaerts may both end up as better 3B options to replace youk after 2013 anyways.

I'd also trade Ranaudo and others with Middlebrooks, but only if we can extend the contract of the "ace" we get.

I'd prefer to play Iggy at SS this year, but if we aren't going to play him, I'd be OK with trading him. Finding low cost great fielding SSs who can't hit is not hard to do. I'd also look at trading Salty or Scutty to free up room for Iggy and Lava. (Maybe a 3-way deal)

18. This post has been removed.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from phxvlsoxfan. Show phxvlsoxfan's posts

Any of the few worth it on this list will cost top prospects that we either do not have or should not give up.  If Ben is willing to part with the few bluechippers, Garza will be in the rotation on opening day.  Our main July emergency policy is named DiceK, like it or not.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from UticaClub. Show UticaClub's posts

In Response to Re: Why the Red Sox only need enough pitching to get to July : here the link with the rest of the article that I'm sure pike meant to mention http://www.providencejournal.com/sports/red-sox/content/Red_Sox_pitching_staff_01-16-12_SRSM69V_v2.17028ed.html
    Posted by pinstripezac

What is wrong with you? The Mcpherson link ( full article)  is part of the OP. There was no need for me to repost that link. You obviously didn't read the OP link. I merely posted an excerpt from it that I thought would get the thread moving since it was stagnant.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

theo actually had a great record of deadline trades...much better than his hot stove signings....but it would be nice to go into spring training with all pistons pumping...the days of starting off slow and shrugging our shoulders until June is over...our league is too competitive now...sign oswalt now and get some young arms for beckett...and that money saved can get us one of these deadline studs if we need them.....or move Youk now....how come I get the feeling BenC is scowering the dumpster???

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from UticaClub. Show UticaClub's posts

theo actually had a great record of deadline trades...much better than his hot stove signings....but it would be nice to go into spring training with all pistons pumping...the days of starting off slow and shrugging our shoulders until June is over...our league is too competitive now...sign oswalt now and get some young arms for beckett...and that money saved can get us one of these deadline studs if we need them.....or move Youk now....how come I get the feeling BenC is scowering the dumpster???
    Posted by georom4

Has anyone that you have read outside of forums / blogs suggested trading Beckett?

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from JB-3. Show JB-3's posts

One could also argue that with expanded playoff format, there will be more teams in contention, and therfore fewer teams to trade with.  As I recall, even last year in July there were very few teams willing to give up on their seasons.
    Posted by parhunter1

The expanded format isn't scheduled to take place until 2013.  MLB has the option to do it in 2012, but will need to work out the scheduling by the end of March, which isn't something they have decided to do yet.

There is 1 other reason that we could attempt to make due with our starters until July.  We have a healthy DiceK scheduled to come back to help the MLB roster then.  A healthy Dice pitching for a contract should certainly help.  Ideally, he'll take over Bard's spot in the rotation so we can monitor Bard's innings.  Of course to do that, we need someone to take control of the #4/#5 spot in the rotation.  

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from DirtyWaterLover. Show DirtyWaterLover's posts

That strategy certainly worked last year.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from JB-3. Show JB-3's posts

how come I get the feeling BenC is scowering the dumpster???
    Posted by georom4

Because he isn't getting the blank checks that Epstein had.  You don't trade away your best starter from the previous season, who's on a decent contract when your biggest concern is starting pitching.  Unless of course, you're looking to go into a rebuilding, which doesn't make sense when we could be losing 3 vital parts of our offense in the next 2 years (Ells, Youk, Papi).

Sections
Shortcuts