Why the steal attempt?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxNationCT. Show SoxNationCT's posts

Why the steal attempt?

In the bottom of the sixth with one out, Pedroia at bat, arguably the team's best bat handler,and Ellsbury and Scutaro at first and third respectively, why did Ellsbury essentially kill the inning by getting thrown out attempting to steal second?  Gonzo bailed him out by tying the game later in the inning, but it seemed as if a rally was starting the way the inning was set up.  I am not a big second guesser, but in this case....

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

Re: Why the steal attempt?

this is one of those plays where you can argue it either way.

Ellsbury has been thrown out 10 times this year, a little high for him but 3 of those where blown calls and he's been picked off on a couple perfect bullets but still he leads the A.L. in stolen bases.  If he takes the bag he takes away the double play.....

If Pedey hits into a double play then we have people in here complaing about why Ellsbury wasn't running (which he's been doing a lot less of lately)

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

What we don't know is if they had a hit and run on? Which opens up the hole on the right side for Pedrioa with the second baseman covering...With Ell's running If Pedrioa had put the ball in play to the right side and or found a gap we score two and at worst we have a run in and runners on the corners...

If Ells had a green light and it was a straight steal, and he just didn't get a good jump, it was a case of his being aggressive and putting pressure on the catcher to make a strong throw to get him.

After Pedrioa walked, we still had the makings of big inning with 1st & 3rd with the middle of the order due up and Latos on fumes...

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

Love the idea of Elles stealing second.... however I expected he might be thrown out 10 times on the season... not by all*star break.  

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from JimfromFlorida. Show JimfromFlorida's posts

In Response to Re: Why the steal attempt?:
    [QUOTE]this is one of those plays where you can argue it either way. Ellsbury has been thrown out 10 times this year, a little high for him but 3 of those where blown calls and he's been picked off on a couple perfect bullets but still he leads the A.L. in stolen bases.  If he takes the bag he takes away the double play..... If Pedey hits into a double play then we have people in here complaing about why Ellsbury wasn't running (which he's been doing a lot less of lately)
    Posted by ctredsoxfanhugh[/QUOTE]

AMEN

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from fourrings. Show fourrings's posts

to stay out of the double play

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

With his speed, he has to be the worst base stealer in the league. Pedey is actually better at stealing bases than Ells.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from jimdavis. Show jimdavis's posts

It was a 0-1 pitch and he had been throwing curves and sliders in that count to that point.  He switched and went with the fastball and it was an easy pitch to handle.  Just one of those things...

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from ALaGatorAL. Show ALaGatorAL's posts

In Response to Why the steal attempt?:
    [QUOTE]In the bottom of the sixth with one out, Pedroia at bat, arguably the team's best bat handler,and Ellsbury and Scutaro at first and third respectively, why did Ellsbury essentially kill the inning by getting thrown out attempting to steal second?  Gonzo bailed him out by tying the game later in the inning, but it seemed as if a rally was starting the way the inning was set up.  I am not a big second guesser, but in this case....
    Posted by SoxNationCT[/QUOTE]

The real question I have is Why is Scutaro still at third?? I mean The secondbaseman was rolling around in pain and the SS had to get the ball out of his glove!! Why Ain't Scutaro breaking for the plate when the ball goes through ?? Back on topic... For the most part of the season, Ells has looked awful stealing even though he still leads the league.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxNationCT. Show SoxNationCT's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Why the steal attempt? :  The real question I have is Why is Scutaro still at third?? I mean The secondbaseman was rolling around in pain and the SS had to get the ball out of his glove!! Why Ain't Scutaro breaking for the plate when the ball goes through ?? Back on topic... For the most part of the season, Ells has looked awful stealing even though he still leads the league.
    Posted by ALaGatorAL[/QUOTE]

Gator, good point.  I remember thinking the same thing after the fact.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Never though about that last night..great point ALaGatorAL..I wonder what did happen on that play...

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from ALaGatorAL. Show ALaGatorAL's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Why the steal attempt? : Gator, good point.  I remember thinking the same thing after the fact.
    Posted by SoxNationCT[/QUOTE]

And the best part was Jerry or Don never even brought it up. I was already counting the run when the ball went through and I seen the guy rolling around on the ground !! I was expecting the camera guy to switch to Scutaro crossing the plate but ????? Oh Well !!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from ALaGatorAL. Show ALaGatorAL's posts

[QUOTE]Never though about that last night..great point ALaGatorAL..I wonder what did happen on that play...
    Posted by southpaw777[/QUOTE]

Hard to imagine Ells just taking off without somebody knowing something, especially in that situation. I mean, who throws down to second, trying to get the leading base stealer in the league, with a man on third? Not having Scutaro primed and ready to go falls squarely, once again, on the Third base coach. I can't keep track of how many times this guy has cost us already this season and him getting somebody hurt at the plate is just a matter of time !!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxNationCT. Show SoxNationCT's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Why the steal attempt? :  Hard to imagine Ells just taking off without somebody knowing something, especially in that situation. I mean, who throws down to second, trying to get the leading base stealer in the league, with a man on third? Not having Scutaro primed and ready to go falls squarely, once again, on the Third base coach. I can't keep track of how many times this guy has cost us already this season and him getting somebody hurt at the plate is just a matter of time !!
    Posted by ALaGatorAL[/QUOTE]

Maybe Wendell Kim is looking for a job?  No, we tried and failed at that already.