Why there's no replacing Ortiz

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

Why there's no replacing Ortiz

This is from an Alex Speier article on WEEI.com.I've posted the link so you can read the whole article if you want:

http://fullcount.weei.com/sports/boston/baseball/red-sox/2012/10/25/there-is-no-alternative-to-david-ortiz/

Want to know why the Red Sox and David Ortiz are steamrolling so simply towards an agreement on a contract? The answer is simple. He verges on irreplaceable, and his body of work in the batter’s box continues to make him a relative bargain on a two-year deal.

At the time of his Achilles injury early in the second half, Ortiz was amidst one of the finest — indeed, potentially the best — season of his career. In 90 games this year, he hit .318 with a .415 OBP, .611 slugging mark and 1.026 OPS along with 23 homers, 26 doubles and 60 RBI. He was on pace for ridiculous totals, with 162-game projections of 41 homers, 47 doubles.

By way of comparison, here’s what Tigers superstar Miguel Cabreradid this year: 161 games, .330 average, .393 OBP, .606 slugging, .999 OPS, 44 homers, 40 doubles. In other words, if one embraces OBP and slugging as better indicators of player performance than average, homers and RBIs, Ortiz was having a better year than the man who won the first Triple Crown since Carl Yastrzemski. Moreover, given that Ortiz tends to see power surges in the second half, there’s a fighting chance that, had opponents continued to pitch to him (it’s questionable whether he’d have seen a strike after the Dodgers blockbuster), Cabrera wouldn’t have won the Triple Crown

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from susan250. Show susan250's posts

Re: Why there's no replacing Ortiz

I am hoping that Ortiz has a great season next year.  Even if he doesn't, he is one of the few Red Sox players that should retire with the Red Sox.  Without him and Manny we might have never won the World Series.  

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoUconn13. Show GoUconn13's posts

I agree he is irreplaceable, but now he suddenly have achilles problem.  That is not a good injury to have cuz it could be ongoing problem in the future especially Papi is 38 years old or a career threatening injury.

That is why Boston may have a good excuse telling him that they rather to sign him just for one year with an option year.

Boston had enough players on DL last year, and rather not to see anyone on the DL for the next season!!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from slasher9. Show slasher9's posts

5 years @ $50MM. 

ask me if i care that no one else would offer more than 1 year.

psssst:  my answer would be "no"

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

The Ortiz of 2012, when he was healthy, is irreplaceable. Who knows what kind of Ortiz we will get next year or the year after that. One thing is for certain: eventually he WILL have to be replaced as his age catches up to him and his productivity falls. At his age he should be on a year to year contract. If he does well, he gets one more year. I don't much care about what the team "owes him"...they owe him a big thanks and thats all. Winning is the only thing that is important.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnchiladaT. Show EnchiladaT's posts

OMG OMG what we will we ever do once his new deal expires and he retires? Irreplaceable? OMG OMG what will become of us all.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

I will just watch how georom handles Bobby Valentine's "retirement" and see if I can learn a coping mechanism or two there...

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from ma6dragon9. Show ma6dragon9's posts

I agree.

They'll never again find a guy who complains about money for FOUR YEARS and still has people backing him.

He's certainly one-of-a-kind.

He's so irreplacable it's widely agreed that no other team would offer more than a single year, and not even 10mil for that year.

He's so irreplacable most other AL teams have minimized the value of the DH in general.

I mean, who else would we have to then barge in on press conferences because of personal stats? Publicly question the manager's decisions? Talk about money? And years? And respect? Talk about "not wanting to deal with the drama", and possible "playing for NY" hours after the worst collapse in team history? Bristle whenever the media questions his bad play? And then expect adulation when he plays well? It must be impossible to pay another guy to perform who has ZERO leadership qualities. No, wait, they just traded Adrian Gonzalez away. And to those of you who think he IS a leader...where's that been? When? With who? The only person he's publicly supported in 3 years has been Aceves, who turned out to be one of the biggest a s s holes on the team. Awesome.

Before Ortiz got hurt...the TEAM was on pace for...what? 75 wins? OoOoOoOoOo!

If you want to continue to focus on the wrong things, and middle away...sure, sign him up!

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

In response to ma6dragon9's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I agree.

They'll never again find a guy who complains about money for FOUR YEARS and still has people backing him.

He's so irreplacable it's widely agreed that no other team would offer more than a single year, and not even 10mil for that year.

He's so irreplacable most other AL teams have minimized the value of the DH in general.

I mean, who else would we have to then barge in on press conferences because of personal stats? Publicly question the manager's decisions? Talk about money? And years? And respect? Talk about "not wanting to deal with the drama", and possible "playing for NY" hours after the worst collapse in team history? Bristle whenever the media questions his bad play? And then expect adulation when he plays well? It must be impossible to pay another guy to perform who has ZERO leadership qualities. No, wait, they just traded Adrian Gonzalez away. And to those of you who think he IS a leader...where's that been? When? With who? The only person he's publicly supported in 3 years has been Aceves, who turned out to be one of the biggest a s s holes on the team. Awesome.

If you want to continue to focus on the wrong things, and middle away...sure, sign him up!

[/QUOTE]

lol...this was an epic bootlicker beatdown...thanks for the reality check...

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

dragon loves to hear himself say the same things over and over.  He specializes in 200-word rants on the evils of our money-grubbing owners and David Ortiz.  He's a little lacking in objectivity.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from ma6dragon9. Show ma6dragon9's posts

In response to Hfxsoxnut's comment:
    [QUOTE]

dragon loves to hear himself say the same things over and over.  He specializes in 200-word rants on the evils of our money-grubbing owners and David Ortiz.  He's a little lacking in objectivity.

[/QUOTE]

You know...I agree with most of this.

Except: I don't love hearing myself say the same thing over and over. It's frustrating. I don't start any of these threads, I respond to them. Time and again. As long as these misguided (in my opinion) threads start, I'll continue to repeat what I've been saying for a few years.

Also, you forgot to add my desire to trade Ellsbury, which may predate either of the other two points.

I am lacking in objectivity. But, I do try to rely on facts and stats rather than my simply feelings. Nothing I wrote above is untrue, but many people seemingly want to just ignore it all, and I can't understand why.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from ma6dragon9. Show ma6dragon9's posts

In response to wallyisdead's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

I agree.

[/QUOTE]

You whine alot worse than Ortiz.

[/QUOTE]

And you offer as much insight as a cracker. An unsalted one at that. And not one of those fancy ones...we're talking unsalted-saltine here...which I guess makes you simply an "ine". You're perfect for those too sick or old to be able to stomach anything else. Congrats.

14. This post has been removed.

15. This post has been removed.

16. This post has been removed.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnchiladaT. Show EnchiladaT's posts

Amazing many of you cry out about how Ortiz deserves two years because of his legacy here..... what bout last year? How many cried that he got only one year? Answer: None.

Now he wants two years and you all act like a crime is being committed if he does not get it.

18. This post has been removed.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnchiladaT. Show EnchiladaT's posts

I prefer Yonkersman .... can u bring him back?

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

In response to EnchiladaT's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Amazing many of you cry out about how Ortiz deserves two years because of his legacy here..... what bout last year? How many cried that he got only one year? Answer: None.

Now he wants two years and you all act like a crime is being committed if he does not get it.

[/QUOTE]

Not quite true amigo. I was a pretty loud advocate of giving the big man 2 years last off season, same as this off season.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

[QUOTE]

In response to Hfxsoxnut's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

You know...I agree with most of this.

Except: I don't love hearing myself say the same thing over and over. It's frustrating. I don't start any of these threads, I respond to them. Time and again. As long as these misguided (in my opinion) threads start, I'll continue to repeat what I've been saying for a few years.

Also, you forgot to add my desire to trade Ellsbury, which may predate either of the other two points.

I am lacking in objectivity. But, I do try to rely on facts and stats rather than my simply feelings. Nothing I wrote above is untrue, but many people seemingly want to just ignore it all, and I can't understand why.

[/QUOTE]

What I can't understand is if you're so smart and so insightful, why isn't everyone in this forum lining up to get on the ma6dragon9 bandwagon? You do seem to know football pretty well though, I'll give you that.

22. This post has been removed.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnchiladaT. Show EnchiladaT's posts

Isn't Jackbu a menu selection at Bugaboo Creek or Outback?

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

In response to Calzone65's comment:
    [QUOTE]

One thing that we can agree on is that JackBU and Dragon personally hate Ortiz so much that they will volunteer to drive Papi to Logan airport to facillitate his departure. The forum needs a small group of haters because that is what stirs the pot and makes this place entertaining. It's entertaining for folks like Carnie who admits that he is somewhat sadistic in watching the trolls annoy their prey. Lots of fun.

[/QUOTE]

Unlike you pike, who gets off on lecturing everyone else on how they should behave if they're real Red Sox fans. And FTR I'm through being civil to you. I tried that the other night and I can see now it had zero impact. Not that I expected anything different.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

In response to EnchiladaT's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Isn't Jackbu a menu selection at Bugaboo Creek or Outback?

[/QUOTE]

I think it might be a croc dish.

Sections
Shortcuts