Why Was Lars Batting in the 9th?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from PetesCall. Show PetesCall's posts

Why Was Lars Batting in the 9th?

Clueless decision.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

Re: Why Was Lars Batting in the 9th?

Because he hasn't proven he can hit major league pitching? Talk about clueless...

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasko2248. Show jasko2248's posts

In response to "Why Was Lars Batting in the 9th?": [QUOTE]Clueless decision. Posted by PetesCall[/QUOTE] A manager looks at match-ups and goes with what they feel is best option. If he pinch hits D-mac to face the lefty, Oakland brings in a righty. Now you have a really bad match up, especially when you consider how freezing it was.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

Looked to me that he was going to catch a cab down 95 to 3A Pawtucket !!!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

... as opposed to?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from candre99. Show candre99's posts

In Response to Re: Why Was Lars Batting in the 9th?:
    [QUOTE]In response to "Why Was Lars Batting in the 9th?": A manager looks at match-ups and goes with what they feel is best option. If he pinch hits D-mac to face the lefty, Oakland brings in a righty. Now you have a really bad match up, especially when you consider how freezing it was.
    Posted by jasko2248[/QUOTE]

i think d-mac already had batted.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasko2248. Show jasko2248's posts

In response to "Re: Why Was Lars Batting in the 9th?": [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Why Was Lars Batting in the 9th? : i think d-mac already had batted. Posted by candre99[/QUOTE] Just used an example...was just trying to explain that's its about getting what you feel is best matchup

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from illinoisredsox. Show illinoisredsox's posts

[QUOTE]In response to "Why Was Lars Batting in the 9th?": A manager looks at match-ups and goes with what they feel is best option. If he pinch hits D-mac to face the lefty, Oakland brings in a righty. Now you have a really bad match up, especially when you consider how freezing it was.
    Posted by jasko2248[/QUOTE]

DMac was announced for Sweeney in the 7th.  When the A's brought in a right hander, Anderson hit for DMac.  The choice in the 9th was Anderson or Shoppach.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from harv53. Show harv53's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Why Was Lars Batting in the 9th? : DMac was announced for Sweeney in the 7th.  When the A's brought in a right hander, Anderson hit for DMac.  The choice in the 9th was Anderson or Shoppach.
    Posted by illinoisredsox[/QUOTE]

Who would have played LF if the Sox tied the game and went extras?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from illinoisredsox. Show illinoisredsox's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Why Was Lars Batting in the 9th? : Who would have played LF if the Sox tied the game and went extras?
    Posted by harv53[/QUOTE]

If they had used Shoppach to PH for Anderson, my guess would be Aviles would have gone to the OF somewhere and Iglesias would have taken over at SS.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

In Response to Why Was Lars Batting in the 9th?:
    [QUOTE]Clueless decision.
    Posted by PetesCall[/QUOTE]

Certainly I was not thrilled to see Lars come up in that situation.  But, can you tell me what the alternative was?  Kelly Shoppach?  It was a tough spot, but to say it was a clueless decision is, well, clueless.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

The best thing would have been to leave DMac in when Oakland went to the righty. As it was , I would not have used Shoppach to hit in the 9th. He has been horrible lately and was more of a double play candidate than Lars. A double play prevents Pedroia from getting a shot. Pedroia was our best hope in that situation. The heart of the problem is that we do not have a very good bench. The Sox are obviously showcasing Lars for a trade. I would rather see guys like Ciriaco and Linares get a shot.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

[QUOTE]The best thing would have been to leave DMac in when Oakland went to the righty. As it was , I would not have used Shoppach to hit in the 9th. He has been horrible lately and was more of a double play candidate than Lars. A double play prevents Pedroia from getting a shot. Pedroia was our best hope in that situation. The heart of the problem is that we do not have a very good bench. The Sox are obviously showcasing Lars for a trade. I would rather see guys like Ciriaco and Linares get a shot.
    Posted by dgalehouse[/QUOTE]

I don't think that is truly the heart of the problem.  We have a very solid bench.  the problem is they are all being used as starters at the moment.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from slomag. Show slomag's posts

There isn't much drop-off for Anderson against left-handers, and he is a very high OBP guy.  A walk gets the tying run in scoring position for Pedroia - all things considered I'd prefer Anderson to Shoppach in that situation.  

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from JB-3. Show JB-3's posts

In Response to Why Was Lars Batting in the 9th?:
    [QUOTE]Clueless decision.

Because Youk couldn't get loose.  He had been trying to loosen up to pinch hit for Lars.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from PetesCall. Show PetesCall's posts

So...Lars looks awful, we then lose, but the decision was correct because Shoppach would have been worse. And, no one else was available? OK, glad I had one eye on the Celts game last night. That made more sense.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

[QUOTE]So...Lars looks awful, we then lose, but the decision was correct because Shoppach would have been worse. And, no one else was available? OK, glad I had one eye on the Celts game last night. That made more sense.

Celts game was awesome.  Doesn't change the fact that no better options were available in the ninth inning of the red sox game.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

Read the write-up by Peter Abrahams.  Anderson went in earlier when it made sense.  By the 9th, it would have meant using Shoppach as PH, which most managers don't want to do with the spare catcher. 

Anderson struck out, granted, but Pedroia grounded out which would have been a double play ball if Anderson or Shoppach got on. 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from PetesCall. Show PetesCall's posts

Yep...sounds like you're right, but still doesn't make me feel any better watching Lars' wild, panicky swings. We really DO stink right now, don't we?

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Why Was Lars Batting in the 9th? : Celts game was awesome.  Doesn't change the fact that no better options were available in the ninth inning of the red sox game.
    Posted by SpacemanEephus[/QUOTE]

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

[QUOTE]Yep...sounds like you're right, but still doesn't make me feel any better watching Lars' wild, panicky swings. We really DO stink right now, don't we? In Response to Re: Why Was Lars Batting in the 9th? :

no, we don't pete.  we are o.k. and trending upward.  but, lars anderson stinks, yes, absolutely.