Why was Scutaro traded?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

Re: Why was Scutaro traded?

In Response to Re: Why was Scutaro traded?:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Why was Scutaro traded? : They must have at least anticipated the possibility of Ortiz accepting arbitration.  Ortiz's agent would have apprised him of the fact that there were not a lot of teams clamoring for $13 million+ DH's.
    Posted by Hfxsoxnut[/QUOTE]

Possibly. I think that either the Rays or NY would have signed Papi had the Sox not offered Arb, and there was no way one of those teams was going to get him.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasko2248. Show jasko2248's posts

In response to "Re: Why was Scutaro traded?": [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Why was Scutaro traded? : Agree.  I think a Bard to Lowe comparison is far more relevant than Bard to Joba, not b/c of 5 cent heads, heck Lowe had an 10 cent head, but because Bard and Lowe are similar pitchers.  Both have a very smooth easy delivery, which is why I think Lowe transitioned so well and why I feel confident Bard can do the same.  Another, more recent comparison, I would point to is Masterson.  He pitched primarily out of the pen for the Red Sox but went to Cleveland and actually began starting for the Indians mid-season 2009 and since has started 29 and 34 games the last 2 years.  Again, Masterson like Bard, has a smooth fluid motion that with my amateur expertice on pitching mechanics and my medically untrained eye, would seem to be an important precursor to successfully making the transition from bullpen to roation. Posted by Thesemenarecowards[/QUOTE] Excellent post...agreed Lowe was a wild man in Boston, but heard from pretty reliable sources that Joba is something totally different. Bard IS very fluid now, unlike years ago when he started. Masterson as well. He just couldnt get lefties out for a while...

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasko2248. Show jasko2248's posts

In response to "Re: Why was Scutaro traded?": [QUOTE]I am curious about why they traded him too. I did hear Valentine did not like him. I hate when our team acts like paupers and that is the way we have behaved all off season. If this team struggles out of the gate casue of starting pitching, Young Ben is going to have his neck in a chopping block because he could have picked up an additional starter like Jackson or Oswalt. I think our starting pitching is way too thin and if an injury occurrs to the top three guys early, this team is dead. No established Shortstop i another serious worry as well. Posted by AL34[/QUOTE] Do you ever read any other posts besides your own, or do you just see a thread title and run with it?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from lowelll. Show lowelll's posts

Last time that AL34 was happy was after the final out in the 2007 WS and that feeling only lasted ten minutes.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasko2248. Show jasko2248's posts

In response to "Re: Why was Scutaro traded?": [QUOTE]Last time that AL34 was happy was after the final out in the 2007 WS and that feeling only lasted ten minutes. Posted by lowelll[/QUOTE] Lol...I can definitely see that...to each his own I guess

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from mjnmjn. Show mjnmjn's posts

The fact is that every team has to have an off year or two to reload. Fortunately for us, the Red Sox, like the Yankees and a few other teams, have the luxury to be decent teams when they reload (sort of like "bridge year"). This year, I am going in with no expectations whatsoever. If they finish third, oh well. They will be competitive, they will make some great plays and have big hits, and they will suck at times. Just the nature of the game. If they over achieve and finish in the playoffs, or (God forbid) win the WS, that's great. This year I am looking forward to the various celebrations of Fenway 100, and enjoying the season with no stress.

I will just watch the games and hope for the best. If all (or some) of the moves they made work out; so much the better.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

[QUOTE]The fact is that every team has to have an off year or two to reload. Fortunately for us, the Red Sox, like the Yankees and a few other teams, have the luxury to be decent teams when they reload (sort of like "bridge year"). This year, I am going in with no expectations whatsoever. If they finish third, oh well. They will be competitive, they will make some great plays and have big hits, and they will suck at times. Just the nature of the game. If they over achieve and finish in the playoffs, or (God forbid) win the WS, that's great. This year I am looking forward to the various celebrations of Fenway 100, and enjoying the season with no stress. I will just watch the games and hope for the best. If all (or some) of the moves they made work out; so much the better.
    Posted by mjnmjn[/QUOTE]

Nice.  My new nickname for you is "The Bridge-year Buddha".

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from mjnmjn. Show mjnmjn's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Why was Scutaro traded? : Nice.  My new nickname for you is "The Bridge-year Buddha".
    Posted by SpacemanEephus[/QUOTE]

Thanks, I always wanted a really cool nickname.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Why was Scutaro traded? : Thanks, I always wanted a really cool nickname.
    Posted by mjnmjn[/QUOTE]

Anytime BYB.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Why was Scutaro traded? : Do you have a link to your payroll totals? Trufan saying is "Keeping them honest".
    Posted by lowelll[/QUOTE]

Sure thing.  Here it is.

http://bit.ly/x8Lcdq

The basic breakdown is:

25-man roster approx 167 million
    26-40 men approx 8 million
    Benefits & bonuses approx 12 million
    Total approx 187 million

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Thesemenarecowards. Show Thesemenarecowards's posts

[QUOTE] Why was Scutaro traded? he was hoyers deep throat
    Posted by pinstripezac[/QUOTE]

He had occassional pop but I don't know if I'd call him a deep threat.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

salary, age, some off field stuff, and Iggy in-waiting....lots of reasons why ke mightve been traded...

i just want to see Iggy play at ss....let him play even if he stinks up the 9th batting spot

14. This post has been removed.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from charliedarling. Show charliedarling's posts

trading scutaro got the red sox not only the pitching prospect they got for him, but also salary for ross, aviles, shppach and punto.

so, almost a 5 for 1 deal.  two back up, versatile infielders, right hand hitting outfield with power potential, back up catcher and a "depth" pitcher who will likely be in pawtucket basically for the same money.

great trade figuring that scutaro would not likely repeat his offensive performance from 2011.  classic case of trading a year early instead of a year late with an older guy.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from JimfromFlorida. Show JimfromFlorida's posts

[QUOTE]Scutaro was a payroll dump.  The Sox are well over the LT threshold already.  So trading Scutaro cut 6 million plus 40% tax = 8.4 million.  Obviously they feel they can cover SS with Iggy & Aviles.  And maybe there is something to the rumored friction between BV and Scutaro.
    Posted by Hfxsoxnut[/QUOTE]
    I read some where that if the RS did not get below the LT threshold this year the LT would go up again this year. However by staying below it for just this year they go back to the beginning and the years they were over no longer count.
    It goes from 22% for 1 yr to 30% for 2 yrs to 40% for 3 yrs. So if you have numbers coming off the books at the end of 2012 it will make it easier to sign any FA and not get whacked by the LT.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

Well Scrubtaro wasn't very good though his numbers indicated he was a good SS he had zero range and a wet noodle for an arm! Yes he hit .290 and for a SS that's pretty good but his hits weren't timely so his loss is not really a biggie. As for Aviles,Punto,Iglesias and whatever other carneval act they bring in SS will be solved soon enough as Xander Boegarts can handle the position both offensively and defensively,this is Iggy's chance he better be up to the challange because Xander is charging fast!!!! Aviles and Punto are cheap insurance policies.With MLB experience.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from proftom2. Show proftom2's posts

iggy is more ready than you might think. Sox managment staff weren't born yesterday. By July iggy is the full time guy. He'll have a cople rough starts, recall Dustins MLB start, but he'll take off come July 

Thats how MLB stars ae born 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from slomag. Show slomag's posts

[QUOTE]iggy is more ready than you might think. Sox managment staff weren't born yesterday. By July iggy is the full time guy. He'll have a cople rough starts, recall Dustins MLB start, but he'll take off come July  Thats how MLB stars ae born 
    Posted by proftom2[/QUOTE]

If Iglesias had Pedroia's minor-league numbers, there would be no need for debate.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Well Scrubtaro wasn't very good though his numbers indicated he was a good SS he had zero range 

agree

and a wet noodle for an arm! 

agree

Yes he hit .290 and for a SS that's pretty good 

actually SSs are now hitting about as good as 3Bmen, but .290 is still good.

but his hits weren't timely so his loss is not really a biggie. 

actually he was one of our best clutch hitters, esp against the Yanks in '11.

As for Aviles,Punto,Iglesias and whatever other carneval act they bring in SS will be solved soon enough as Xander Boegarts can handle the position both offensively and defensively,this is Iggy's chance he better be up to the challange because Xander is charging fast!!!! Aviles and Punto are cheap insurance policies.With MLB experience.

Bogi will be our starting 3Bman in 2014... mark my words.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxnewmex. Show soxnewmex's posts

Seems to me Scutoro was an excellent hitter against the main rivals and I remember he took Mariano deep.  So, whatever else you want to say about the guy, an average fielder getting up in years, okay, but I liked him up against the better pitchers in big situations.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from AL34. Show AL34's posts

not a kool aid drinker. Very realistic. Our starting pitching is way too thin especially if one of the top three comes down with an injury like two of them did last year. In response to "Re: Why was Scutaro traded?": [QUOTE]Last time that AL34 was happy was after the final out in the 2007 WS and that feeling only lasted ten minutes. Posted by lowelll[/QUOTE]

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from AL34. Show AL34's posts

I liked him too. he hit Mariano well in two shots last year. In response to "Re: Why was Scutaro traded?": [QUOTE]Seems to me Scutoro was an excellent hitter against the main rivals and I remember he took Mariano deep.  So, whatever else you want to say about the guy, an average fielder getting up in years, okay, but I liked him up against the better pitchers in big situations. Posted by soxnewmex[/QUOTE]

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

[QUOTE]Seems to me Scutoro was an excellent hitter against the main rivals and I remember he took Mariano deep.  So, whatever else you want to say about the guy, an average fielder getting up in years, okay, but I liked him up against the better pitchers in big situations.
    Posted by soxnewmex[/QUOTE]

.345 vs Yanks in 2011 (.863 OPS)
    .188 vs TB (.585)

.387 in Sept (1.019 OPS)

.294 Late & Close (.742) in 2011 / 2010: .284 (.780)
    .306 RISP & 2 Outs

.314 (.800 OPS) High Leverage in 2010

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxnewmex. Show soxnewmex's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Why was Scutaro traded? : .345 vs Yanks in 2011 (.863 OPS) .188 vs TB (.585) .387 in Sept (1.019 OPS) .294 Late & Close (.742) in 2011 / 2010: .284 (.780) .306 RISP & 2 Outs .314 (.800 OPS) High Leverage in 2010
    Posted by moonslav59[/QUOTE]

Thanks Moon; guess he wasn't so hot against the Rays (but who was).  Like that 306 risp & 2outs.

Sections
Shortcuts