Why was Scutaro traded?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

Re: Why was Scutaro traded?

I am glad they traded Scutaro - we need to get younger. Iglesias to short full-time.  

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from donrd4. Show donrd4's posts

In Response to Why was Scutaro traded?:
    [QUOTE]The Sox traded their starting SS and don't really have a contingency plan in place heading into the season, so it begs the question as to why Marco was dealt.  The sox have options at SS, but all come with big question marks, can Iglesias hit over .200?  Are either Aviles or Punto really good enough defensively to be an everyday SS?  1. I think the prevailing thinking at the time was that Marco was dealt so the Sox could add an additional arm and still stay under the luxury tax but that has not happened, maybe it still will and maybe trading Marco was just about $$$.  2. The sox just had to have Clayton Mortenson.  Don't think so. 3.  It has be rumored that Marco was the guy (or 1 of the guys) leaking things to press regarding last years clubhouse issues, so maybe the F.O. thought he should not be brought back. I wasn't a huge fan of Scutaro but he provided a lot more certainty at SS than any of the remaining options, so unless it was just a straight financial decision, I wonder somewhat why the move was made. 
    Posted by Thesemenarecowards[/QUOTE]

He was caught on tape calling in chicken and beer.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from CablesWyndBairn. Show CablesWyndBairn's posts

I think most of us thought it was reason #1, which seemed reasonable even though that arm has yet to materialize.  I am not naive enough to think it's because they think Iglesias is ready to ascend to the big leagues.  He looks to be at least another season away from taking over full time as SS, but maybe they feel like he can hit #9 and figure out his stroke as he goes along.   

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from AL34. Show AL34's posts

The Red Sox could have won another World Series if that time as well if management had kept Johnny Damon in 2006 instead of letting him go and then picking up Coco Crisp who never lived up to expectations and when they were one player away from winning in 2008 they had to get Mark Teixeira signed for the next season for 2009. They would never have had to trade for Victor Martinez and would still have Justin Masterson as well. If you can sign a free agent you do not have to give up a good prospect like Justin Masterson, you do it. This offseason this team needed to make a statement and pick up one starting pitcher and not have to hope the throwaays from other teams come through. bard is no guarantee either. Cherrington fixed the bullpen but they needed a starter from either Jackson, Buerle, or Oswalt. In response to "Re: Why was Scutaro traded?": [QUOTE]Last time that AL34 was happy was after the final out in the 2007 WS and that feeling only lasted ten minutes. Posted by lowelll[/QUOTE]

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

The Red Sox could have won another World Series if that time as well if management had kept Johnny Damon in 2006 instead of letting him go...

To play CF?

If you think Damon would have put up the same offensive numbers in Boston than he did in NY over those years, I think you are wrong.

The Sox did best not to overpay for him, but it was one of the closest "hindisght" no sign decisions Theo made.

Theo was right on Nomar (trade), right on Pedro (injury waiting to happen), right on damon (slightly), and right on JBay. He was wrong on the 1 year extension of Schill. He gave Lowell a year too much. The jury is still out on Beltre and VMart.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

In Response to Re: Why was Scutaro traded?:
    [QUOTE]The Red Sox could have won another World Series if that time as well if management had kept Johnny Damon in 2006 instead of letting him go... To play CF? If you think Damon would have put up the same offensive numbers in Boston than he did in NY over those years, I think you are wrong. The Sox did best not to overpay for him, but it was one of the closest "hindisght" no sign decisions Theo made. Theo was right on Nomar (trade), right on Pedro (injury waiting to happen), right on damon (slightly), and right on JBay. He was wrong on the 1 year extension of Schill. He gave Lowell a year too much. The jury is still out on Beltre and VMart.
    Posted by moonslav59[/QUOTE]

True, but neither of those no-signs can be extricated from the Gonzalez' signing. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

agreed, but also with the Papi options as well.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

[QUOTE]Well Scrubtaro wasn't very good though his numbers indicated he was a good SS he had zero range  agree and a wet noodle for an arm!  agree Yes he hit .290 and for a SS that's pretty good  actually SSs are now hitting about as good as 3Bmen, but .290 is still good. but his hits weren't timely so his loss is not really a biggie.  actually he was one of our best clutch hitters, esp against the Yanks in '11. As for Aviles,Punto,Iglesias and whatever other carneval act they bring in SS will be solved soon enough as Xander Boegarts can handle the position both offensively and defensively,this is Iggy's chance he better be up to the challange because Xander is charging fast!!!! Aviles and Punto are cheap insurance policies.With MLB experience. Bogi will be our starting 3Bman in 2014... mark my words.
    Posted by moonslav59[/QUOTE] A first you actually agreed on most of my points this scares me! Xander being the 3rd baseman in 2014,if thats the case what did you do with Middlebrooks and Youkilis? Just curious because last I checked youk's contract runs through 2013 and Middlebrooks is the highest ranking Red Sox prospect.

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Why was Scutaro traded? : A first you actually agreed on most of my points this scares me! Xander being the 3rd baseman in 2014,if thats the case what did you do with Middlebrooks and Youkilis? Just curious because last I checked youk's contract runs through 2013 and Middlebrooks is the highest ranking Red Sox prospect.
    Posted by sportsbozo1[/QUOTE]

Youk is easy: he walks after 2013 (or even after this year if we say no to the option) or he extends as a DH.

Middlebrooks may very well be the starting 3Bman in 2014 (or 2103 if Youk walks this winter). However, my opinion is that both Bogaerts and Cecchini will be better than Middlebrooks by year end. I also like Iggy to win the SS job this year and force the move of Bogaerts to 3B if he is to play for the big team. (I aslo think Coyle might end up being better than Middlebrooks as a 3B option 2 years from now.)

If I am right, Middlebrooks will be traded. I was hoping we'd do it now: 
    Middlebrooks, Tejada, and Bowden for Floyd.

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

"Great move"? who said "great"?
    After Gonzo signed quickly, it wasn't a bad move. We ended up getting Mortensen and room on the budget after 2 decent years overall. Not great: not bad.