Why won't Francoma use Dan Wheeler????

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from xmen. Show xmen's posts

Why won't Francoma use Dan Wheeler????

Dan Wheeler as been pitching lights out the past month,so why don't Francoma pitch him in the 7th.He rather pitch M.Albers who can't get anybody out anymore,or he pitches D. Bard who is the 8th inning pitcher,who has trouble pitching both the 7th and 8th.Bards much better when he starts the 8th as a clean inning.Last night Francoma could see Aceves did'nt have it,so after he got out of the 6th he sends him out for the 7th.D. Wheeler should have pitched the 7th,Bard pitches the 8th [clean inning].Paps pitches the 9th.Give Wheeler a chance he has been great the last month or so.Thats why I always say Francoma cannot handle a pitching staff,they win in spite of him.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from attic-dan. Show attic-dan's posts

Re: Why won't Francoma use Dan Wheeler????

For some reason Francona has no faith in him. I agree lastest outings shows he should be given a chance as another option for 7th inning.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from S0ftl@w. Show S0ftl@w's posts

Harness says Wheeler's numbers mean nothing because he''s terrible in close games. Harness all says Varitek has magic fingers and Red Sox OF should be all lefty. Varitek's magic fingers were not working tonight.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

Wheeler should be in the clutch mix--go with the hot guys until you clinch a spot .
    Aceves, Wheeler, Bard, Pap should be the final four for now. I would go with Morales over Felix until one or the other shows me different. Wake for long and a spot start. Matt may have been overworked---too many two inning appearances.

These next three weeks amounts to pitching pre playoff competition--
    The starters 3 only: Beck, Lester, Bedard/Lackey
    The pen 7 only: Pap, Bard, Aceves, Wheeler, Bedard/Lackey/Wake, Morales, Felix, Matt, Miller in that order. Matt has 3 weeks to get rested and contribute as he did early. I hate to say it but it's possible Matt, Morales, Miller and Bedard may not be playoff pitchers. I'd like to see more of Felix in the next three weeks

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

I don't like the Francoma stuff, but it's a legit question.  Not sure why we're not seeing a bit more of Wheeler.  I think it's time to see what he can do in the 7th/8th inning, especially with Aceves having logged so many innings. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Diamondtalk. Show Diamondtalk's posts

Francona is being cautious with Wheeler thinking he'll need him more in the playoffs so he keeps sending Albers out there to get shellacked.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

Using Wheeler, who is pitching well these days, last night would have been a waste.

Bard leads the AL in holds and is still the best option before the 9th.  The problem Thursday night was that Lester only went 5 plus the Sox only had a 1 run lead (2-1).  Sending Aceves in to pitch the 6th made sense, ditto the 7th, but, when he got into trouble, Bard was the right choice.  Two quick strikes from sliders, then Martin started fouling pitches, mostly fast balls, off until he got his timing and a pitch he could hit.  Great at bat by Martin, hardly a bad call by Francona.  I thought Bard's third pitch should have been another slider because Martin absolutely could not hit it. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from AL34. Show AL34's posts

I posted this on game matchup on Thursday night when I Aceves looked shakey in the 6th inning. I was shocked to see him come out there for the 7th inning. But Wheeler was available for the 9th inning which I cannot understand. I sometimes rarely undersatnd Francona's moves and this has been one of them.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

In Response to Re: Why won't Francoma use Dan Wheeler????:
    [QUOTE]Harness says Wheeler's numbers mean nothing because he''s terrible in close games. Harness all says Varitek has magic fingers and Red Sox OF should be all lefty. Varitek's magic fingers were not working tonight.
    Posted by S0ftl@w[/QUOTE]

hear hear
    !

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

[QUOTE]Using Wheeler, who is pitching well these days, last night would have been a waste. Bard leads the AL in holds and is still the best option before the 9th.  The problem Thursday night was that Lester only went 5 plus the Sox only had a 1 run lead (2-1).  Sending Aceves in to pitch the 6th made sense, ditto the 7th, but, when he got into trouble, Bard was the right choice.  Two quick strikes from sliders, then Martin started fouling pitches, mostly fast balls, off until he got his timing and a pitch he could hit.  Great at bat by Martin, hardly a bad call by Francona.  I thought Bard's third pitch should have been another slider because Martin absolutely could not hit it. 
    Posted by maxbialystock[/QUOTE]

I'm not sure where Wheeler would've been the obvious choice.  Last night would've been a waste.  The 4-2 you could've.  Aceves has a shaky 6th, but in the previous 7 outings, he allowed 2 hits and 4 walks in 12.1 IPs.  As well as AA has pitched for us, it's hard to fault him for going back to him.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Why won't Francoma use Dan Wheeler???? : I'm not sure where Wheeler would've been the obvious choice.  Last night would've been a waste.  The 4-2 you could've.  Aceves has a shaky 6th, but in the previous 7 outings, he allowed 2 hits and 4 walks in 12.1 IPs.  As well as AA has pitched for us, it's hard to fault him for going back to him.
    Posted by Joebreidey[/QUOTE]

Joe, I'm not questioning Tito's moves in that game.  To me this is more of a general question.  Wheeler has been putting up excellent numbers for a couple of months now.  But for the season he only has 14 'high-leverage' plate appearances out of 183.  I think it's time for Tito to use him in some of those high-leverage spots, to see how he does and also to give Aceves a bit more rest.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

Wheeler and Albers have done a reverse job this season in effectiveness... albers up Wheeler down and at the moment it is wheeler up and Albers down, Tito should use Dan more

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

[QUOTE]I don't like the Francoma stuff, but it's a legit question.  Not sure why we're not seeing a bit more of Wheeler.  I think it's time to see what he can do in the 7th/8th inning, especially with Aceves having logged so many innings. 
    Posted by Hfxsoxnut[/QUOTE]

It's partly to do with matchups. Wheeler's struggles with lefties and since coming off the DL he's been relegated to a one inning guy...

Wheelers splits
    Right / LeftABRH2B3BHRRBIBBHBPSOSBCSAVGOBPSLGOPS
    vs. Left6691950211601210.288.347.455.802
    vs. Right108102150411202502.194.209.352.561

Albers splits basically a more durable version of Wheeler (or expendable?)

vs. Left891825804171312141.281.371.506.877
    vs. Right124122930191323312.234.317.282.599

Aceves split's show why he the bridge to Bard & Paplebon...

vs. Left1451427802131563320.186.287.283.570
    vs. Right18520411304181952830.222.311.357.668

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Why won't Francoma use Dan Wheeler???? : Joe, I'm not questioning Tito's moves in that game.  To me this is more of a general question.  Wheeler has been putting up excellent numbers for a couple of months now.  But for the season he only has 14 'high-leverage' plate appearances out of 183.  I think it's time for Tito to use him in some of those high-leverage spots, to see how he does and also to give Aceves a bit more rest.
    Posted by Hfxsoxnut[/QUOTE]

Just a couple of thoughts.

The first is that Wheeler started off badly.  It was going to take a while before he earned any trust.  Arbitrarily, let's say that is mid-June.  Until august 1st, albers was lights-out, so Wheeler was 4/5th on the list irt leverage.  It would be Paps, Bard, Aceves, Albers, working backwards.  That's just not a lot of opportunities.  He could only move up when the top-4 were deemed unavailable.

But irt Aceves, I agree.  But this will run counter to those that want to win the title at all costs.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Why won't Francoma use Dan Wheeler???? : I'm not sure where Wheeler would've been the obvious choice.  Last night would've been a waste.  The 4-2 you could've.  Aceves has a shaky 6th, but in the previous 7 outings, he allowed 2 hits and 4 walks in 12.1 IPs.  As well as AA has pitched for us, it's hard to fault him for going back to him.
    Posted by Joebreidey[/QUOTE]

Baseballs a game of inch's if I coulda, shoulda's, woulda's...to illistrate that in the 7th Aceves made some pretty good pitches to Jones, just couldn't put him away and if you watched the at bat he took a pitch low and away and thought he was wrung up, and when blue called it a ball he said WOW...Aceves also threw and couple of fastball to Montero that he didn't get the call on and the one that hit him might have grazed his uniform.

Bard facing Martin had him struke out twice, but again blue wasn't giving them the low strike or the outside corner...Hence a game of inches...Martin deserves credit for squaring up a 97 MPH fastball but the reality is he never should have had the chance...as for the pitch selection... I was fine with the fastball, just not the location, if you remember, martin had hit a couple foul down the RF line so he was clearly looking away (fouling off sliders and fastballs) he never pulled any of them...I think high cheese on the inner half and he can't get the barrel on it. which is counter to the pitch to the big part of the park late innings relief code...but when you can hump it up there 100 use it!

baseball a game of inches...clearly that is never more evident than when an umpire squeezes a pitcher or gives a pitcher a call when the balls is clearly off the plate.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from boboinfla. Show boboinfla's posts

In Response to Why won't Francoma use Dan Wheeler????:
    [QUOTE]Dan Wheeler as been pitching lights out the past month,so why don't Francoma pitch him in the 7th.He rather pitch M.Albers who can't get anybody out anymore,or he pitches D. Bard who is the 8th inning pitcher,who has trouble pitching both the 7th and 8th.Bards much better when he starts the 8th as a clean inning.Last night Francoma could see Aceves did'nt have it,so after he got out of the 6th he sends him out for the 7th.D. Wheeler should have pitched the 7th,Bard pitches the 8th [clean inning].Paps pitches the 9th.Give Wheeler a chance he has been great the last month or so.Thats why I always say Francoma cannot handle a pitching staff,they win in spite of him.
    Posted by xmen[/QUOTE]

Maybe now you have figured it out

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Wheeler was sharp in his first inning, lit up in his second.  Doesn't necessarily mean he can't be an effective 7th inning guy.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

Wheeler had his chance to pitch himself into Tito's favor and didn't cut it.
    It's possible Tito/Theo simply have more trust in the hard throwing relievers at this point. Thus we have Morales over OKI and Albers over Wheeler.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

Right now it almost doesn't make much difference who gets sent out there.  Except for Pap, they are all getting hit--by the Yankees and Rangers, anyway. 

Wheeler would probably be my pick for the 7th inning, but I very much resent the title of this thread, which suggest that using anyone, even Bard, other than Wheeler in the 7th inning Thursday night was idiotic.  That is just not true. 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

Right now it almost doesn't make much difference who gets sent out there.  Except for Pap, they are all getting hit--by the Yankees and Rangers, anyway.

Not really.  In the 12.1 prior to his last outing, Aceves had allowed -0- and 2 hits, and 0.86 ERA over his last 21 IPs.

In Bard's previous 9.1, he was also at 0.00 with 2 hits and one walk, and his ERA in his previous 37.1 was 0.96.

It can't get to the point where they need to be perfect.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from MikeDizzle. Show MikeDizzle's posts

Well Wheeler let a few runs come in during the blowout against texas, while Albers is burned out and should be shelved till he can hold a small lead, Aceves is the glue to the pen, but Francona sticks with his guys. Personally Wake should be lifted to the pen when Lackey is pitching to get his 200th and let Bedard and Miller slug it out for the 4th spot. As much much as we hate Lackey giving up at least 4 from the fourth on, cuz honestly he is good through 3 most of the time with a few exceptions, you don't sign someone for 5 years and 85 mil and give it to a late deadline trade mate even though we all know it should be done. Miller needs work, and Bedard is a new Wake only eating innings, and until we fully see Buch look good enough to not kill his career,because honesly he could be a huge future starter for years, it will be a question mark past Lester. But look at the rest of the opponents...detroit is verlander then?...new york is cc then maybe nova maybe not he is new and may crumble under pressure in the big stage...texas doesn't really have an ace only a good staff who is burned out and if the offense sizzles out the Sawx sluggers will strike within time. Now I'm sure you don't want to hear it but please someone else besides me thank Crawford for at least partially in a small sense cashing your check with a Grand slam today cuz when i saw him come up I told myself well at least we have a 4 - 3 lead and then...thank you Carl and hopefully this trend keeps up cuz when you struggle through the season but produce when it matters in October we will all forget what was and only remember what good you did when you did the what your team needed to win it all.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

Wheeler is a one inning pitcher as is Morales. To try to get greedy and have them pitch two is putting them in a tough position. You have Aceves, Wake,Albers and Felix that are two or more. Bard and Pap are one each.

Sections
Shortcuts