Why would anyone want to trade Ellsbury now?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from frankn. Show frankn's posts

Why would anyone want to trade Ellsbury now?

Now that we know what a gem we have in Ellsbury, why even talk of trading him?  Even if he walks in the future, the three-headed monster of Els, Agon, and Pedey will make the Sox a powerhouse for the next few years.  With solid contributions from Youk and Papi and hopeful improvement from Crawford and Salty, what a fun team to root for.

We trade him for monetary reasons?  The Sox aren't little sisters of the poor.

we trade him to accomodate Crawford hitting leadoff?  That's ridiculous.  CC does strike out a bit.  Let CC hit sixth or switch CC and Pedey between the 2 and 6 hole depending on a RH or LH starter. Why lose the best leadoff hitter this year in hopes you can replace him with someone who has had a down year.

We trade him because his value is high now?  I'd rather just enjoy his play while his value is high.  Let's trade Yaz he won the triple crown; Rice was MVP he's gone; Pedro Cy Young - think what we can get.  This logic is absurd.

When ( no IF) Boras leads Els away, pray he's not Johhny Quisling Damon and goes to the Yankees; otherwise, say thanks for some great baeball and know the Sox will find a way to plug the missing hole.

The three-headed monster must continue to live.  It needs to be fed.  Can anyone say Sabathia?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

Re: Why would anyone want to trade Ellsbury now?

You trade now before every realizes that he has been getting away with that reverse pivot.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from fivekatz. Show fivekatz's posts

The only way I see the RS trading him is if they get an offer they can't refuse.

They would listen because there is no reason to believe that he isn't going to go through the arbitration years with his side making aggressive offers (perhaps forcing Epstein into something he has avoided so far, an arbitration hearing).

And at the end he will play out his years of control and go to FA, where the highest bidder will prevail. There are very few reasons for Ellsbury to give the RS much of a "discount" too. The chances of Ellsbury being retained beyond his years of control in Boston are pretty low, and CC's contract is a big reason why (about the only sensible thing the Ellsbury stalker posts IMO).

But I don't think that is terribly high on the RS radar right now. It is far from a baseball ops or a business issue for the team. His emergence is a happy for the team (and almost all who root for the team too). There aren't any reasons to put him on the block unless you are a poster hoping the evidence of your terrible projections of the player (no pop, poor fielder, low OBP) would just go away IMO.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

I think there's only one person on the board seriously advocating this, a person with an agenda against Ellsbury since Day One. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

Wait for it ... wait for it ...

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Here's a couple of questions for that person who wants to trade Ellsbury.

How do you KNOW this isn't KEMP's CAREER YEAR?
    How do you KNOW Kemp wouldn't be 'ANOTHER CRAWFORD' whose numbers dive after you pay all that money for him?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from theYAZZER. Show theYAZZER's posts

only an IDIOT would trade ellsbury.
    the SOX have theo as GM.
    all bets are off.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

In Response to Re: Why would anyone want to trade Ellsbury now?:
    [QUOTE]Here's a couple of questions for that person who wants to trade Ellsbury. How do you KNOW this isn't KEMP's CAREER YEAR? How do you KNOW Kemp wouldn't be 'ANOTHER CRAWFORD' whose numbers dive after you pay all that money for him?  
    Posted by Hfxsoxnut[/QUOTE]

I've mention this before, Kemp IS having a career year.  Apparently career years only matter when it is in a certain persons favor however......

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from slomag. Show slomag's posts

I'm an advocate for trading Ellsbury this winter - not for Kemp, but for prospects to land a young, cost-effective, RH stud OF, ala Upton, Stanton or McCutchen.  It sounds like we're in agreement that Ellsbury is not likely to re-sign in Boston, so why would we prefer to have two more years of his service and an arbitration pick, if there is the possibility of getting one of these players long-term?  Two years is not a long time, and the FA market should be the last recourse - not plan A.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

[QUOTE]I'm an advocate for trading Ellsbury this winter - not for Kemp, but for prospects to land a young, cost-effective, RH stud OF, ala Upton, Stanton or McCutchen.  It sounds like we're in agreement that Ellsbury is not likely to re-sign in Boston, so why would we prefer to have two more years of his service and an arbitration pick, if there is the possibility of getting one of these players long-term?  Two years is not a long time, and the FA market should be the last recourse - not plan A.
    Posted by slomag[/QUOTE]

2 years is a long time, and I will happily experience two more years of Ells producing anywhere near this year.  He is a huge part of this year's success (no matter how Softy tries to write him out of the story) and I want him to continue to be one of the driving cogs in a legendary offense.  

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from S0ftl@w. Show S0ftl@w's posts

No chance Ellsbury is signed beyond FA. It's real simple. 2011 is a windfall year in the Crawford 2010 mode. Except, Ellsbury isn't a FA until 2014. He will cost about 12 to 14 for those years. Crawford has the mistake contract that Ellsbury wants but will not get from Red Sox. Crawford is a fit only at leadoff, despite career splits, where he can swap with Rh SS if needed. Theo was out of his mind when talked #3 about Crawford. Crawford, if told to forget slugging and just get on base anyway possible, will thrive at leadoff over big sample. Rays needed slugging from him and Red Sox made mistake of paying for slugging in addition to real skills for Crawford. If Ellsbury is gone, over big sample, Crawford will ecel in leadoff if he's told that getting on base is his role, period. In fact, his career averae slugging numbers will return because he will make better contract and be more selective instead of the futile effort to slug becuase of the terrible error by Theo to expect slugging #3 skillset to be part of his packae.  So, it's simple.

A. Pretend Mickey Mantle has arrived and pay 12 to 14M for Ellsbury 2011 for Ellsbury 2012 and 2013 and pretend Crawford 2012 will be Crawford 2011

B. Take the career year and sell "Ted Willliams has arrived" final 2 years of 12 and 14M to the Dodgers and add a prospect or two if needed to get Kemp (Dodgers cost 10 to 12M for 2012 and FA cost of 20M for 2013 to highest bidder) and extend Kemp long term and expect Crawford 2012 to be closer to Crawford 2010 and Ellsbury 2012 to be closer to Ellsbury 2009. Put Kemp in LF most of the time to keep his legs strong, move Crawford to CF and put Reddick/Kalish in RF. 

2012 Cost comparision and lineup differences

A    6 to 7 M
    B    10 to 12M  (Note: Drew and Cameron off books at 21.5 M)

B                                                                 A

L Crawford ('09 likely not '11) L Ellsbury (career OPS vLhp.748 '09 likely not '11)
    R Pedroia                            R Pedroia
    L Agon                               L AGon
    R Kemp (Career OPS v Lhp .945 '11 OPS 1.024)  R Youk
    L Ortiz (flip v Lhp)                                        L Ortiz
    R Youk  (flip v. Lhp)                                      L Crawford ?

It is noted that Kemp has 33 steals. It balances the OF out for many years to come, with Kemp being a perfect lineup fit and Fenway profile who also brings the speed package in addition to slugging. Like it or not, Manny was a large factor in 2 titles.

Agon and Kemp long term would be a killer to the Yankees for a long long time. Yankees will be highest bidders for Kemp if a team doesn't trade to Dodgers and extend Kemp, which is going to happen. Dodgers, short of a miracle deep pockets owner to extend Kemp to Yankee FA offer money, will look to trade Kemp this winter.

If the Red Sox gm doesn't full court press for Kemp trade and extension, expect to see Kemp in pinstripes very soon. Granderson, Tex, Kemp and Cano would be my worst Yankee nightmare for years to come.

Pretty simple, really. I know it would mean two black OF'ers and Ellsbury is a cult hero and pink hat wet dream, but look at the business side of beating the Yankees for a long time to come. Injuries can change anything, but betting on injuries is a real prayer if the Yankees get Kemp.  

Between ellsbury 2 years and Lowrie and Brentz and Vtek and Jacobs and Doubrant and Weiland, the Red Sox can easily make this winter trade. Ellsbury is not going to be signed long term anyway, and Lowrie is blocked and Middlebrooks is emerging and rest are expendable. The reality is that the Dodgers and Red Sox get better long term by making this deal. It works for both teams. 

I repeat, no way will Red Sox outbid for Kemp in FA! So forget the "take the picks for Ellsbury" and sign Kemp as FA nonsense going around from dimwits.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

First off the assumption is that the Sox can't re-sign Ellsbury, which is not an accurate dipiction of reality...Crawford's deal has nothing to do with it, the Sox can easily afford paying market value for Ells (20M plus)...What we don't know is if Ells is interested in staying in Boston or would he prefer to play somewhere else?

My guess is that if the Sox make him a fair market value offer he'll sign and stay put...there's a ton of water left to go under the bridge before the Sox or Ells need worry about that. Would they trade him? Alot has to do with the new cba and if they change the compensation package for losing type A free agents? which the players union is propsing to elimanate the signing team losing it's first draft pick and the team's are also thinking of changing the rule regarding the singing of mre than 1 type A...

As it stands now the Sox MO has been to allow guys to walk knowing that they can then use those dollars to sign another FA while reaping the reward of swapping picks and gaining the supplemantal. They also take advantage of signing mulitple Type A FA with the second one costing only a second rounder while they reap the reward of getting multiple 1st rounders when two or more type A's leaves as did this past winter...it's a loop hole in the current sytem that the smaller market owners are lobby to close...

Back to Ellsbury, what we don't know today is what the payroll budget for 2014 will look like and/ or what the luxary limit will be set at so it's premature to assume we can't resign the guy. Lot's of moving parts...suffice to say that if Henry and Luccino are still involved we'll field a formitable team with or with Ell's...

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from 111SoxFan111. Show 111SoxFan111's posts

Softone, this may be one of the better things you've written recently.  I have some questions though:
    1 - Why do you think Crawford will excel in a leadoff role?  I am not saying he can't but I think it's pretty clear that Ells is a more natural leadoff hitter.
    2 - Why do you think there is "no way" the RS will outbid for Kemp in FA?  Seems to me they can and have done this numerous times ... notably for various deals you don't like.  Do you think they are going to get a significant discount from Kemp by trading / extending?  If not, getting the picks and Kemp seems like a better deal.  Especially if you consider that Kemp and the Dodgers may be selling high after his career year.

Also, I take issue with your characterizations that:
    1 - we can expect Crawford to exceed his career averages for OBP, etc if he is "told that getting on base is his role"
    2 - he will "make better contract and be more selective instead of the futile effort to slug becuase of the terrible error by Theo to expect slugging #3 skillset to be part of his packa[g]e."

Don't get me wrong, I expect CC to be better than this year, but I don't think it is because of Theo's alleged expectations held him back or that telling him to get on base will make him better.  It is simply expecting deviation to the mean (or better) during his peak years after getting comfortable in his new home.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from slomag. Show slomag's posts

I don't think Crawford is ever going to have tremendous plate discipline.  I think he drew more walks in Tampa because he was the best hitter in the lineup.  But hitting leadoff would do the same thing for Crawford that it has done for Ellsbury - it would give him the best pitches to hit.  Pitchers don't have the luxury of trying to get him to swing at balls out of the strike zone if Pedroia and Gonzalez are on deck.  

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from S0ftl@w. Show S0ftl@w's posts

How do you KNOW this isn't KEMP's CAREER YEAR?

Career average OPS v. Lhp, that's how. Team need in OF for years to come. Also, CC, despite recent success v CC, will stay with Yankees and Kemp hitting against CC instead of hitting with Tex and Cano and Granderson is not a pleasant thought. 

How do you KNOW Kemp wouldn't be 'ANOTHER CRAWFORD' whose numbers dive after you pay all that money for him?

See above. And how do you know Ellsbury 2009 is coming in 2012? And you do know that Ellsbury is not exactly slugging Lhp. And you do know that Ellsbury will cost about 6 to 8M for next year and is not under contract beyond 2013. And you do know that Crawford 2012 is likey to be Crawford 2009 and not Crawford 2010. 

Connect the dots. Isn't is as obvious as Tex to Yankees, Betre for Red Sox in 2010 and Agon to Red Sox in 2011? 

I'm not saying it will happen because Theo only gets the obvious, and was luckily fooled on Tex. Im saying it's obvious to me it should happen.

Upton would be great too, but I doubt Dbacks will match Kemp trade value because Kemp is a soon gonner and Upton is under contract to 2015! Anit gonna happen! McCutchen fits but they aren't paying Ellsbury 12 to 14 M for 2 years like the Dodgers will. Dodgers get 2 years of excitement, 1 more year than Kemp, and can decide to bid on Ellsbury long term. They also would get another fit prospect or two that makes them better during rebuilding years. They know full well the Yankees will be bidding for Kemp. The Yankees will not bid for Ellsbury, and that would be wise for them. Much better value in Gardner and they already have a much better young talent in Granderson.

Clear that Dodgers Nicknumnut knows Yankees will get Kemp in FA bidding contest and Kemp isnt signing home team discount to play in a place that has hammered the guy when he was injured and struggled to reach potential before this year. It is true Kemp is having a career year, but its false that Kemp is not a career average menace to Lhp, which is what Red Sox need and a perfect fit in Fenway.

I didnt want Crawford for 20M a year! But Theo did it, so it is time to move on and outsmart the Yankees. Do not let them get Kemp by FA or beat trade punch! Just seeing that guy 18 times a year and 9 times a year in Fenway next to Tex and Cano should give you the nightmares it gives me!!!!!!!!!!!!! Do not spend 12 to 14M for Ellsbury 2012 and 2013, apply it to Kemp bill!

Agon was the key for 2011, and I said so! He is as much responsible for Ellsbury 2011 as Ellsbury is. Unless you can say that Ellsbury is Ichiro in Seattle, only a fool woudnt take the windfall and sell it.

Pray the Phillies are upset and/or get a key player inury and a 2011 title is likely behind Agon and the 2011 version of Beckett and Papelbon and Bard.

But for 2012 and beyond, the writing was on the wall when Theo upped 20M a year for Crawford. Don't react to the Yankees, anticipate and think ahead and cut them off from Kemp! It would be a double blow if the Red Sox aquire Kemp via trade and extend long term. Just look at this core for years to come and think about it:

Crawford                  
    Pedroia                     Granderson                   
    AGon                        Tex
    Kemp                        Kemp
                                   Cano

Now, Take away Kemp from either lineup and tell me the repacement? Fielder is a fat guy who cant play a position other than first and is likey to decline rapidly. I doubt Yanks go for Fielder. I dont care if they do.

You put Agon and Kemp together and it will exceed Manny and Ortiz.

Yes, pitching, but AL ball and Tampa should be a lesson learned. Pitching alone is not a path to playoffs and homefield out of AL.    

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from S0ftl@w. Show S0ftl@w's posts

First off the assumption is that the Sox can't re-sign Ellsbury, which is not an accurate dipiction of reality...Crawford's deal has nothing to do with it, the Sox can easily afford paying market value for Ells (20M plus)...What we don't know is if Ells is interested in staying in Boston or would he prefer to play somewhere else?

100% nonsense.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from S0ftl@w. Show S0ftl@w's posts

I don't think Crawford is ever going to have tremendous plate discipline. I think he drew more walks in Tampa because he was the best hitter in the lineup. But hitting leadoff would do the same thing for Crawford that it has done for Ellsbury - it would give him the best pitches to hit. Pitchers don't have the luxury of trying to get him to swing at balls out of the strike zone if Pedroia and Gonzalez are on deck.

100%%% correct!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from devildavid. Show devildavid's posts

Why would Crawford be trying to slug now when he
     hasn't even been batting 3rd? He has only hit 3rd twice all season. I think he's figured out on his own that he's not the number 3 hitter.

Maybe next season they can tell Gonzalez to hit more HR's too. Everyone expected 60 from him and I don't think he's going to make it. That should work. If players were just told what to do, they would all play better. This is from the authoritarian school of management. Just give orders and performance improves.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from frankn. Show frankn's posts

If you have such a woody for Kemp, why not trade for him now?  We do have a Rf spot open.  Youk and some prospects could get the deal done.  Lowrie fills in at 3rd until Middlebrooks is ready. Potential lineup. Els, Pedey, Kemp, Agon, Papi, Crawford, Lowrie, Salty, SS. Can be adjusted for RH, LH. 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

Borass is Ellsbury agent.

That's the only reason I can think of why trading him might be a thought.

We know he is going to ask for the sun, moon and most of the planets, a ten year or longer contract, he will be overpaid, and he will slack off in the first year of his new contract.

Borass clients always get huge contracts and never live up to them.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

[QUOTE]Borass is Ellsbury agent. That's the only reason I can think of why trading him might be a thought. We know he is going to ask for the sun, moon and most of the planets, a ten year or longer contract, he will be overpaid, and he will slack off in the first year of his new contract. Borass clients always get huge contracts and never live up to them.
    Posted by ZILLAGOD[/QUOTE]

You have to be careful with that kind of blanket generalization though, Zill.  I think Teixeira, for example, is coming pretty close to the production that should have been expected of him.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

[QUOTE]No chance Ellsbury is signed beyond FA. It's real simple. 2011 is a windfall year in the Crawford 2010 mode. Except, Ellsbury isn't a FA until 2014. He will cost about 12 to 14 for those years. Crawford has the mistake contract that Ellsbury wants but will not get from Red Sox. Crawford is a fit only at leadoff, despite career splits, where he can swap with Rh SS if needed. Theo was out of his mind when talked #3 about Crawford. Crawford, if told to forget slugging and just get on base anyway possible, will thrive at leadoff over big sample. Rays needed slugging from him and Red Sox made mistake of paying for slugging in addition to real skills for Crawford. If Ellsbury is gone, over big sample, Crawford will ecel in leadoff if he's told that getting on base is his role, period. In fact, his career averae slugging numbers will return because he will make better contract and be more selective instead of the futile effort to slug becuase of the terrible error by Theo to expect slugging #3 skillset to be part of his packae.  So, it's simple. A. Pretend Mickey Mantle has arrived and pay 12 to 14M for Ellsbury 2011 for Ellsbury 2012 and 2013 and pretend Crawford 2012 will be Crawford 2011 B. Take the career year and sell "Ted Willliams has arrived" final 2 years of 12 and 14M to the Dodgers and add a prospect or two if needed to get Kemp (Dodgers cost 10 to 12M for 2012 and FA cost of 20M for 2013 to highest bidder) and extend Kemp long term and expect Crawford 2012 to be closer to Crawford 2010 and Ellsbury 2012 to be closer to Ellsbury 2009. Put Kemp in LF most of the time to keep his legs strong, move Crawford to CF and put Reddick/Kalish in RF.  2012 Cost comparision and lineup differences A    6 to 7 M B    10 to 12M  (Note: Drew and Cameron off books at 21.5 M)           B                                                                 A L Crawford ('09 likely not '11) L Ellsbury (career OPS vLhp.748 '09 likely not '11) R Pedroia                            R Pedroia L Agon                               L AGon R Kemp (Career OPS v Lhp .945 '11 OPS 1.024)  R Youk L Ortiz (flip v Lhp)                                        L Ortiz R Youk  (flip v. Lhp)                                      L Crawford ?   It is noted that Kemp has 33 steals. It balances the OF out for many years to come, with Kemp being a perfect lineup fit and Fenway profile who also brings the speed package in addition to slugging. Like it or not, Manny was a large factor in 2 titles. Agon and Kemp long term would be a killer to the Yankees for a long long time. Yankees will be highest bidders for Kemp if a team doesn't trade to Dodgers and extend Kemp, which is going to happen. Dodgers, short of a miracle deep pockets owner to extend Kemp to Yankee FA offer money, will look to trade Kemp this winter. If the Red Sox gm doesn't full court press for Kemp trade and extension, expect to see Kemp in pinstripes very soon. Granderson, Tex, Kemp and Cano would be my worst Yankee nightmare for years to come.   Pretty simple, really. I know it would mean two black OF'ers and Ellsbury is a cult hero and pink hat wet dream, but look at the business side of beating the Yankees for a long time to come. Injuries can change anything, but betting on injuries is a real prayer if the Yankees get Kemp.   Between ellsbury 2 years and Lowrie and Brentz and Vtek and Jacobs and Doubrant and Weiland, the Red Sox can easily make this winter trade. Ellsbury is not going to be signed long term anyway, and Lowrie is blocked and Middlebrooks is emerging and rest are expendable. The reality is that the Dodgers and Red Sox get better long term by making this deal. It works for both teams.  I repeat, no way will Red Sox outbid for Kemp in FA! So forget the "take the picks for Ellsbury" and sign Kemp as FA nonsense going around from dimwits.
    Posted by S0ftl@w[/QUOTE]

... and there it is!!!

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from sindarin-erebor. Show sindarin-erebor's posts

The only logical reason I can think of is that person has a personal vendetta against Ellsbury, making droning, disparaging remarks about Ells since he came up and now has to look at Ells constantly raking and making a real move to be considered the American League MVP this year. Ergo for those people, trading Ells would provide huge relief and allow them to then post "I told you so"

For me, when and or if Ells departs, it will be a very sad day in my Red Sox Nation.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from 111SoxFan111. Show 111SoxFan111's posts

"How do you KNOW this isn't KEMP's CAREER YEAR?
    Career average OPS v. Lhp, that's how."
    ^^^ This doesn't make sense.  I worry for you, sir.

"Agon was the key for 2011, and I said so! He is as much responsible for Ellsbury 2011 as Ellsbury is."
    There is no basis for this statement.  NONE.  You might as well say Youk is as responsible for AGon 2011 as AGon is.  I'm not saying the 2011 Ells is what we can expect for the next few years, but this assertion is simply posturing to validate your position.  Similar to your inexplicable dependance upon v. LHP stats ... which I might add are not in-line with career averages and which are of suspect value given the ratio of RHP to LHP in the league.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from devildavid. Show devildavid's posts

How do you KNOW this isn't KEMP's CAREER YEAR?
    Career average OPS v. Lhp, that's how

And elsewhere, this same poster claims that OPS+ is the number that defines a career year. Nice cherry picking stat snippets. Keep those goal posts moving! Now serving meatball fastballs with BS sauce.