Why would anyone want to trade Ellsbury now?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from S0ftl@w. Show S0ftl@w's posts

Re: Why would anyone want to trade Ellsbury now?

1 - Why do you think Crawford will excel in a leadoff role? I am not saying he can't but I think it's pretty clear that Ells is a more natural leadoff hitter.

Because if he's told to just get on base and he's put in front of Pedroia and AGon he will excel because he will stop trying to do it all when told he was a #3 hitter who could slug like he was needed to do in Tampa. His expectations will change and so will his approach. He is pressing to try and slug for that contract, and is not going the other way and chipping the ball, bunting for hits and showing confidence and poise in PA. Get him out of current role ASAP!

2. Why do you think there is "no way" the RS will outbid for Kemp in FA? Seems to me they can and have done this numerous times ... notably for various deals you don't like.

Red Sox have never outbid for a FA the Yankees were after. Never!

Do you think they are going to get a significant discount from Kemp by trading / extending?

No, but short of accident or injury, it will be a discount becuase the Yankees will shoot the moon if it goes to FA. 

If not, getting the picks and Kemp seems like a better deal.

No way the Red Sox are "getting picks and Kemp". On picks, assumption of Type A and what CBA will say is a variable, and even assuming picks it is true that picks are years away and never any sure MLB talent. Just because some work out isn't a valid basis to ignore all the ones that don't. Not a reason to do business one way. 

Bottom line, Agon via trade was essential and he is a true sports hero for allowing theo to hedge and not burning him for amateurism. 

Yankees were not going to bid seriously on Agon, only phony head fakes to try and induce a higher Red Sox bid. Remember the Yankee bluff about bidding on Lowell and moving him to 1st?

Yankees will bid the top amount for Kemp. Pretty obvious, isn't it.    

Only way to get Kemp is trade. And it should be full court press to do so becuase you can bet the Yankees will be called to increase trade package price for Dodgers. Red Sox are now lineup up perfectly to get Kemp and cut off the Yankees.  Red Sox have Lowrie and Ellsbury and the parts to beat the Yankee trade package because Cashman has had too many trade desperation deals in recent years. I'm not saying who Dodgers will want to close the deal, but I am saying the Red Sox have the expendable parts to make a deal that will make them better for many years to come, excluding inherent act of God risk.

Especially if you consider that Kemp and the Dodgers may be selling high after his career year.

Of course Dodgers will be soliciting offers high. So what if the parts are there that make both teams better and fit both teams and provide good value risk for both teams.

Also, I take issue with your characterizations that:
    1 - we can expect Crawford to exceed his career averages for OBP, etc if he is "told that getting on base is his role"

I never said he would exceed his career OBP averages. I said he will return to them and will excel in a role of simply getting on base. In Tampa, they needed slug aspect and Crawford's career averages are lower because of it. If he is told to take the role, he will if healthy put up the upper register of standard deviation on OBP to 2009 and 2010 levels. His contract was a mistake and he was put in wrong role and it has ruined him for 2011 averages.     

2 - he will "
    make better contract and be more selective instead of the futile effort to slug becuase of the terrible error by Theo to expect slugging #3 skillset to be part of his packa[g]e."

True! The guy has been trying to live up to the weight of this contract and a role he can't excel in. His numbers are so are off it is the equivalent of a mental illness. He's pressing and I confess and regret my acerbic criticism of him as a bust. It's not his fault, it is Theo''s fault for putting him in the wrong role. Crawford was not a fit!  But that isn't his fault. If Ellsbury, loved by Red Sox fans and most certainly a burden on Crawford along with that contract, goes and Crawford is told the fans and team believe in him and want him to take over that role for business reasons and not to try and do too much, a .350 OBP over big sample will be fine and not to worry about bust complaints. I think with fan and team support he will excel in that role on this team. Fans must not make mistake of taking out frustrations on Theo's decision on Crawford leading to a fan favorite farm grown player leaving town. Support Crawford as I will be doing for here on out.  

Don't get me wrong, I expect CC to be better than this year, but I don't think it is because of Theo's alleged expectations held him back or that telling him to get on base will make him better. It is simply expecting deviation to the mean (or better) during his peak years after getting comfortable in his new home.

Perhaps, but I don't think so. It was an awkward situation from the moment Theo called Cameron and it was clear that Ellsbury was not going to get the FA contract Crawford got. Say what you want, but there is no sense in Crawford and Ellsbury being 40M when the Red Sox need a complimentary long term OF part. That's bad business and not in the best interest of the team.

Regardless of title for 2011 or not, take care of business not based upon emotion and do not allow the Yankees to get upper hand.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from ma6dragon9. Show ma6dragon9's posts

In Response to Re: Why would anyone want to trade Ellsbury now?:
    [QUOTE]Here's a couple of questions for that person who wants to trade Ellsbury. How do you KNOW this isn't KEMP's CAREER YEAR? How do you KNOW Kemp wouldn't be 'ANOTHER CRAWFORD' whose numbers dive after you pay all that money for him?  
    Posted by Hfxsoxnut[/QUOTE]

I want to trade him.

First of all, you KNOW Ellsbury will repeat this year or get better?

You KNOW he'll continue to play after he gets paid?

Interesting how you want to question Kemp, whos done it LONGER than Ellsbury, but you'll just assume Ellsbury will continue an upward trend. That's beyond being hypocritical.

Why? Because it will cost at least every penny that they paid Crawford to keep him, and I don't see $40mil between two OF spots (and i"m on record as NOT wanting Crawford to begin with).

Because he missed a whole year with cracked ribs. Then missed 3 days after getting hit by a pitch in the back. Nobody has ever been able to provide an example of either EVER happening before. He's incredibly unlucky, fragile, soft or a baby. None of those are a trait I want going forward.

He's electric when on the field, I have very real concerns about him being JD Ellsbury, and I fail to see how anyone not wearing blinders can simply ignore that. It was a question in the minors, in 2008, in 2010, and 2011. Thats a lot to ignore.

I don't want to run him out of town, but I would love to get comparable value in a different piece, ie Kemp, who I was trumpeting LAST July when people were calling me a fool.

If you can't get comparable value, you let him play until he walks...and he will walk.

Do you think the Cubs would like to have traded Prior or Wood before their arms blew up? Jose Cruz Jr was once a can't miss prospect for the Jays. How many ROYs have burned out quickly?

Don't discount Kemp, and then turn around and assume Ellsbury will have a rosy ten year career. That's absurd.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Why would anyone want to trade Ellsbury now? : I want to trade him. First of all, you KNOW Ellsbury will repeat this year or get better? You KNOW he'll continue to play after he gets paid? Interesting how you want to question Kemp, whos done it LONGER than Ellsbury, but you'll just assume Ellsbury will continue an upward trend. That's beyond being hypocritical. Why? Because it will cost at least every penny that they paid Crawford to keep him, and I don't see $40mil between two OF spots (and i"m on record as NOT wanting Crawford to begin with). Because he missed a whole year with cracked ribs. Then missed 3 days after getting hit by a pitch in the back. Nobody has ever been able to provide an example of either EVER happening before. He's incredibly unlucky, fragile, soft or a baby. None of those are a trait I want going forward. He's electric when on the field, I have very real concerns about him being JD Ellsbury, and I fail to see how anyone not wearing blinders can simply ignore that. It was a question in the minors, in 2008, in 2010, and 2011. Thats a lot to ignore. I don't want to run him out of town, but I would love to get comparable value in a different piece, ie Kemp, who I was trumpeting LAST July when people were calling me a fool. If you can't get comparable value, you let him play until he walks...and he will walk. Do you think the Cubs would like to have traded Prior or Wood before their arms blew up? Jose Cruz Jr was once a can't miss prospect for the Jays. How many ROYs have burned out quickly? Don't discount Kemp, and then turn around and assume Ellsbury will have a rosy ten year career. That's absurd.
    Posted by ma6dragon9[/QUOTE]

Huh?  You really jumped the gun here.  Where did I make any of those statements about Ellsbury?  I was questioning Softlaw about Kemp, using the same arguments he repeatedly uses against Ellsbury and Crawford, that's it.  

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from S0ftl@w. Show S0ftl@w's posts

Why would Crawford be trying to slug now when he
    hasn't even been batting 3rd?

Initial expectation and contract validation, that's why.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from S0ftl@w. Show S0ftl@w's posts

making a real move to be considered the American League MVP this year

Ellsbury is making a move out of consideration, which was short lived. Numbers are not there, on his own team or against AL CF, much less Verlander and Bautista and others.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from slomag. Show slomag's posts

[QUOTE]No chance Ellsbury is signed beyond FA. It's real simple. 2011 is a windfall year in the Crawford 2010 mode. Except, Ellsbury isn't a FA until 2014. He will cost about 12 to 14 for those years. Crawford has the mistake contract that Ellsbury wants but will not get from Red Sox. Crawford is a fit only at leadoff, despite career splits, where he can swap with Rh SS if needed. Theo was out of his mind when talked #3 about Crawford. Crawford, if told to forget slugging and just get on base anyway possible, will thrive at leadoff over big sample. Rays needed slugging from him and Red Sox made mistake of paying for slugging in addition to real skills for Crawford. If Ellsbury is gone, over big sample, Crawford will ecel in leadoff if he's told that getting on base is his role, period. In fact, his career averae slugging numbers will return because he will make better contract and be more selective instead of the futile effort to slug becuase of the terrible error by Theo to expect slugging #3 skillset to be part of his packae.  So, it's simple. A. Pretend Mickey Mantle has arrived and pay 12 to 14M for Ellsbury 2011 for Ellsbury 2012 and 2013 and pretend Crawford 2012 will be Crawford 2011 B. Take the career year and sell "Ted Willliams has arrived" final 2 years of 12 and 14M to the Dodgers and add a prospect or two if needed to get Kemp (Dodgers cost 10 to 12M for 2012 and FA cost of 20M for 2013 to highest bidder) and extend Kemp long term and expect Crawford 2012 to be closer to Crawford 2010 and Ellsbury 2012 to be closer to Ellsbury 2009. Put Kemp in LF most of the time to keep his legs strong, move Crawford to CF and put Reddick/Kalish in RF.  2012 Cost comparision and lineup differences A    6 to 7 M B    10 to 12M  (Note: Drew and Cameron off books at 21.5 M)           B                                                                 A L Crawford ('09 likely not '11) L Ellsbury (career OPS vLhp.748 '09 likely not '11) R Pedroia                            R Pedroia L Agon                               L AGon R Kemp (Career OPS v Lhp .945 '11 OPS 1.024)  R Youk L Ortiz (flip v Lhp)                                        L Ortiz R Youk  (flip v. Lhp)                                      L Crawford ?   It is noted that Kemp has 33 steals. It balances the OF out for many years to come, with Kemp being a perfect lineup fit and Fenway profile who also brings the speed package in addition to slugging. Like it or not, Manny was a large factor in 2 titles. Agon and Kemp long term would be a killer to the Yankees for a long long time. Yankees will be highest bidders for Kemp if a team doesn't trade to Dodgers and extend Kemp, which is going to happen. Dodgers, short of a miracle deep pockets owner to extend Kemp to Yankee FA offer money, will look to trade Kemp this winter. If the Red Sox gm doesn't full court press for Kemp trade and extension, expect to see Kemp in pinstripes very soon. Granderson, Tex, Kemp and Cano would be my worst Yankee nightmare for years to come.   Pretty simple, really. I know it would mean two black OF'ers and Ellsbury is a cult hero and pink hat wet dream, but look at the business side of beating the Yankees for a long time to come. Injuries can change anything, but betting on injuries is a real prayer if the Yankees get Kemp.   Between ellsbury 2 years and Lowrie and Brentz and Vtek and Jacobs and Doubrant and Weiland, the Red Sox can easily make this winter trade. Ellsbury is not going to be signed long term anyway, and Lowrie is blocked and Middlebrooks is emerging and rest are expendable. The reality is that the Dodgers and Red Sox get better long term by making this deal. It works for both teams.  I repeat, no way will Red Sox outbid for Kemp in FA! So forget the "take the picks for Ellsbury" and sign Kemp as FA nonsense going around from dimwits.
    Posted by S0ftl@w[/QUOTE]

What I don't like about Kemp is 1) He will be very expensive to extend and 2) his numbers year-over-year are a bit erratic and 3) he dated Rihanna.

My thought was you could sell Ellsbury high to a contender for prospects - the Braves might be a good fit, because they have a wealth of young pitching, which is always in demand.  They would have to empty the farm to get a guy like Upton on their own, but they could get Ellsbury for say Kimbrel and Teheran or maybe straight-up for Tommy Hanson.  Take that and package it to the D-Backs for Upton, along with one or two of our top prospects.  Then you have Upton for 4 years at $11M/year on the luxury tax, and you can either extend him another 4 and dilute the luxury tax cost, or wait a year or two and see what happens with Youk, Papi, Papelbon et al.  The Braves can extend Ellsbury, all three teams are better, and everybody is happy.

That's just one scenario - I'm sure there are others that would work to land McCutchen or Stanton, but my point is the Sox (like the Yankees) are always the contending team selling off young talent to get the proven stud.  With Ellsbury the opposite could be true.  We could trade the proven Ellsbury for the young talent, and make the D-Backs, Marlins or Pirates an offer they can't refuse. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from S0ftl@w. Show S0ftl@w's posts

You might as well say Youk is as responsible for AGon 2011 as AGon is.

No sir. AGon was a superstar in San Diego. Next question. Ellsbury is getting room service since Pedroia healthy 2011 and AGon transformed a lineup that Ortiz told management to do something about as soon as Manny left.

Take a look at Ortiz v. lhp this year, if you need further proof on what a superstar AGon is. Unless he gets career damaging injury, Agon will rank alongside Williams and Foxx as the greatest hitters in Red Sox history.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from devildavid. Show devildavid's posts

Initial expectation and contract validation, that's why.

That's your theory. It may not be a fact. My observations of Crawford don't lead me to believe he is trying to slug. He looks like the same hitter with the funny looking swing that I saw in Tampa Bay and was never too impressed with. I think Crawford is a poor fit for the Sox and now because the foolish length and cost of his contract is near impossible to trade. No amount of polishing is going to turn fool's gold into the real thing. I am not optimistic about his long-term fit in Boston, but I will support him and hope for his success as I do with all Red Sox players.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from S0ftl@w. Show S0ftl@w's posts

2) his numbers year-over-year are a bit erratic and 3) he dated Rihanna.

Take a look at Kemp's career OPS v. LHP. Do you see anything "erratic"? It's about ballpark fit and balance in OF needs.

He looks like a hobo, so that won't moisten any pink hat fans. Oh well, Manny was despised and Ortiz is abused and disrespected, as well.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from S0ftl@w. Show S0ftl@w's posts

My observations of Crawford don't lead me to believe he is trying to slug. He looks like the same hitter with the funny looking swing that I saw in Tampa Bay and was never too impressed with.

That's your theory. No getting around Crawford's OBP, which is proof he is not the same confident player and approach as Tampa. Bad contract, but his only long term fit role is Ellsbury's role. Oh well.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

[QUOTE]2) his numbers year-over-year are a bit erratic and 3) he dated Rihanna. Take a look at Kemp's career OPS v. LHP. Do you see anything "erratic"? It's about ballpark fit and balance in OF needs. He looks like a hobo, so that won't moisten any pink hat fans. Oh well, Manny was despised and Ortiz is abused and disrespected, as well.

Manny:  I, along with legions of Sox fans, loved Manny, and still have a place in my heart for him at the end of the day.

Ortiz:  Disrespected, yes, during his horrible 2009 and 2010 season starting slumps.  Other than that, I, and almost every single Sox fan today, consider him one of the greatest sox legends of all time and the heart of this club for almost a decade.

Leave it alone.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from S0ftl@w. Show S0ftl@w's posts

space, I leave it alone when bias and bigotry leaves it alone.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from slomag. Show slomag's posts

[QUOTE]2) his numbers year-over-year are a bit erratic and 3) he dated Rihanna. Take a look at Kemp's career OPS v. LHP. Do you see anything "erratic"? It's about ballpark fit and balance in OF needs. He looks like a hobo, so that won't moisten any pink hat fans. Oh well, Manny was despised and Ortiz is abused and disrespected, as well.

Career averages by definition cannot be erratic, but his 2010 OPS vs LHP was .809, which is good, but would be a disappointing career average after a mega-extension.  I don't predict that, and think Kemp would be a monster at Fenway, but landing an Upton, McCutchen or Stanton (in that order) would give us more payroll flexibility, and actually make the Crawford signing look good in retrospect.  If the choice is between a $40M OF of Crawford, Kemp & Reddick / Kalish, a $30M OF of Crawford, Upton & Reddick / Kalish or a $25M OF Crawford, McCutchen / Stanton & Reddick / Kalish, Kemp would be a distant 3rd, but still worth doing IMO.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from S0ftl@w. Show S0ftl@w's posts

Kemp was hurt in 2010 but his career OPS v. Lhp is well over .900.

Upton is not going to be traded anytime soon. I like your thinking, though, you fully grasp the issue.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from 111SoxFan111. Show 111SoxFan111's posts

"Take a look at Kemp's career OPS v. LHP. Do you see anything "erratic"? It's about ballpark fit and balance in OF needs. "
    >> Looking at OPS v. LHP doesn't tell us much about whether he is prone to significant swings in performance.  That said, despite a down year last year and a CAREER year this, I don't think he is any more prone to ups and downs than anyone else.  I do think he'd be a great fit for the Sox, I just question the wisdom of trading Ells + prospects for him.  Now if you said, let's trade Reddick, Kalish, Doubront and _____ for him, I'd be on-board.  Lastly, just because Kemp is a good player and a good fit, it doesn't follow that Ells "sucks" no matter how much you want that to be the case.

He looks like a hobo, so that won't moisten any pink hat fans. Oh well, Manny was despised and Ortiz is abused and disrespected, as well.
    >> This is drivel.  Manny was loved here until he pulled some crazy shtuff.  Ortiz has always been a fan favorite in Boston even if it doesn't fit into your racism story.  Sure, a there was a lot of press about whether he was done after slow starts but that wasn't unexpected or race related.  It was pretty natural given his age and after a significant change in stats that, in hindsight, were clearly related to his wrist issues.  That's all to be expected in the Boston fish bowl.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from devildavid. Show devildavid's posts

No getting around Crawford's OBP, which is proof he is not the same confident player and approach as Tampa.

Yes, Crawford's OBP stinks now. But his OBP for his time with Tampa was .337. Not impressive. And he is pathetic vs lefties.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from PapiFan. Show PapiFan's posts

I agree with your premise, that they should not be actively shopping him, but no player is untradeable.

If the Diamondbacks offered Justin Upton for Ellsbury, then I would do it.  In fact I would give a top prospect with Ellsbury for Upton.  That is not a downgrade on an incredible player in Ellsbury, but moreso, because Upton is the power hitting righthanded hitting OF that they have a bigger need for.   I would also do it, because Upton would be much more inclined to sign a long-term contract before he can become a free agent then Ellsbury would.

With that being said, I don't think the Dbacks would do that, as Upton is loved in Arizona.  And I agree with your basic premise that the Sox should be happy with Ellsbury for the next couple of seasons and take the draft picks when he signs elsewhere, unless they can get an impact player like an Upton.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from saxydogg77. Show saxydogg77's posts

Softlaw, I'm gonna throw this out there for you to suck on.  Ellsbury might be getting those room service fastballs because no pitcher wants to walk him.  A walk more than likely means he's on second base after a steal.  Question:  as a supposed Sox fan, you seem hellbent on getting rid of a great leadoff hitter.  So what if he were to suck on a different team (doubtful.  He was a first round pick, expected to become an impact player), wouldn't you rather him here, being great on this team?  He fits in well with this line up, dontcha think? 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from theYAZZER. Show theYAZZER's posts

[QUOTE]Borass is Ellsbury agent. That's the only reason I can think of why trading him might be a thought. We know he is going to ask for the sun, moon and most of the planets, a ten year or longer contract, he will be overpaid, and he will slack off in the first year of his new contract. Borass clients always get huge contracts and never live up to them.
    Posted by ZILLAGOD[/QUOTE]

he'll ask for the sun and the moon because some local moron(who appears to be god on this board) signed a lesser player for 142 million dollars. i'm sure bora$$ will notice that.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from theYAZZER. Show theYAZZER's posts

[QUOTE]space, I leave it alone when bias and bigotry leaves it alone.

in the city of boston; what? are you crazy?

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from saxydogg77. Show saxydogg77's posts

Yaxxer, why WOULDN'T we think Theo is god?  He brought us a winner and will continue to do so for years to come.  If you bring up is misses, you must also acknowledge his hits.  Otherwise, you've exposed yourself as a one-trick troll.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from saxydogg77. Show saxydogg77's posts

I'm growing tired of watching Yaxxer and softserve getting each other off.  I wouldn't be surprised if they're the same loner, actually.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from theYAZZER. Show theYAZZER's posts

[QUOTE]Yaxxer, why WOULDN'T we think Theo is god?  He brought us a winner and will continue to do so for years to come.  If you bring up is misses, you must also acknowledge his hits.  Otherwise, you've exposed yourself as a one-trick troll.
    Posted by saxydogg77[/QUOTE]

the multiple use of the word troll on this genuflecting board has made the word void of any meaning.
    a sure sign of being  ignorant is using the same word over and over and over.
    you definitely qualify.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

[QUOTE]First off the assumption is that the Sox can't re-sign Ellsbury, which is not an accurate dipiction of reality...Crawford's deal has nothing to do with it, the Sox can easily afford paying market value for Ells (20M plus)...What we don't know is if Ells is interested in staying in Boston or would he prefer to play somewhere else? 100% nonsense.

I concur all I've ever read from you is 100% nonsense...do me a favor please place me on ignore, I'll do the same for you...frankly Softone...I have little or no time to have a debate with a fraud, alter ego who is merely trying to engage those that want to have factual debates with a constant barrage of drivel...

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from theYAZZER. Show theYAZZER's posts

[QUOTE]I'm growing tired of watching Yaxxer and softserve getting each other off.  I wouldn't be surprised if they're the same loner, actually.
    Posted by saxydogg77[/QUOTE]

hey sexydogg, sniffed any behinds lately?