1. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

Why Wouldn't the Red Sox Give Cody Ross $8.5M per year when...

1. They gave Victorino $13M per year.

2. They gave Johnny Gomes $5M per year.

3. They gave (TBD) Mike Napoli $13M per year.

4. They have Stephen Drew $9.5M for one season.

Answer:

Ben Cherington and the rest of the front office don't know what they are doing. We've seen what they have done the last three years, and in the last off season.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

Re: Why Wouldn't the Red Sox Give Cody Ross $8.5M per year when...

I am happy for Cody Ross and his family. 

I wish Boston got him instead of Arizona. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Ross did great against lefties, mediocre to bad against righties.

Ross did great at Fenway, poorly on the road.

He also tailed off considerably in the second half.

He's not a good fielder.

4. This post has been removed.

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Iceman4. Show Iceman4's posts

3 years at that amount....nope

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

In response to ADG's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Answer:

Ben Cherington and the rest of the front office don't know what they are doing. We've seen what they have done the last three years, and in the last off season.

[/QUOTE]

I think the Red Sox still need to make a bold trade, especially if the Napoli deal falls off the table.  We also have some decent OF prospects so three years for Ross probably wasn't worth discussing.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxdirtdog. Show redsoxdirtdog's posts

[QUOTE]

Answer:

[/QUOTE]

Perhaps because Ross has trouble playing any ball that is not a simple pop fly????  Just maybe?   I love the guy, but he simply sucks in the field. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

In response to redsoxdirtdog's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Answer:

[/QUOTE]

Perhaps because Ross has trouble playing any ball that is not a simple pop fly????  Just maybe?   I love the guy, but he simply sucks in the field. 

[/QUOTE]

Plus, he doesn't exactly have a cannon for an arm. Seriously, I sometimes wonder if some of the people who post here even watch baseball.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Kingface12. Show Kingface12's posts

[QUOTE]

Answer:

[/QUOTE]

Because the last time I checked Ross can't play 2 outfield spots, first base, catcher and shortstop at the same time.....

While I like Ross.....Vic is just as good a hitter (albeit less power) WAY superior on the basepaths (one of the best in the league) a superior fielder and one of the most liked player in MLB... I think those reason are well worth the extra money.  While I agree that Gomes is overpaid.....I think he is every bit as good as Ross and will make less money....by a lot....

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxKimmi. Show RedSoxKimmi's posts

"However, he got it right on Gomes and 5M and 2 years instead of the ungrateful Ross."

This I agree with.  Gomes and Ross are pretty comparable players.  While I would have welcomed  Ross back for one or two years, Gomes at $10M/2yrs is a much better deal than Ross at $26M/3yrs.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxdirtdog. Show redsoxdirtdog's posts

In response to carnie's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to redsoxdirtdog's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Answer:

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Plus, he doesn't exactly have a cannon for an arm. Seriously, I sometimes wonder if some of the people who post here even watch baseball.

[/QUOTE]

True dat!   They're told they should love Ross, so they parrot what they hear or read, without having actually watched the games. 

I'm convinced that's how the soft one concocts his pathetic analysis of all things Red Sox.  That's the problem with baseball being a "thinking man's game."  Sure!  It's great to study the stats, but far too many guys think that you can base all player evaluation on raw statistics.  Ross has a big bat against LHP.  Yep!  He can put up some impressive power numbers?  Yep.  Can he play the field?  It's frightening how bad he is in the field!!!  Stat geeks simply don't have the game perspective to actually "flesh out" the stats.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from charliedarling. Show charliedarling's posts

Ross had a nice year at the plate compared to most of the Red Sox hitters in 2012, but he was not worth a three year contract at this time in his career for many of the reasons mentioned by the other posters in this thread.  Good for him, however,  in that he got what he got from Arizona.

Gomes is probably not going to be worth the $5 M per year either because he has many of the same problems that Ross had, but he is only on a two year contract which makes him not only less expensive than Ross at $8.5 M per year but also yields much more roster flexibility over the next three years.

Victorino yields decent defense in centerfield if needed (either in 2013 with an Ellsbury trade or in 2014 if Bradley is not quite ready) so he warranted a longer contract and for more money while he plays right field this year.

If healthy, Napoli will hit enough home runs for the next two years as a first baseman as he eases his way into the DH position in 2014 if Ortiz falters or gets hurt so that he can be the regular DH in 2015.

Drew is likely to be overpaid as well, but he will provide considerably more offense than Iglesias would have as long as the Sox still think that he should provide more than just singles and his great glove.  At least Drew is only signed for one year, but they still should have been able to restrain themselves from bidding against themselves.  He has never done anything enough to earn $9.5 M and coming off last season should have been happy to have gotten $5 for one year as he tries to rebuild his resume.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxKimmi. Show RedSoxKimmi's posts

"Vic is just as good a hitter (albeit less power) WAY superior on the basepaths (one of the best in the league) a superior fielder "

Victorino and Ross are comparable hitters.  Factor in defense and baserunning and Victorino is a much better player than Ross, perhaps 2-3 wins better.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from raider3524. Show raider3524's posts

In response to RedSoxKimmi's comment:
    [QUOTE]

"However, he got it right on Gomes and 5M and 2 years instead of the ungrateful Ross."

This I agree with.  Gomes and Ross are pretty comparable players.  While I would have welcomed  Ross back for one or two years, Gomes at $10M/2yrs is a much better deal than Ross at $26M/3yrs.

[/QUOTE]

and i think gomes has more power....if people think ross swing was built for fenway and the monster...i think gomes is better..

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from raider3524. Show raider3524's posts

[QUOTE]

"Vic is just as good a hitter (albeit less power) WAY superior on the basepaths (one of the best in the league) a superior fielder "

Victorino and Ross are comparable hitters.  Factor in defense and baserunning and Victorino is a much better player than Ross, perhaps 2-3 wins better.

[/QUOTE]

victorino is 10x the player ross is...it's not even close.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

ross was a great cherington sign...until we didnt want him anymore....now he is a bad fielder, his splits are bad, and no one wanted him...

welcome to Bootlicking BDC 101...

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from rickerd2. Show rickerd2's posts

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I think some people only see the box scores and look at offensive stats.  Easier to rate and compare, for sure.

He is a nice guy, too, if that counts.

19. This post has been removed.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from donrd4. Show donrd4's posts

[QUOTE]

Answer:

[/QUOTE]

They know something you don't.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxKimmi. Show RedSoxKimmi's posts

"ross was a great cherington sign...until we didnt want him anymore....now he is a bad fielder, his splits are bad, and no one wanted him..."

Ross was a great sign for 1 year at $3 mil.

Three years at $26 mil is a completely different story.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from parhunter55. Show parhunter55's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

This should have ended the discussion right there.  Gomes provides the Sox with the same production that Ross would have provided...for a lot cheaper and fewer years of commitment.  Ross at 3 years/25 with a 4th year option or 1 million buyout would not have made any sense for the Sox as currently constructed.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

[QUOTE]

"ross was a great cherington sign...until we didnt want him anymore....now he is a bad fielder, his splits are bad, and no one wanted him..."

Ross was a great sign for 1 year at $3 mil.

Three years at $26 mil is a completely different story.

[/QUOTE]

Trying to explain the difference between $26M and $3M to Geo is like trying to explain physics to my dog.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from parhunter55. Show parhunter55's posts

Is this the dog Aceves is worth in another thread?  My dog is actually pretty quick at learning tricks.  Learning not to chew on not edible...not so smart.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Kingface12. Show Kingface12's posts

In response to parhunter55's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Is this the dog Aceves is worth in another thread?  My dog is actually pretty quick at learning tricks.  Learning not to chew on not edible...not so smart.

[/QUOTE]

Huh??

Sections
Shortcuts