1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

Re: Why Wouldn't the Red Sox Give Cody Ross $8.5M per year when...

In response to parhunter55's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Is this the dog Aceves is worth in another thread?  My dog is actually pretty quick at learning tricks.  Learning not to chew on not edible...not so smart.

[/QUOTE]

My apologies if you took offense at me comparing Geo to your dog.  Tell your dog I didn't mean anything personal.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from slaaonta71. Show slaaonta71's posts

nah  not for that price and he does tail off towards the end of the season hey we got gomes and svic so  we did well we just need a dam outfielder first basemen lefty bat and were good

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from tom-uk. Show tom-uk's posts

Smith's RBI double   Added:  05/02/2012Duration:  01:04   5/2/12: Cody Ross' misplay in the left-field corner results in a Seth Smith double that plates Josh Reddick              

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxdirtdog. Show redsoxdirtdog's posts

In response to georom4's comment:
    [QUOTE]

ross was a great cherington sign...until we didnt want him anymore....now he is a bad fielder, his splits are bad, and no one wanted him...

welcome to Bootlicking BDC 101...

[/QUOTE]

Right...  If you call "bootlicking" tell the truth about Ross not being able to play OF.  OK..  Perhaps some of actually don't mind liking a guy, being happy with what he did for the Sox, but also having the ability to admit his limitations.  Sounds like you have everybody pegged?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

Hmm I'm with geo on this one

"ross was a great cherington sign...until we didnt want him anymore....now he is a bad fielder, his splits are bad, and no one wanted him..."

neither is a budget alternating contract

neither will change ticket or food prices

To say it is not a budget-alternating contract is kind of meaningless.

I'll buy a loaf of rye bread for $3.  I won't buy a loaf of rye bread for $9.  I can afford to buy 100 loaves of rye bread for $9, but I won't buy a single one, becuase it is too much.

This is kind of identical to the NYY and Martin.  Martin was a nice signing for $4M.  Then they signed him for $7.5M.  Then they decided that $17M/2, exactly $1M more than what he was making, was too much.

The NYY were paying Swisher $10.25, so why not $13M?

They were paying Chavez probably close to $2M after the incentives, so why not $3M?

Why?  Because the teams set a price on someone, and that's it.  If it was for $1M, $2.75M, and $1M, they'd have Martin, Swisher and Chavez.  And the $4.75M is a smaller increase in salry for all three than the difference in Ross' salary.

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnchiladaT. Show EnchiladaT's posts

Ross wanted 3 yearts didn't he? No thanks. Two years then no problem.

Though I despise Napoli I do like the fact any deal we have made is no more than 3 years.... the fact everyone of them is nearly 40 at least gives me the comfort that not a single one of them will be here come 2016.

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

[QUOTE]

ross was a great cherington sign...until we didnt want him anymore....now he is a bad fielder, his splits are bad, and no one wanted him...

[/QUOTE]

Right. Go back to last September/October and the same people bashing him now wanted him and Ortiz back. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

In response to EdithBRTN's comment:
    [QUOTE]

What is the average age of free agents? Does anyone have this information? Thanks in advance.

[/QUOTE]

Most free agents are 29+, and probably 30+. Unless a player gets to the majors before 23, they will be a minimum of 29 due to the 6 years of control. Younger players that hit free agency (B.J. Upton for example) get there because they are in the majors at the age of 22 or below.

12. This post has been removed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

[QUOTE]

So why do so many posters label free agents as old men?

[/QUOTE]

Their just on the back end of their prime or just past it. 27-28 to 32-33 is prime years. 31 is not old, neither is 32. 34 or 35 is getting old for baseball. Also depends on the position played and wear and tear on a player at his current age. So many factors go into a player besides just his age. But some here just see 32 and thats it. You have to look at the whole picture.

Torri Hunter was 37. but I wouldve had no issue with a 1 or 2 yr deal for him. But then there are players that are 34 that I wouldnt want for more than 1 year, if at all.

14. This post has been removed.

15. This post has been removed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Drewski5. Show Drewski5's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Its about the $$.  Great signing for 1 @ 3.5.  Not necessarily for 3 @ 8.5.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Drewski5. Show Drewski5's posts

In response to RedSoxKimmi's comment:
    [QUOTE]

"ross was a great cherington sign...until we didnt want him anymore....now he is a bad fielder, his splits are bad, and no one wanted him..."

Ross was a great sign for 1 year at $3 mil.

Three years at $26 mil is a completely different story.

[/QUOTE]

Beat me to it!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Drewski5. Show Drewski5's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Because they worship youth.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Flapjack07. Show Flapjack07's posts

In response to RedSoxKimmi's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Ross was a great sign for 1 year at $3 mil.

Three years at $26 mil is a completely different story.

[/QUOTE]

Why this is so difficult to understand is beyond me. It's like, in order for the 1 year and $3 million for 2012 to have been a good deal, Ross must be retained forever after regardless of price.

Ross for one year was a great value. I always figured, after the year he had, he'd pursue a bigger payday. The RS weren't willing to meet his price...same thing as with Beltre. The Sox got Jonny Gomes, a very similar player to Ross, for $5 mil x 2. Again, I'm not sure what's so difficult here.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Flapjack07. Show Flapjack07's posts

I liked Ross and would have loved to have him back at the right price. But the people complaining about Victorino at 3/39 and pining for Ross at 3/26 are really stretching it, and the people complaining about Gomes at 2/10 and pining for Ross at 3/26 have no leg to stand on.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

In response to pinstripezac's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to Joebreidey's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I'll buy a loaf of rye bread for $3.  I won't buy a loaf of rye bread for $9.  I can afford to buy 100 loaves of rye bread for $9, but I won't buy a single one, becuase it is too much.

This is kind of identical to the NYY and Martin.  Martin was a nice signing for $4M.  Then they signed him for $7.5M.  Then they decided that $17M/2, exactly $1M more than what he was making, was too much.

The NYY were paying Swisher $10.25, so why not $13M?

They were paying Chavez probably close to $2M after the incentives, so why not $3M?

Why?  Because the teams set a price on someone, and that's it.  If it was for $1M, $2.75M, and $1M, they'd have Martin, Swisher and Chavez.  And the $4.75M is a smaller increase in salry for all three than the difference in Ross' salary.

[/QUOTE]

that I could agree with JB ;-)

but U should have quit while u were ahead

If I liked rye bread, and if my family / fan base liked rye bread\

and I could afford rye bread I'd probably pay a little extra for it

didn't you mention something recently about

there being something good about keeping players you rooted 4

so far the yanks haven't signed or traded for anyone to replace martin

so I don't see how there is any similar comparison to be made there

for that matter the yanks are in a unique situation

have nothing /little in common with whats goin on in boston

they are all about cutting money from being above the tax penalty for over a decade

where boston is building a team

pike also tried to compare this with the yankees

need we say anymore

[/QUOTE]

1-You are not paying $9 for a loaf of rye bread.  I know that and you know that.  There are plenty of things that my family likes, that they won't get, unless I can afford it.

2-When I say I like to root for the same players, it doesn't necessarily mean all 56 players that we used last year need to be on the 25-man squad this year.

3-Why are the NYY in a unique situation trying to get under the cap?  LAD is over, we're at the ceiling, as are several other teams.  There is absolutely no difference between us passing on Ross because he is too expensive, and the NYY passing on Martin, Swisher, and Chavez because they are too expensive.

Both teams want to get to the limit.  The NYY opted for Ichiro for $6.5M instead of Swisher at $13M.  The RS opted for Gomes for $5M instead of Ross at $9M.  About as identical as you can get.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnchiladaT. Show EnchiladaT's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

troll

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

Because the coming "BLOCKBUSTER" will make the need of C. Ross unnecessary......

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnchiladaT. Show EnchiladaT's posts

See pike would say we all thought ALL FA were old men when in fact we are saying that EVERY SINGLE PLAYER the Sox are bringing in are over 31... which really means our team is getting older.

pike is trolling. He can go put his u know what in his own behind.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

In response to pinstripezac's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to southpaw777's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Their just on the back end of their prime or just past it. 27-28 to 32-33 is prime years. 31 is not old, neither is 32. 34 or 35 is getting old for baseball. Also depends on the position played and wear and tear on a player at his current age. So many factors go into a player besides just his age. But some here just see 32 and thats it. You have to look at the whole picture.

Torri Hunter was 37. but I wouldve had no issue with a 1 or 2 yr deal for him. But then there are players that are 34 that I wouldnt want for more than 1 year, if at all.

[/QUOTE]

that's the thing 777

so many talk about players being

past their prime years, on the decline

without acknowledging said player

while he might not be as good as he once was

still can be better than many other choices

[/QUOTE]

It's all about the value.  It's not the player, it's the contract.  A 34 yo one a one-year contract can be a much better signing than a 31 yo on a 6-year contract.  The market moves backj and forth, but FG a few years ago posted an article saying that older players on short contracts were the biggest market inefficiency.