Why you trade for Cliff Lee

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

Re: Why you trade for Cliff Lee

In response to ThefourBs' comment:

In response to Kingface12's comment:

In response to Bill-806's comment:

I'm amazing that there's only one  "Trade for  Lee" thread this morning.

Imagine the kickass rotation we'd have, if the Sox traded for every pitcher that whupped them...

I would do it in a heart beat..... Forget the $$$$ as it is short term.......  Aceves,SALTY, DOUBRONT,Ellesbury, BARD  ...... Do it BEN, Just do it !!!!!

Hey smart one.... Let's say a team came along and offered Ace, Salty Douby Ells and Bard to us for our Ace (Buch or Lester)....would you HONESTLY take that scrap heap?!?!?!?!?!  Do you HONESTLY think for a SECOND before you post your garbage??  Salty (really a DH), Douby (can't go past 5), Bard (trainwreck), Ells (underperforming), Ace (......), Salty ( only one performing at his level....which really is not superstar material)...

Go away Bill....

He'll go away for the morning.

Because he wont have a clue as to how to answer....

Have not gone anywhere.........    Phillie wants to get rid of the $$$$$$...... OK, Im not the  G M (yet)..... Ben should/could make it work, just don't give up the kids !!!    As your galpal would say ........  "WHAT DIFFERENCE DOES IT MAKE" !!!!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

In response to susan250's comment:

In response to Hfxsoxnut's comment:

Lee can still pitch, there's no doubt about that.  I don't know if the Phillies would want to trade him unless they got an awful lot back.  They did dump some salaries last year but Lee is their ace pitcher right now and they're not a poor team.  Halladay is toast and Hamels is not at his best so far this year. 

Agree with you.  The Phillies probably wouldn't trade him.  I would imagine that many teams would want to trade for him not just the Red Sox.  You can never have enough good pitching. 

I think Lee will be traded at the deadline.  I also remember most of our fans couldn't believe the 26mil dump to the Dodgers.  Anything can happen that could make Lee's salary more attractive, especially if the Phils were willing to pick up part of it.  I also agree other teams with much less talent have shut down our lineup.  With that said how many of our fans truly believe Lackey or Dempster can come up big against the best teams in the PS?  Not me, but having Lee, Jon and Clay would be incredible. 

At this point I would also give Gomes away for a bag of "Boston baked beans" and bring up Brentz.  It would inject more new blood in the lineup and he couldn't do much worse.  Gomes can't hit lefties or righties and having him batting behind Ells is embarrasing.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

Imagine the kickass rotation we'd have, if the Sox traded for every pitcher that whupped them...

I would do it in a heart beat..... Forget the $$$$ as it is short term.......  Aceves,SALTY, DOUBRONT,Ellesbury, BARD  ...... Do it BEN, Just do it !!!!!

Hey smart one.... Let's say a team came along and offered Ace, Salty Douby Ells and Bard to us for our Ace (Buch or Lester)....would you HONESTLY take that scrap heap?!?!?!?!?!  Do you HONESTLY think for a SECOND before you post your garbage??  Salty (really a DH), Douby (can't go past 5), Bard (trainwreck), Ells (underperforming), Ace (......), Salty ( only one performing at his level....which really is not superstar material)...

Go away Bill....

Have not gone anywhere.........    Phillie wants to get rid of the $$$$$$...... OK, Im not the  G M (yet)..... Ben should/could make it work, just don't give up the kids !!!    As your galpal would say ........  "WHAT DIFFERENCE DOES IT MAKE" !!!!

The Phillies also need good young prospects.

Your list contain none of those.

It's a list of players you don't like, but think some other team wants.

Just brilliant...

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

In response to georom4's comment:

If i had a dime everytime someone in this room trashed Cliff Lee as too old and too expensive, I would be retired with no house payment. He was awesome tonight and I hope this shuts them up once and for all.

No one ever said Lee cannot pitch.

But he does make $87.5mill over the next 3 years or $102.5 over the next four.  And was not available for random packages of undesirables.

If the Phillies ask for Bogaerts and Bradley, do you take on a pitcher who will be 34 to 38 for his tenure and paid like A-Rod?

The guy has a $12.5 mill BUYOUT.  You can get a good pitcher alone for that money, assuming you don't spend it on a guy who is not pitching for you...

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

If i had a dime everytime someone in this room trashed Cliff Lee as too old and too expensive, I would be retired with no house payment. He was awesome tonight and I hope this shuts them up once and for all.

the "expensive" comment is due to the return to the Phils, not simply the $$$ owed to Lee. The RS have the money, what do the Phils want in return? Sure, I want Lee pitching for the RS, but not at the expense of Barnes, JBJ, Swihart et al....if the Phils want salary relief rather than prospects, and would take a flier on resurrecting Bard, a Rollins replacement such as Iggy and a potential starting pitcher like Aceves, I would of course do it. But I would have to assume the Phils are thinking higher upside prospects when discussing Lee deals 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

In response to notin's comment:
    [QUOTE]

If the Phillies ask for Bogaerts and Bradley, do you take on a pitcher who will be 34 to 38 for his tenure and paid like A-Rod?

/QUOTE]

Absolutely not notin, no Bogy or Bradley but it can't hurt to kick the tires.

I wouldn't hesitate to lose Doubront, Salty and a couple more youngsters for Lee.  The Phils will need a catcher after this season and Doub is still young.  I think we have the players to land Lee if the price is right and without depleteing our farm.  I don't see any team depleting their top prospects for a pitcher Lee's age.

The Phils have issues everywhere through underacheiving veterans, injuries and age beginning to creep up.  Utley, Rollins, Howard and losing guys like Victorino & Polancio have all hurt, along with Halladay and Hamels struggling. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

Go away Bill....

The Phillies also need good young prospects.

Your list contain none of those.

It's a list of players you don't like, but think some other team wants.

Just brilliant...

"YOUR GOSH DARN RIGHT"  !!!!!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from BosoxJoe5. Show BosoxJoe5's posts

In response to softlaw2's comment:

And can we please find someone better than Jonny Gomes against LH's?

Take that up with incompetent managment.

Double exposure, tonight, and for a half a decade.

It must kill you to see them in first place.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from crazyworldoftroybrown. Show crazyworldoftroybrown's posts

Money will be the deciding factor. Be patient. Too soon to make any move for either team.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from S5. Show S5's posts

This could very well play out in the Sox favor come the trade deadline.

Assuming the Phils want to unload Lee there are going to be only a few teams who can afford him.  Any team wanting to pick him up is going to have to be a semi-contender with deep pockets who's willing to make a long term committment to Lee and that's going to be a hard commodity for the Phils to find. That means the GM's from those teams are all going to show up in Philly wearing masks and carrying guns.

I can see the Sox in a position where they keep B & B (and my personal favorite,  AA C Vasquez) and instead trade several slightly lower level prospects (Brentz et al) for Lee.  This whole thing could come down to how much salary the Phils are willing to pick up, which puts the Sox in a pretty good position as they can afford to pay a little more to Lee to get him.

My ONLY question is whether it's smart to tie up that much money in an aging pitcher with a multi-year contract.  If the standings don't change appreciably by the deadline I could support taking that risk.

Disclaimer:  I've admittedly done no research into what the Phils' needs are, but it seems that the Sox would have someones to trade if only due to the depth of their system right now. 

11. This post has been removed.

12. This post has been removed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

In response to S5's comment:

This could very well play out in the Sox favor come the trade deadline.

Assuming the Phils want to unload Lee there are going to be only a few teams who can afford him.  Any team wanting to pick him up is going to have to be a semi-contender with deep pockets who's willing to make a long term committment to Lee and that's going to be a hard commodity for the Phils to find. That means the GM's from those teams are all going to show up in Philly wearing masks and carrying guns.

I can see the Sox in a position where they keep B & B (and my personal favorite,  AA C Vasquez) and instead trade several slightly lower level prospects (Brentz et al) for Lee.  This whole thing could come down to how much salary the Phils are willing to pick up, which puts the Sox in a pretty good position as they can afford to pay a little more to Lee to get him.

My ONLY question is whether it's smart to tie up that much money in an aging pitcher with a multi-year contract.  If the standings don't change appreciably by the deadline I could support taking that risk.

Disclaimer:  I've admittedly done no research into what the Phils' needs are, but it seems that the Sox would have someones to trade if only due to the depth of their system right now. 

Good point S5,

The Phils needs are all over the board including C, 3B, 2B and younger SP.  The Sox are one of the only teams that can afford Lee's contract, especially if the Phils pay a portion.   We also have young "expendable" talent at most of positions the Phils need without losing the best fits for our club moving forward.

The Phils and Boston could be perfect trade partners.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

If Philly wants anything of value back then they better be prepared to eat a lot of his salary.

I'd consider taking on the majority of that salary if the asking price is low.  No way I give up one of our top pitching prospects for him and I seriously doubt they make the trade without getting at least ONE of them.

I wonder if they would be interested in Doubront.  He will never be as good as Lee, but he might be as good as him moving forward, or at least add more value over the next 10 years (Lee is getting old).  I doubt it but weirder things have happened (L.A. Trade)

I feel bad for what I just typed.  I feel like using the L.A. Dodgers trade from august of 2012 to justify any trade is setting a dangerous precedent.

I wouldn't be overly upset if we took on Cliff Lees salary, as high as it is it is only for a few years and considering that the Cap goes up $11 million next year we have the wiggle room.  But if Boston were to give up top prospects plus take on $25 million a year payroll then I'd expect a 25 year old in return not a 34 year old. 

15. This post has been removed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from donrd4. Show donrd4's posts

If i had a dime everytime someone said lets trade for this guy or that guy just because he's really that good .Why not we add See see sa fat azz from the yanks to go along with we should trade for.What about Verlander also ? Heck why stop there........

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

In response to craze4sox's comment:

[QUOTE]

/QUOTE]

I wouldn't hesitate to lose Doubront, Salty and a couple more youngsters for Lee.  The Phils will need a catcher after this season and Doub is still young.  I think we have the players to land Lee if the price is right and without depleteing our farm.  I don't see any team depleting their top prospects for a pitcher Lee's age.

The Phils have issues everywhere through underacheiving veterans, injuries and age beginning to creep up.  Utley, Rollins, Howard and losing guys like Victorino & Polancio have all hurt, along with Halladay and Hamels struggling. 

The Sox DID kick the tires once already, offering Ellsbury plus.  While Ellsbury is not a long term commitment, that deal might have allowed Philly to keep their best pitching prospect ( Trevor May) rathet than desl him for Ben Revere.

They might look to deal Lee at some point, but doubtful it is for farm scraps.  Their pending TV deal looks to rival that of the Dodgers,  so salary relief looks lesd important.

They also acquired a decent catching prospect from SF in the Pence trade...

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

And Polanco is on the Marlins.  His health issues are immaterial...

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

[QUOTE]

/QUOTE]

The Sox DID kick the tires once already, offering Ellsbury plus.  While Ellsbury is not a long term commitment, that deal might have allowed Philly to keep their best pitching prospect ( Trevor May) rathet than desl him for Ben Revere.

They might look to deal Lee at some point, but doubtful it is for farm scraps.  Their pending TV deal looks to rival that of the Dodgers,  so salary relief looks lesd important.

A catching prospect is just that, Salty is playing better than he ever has and could step right in.  Polanco was a huge part of the Phils success as was Victorino.  Also, offereng Ells isn't going to get anything of worth in return unless he agrees to a sign and trade before hand which will never happen with Boras in charge.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from jaytftwofive. Show jaytftwofive's posts

A big mouth talk show host in Philly(originally from Providence)has suggested Lee for Middlebrooks and Webster. No way would I give up young talent like that. Will is hurting and in a slump but we know he will be a good player as will Webster in time. I would give up some A or AA prospects other then Bogaerts.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

In response to jaytftwofive's comment:

A big mouth talk show host in Philly(originally from Providence)has suggseted Lee for Middlebrooks and Webster. No way would I give up young talent like that. Will is hurting and in a slump but we know he will be a good player as will Webster in time. I would give up some A or AA prospects other then Boggarts.

I'd consider that if they would eat his whole salary.  

We have the pitching depth to make Webster expendable, and we have 1.5 other thirdbaseman who could be stars.  Cecchini, and presumably Bogaerts. 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

[QUOTE]

/QUOTE]

A catching prospect is just that, Salty is playing better than he ever has and could step right in.  Polanco was a huge part of the Phils success as was Victorino.  Also, offereng Ells isn't going to get anything of worth in return unless he agrees to a sign and trade before hand which will never happen with Boras in charge.

Saltalamacchia is a free agent at the same time as Ellsbury.  Dealing Lee indicates a need for the future, not short term.

If they asked for Middlebrooks and Brentz, do you pull the trigger?  The price for a star always includes giving up something you prefer not to.

FWIW, Toronto did give up 2 of their top prospects for an older pitcher this offseason.  It certainly does happen..

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

In response to ctredsoxfanhugh's comment:

In response to jaytftwofive's comment:

A big mouth talk show host in Philly(originally from Providence)has suggseted Lee for Middlebrooks and Webster. No way would I give up young talent like that. Will is hurting and in a slump but we know he will be a good player as will Webster in time. I would give up some A or AA prospects other then Boggarts.

I'd consider that if they would eat his whole salary.  

We have the pitching depth to make Webster expendable, and we have 1.5 other thirdbaseman who could be stars.  Cecchini, and presumably Bogaerts. 

The more Iggy plays well at 3B makes a trade for Middy that much more possible although it would take some power out of the lineup. 

24. This post has been removed.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

In response to jackbu's comment:

I'd take Cliff Lee in a heart beat.  Give them Middlebrooks, ells and whoever else they want.

Salty, Webster, and Middy, or just Middy and Webster I'm sure would catch the Phils interest if they were willing to pay a good portion of Lee's salary.  Ruiz and Young are FA's after the season and currently making 29.5mil between the two.  The Phils would be making out pretty well, even more if they choose to play their young catcher and let Salty walk.

Sections
Shortcuts