Will Ben put Ortiz on the block? Would he wave no-trade?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from tom-uk. Show tom-uk's posts

Will Ben put Ortiz on the block? Would he wave no-trade?

DH  2012
    Det
    Delmon Young  .266 /  .290  / .399

NYY
    Ibanez   .242  /  .301  /  .448  (Ichiro/Jones in LF)

Tex
    Young  .271  /  .300 /   .346

Ortiz   .316  /  .414  /  .609

I know this in unlikely, if you don't like silly trade ideas then don't read the thread!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

Re: Will Ben put Ortiz on the block? Will he wave no-trade?

Would the Red Sox trade David Ortiz to the Athletics for 24-year-old righthander Brad Peacock, who has struggled at Triple A after entering the season as Baseball America's 36th-ranked prospect, and 20-year-old righthander A.J. Cole, who has shone at Single A this year as BA's 57th-ranked prospect?

Would the Athletics, who would have the second Wild Card berth if the season ended at this moment, trade away top prospects for a two-month rental of David Ortiz?

I suspect the Red Sox would do the deal (if Ortiz approved) but that the A's would balk.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from seannybboi. Show seannybboi's posts

I was bashed few weeks ago by mentioning his name in trade talks.  If Ben decided not to extend him to multi year, Ben will try to trade Ortiz and get the max return.  It seems unlikely that he's on DL right now.  Ortiz won't take a singly year contract with the Sox.  He said it before loud and clear.  The only way to keep him is to extend him to muti year deal.  I don't mind that at all watching Ortiz get himself into shape before ST and work his a$$ off this season.  He would probably cost $$$$ but he deserves every penny.  Sox can try to trade him after the deadline by putting Ortiz through wavier but I don't think Sox will get max value since Ortiz won't be able to play in the playoff.  In fact no teams will even touch him because of his contract situation.  Plus, I believe Ortiz owns 10-5 rights so he can veto any trade.  Trading him will create disaster. 
    I mentioned Ortiz trade earlier because I thought he wanted out of Boston when Papi often went to media and complained. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from tom-uk. Show tom-uk's posts

In Response to Re: Will Ben put Ortiz on the block? Will he wave no-trade?:
    Would the Red Sox trade David Ortiz to the Athletics for 24-year-old righthander Brad Peacock, who has struggled at Triple A after entering the season as Baseball America 's 36th-ranked prospect, and 20-year-old righthander A.J. Cole, who has shone at Single A this year as BA 's 57th-ranked prospect? Would the Athletics, who would have the second Wild Card berth if the season ended at this moment, trade away top prospects for a two-month rental of David Ortiz? I suspect the Red Sox would do the deal (if Ortiz approved) but that the A's would balk.
    Posted by hill55

Dr. Hill, Toronto is also a fit but I can't imagine Ortiz waving no-trade for Oak or Tor.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from attic-dan. Show attic-dan's posts

In Response to Will Ben put Ortiz on the block? Will he wave no-trade?:
    DH  2012 Det Delmon Young  .266 /  .290  / .399 NYY Ibanez   .242  /  .301  /  .448  (Ichiro/Jones in LF) Tex Young  .271  /  .300 /   .346 Ortiz   .316  /  .414  /  .609 I know this in unlikely, if you don't like silly trade ideas then don't read the thread!
    Posted by tom-uk

Don't see this happening unless bottom falls out for Sox. The teams that will be interested will be the Sox competition for 2nd WC spot. If trade does occur it will be a waiver wire deal before Sept 1 so he can play in playoffs. IMO David will ok  a deal if he gets assurances from new club on a two year deal going forward.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Drewski5. Show Drewski5's posts

Would the Red Sox trade David Ortiz to the Athletics for 24-year-old righthander Brad Peacock, who has struggled at Triple A after entering the season as Baseball America 's 36th-ranked prospect, and 20-year-old righthander A.J. Cole, who has shone at Single A this year as BA 's 57th-ranked prospect? Would the Athletics, who would have the second Wild Card berth if the season ended at this moment, trade away top prospects for a two-month rental of David Ortiz? I suspect the Red Sox would do the deal (if Ortiz approved) but that the A's would balk.
    Posted by hill55

The Red Sox wouldnt put Ortiz on the block with a destination already in mind.  They would put him on the block, field offers, pit offers against each other, and do their due diligence.

The Red Sox wouldnt be looking to make the trade that "makes the most sense".  They'd be looking to make the trade that "provides the most return."

Which is why I'm always telling people, just because you think a trade makes sense in your head doesnt mean its goign to happen.  Even if you are 100% correct and the trade DOES make sense for both teams involved, the trade will only happen if that is the best offer for the player being moved.  you still have to outbid 30 other teams.

Ortiz could play 1B in the NL.  So if they floated his name out there (which I hope they dont), that would start the process.  The next step would be fielding offers.  As we get closer and closer to the deadline and buyers become more and more desperate, those offers would increase.

How many 30HR guys are there on the trade block?  Its not about baseball, its about supply/demand.  And with such a large number of buyers, a struggling prospect would not get it done.  Maybe the deal is fair.  Maybe its lopsided in the Sox favor (as you imply).  But it wouldnt be the best deal offered   in this sellers market.  Therefore the sox would balk.

The sellers have all of the power this year.  Jacob Turner just went for a #4 starter and a journeyman secondbaseman.  

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from attic-dan. Show attic-dan's posts

I was bashed few weeks ago by mentioning his name in trade talks.  If Ben decided not to extend him to multi year, Ben will try to trade Ortiz and get the max return.  It seems unlikely that he's on DL right now.  Ortiz won't take a singly year contract with the Sox.  He said it before loud and clear.  The only way to keep him is to extend him to muti year deal.  I don't mind that at all watching Ortiz get himself into shape before ST and work his a$$ off this season.  He would probably cost $$$$ but he deserves every penny.  Sox can try to trade him after the deadline by putting Ortiz through wavier but I don't think Sox will get max value since Ortiz won't be able to play in the playoff.  In fact no teams will even touch him because of his contract situation.  Plus, I believe Ortiz owns 10-5 rights so he can veto any trade.  Trading him will create disaster.  I mentioned Ortiz trade earlier because I thought he wanted out of Boston when Papi often went to media and complained. 
    Posted by seannybboi

As long as Ortiz is on roster by Sept 1 he can play in all play-off games including WS, so a waiver deal is more likely as Sox will be in better shape to judge their post-season chances.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

In Response to Re: Will Ben put Ortiz on the block? Will he wave no-trade? :    As long as Ortiz is on roster by Sept 1 he can play in all play-off games including WS, so a waiver deal is more likely as Sox will be in better shape to judge their post-season chances.
    Posted by attic-dan

After July 31 David Ortiz would need to first clear waivers before the Red Sox could invite other teams to make trade offers for his services. In the likely event that Ortiz were claimed off waivers, the Red Sox could negotiate only with that team (losing considerable leverage). And, of course, Ortiz with his 10-and-5 rights would need to approve any trade.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

Re: Will Ben put Ortiz on the block? Would he wave no-trade?

PR wise, the Sox should offer Ortiz 2 years today and give him guaranteed 30 million and say "we love you, Big Papi, we want you to continue to be the face of the franchise." This team needs all the PR it can get right now. These pre-game lovefests created by LL don't soothe anyone's fandom.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

In Response to Re: Will Ben put Ortiz on the block? Would he wave no-trade?:
    PR wise, the Sox should offer Ortiz 2 years today and give him guaranteed 30 million and say "we love you, Big Papi, we want you to continue to be the face of the franchise." This team needs all the PR it can get right now. These pre-game lovefests created by LL don't soothe anyone's fandom.
    Posted by dannycater

I agree 100% with Danny. if Boston moves him this year, then in my book they go back to being one of the worst organizations in MLB.

Keep your hero's. You have no championships without him and he wants to finish his career in Boston. As Danny said, give him his multi-year deal and enjoy him.

Anyone name 5 more important Sox players than Papi?

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from attic-dan. Show attic-dan's posts

In Response to Re: Will Ben put Ortiz on the block? Will he wave no-trade? : After July 31 David Ortiz would need to first clear waivers before the Red Sox could invite other teams to make trade offers for his services. In the likely event that Ortiz were claimed off waivers, the Red Sox could negotiate only with that team (losing considerable leverage). And, of course, Ortiz with his 10-and-5 rights would need to approve any trade.
    Posted by hill55

hill55, you make good points, but unless Sox go 0-for the road trip, they'll be at least in shouting distance of WC, which will negate any moves.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

Posted by dannycater

You nailed it.He's one of the fan favorites and trading him would be a HUGE PR mistake.He's the face of the franchise and the only player left from the 2004 team.Fans would turn on the FO with a white hot intensity if he was traded. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from TitleTown11. Show TitleTown11's posts

I'd be okay with it...

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from tom-uk. Show tom-uk's posts

In Response to Re: Will Ben put Ortiz on the block? Would he wave no-trade? : I agree 100% with Danny. if Boston moves him this year, then in my book they go back to being one of the worst organizations in MLB. Keep your hero's. You have no championships without him and he wants to finish his career in Boston. As Danny said, give him his multi-year deal and enjoy him. Anyone name 5 more important Sox players than Papi?
    Posted by jesseyeric

Jess, Ortiz used NYY talk as a bargaining ploy, and the Pedro compensation pick netted Buchholz.  It hurt to see Pedro go, but I don't see how it hurt the franchise's appeal to many fans.

David Ortiz recently hinted that the offseason could get even more tumultuous for the Red Sox. The designated hitter, who will be eligible for free agency after the World Series, suggested to ESPN's Colleen Dominguez that he would fit into the Yankees’ culture.

"It's great from what I hear," he said. "It's a good situation to be involved in. Who doesn't want to be involved in a great situation where everything goes the right way?”

Ortiz says there's "too much drama" in Boston these days and acknowledged that he's thinking about moving on. “I don't know if I want to be part of this drama for next year."

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

he is not worth the money he will command next yr...we have too many other needs and alreADY have huge $$$$ burdens...i have no idea what he would bring in a trade - im thinking not too much....he is still a 37yr old DH at  the end of the day making more money than anyone at his position

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from iamme17. Show iamme17's posts

In Response to Re: Will Ben put Ortiz on the block? Will he wave no-trade? : Dr. Hill, Toronto is also a fit but I can't imagine Ortiz waving no-trade for Oak or Tor.
    Posted by tom-uk
    how is toronto a fit when they got encarnacion and lind who are both signed long term and much cheaper than ortiz and encarnacion has better numbers?They wouldn't give a "b"prospect for him.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from tom-uk. Show tom-uk's posts

In Response to Re: Will Ben put Ortiz on the block? Will he wave no-trade? : how is toronto a fit when they got encarnacion and lind who are both signed long term and much cheaper than ortiz and encarnacion has better numbers?They wouldn't give a "b"prospect for him.
    Posted by iamme17

Adam Lind will make $5 M in his last year of the 4 year contract in 2013 and he is not worth even that.   He has been hot lately but for 2012, .237  /  .310  /  .411  /  .720.

He won't go there but if he would, the Toronto GM would love to dump Lind just as he tried before, to put Ortiz / Bautista / Encarnacion together.

When he struggled even more, hitting just .186/.273/.314 with three homers in May of this year, the Jays removed him from the roster and placed him on waivers, inviting any other team to pick him up for nothing but the cost of his contract.  http://www.fangraphs.com/fantasy/index.php/anyone-buying-into-adam-lind/ 

18. This post has been removed.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Drewski5. Show Drewski5's posts

In Response to Re: Will Ben put Ortiz on the block? Would he wave no-trade? : Jess, Ortiz used NYY talk as a bargaining ploy, and the Pedro compensation pick netted Buchholz.  It hurt to see Pedro go, but I don't see how it hurt the franchise's appeal to many fans. By  Ben Nicholson-Smith  [October 13, 2011 at 9:55am CST] David Ortiz  recently hinted that the offseason could get even more tumultuous for the Red Sox. The designated hitter, who will be eligible for free agency after the World Series, suggested to  ESPN's Colleen Dominguez  that he would fit into the Yankees’ culture. "It's great from what I hear,"  he said.  "It's a good situation to be involved in. Who doesn't want to be involved in a great situation where everything goes the right way?” Ortiz says there's  "too much drama"  in Boston these days and acknowledged that he's thinking about moving on.  “ I don't know if I want to be part of this drama for next year."
    Posted by tom-uk

First of all, losing Pedro was hard to swallow.  The only reason we were able to cope was because NYM gave him a 4 yr contract at huge money and we all knew his arm was hanging on by a thread at that point.

And we still almost matched it.

If you think that the fanbase immediately moved on after Pedro you are mistaken.  Did you see his first game back at Fenway.  He gave up 17 earned runs before recording an out because he couldnt stop crying.  After the game he said,

"My best baseball related memories are from Boston and it's nice to know that Boston fans think of me the same way I think of them."

He threw out the first pitch at the home opener two years ago and received a massive standing 0.  That was 4 years after he left the team!

There is no reason to part w Ortiz.  The dude has at least 2 good years in him (unlike Pedro).  And losing Pedro wasnt as easy as you are making it out to be.

I would pay $2,000 to see Pedro pitch in a Boston uniform one more time.  Even if he only lasted 1/3 an inning and gave up 17 earned runs.

Buchholz was no consolation.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

Ortiz is a Red Sox icon. He should finish his career with the Sox. He currently shows no signs of being over the hill.  We have problems , but Ortiz is not one of them.

21. This post has been removed.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from fenway3. Show fenway3's posts

This has been a lousy season.  Trading Ortiz would be a huge mistake.  Walk around Fenway and see how many people are wearing his number and how many kids adore him.  For all the great moments he provided for the fans he should retire in a Red Sox uniform.  He is our Derek Jeter.  Pay him to retire as a Red Sox and then retire his number number. 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

Posted by hill55

LOL!  I love papi, but I'd drive him out to Oakland myself.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

Posted by dannycater

PR stuff is out the window.  You have a license to do anything when you win big and lose big.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from BosoxJoe5. Show BosoxJoe5's posts

Posted by hill55

I don't think the Sox would do this deal in 1,000,000 years. BA ranking don't actually mean much when instead of improving you plateau.

Sections
Shortcuts