Will Ben put Ortiz on the block? Would he wave no-trade?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from leeang143. Show leeang143's posts

Re: Will Ben put Ortiz on the block? Would he wave no-trade?

He will not be back and I do not think spending 15mil on a dh is wise anyway.  You could get a very good starting pitcher for that money.  Offense is not the problem its our starting pitching.  Lester and becket period if they were 500 pitchers we would be talking about making a run at the ws.  payroll flexibility is key, need to dump papi, becket, dice k, lester, that would bring about 55 mil in flexibility now you can go out and find a couple of front end starters.  we are stuck with cc and lackey for the next few years, so flexible payroll is key!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Our offense looks pretty bad without Ortiz. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from bosoxmal. Show bosoxmal's posts

I can't believe any one with any common sense would even read a piece like this. One would have to be crazy to think David Orytiz could be traded.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from expitch. Show expitch's posts

I doubt that Ortiz will be traded.
    I also doubt that the FO is even close to deciding what to do about next year. THere's still a lot of baseball ahead, and perhaps personnel changes before the deadline, or even waiver monkey-business later. 
    I also doubt that the FO pays much attention to David's public bluster.
    I have no idea what will happen between the Sox and Ortiz. But I wouldn't discount the possibility that they will let him walk.
    One possibility is to make Lavarnway the full-time DH, if he would accept that deviation from his development as a catcher, and sign a back-up for Salty but work Lavarnway into (? ) games behind the plate against lefties. This option assumes, of course, that neither Salty nor Lavarnway is traded. It would also avoid having them "fighting it out" for the job in ST. I doubt that the Sox want to take that course. For good reasons.
    It's been said that Lavarnway's status depends upon a decision about Ortiz. It could just as well be the other way around. If Boston thinks Lavarnway will produce as a DH, even if not with David's numbers, at least to start with, the club just might say, "OK, you're it." And, "Thanks for the memories, Papi."

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

What if David Ortiz asked to be traded to a leading contender (as Ichiro reportedly did)?

If the return was good, could the Red Sox spin the trade as win-win-win for Ortiz, the Red Sox and the new team?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

I think Papi would have to go to a contender...At this stage in his career I dont think going to a team in rebuild mode work work for him...Im sure he would want to be able to "go for it" one more time...
    Personally, I think they should give him a 2yr/24mm deal like he wanted last year...Hes worth it IMO...

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnchiladaT. Show EnchiladaT's posts

Yes he will wave it, but only because more than anything he will feel unwanted and disrespected by Boston for trying to trade him. Tough luck I say. Ortiz would be better off going to Pittsburgh, Oakland, or a number of other potential play-off teams.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

When Theo handed 50 million to Beckett when he was on the DL, all I can think about was---how come you can't hand 40 mil to Ortiz for 2 or 3 years...Hell, he contributes every year, can't they for once OVERPAY a guy who actually produces instead of GROSSLY, SICKLY, PATHETICALLY OVERPAY GUYS WHO LIKE CC, LACKEY, RENTERIA, AND A FEW OTHERS do nothing to even closely warrant a rookie's salary.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from expitch. Show expitch's posts

If the Sox decide to let Ortiz walk, the club better think hard about acquiring a full-time corner OFer with pop. It would then have plenty of power ( in theory ) at the infield corners ( if Middlebrooks comes along ), behind the plate with Salty, and at least in one outfield position. Pedey might recover and chip in 15+ homers. If Ellsbury is still with the club to open the 2013 season, he might regain his power stroke, even if not on the scale of last season. What Lavarnway might contribute in this department would remain to be seen. 
    All told, that collection -- with a new power bat in the outfield -- would be far from impotent, maybe enough to carry Iggy's glove at SS. 
    But, sigh, not to great advantage if the rotation does not get straightened out.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

Clay will be removed from the rotation, he's pitching too well. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

In Response to Re: Will Ben put Ortiz on the block? Would he wave no-trade?:
    [QUOTE]Clay will be removed from the rotation, he's pitching too well. 
    Posted by dannycater[/QUOTE]

now you got it....

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Drewski5. Show Drewski5's posts

[QUOTE]I doubt that Ortiz will be traded. I also doubt that the FO is even close to deciding what to do about next year. THere's still a lot of baseball ahead, and perhaps personnel changes before the deadline, or even waiver monkey-business later.  I also doubt that the FO pays much attention to David's public bluster. I have no idea what will happen between the Sox and Ortiz. But I wouldn't discount the possibility that they will let him walk. One possibility is to make Lavarnway the full-time DH, if he would accept that deviation from his development as a catcher, and sign a back-up for Salty but work Lavarnway into (? ) games behind the plate against lefties. This option assumes, of course, that neither Salty nor Lavarnway is traded. It would also avoid having them "fighting it out" for the job in ST. I doubt that the Sox want to take that course. For good reasons. It's been said that Lavarnway's status depends upon a decision about Ortiz. It could just as well be the other way around. If Boston thinks Lavarnway will produce as a DH, even if not with David's numbers, at least to start with, the club just might say, "OK, you're it." And, "Thanks for the memories, Papi."
    Posted by expitch[/QUOTE]

I doubt it.  Not because I dont think that Lava could replace Ortiz as our DH, but moreso because I dont think Lava could replace Ortiz as our #3 hitter.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

Gotta hang onto Ortiz for the rest of this season because he really helps the club, and the Sox are not out of it. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from expitch. Show expitch's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Will Ben put Ortiz on the block? Would he wave no-trade? : I doubt it.  Not because I dont think that Lava could replace Ortiz as our DH, but moreso because I dont think Lava could replace Ortiz as our #3 hitter.
    Posted by Drewski5[/QUOTE]
    If Lavarnway becomes the DH, I doubt the Sox have the 3 hole in mind for him.
    In another post, I said that if Ortiz is let go, or even retained, the Sox should think hard about trying to acquire an everyday corner OFer with pop. With Ortiz gone, the club still figures to get pop from Gonzales, Middlebrooks ( fingers crossed ), Salty, a bit more from a healthy Pedey, and in 2013, from Ellsbury if he's still on the club. Maybe not another 2011 from him, but a lot more than the team has got this year from CF.  But another power bat wouldn't hurt.
    Then the manager can make the lineup and slot Lava where he fits best.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Will Ben put Ortiz on the block? Would he wave no-trade? : Jess, Ortiz used NYY talk as a bargaining ploy, and the Pedro compensation pick netted Buchholz.  It hurt to see Pedro go, but I don't see how it hurt the franchise's appeal to many fans. By  Ben Nicholson-Smith  [October 13, 2011 at 9:55am CST] David Ortiz  recently hinted that the offseason could get even more tumultuous for the Red Sox. The designated hitter, who will be eligible for free agency after the World Series, suggested to  ESPN's Colleen Dominguez  that he would fit into the Yankees’ culture. "It's great from what I hear,"  he said.  "It's a good situation to be involved in. Who doesn't want to be involved in a great situation where everything goes the right way?” Ortiz says there's  "too much drama"  in Boston these days and acknowledged that he's thinking about moving on.  “ I don't know if I want to be part of this drama for next year."
    Posted by tom-uk[/QUOTE]

As Drewski said, Pedro and Papi are two different sets of circumstances. Pedro should have retired as a Sox player but felt he still could pitch for 4 years and everyone except the Mets agreed. Nothing you can do about that - pure greed on Pedro's part. And the Mets were idiots because they were not getting the dominant Pedro - they got an everyday pitcher capable of throwing a good game one day and slop the next. He did not leave Boston as a premier player.

But Papi is still the best DH in baseball. Let's say that again - The Best!!!!!!!!!!

And he is not showing any signs of slowing down. He came into camp fit and ready from day one. And I don't want to hear any excuses that Boston has enough pop in their line-up. Boston has some great hitters but none, including Gonzalez is feared like Papi. Every great offense has that one player that no one wants to see come to the plate with the game on the line. One swing of the bat; se ya - Home run. Boston has only one player that fits that bill - Big Papi.

Please, I am a Yankee fan - let Papi walk. I would be the happiest fan around. Maybe he will sign with the Yanks and hit 50 HRs into the short porch in RF at the stadium. I will be laughing so hard that my p will be able to flow all the way to Boston.

I have said this a thousand times, if all it takes is a two year deal in the neighborhood of 25 - 28 million, Boston is insane not to resign him. He alone is worth more in revenue than the rest of the Sox players combined.

Now if he asks for a 6 year deal, then it is on him for not retiring as a Sox player.

Keep your hero's.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from tom-uk. Show tom-uk's posts

And losing Pedro wasnt as easy as you are making it out to be. I would pay $2,000 to see Pedro pitch in a Boston uniform one more time.  Even if he only lasted 1/3 an inning and gave up 17 earned runs. Buchholz was no consolation.

We will have to disagree on this one,  Buchholz was great consolation.

Cabrera pick 23rd  Ellsbury

Lowe pick  26th  Hansen

Renteria cost 28th pick  Cardinals  Colby Rasmus

Pedro pick  42nd  Buchholz

Cabrera pick 45th Lowrie

Lowe pick 47th Bowden

Pedro pick 57th  Egan

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from harv53. Show harv53's posts

Re: Will Ben put Ortiz on the block? Will he wave no-trade?

In Response to Re: Will Ben put Ortiz on the block? Will he wave no-trade?:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Will Ben put Ortiz on the block? Will he wave no-trade? : The Red Sox wouldnt put Ortiz on the block with a destination already in mind.  They would put him on the block, field offers, pit offers against each other, and do their due diligence. The Red Sox wouldnt be looking to make the trade that "makes the most sense".  They'd be looking to make the trade that "provides the most return." Which is why I'm always telling people, just because you think a trade makes sense in your head doesnt mean its goign to happen.  Even if you are 100% correct and the trade DOES make sense for both teams involved, the trade will only happen if that is the best offer for the player being moved.  you still have to outbid 30 other teams. Ortiz could play 1B in the NL.  So if they floated his name out there (which I hope they dont), that would start the process.  The next step would be fielding offers.  As we get closer and closer to the deadline and buyers become more and more desperate, those offers would increase. How many 30HR guys are there on the trade block?  Its not about baseball, its about supply/demand.  And with such a large number of buyers, a struggling prospect would not get it done.  Maybe the deal is fair.  Maybe its lopsided in the Sox favor (as you imply).  But it wouldnt be the best deal offered   in this sellers market.  Therefore the sox would balk. The sellers have all of the power this year.  Jacob Turner just went for a #4 starter and a journeyman secondbaseman.  

The Rays just dumped Matsui, but is there really anyone the Rays have that we would want?

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Drewski5. Show Drewski5's posts

Re: Will Ben put Ortiz on the block? Will he wave no-trade?

In Response to Re: Will Ben put Ortiz on the block? Will he wave no-trade?:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Will Ben put Ortiz on the block? Will he wave no-trade? : The Rays just dumped Matsui, but is there really anyone the Rays have that we would want?
    Posted by harv53[/QUOTE]

Nobody that's available.

I mean I'd gladly take:
    Longoria
    Jennings
    Price
    Moore
    Fernando Rodney

But I'm not interested in any of their spare parts or James Shields.