Will BenC. wait, wait, wait-too long and not pull the trigger?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

Will BenC. wait, wait, wait-too long and not pull the trigger?

This has been Ben's MO----waits too long then we are stuck with the same cast as we enter

the post trade deadline.

We haven't seen or heard from Doubront, Peavy, WMB, Gomes, Drew, Mujica, Breslow.

So the deadline is coming up fast---BenC's working the phones---who's he talking too?

Oh well, same old, same old…

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

Re: Will BenC. wait, wait, wait-too long and not pull the trigger?

In response to MadMc44's comment:

This has been Ben's MO----waits too long then we are stuck with the same cast as we enter

the post trade deadline.

We haven't seen or heard from Doubront, Peavy, WMB, Gomes, Drew, Mujica, Breslow.

So the deadline is coming up fast---BenC's working the phones---who's he talking too?

[object HTMLDivElement].  My sources tell me ( by the way, I am not at liberty to reveal their identities ) that they are not sure just who Ben is talking to. While I have been critical of Ben's off season performance, I am pretty sure that he is not giving up on the season and is looking for deals to help the team improve. That is all I can say at this time.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

Is this a prediction???? because the cards haven't really even started to fall yet on the trade deadline. 

Yes Samardzija, and Street are some of the bigger names off the board,  but they are just the tip of the iceberg..........more to come.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Most trades are made very close to the last hour of the deadline, and some are made as waiver deals in August.

Ben has made several calls and reportedly has found out what teams are interested in our players.

He's also waiting to see if the team makes a strong push for the division title or wild card slots, so I think that is part of the waiting philosophy. We are 7.5 away fro 1st in the east and 6 games behind for the final WC slot. There's 10 days left before the deadline, so if we cut the number to 4 or 5 games, my guess is Ben will not sell anyone but maybe Peavy, Gomes or Badenhop.

I do think that if a team makes him a good offer right now for Peavy or Gomes, he'd pull the trigger.

He's going to wait until teams are desperate to consider moving guys like Lester, Uehara, Miller or Badenhop, and possibly Napoli, Victorino or others.

Sox4ever

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

[QUOTE]

the post trade deadline.

[/QUOTE]

[object HTMLDivElement]

Are you talking about us buying or selling?  We're 7.5 games back and won 7-8.  It might be helpful to see how we do against TO.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

[QUOTE]

This has been Ben's MO----waits too long then we are stuck with the same cast as we enter the post trade deadline.

[/QUOTE]

Huh...Ben's MO?  You make it sound like it's been going on for many years.  He's only had 2 and last year he traded for Peavy.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from BogieAt12oclock. Show BogieAt12oclock's posts

Conversation in SOX FO:

Ben C---"Hey Larry, if we don't move some of these guys soon, it's gonna be too late to make some good deals for the team."

Larry: " Look Benny boy, I've been doing this for years; I know what I'm doing. I don't need you hounding me about who and when I need to deal. If you don't like this arrangement you can leave. I've got a nephew who needs a job, and he'd love to play pretend GM. Btw, I'm about to announce to the press that you are offering Lester  5 years and 100 million. If he turns it down, I'll trade him for someone cheaper."

Ben C.-"You're right Larry; sorry to be pestering you about this. Would you like some coffee? I just got one of those K-CUP machines. It makes great coffee."

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

In response to RigatoniT's comment:
    [QUOTE]

San Fran needs a first-baseman.... Napoli to the Giants..... make it happen

[/QUOTE]

Trade him for what?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

Bogie, I don't think it's quite that bad but before they had "the talk" I think most of us thought LL definitely called the shots for Ben.

Yes Ben has a definite--"Oh My God Am I Going to Make a Mistake, What Wiill Larry  Think" complex OR worse yet, Cafardo, McAdam or Abraham. Will I be labeled a failure? What if Nap snaps out of it, OR Drew all of a sudden finds his swing-what will that be like after I trade him to the Tigers, etc, etc, etc.

It's not "Rocket Science" Ben--if Beane can trade players and pick them up off the waiver wire and make some work, anybody can do it. The key, Billy has a healthy attitude-"It's a Game--It's only a game" and he doesn't have LL looking over his shoulder 24/7.

Ben you're a good evaluator and you know that some players will work--one of the differences Beane doesn't force that square peg into the round hole he trades the square block.

10  Days---could be a long 2nd half of same old, same old  OR it could be an exciting period with Gomes, Nap, Drew, WMB, Doubie, Mujica, Bad Hop, maybe Breslow, Peavy---that's 8 of the 25 from the current roster. That's why I'm saying Ben don't be a procrastinator--start too soon rather than too late. You are ready to pull the trigger---you've made ALL the phone calls and now comes the fun part---have some fun. WMB is the only one in the group above that hasn't been traded--Jenny will understand and she'll explain it to Will. 

Who would be the toughest to replace out of this group--I'd say Nap: I'd still trade him. Just think of the flexibility it would open up. I'd include Ortiz but then what would the really, really  "Big Guys" say???

It's going to be fun Ben-really.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Trading Napoli would be just plain stupid.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

Hfx--trading Nap gives the team and JF flexibility. How many players in ML baseball have more than 11 HR's in almost 100 games? He hasn't exactly led the league in any dept except possibly called 3rd strikes or seeing the most pitches.

Trade him to San Fran for Michael Morse almost the identical player--same BA--Nap has walked 33 more times. Compare the stats. Nap is a 1B--Morse is a 1B and LF. Seriously if Nap walks 53 times how much protection is that for Ortiz? Marginal. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

"TRANSFORMATION/BLOCKBUSTER"   !!!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

Seeing as this is only his third year, and he won the WS last year after picking up Peavey, has he really established an "MO" that we can predict and complain about?

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

[QUOTE]

Hfx--trading Nap gives the team and JF flexibility. How many players in ML baseball have more than 11 HR's in almost 100 games? He hasn't exactly led the league in any dept except possibly called 3rd strikes or seeing the most pitches.

Trade him to San Fran for Michael Morse almost the identical player--same BA--Nap has walked 33 more times. Compare the stats. Nap is a 1B--Morse is a 1B and LF. Seriously if Nap walks 53 times how much protection is that for Ortiz? Marginal. 

[/QUOTE]

Morse is not the same player.  He has a career WAR of 3.9 compared to 25.1 for Napoli.  Napoli's career OPS is 50 points higher and he's a better defender.  Morse is lousy defensively which is why his WAR is so low.

This is an example of a trade 'so we can get worse'. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

In response to TheExaminer's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Seeing as this is only his third year, and he won the WS last year after picking up Peavey, has he really established an "MO" that we can predict and complain about?

[/QUOTE]

Funny stuff isn't it?

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

In response to TheExaminer's comment:

[object HTMLDivElement]

year 1 - boldest deadline trade in recent memory, maybe of all time

year 2 - bold (and much debated) trade giving up Iggy for a solid rotation bolster for pennant run.

Of all the silly criticisms of young Ben, saying his MO is getting stuck with the same cast by not pulling deadline trigger is about the silliest.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from slasher9. Show slasher9's posts

[QUOTE]

the post trade deadline.

[/QUOTE]

if "same old" means same result as....oh, i dont know....last year?.....
    i think i am ok with that......

other names i have posted under:  none

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

In response to RigatoniT's comment:
    [QUOTE]

San Fran needs a first-baseman.... Napoli to the Giants..... make it happen

[/QUOTE]

Belt is out but he isn't dead.  The Giants are unlikely to deal for a 1B who is under contract for 2015 at $16mill...

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

I must have been high on drugs or something for the years when Ben didn't do something at the deadline.  MadMc44, can you help me piece together those lost years when Ben failed to make a splash at the deadline?    

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

What exactly is the complaint of the OP?  That Cherington is waiting out for the best deals, and it is bothering him?   That so far only 4 teams have made a deal, and the Sox are not one of them?  That the Sox will once AGAIN wait too long like Cherington always does, and he will end up with nothing again like he did in… well … ummm…. That other year he did this exact same thing!!  You know the one I am talking about!! What year was that again?

This is like every offseason when fans start screaming “WHAT IS CHERINGTON DOING!?!? IT’S ALMOST THANKSGIVING!!! DO SOMETHING!!! MAKE SOME MOVES AND SIGN SOME GUYS!!”

Or my favorites are the fans who think a GM should “act fast” so they can pull off a steal cheap.  Because we all know the GM’s for other teams are sitting nervously by the phone, visibly shaking and sweating, and willing to accept EVERY OFFER that comes in rather than make risk making no moves at all and be forced to live with a team they built for all of 3 more months.  After all, who thinks a GM ascended to that position by being prudent and showing good judgment?  That’s for weaklings!!

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

It's so funny --you posters were the same ones looking to hang management out to dry because either they submitted a bid of $70 for Lester or JBJ can't hit, Drew was overpaid. Let Gomes or Nava go, etc. etc.

Nap---BenC and Sox management don't have the gutts to trade the bearded wonder---he's a mercenary like Gomes, Drew and Ross.

Time will tell---I would like to see them hold onto Ue so he can save as many games as possible for the young guys coming along 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

[QUOTE]

It's so funny --you posters were the same ones looking to hang management out to dry because either they submitted a bid of $70 for Lester or JBJ can't hit, Drew was overpaid. Let Gomes or Nava go, etc. etc.

Nap---BenC and Sox management don't have the gutts to trade the bearded wonder---he's a mercenary like Gomes, Drew and Ross.

Time will tell---I would like to see them hold onto Ue so he can save as many games as possible for the young guys coming along 

[/QUOTE]

[object HTMLDivElement]

Nope.  None of the people who have taken issue with your OP here are the types to "hang management out to dry" at all.  I think the lowball to lester was poor form and hampered the Sox bargaining position and was a total whiff on getting any "hometown discount".  But I do not know the inside of those negotations, so I reserve judgement.  I also know that none of these guys are the idiots those that would "hang them out to dry" paint them as.  Drew was an overpay, but a worst-case-scenario necessity.  Everything in context.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Flapjack07. Show Flapjack07's posts

1. Strange thread when we have won 6 of 7 and pulled to 7.5 back. The next week and a half will determine a lot. Mathematically, they are not out of anything yet, so why bash Ben for not going into total sell mode with 10 days to go before the deadline?

2. I'm having a hard time seeing where the "Trade Napoli" movement is coming from. If we fall out of things I am all for selling off pieces that are not in our plans past this season, but what about 2015? Who plays first base? None of the posters advocating for a Napoli trade seem to care to go into detail about what should happen after.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

In response to Flapjack07's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I'm having a hard time seeing where the "Trade Napoli" movement is coming from. If we fall out of things I am all for selling off pieces that are not in our plans past this season, but what about 2015? Who plays first base? None of the posters advocating for a Napoli trade seem to care to go into detail about what should happen after.

[/QUOTE]

About all that remains now is the 'Trade Ortiz' campaign.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Most trades are made very close to the last hour of the deadline, and some are made as waiver deals in August.

Ben has made several calls and reportedly has found out what teams are interested in our players.

He's also waiting to see if the team makes a strong push for the division title or wild card slots, so I think that is part of the waiting philosophy. We are 7.5 away fro 1st in the east and 6 games behind for the final WC slot. There's 10 days left before the deadline, so if we cut the number to 4 or 5 games, my guess is Ben will not sell anyone but maybe Peavy, Gomes or Badenhop.

I do think that if a team makes him a good offer right now for Peavy or Gomes, he'd pull the trigger.

He's going to wait until teams are desperate to consider moving guys like Lester, Uehara, Miller or Badenhop, and possibly Napoli, Victorino or others.

Sox4ever

[/QUOTE]

Our FO will probably make a couple of small moves before the deadline but until this season is a complete loss I doubt they do very much.  Too many players are coming off the books next season one way or another and we know who 90% should be.  Our latest streak will probably just delay any significant deal. 

So the question is when?