Will Fielder be a Cub by default?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

Will Fielder be a Cub by default?

There doesn't seem to be a lot of interest in Fielder outside of the Cubs and Mariners so this may be Theo's best chance at making any kind of significant roster move for the Cubs.  The question is:  Will Fielders weight, sparatic defense and price tag be worthy of a long term contract like Albert?  I think any NL team would be crazy to give him more than a five year contract as a 1B.  

Prince may be best suited for an AL team, where he may eventually end up a DH anyway if he can't get his weight under control a bit more.     

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from parhunter1. Show parhunter1's posts

Re: Will Fielder be a Cub by default?

Prince in Chicago would do better than in Seattle, me thinks.  But Chicago will not go the 10 years Borass wants.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

In Response to Re: Will Fielder be a Cub by default?:
    [QUOTE]Prince in Chicago would do better than in Seattle, me thinks.  But Chicago will not go the 10 years Borass wants.
    Posted by parhunter1[/QUOTE]

It should be interesting par, the Cubs need to start somewhere I'm just not sure Fielder is worth the long time investment at 1B.  You never know, look at how somw people were looking at CC after the Yanks signing.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from parhunter1. Show parhunter1's posts

Craze, I must admit, I was one of the ones who thought CC would look bad by about the 3rd or 4th year, so I admit that looks can be deceiving.

But we also have a bit of an idea about Theo's thinking.  He preferred to trade prospects and sign AGon to a 7 year deal rather than wait on Pujols and Fielder and pay what they were reportedly interested in.  Since Fielder is two years younger than Gonzalez, it tells me that if Theo goes 10 years (or even 8 for that matter) then he has done a major turn around on Fielder and how long he will be productive for.

Fielder on a 10 year deal makes the most sense for an AL club.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

[QUOTE]Craze, I must admit, I was one of the ones who thought CC would look bad by about the 3rd or 4th year, so I admit that looks can be deceiving. But we also have a bit of an idea about Theo's thinking.  He preferred to trade prospects and sign AGon to a 7 year deal rather than wait on Pujols and Fielder and pay what they were reportedly interested in.  Since Fielder is two years younger than Gonzalez, it tells me that if Theo goes 10 years (or even 8 for that matter) then he has done a major turn around on Fielder and how long he will be productive for. Fielder on a 10 year deal makes the most sense for an AL club.

No doubt par, I think even Fielder is getting a reality check at this point.  Boras will continue to demand top dollar, regardless of the pros and cons of the individual client which is why I think he will destroy our chances of re-signing Ells.  It's sad teams have had to result to competing with the previous Stienbrenner regime and their spending, not to mention agents like Boras.

It's made for a more competitive sport, but it's sad to think about what these guys make to play a sport.  With the way our economy is today and so many people struggling just to get by its sad.  I love the Sox, but if we need to take PEDS, drink during games and not taking conditioning seriously, why should we pay good money to watch them play at the park to support their player salaries?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from parhunter1. Show parhunter1's posts

And even as young as Prince is, it seems ridiculous to me that Borazz expects him to get paid as well, or nearly, as Albert Pujols, who has simply been the best hitter in MLB since arriving on the scene.  It will be interesting to see how much Prince eventually settles for.

As for Ells.  What he has going for him, if he has a second year like last year, is that he plays his position very well and is an all-around athlete in great shape.  8-10 years for him puts him in Wells country.  Not sure the Sox would ever go there, especially after overpaying for Crawford.  But I hope they make a Crawford-like offer for Ellsbury (who is apparently the player the Sox thought Crawford was when they signed him for 142 million).  It may end up being as good an offer as Ells will get!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

[QUOTE]And even as young as Prince is, it seems ridiculous to me that Borazz expects him to get paid as well, or nearly, as Albert Pujols, who has simply been the best hitter in MLB since arriving on the scene.  It will be interesting to see how much Prince eventually settles for. As for Ells.  What he has going for him, if he has a second year like last year, is that he plays his position very well and is an all-around athlete in great shape.  8-10 years for him puts him in Wells country.  Not sure the Sox would ever go there, especially after overpaying for Crawford.  But I hope they make a Crawford-like offer for Ellsbury (who is apparently the player the Sox thought Crawford was when they signed him for 142 million).  It may end up being as good an offer as Ells will get!

Agreed, not sure if you had read some of my old posts on Theo but I never did feel he was a great GM when choosing, or signing FA's long term.  Lets hope Ben has better insight and guys like Lucchino and Henry have learned from the past.  We also need to continue taking care of our home grown players who play hard for us the best we can. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from parhunter1. Show parhunter1's posts

I have never been a Theo basher.  But, I agree with you that he seemed to value other team's players too high, and in-house players to low.  Familiarity breeds contempt.  I suppose some of that is due to Theo's age.  I hope Ben, being the same age, has more maturity.  And Lucchino being more involved in decisions cannot hurt in this regard, IMO (though I do not like Lucchino much, personally).

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Thesemenarecowards. Show Thesemenarecowards's posts

Boras definitely doesn't have the leverage of a bidding war he would like.  The big spenders are all set at 1B. 

The Cubs seem like the most likely landing spot at this point, but I agree that anything over 5 years would make more sense for an A.L. team. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

Fans make way too big of a deal about Fielder's weight.

Pujols is 31 and has had back problems and leg problems.  And he got 10 years, and no on expects them all to be good.  Or even as good as the last 10.

Fielder is only 27. Even if players with his body type break down in theor mid-thirties, if he signs an 8 year dea, that takes him to 35!  Right to the mid-thirties!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from parhunter1. Show parhunter1's posts

It's not just fans.  It's also FOs all around baseball.  There is a reason Milwaukee let him walk with his demands, and a reason that he is still out there asking for more than anyone has been interested in offering.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

I'm not so sure.  It actually seems in this case like Boras outweighs Fielder...

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

[QUOTE]It's not just fans.  It's also FOs all around baseball.  There is a reason Milwaukee let him walk with his demands, and a reason that he is still out there asking for more than anyone has been interested in offering.
    The same was written of Adrian Beltre and agent Scott Boras in December 2010 before Beltre signed a five-year, $80 million contract on January 5.

Sections
Shortcuts