Will Jerry Remy be back?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

Will Jerry Remy be back?

http://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/2014/01/03/will-jerry-remy-back-easy-answers-here/flZ8ac20zDmZLyfNg1nBtI/story.html

EDIT: Pasted the article below

It's a tough call. Thoughts?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Re: Will Jerry Remy be back?

In response to J-BAY's comment:
    [QUOTE]

http://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/2014/01/03/will-jerry-remy-back-easy-answers-here/flZ8ac20zDmZLyfNg1nBtI/story.html

[/QUOTE]

its CHB, you need a subscription...which Im NOT paying. maybe post a blurb or 2 if you can?

without having read the article...

It depends on him, and how he feels. I dont think because his loser son did what he did should have anything to do with Jerry and his job. Its a matter of if HE can still do it, and do it like hes capable of.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

In response to southpaw777's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

its CHB, you need a subscription...which Im NOT paying. maybe post a blurb or 2 if you can?

It depends on him, and how he feels. I dont think because his loser son did what he did should have anything to do with Jerry and his job. Its a matter of if HE can still do it, and do it like hes capable of.

[/QUOTE]

CHB wrote it?

Say no more...

I hope Remy comes back.

He one of the best in the business.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

In response to ThefourBs' comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to southpaw777's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

CHB wrote it?

Say no more...

I hope Remy comes back.

He one of the best in the business.

[/QUOTE]

Actually, Shaugnessy's column was very good. It was respectful and simply laid out the issue.

I hope Remy comes back too. I missed him in the playoffs.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

Dan Shaughnessy

Will Jerry Remy be back? No easy answers here   By Dan Shaughnessy  |  Globe Columnist  

January 03, 2014

It would be a gross understatement to state that the Jerry Remy situation is a sensitive issue. The level of loss is unspeakable. A young woman is dead, a little girl is motherless, and the lives of multiple families are forever damaged. Nothing will ever make that right.

The Boston Globe

Boston loves its sports announcers. Curt Gowdy was ours before he belonged to all of America. Local fans worshipped at the altars of Johnny Most, Ned Martin, Gil Santos, and Fred Cusick.

But no local broadcaster has been more popular than Jerry Remy.

And now we wonder . . . is Remy coming back to work Red Sox games this year? Or next year? Or ever?

Fans are asking, Remy is pondering, and folks at NESN are waiting for the popular analyst to make a decision.

It would be a gross understatement to state that this is a sensitive situation. The level of loss is unspeakable. A young woman is dead, a little girl is motherless, and the lives of multiple families are forever damaged. Nothing will ever make that right.

Jerry Remy’s son is charged with murdering Jennifer Martel this past August (his trial is scheduled for October), and everyone associated with Remy, NESN, and the Red Sox has been unfailingly sensitive and respectful.

But there’s still the awkward question regarding Remy’s future in the broadcast booth, and there are indications that there will be an announcement this month. According to multiple sources with direct knowledge of the situation, Remy has a standing offer to return to NESN, and network officials are hoping to make an announcement before the Red Sox report to spring training in Fort Myers.

Remy respectfully declined to be interviewed for this column. He has been virtually invisible since working with Don Orsillo in the NESN broadcast booth in Toronto on Aug. 15, the night Jared Remy was charged with killing Martel, the mother of their 4-year-old daughter.

Two days after the murder, Jerry Remy released a statement that read, “My thoughts and prayers go out to Jenn Martel and her family. Words cannot describe my disgust and remorse over this senseless and tragic act. We are heartbroken.’’

Twelve days later, NESN released a statement saying that Remy would not return during the 2013 season. Within the statement, Remy said, “I am full of grief for the Martel family. My wife and I are sick about this senseless tragedy. It’s clear that this isn’t the time for me to return to broadcast Red Sox games. It’s my hope that I can do so in the spring. I thank NESN and the Red Sox for their support through this nightmare.’’

That’s been it. Remy was absent and silent when the Sox went on their magical run through the 2013 postseason. He declined an opportunity to have any part in the offseason trophy tour.

He has made an occasional comment on his Twitter account (he has more than 430,000 followers), but most of the Twitter postings are made by his business partner, John O’Rourke.

The Red Sox aren’t saying anything. An e-mail to Sox CEO Larry Lucchino bounced back quickly with a “no comment.’’ An e-mail to NESN boss Tom Werner generated no response.

They know this is a touchy situation. And no one knows better than Jerry Remy. There are so many hard questions.

Is Remy obligated to retire permanently because of his son’s alleged transgression? If Remy returns, will he be perceived as insensitive to the Martel family and other families (including his own) affected by Jared Remy’s crime history? Will there be more damaging stories uncovered in the months and years ahead? Is Remy obligated to take questions from the media and the public if he decides to return? And how is it possible to go back to the magical Remy-Orsillo formula of humor and banter during Sox telecasts?

It’s awful and awkward.

Remy is more than a baseball broadcaster. He’s a private man who has worked on a very public stage for almost 40 years.

He is a homegrown (born in Fall River) former Red Sox All-Star second baseman who has battled cancer and depression. He is the beloved RemDawg, more popular than Wally the Green Monster. He is a brand. His name is on restaurants near Fenway, at the Seaport, and at Logan Airport.

Remy is president of Red Sox Nation and he has felt the love of that Nation since news of the tragedy unfolded at the end of the summer.

Now he has to make a hard decision.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from slasher9. Show slasher9's posts

i dont think he would have done the playoffs because:  national?

should the father pay for the sins of his son?

some would say yes......

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

I posted the article from the globe, with the credits and the forum for the Boston Globe dEleted the post ....LOL

Note to mods...any article can be posted here, per BDC, as long as proper credits are given

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from steven11. Show steven11's posts

I doubt he comes back.  He lost his fastball even before his kid was accused of murder.  Jerry will be deposed for the trial and most likely will have to get on the stand.  The stress of the trial and the bad publicity it will bring to the sox, most likely will keep Jerry on the sideline.

The only way he comes back is if his kid cops a deal.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

In response to slasher9's comment:
    [QUOTE]

i dont think he would have done the playoffs because:  national?

should the father pay for the sins of his son?

some would say yes......

[/QUOTE]

Good point, but he would have done local stuff like Orsillo did.

Missed him late in the year.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

I had heard about his daughters arrest, but didn't know the details or that it happened a month before his son's. Here it is:

http://larrybrownsports.com/police/jerry-remy-daughter-jenna-arrest/200913

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from steven11. Show steven11's posts

His kids are both adults and Jerry cannot be blamed for his kid's behavior.  It is already coming out that Remy's wife may have made calls to the murdered woman, asking her not to renew the restaining order against her son, the accused murderer.  If this turns out to be true then the sox should probably say so long to Jerry.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

In response to steven11's comment:
    [QUOTE]

His kids are both adults and Jerry cannot be blamed for his kid's behavior.  It is already coming out that Remy's wife may have made calls to the murdered woman, asking her not to renew the restaining order against her son, the accused murderer.  If this turns out to be true then the sox should probably say so long to Jerry.

[/QUOTE]  I doubt if he is coming back, Jerry is a proud & private person, his heart is broken .....

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

marv-albert-mugshot1.jpg (350×436)

This guy is still working

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

It is hard to comment on this. It is such a sensitive situation. Red Sox Nation has a lot of affection for Jerry Remy. And rightly so. By the same token, Remy has done very well as a result.  We have no idea what the atmosphere was in the Remy household. We only know what we have heard. It would be hard for him to come back this season. When the trial takes place, there will be a lot of pressure and a lot of emotion. He has already had physical and mental health issues.  I assume that he is in good health now , and that he is set financially. Of course, we don't know this for sure. As for his performance in the booth, quite frankly, I think it has declined in recent years. And, I think it hurts Orsillo's performance as well. The commentary is more enjoyable with Eckersley in the booth. All good things come to an end. Jerry Remy had a great run. I think it is time for it to end. As I said, it is hard to say this, because Remy is well loved by so many fans.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from steven11. Show steven11's posts

In response to dgalehouse's comment:
    [QUOTE]

It is hard to comment on this. It is such a sensitive situation. Red Sox Nation has a lot of affection for Jerry Remy. And rightly so. By the same token, Remy has done very well as a result.  We have no idea what the atmosphere was in the Remy household. We only know what we have heard. It would be hard for him to come back this season. When the trial takes place, there will be a lot of pressure and a lot of emotion. He has already had physical and mental health issues.  I assume that he is in good health now , and that he is set financially. Of course, we don't know this for sure. As for his performance in the booth, quite frankly, I think it has declined in recent years. And, I think it hurts Orsillo's performance as well. The commentary is more enjoyable with Eckersley in the booth. All good things come to an end. Jerry Remy had a great run. I think it is time for it to end. As I said, it is hard to say this, because Remy is well loved by so many fans.

[/QUOTE]

People are able to move on and will without Jerry.  There is a large number of people out there who think Don does a better job without Jerry. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

People are able to move on and will without Jerry.  There is a large number of people out there who think Don does a better job without Jerry. 

[/QUOTE]

Got a link, a poll, or is this more sports talk radio nonsense?

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from steven11. Show steven11's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

It is an opinion and a statment based on different conversations and articles I have read.  The beauty of talk radio is when the nonsense begins,  I can   shut them off.  When Don and Jerry start giggling like girls or Lenny Clark is on for several innings, all I am able to do is turn down the volume.

When Orsillo goes on to do a post season game, Remy isn't invited.  More evidence that Orsillo does a better job without Jerry.

Your buddy Remy is on weei at least twice a week during baseball season.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

It is an opinion and a statment based on different conversations and articles I have read.  The beauty of talk radio when the nonsense begins is I can shut them off.  When Don and Jerry start giggling like girls or Lenny Clark is on for several innings, all I am able to do is turn down the volume.

When Orsillo goes on to do a post season game, Remy isn't invited.  More evidence that Orsillo does a better job without Jerry.

Your buddy Remy is on weei at least twice a week during baseball season.

[/QUOTE]

Got a link to just one of those articles?

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from steven11. Show steven11's posts

It isn't really important to me what you think.  If Jerry comes back or not, it isn't a big deal.

If you're not listening to sports talk radio then you are not hearing the complaints from fans regarding Remy, so you are basing your opinion on your own thoughts and the limited number of regular posters on this forum.

I am not even a Callahan fan but I respect the callers and their thoughts.

But you listen to the weei interviews via podcast but not a weei fan.  That makes a lot of sense.  Trip up much on your statements?

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

[QUOTE]

It isn't really important to me what you think.  If Jerry comes back or not, it isn't a big deal.

If you're not listening to sports talk radio then you are not hearing the complaints from fans regarding Remy, so you are basing your opinion on your own thoughts and the limited number of regular posters on this forum.

I am not even a Callahan fan but I respect the callers and their thoughts.

But you listen to the weei interviews via podcast but not a weei fan.  That makes a lot of sense.  Trip up much on your statements?

[/QUOTE]

I didn't think you could...

Do you work for WEEI?

You seem really defensive about it.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Flapjack07. Show Flapjack07's posts

Only he can know what the right choice is for himself and his family right now. Whatever he decides, I just hope he can find some sort of peace. What a horrible situation for everyone involved.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

In response to Flapjack07's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Only he can know what the right choice is for himself and his family right now. Whatever he decides, I just hope he can find some sort of peace. What a horrible situation for everyone involved.

[/QUOTE]

Exactly.

I just hope he doesn't regret his decision, no matter what he decides.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from slasher9. Show slasher9's posts

Remy has gotten a little more surly in the last few years but is still pretty good.  Eck does a decent job too but he goes to the "iron" "moss" "cheese" well much too often.

a couple of my alltime favorites of Remy laughing:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wys_JmrK5e4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gyyLh08vIag&list=PLzJvr6QMkjJ3oXX8iMhEbhMkuKyUkIjn7

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Kingface12. Show Kingface12's posts

Not too long ago people complained here every so often about Remy and sometimes...albeit a lesser degree....Orsillo.  My job used to to take me around the country a lot meeting with clients and I got to watch a lot of baseball in the evenings.  Let me tell you all.....we are ABSOLUTELY SPOILED by Remy and Orsillo.  They are SO FAR AHEAD of so many other announcers that it's comical.  There is a reason why many times Orsillo or Remy were asked to cover national broadcasts for MLB playoff games....they are among the best at what they do.  Sure sometimes they can get a bit over the top....or seem self serving....but try to sit there for 3.5 hours almost every day and think about new stuff to say every game....especially when it's a blowout.

As for if or should he come back.....he needs to be selfish and do what is BEST FOR HIM AND HIS IMMEDIATE FAMILY.  I'm going to say he needs to think about HIM first though.  We all heal and deal with things different ways.  If that is to 'go back to work' and have some normalcy in his life again....then great.  If that means stay home and be with family...then fine.  Ive always been a 'get back to normalcy' kind of guy.....but I do not have children so can't even begin to think about the immense pain he must be feeling. 

Sections
Shortcuts