Will Jerry Remy be back?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

Re: Will Jerry Remy be back?

In response to Kingface12's comment:

Not too long ago people complained here every so often about Remy and sometimes...albeit a lesser degree....Orsillo.  My job used to to take me around the country a lot meeting with clients and I got to watch a lot of baseball in the evenings.  Let me tell you all.....we are ABSOLUTELY SPOILED by Remy and Orsillo.  They are SO FAR AHEAD of so many other announcers that it's comical.  There is a reason why many times Orsillo or Remy were asked to cover national broadcasts for MLB playoff games....they are among the best at what they do.  Sure sometimes they can get a bit over the top....or seem self serving....but try to sit there for 3.5 hours almost every day and think about new stuff to say every game....especially when it's a blowout.

As for if or should he come back.....he needs to be selfish and do what is BEST FOR HIM AND HIS IMMEDIATE FAMILY.  I'm going to say he needs to think about HIM first though.  We all heal and deal with things different ways.  If that is to 'go back to work' and have some normalcy in his life again....then great.  If that means stay home and be with family...then fine.  Ive always been a 'get back to normalcy' kind of guy.....but I do not have children so can't even begin to think about the immense pain he must be feeling. 

Good post, king. I was in Florida last Sept, and had to listen to the Rays announcers....boring and flat, doesn't begin to cover it. Last I heard, Jarad had refused to see either one of his parents, since his arrest. Jerry and his wife, have asked  to be awarded custody of their 4 year old grand daughter.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from miscricket. Show miscricket's posts

In spite of all the great points that Kingface makes in the previous post, I don't want Remy back. I am one of those people who other posters referred to as one of those fans who do not like Remy. Sorry..I just don't like him.  Most of the people I hang around with don't like him either.Kingface has a great point about the quality of most other announcing teams though.. Throughout the sport they are all pretty bad. ( Baseball sorely needs their own version of Jack Edwards..lol)

I think Orsillo and Eck do a better job than Orsillo and Remy. I like listening to Francona when he filled in a couple of times.

Overall...I prefer the radio announcers and will often mute the TV and listen to the radio commentary..or just listen to the game on the radio.

I listen to Boston sports radio and frequently enjoy it. I don't understand the hate for sports radio. I like listening to what the callers say and there are no shortage of callers that were never crazy about Remy and Orsillo.

Remy's restaurant is pretty bad as well. I never recommend it to anyone.  :-)

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

As a Sox fan, but also a baseball fan, I have the Extra Innings package and get to , at least occasionally, hear all of the announce teams. Objectively speaking, the Sox announcers are better than some , and not as good as others. I guess it is all a matter of taste, as well as team loyalty. Many Sox fans will overrate our announcers, just because they are Sox fans. Personally, I prefer Orsillo and Eckersley over Orsillo and Remy. I do agree that the " cheese, moss, iron, etc." has gotten old. Less of that and more serious commentary would be welcome. P.S. I fully agree with JBay that the Rays announcers are absolutely the worst. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from ampoule. Show ampoule's posts

As much as I'd like to see him back, I just can't, under the circumstances, see how it could be possible.

There would be, no doubt, someone from the press, or some loony fan who would ask him questions about the incident.  And, with his history of depression etc., it would not be something easy to deal with.

It's truly unfortunate that a parents life could potentially be so adversly affected by the childrens behavior.  Of what I've read, it seems his daughter has a few issues of her own.

What I find unusual is that usaually there's a 'black sheep' in everyone's family somewhere.  But with Remy, there seems to be two.  It makes one wonder a little.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from slasher9. Show slasher9's posts

maybe we could trade for suzyn waldman.

i have had the MLB package on directv since 1999 season.  the Rays, braves, Angels, and Astros announcers make me want to bludgeon my cat with a ball peen hammer.

the Dodgers (sadly for only home games now/and limited west coast jaunts) have by far the best announcer in the history of the worlds.

I am too biased to fairly judge Sox but it does speak volumes that Orsillo is hired to do postseason.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Kingface12. Show Kingface12's posts

In response to miscricket's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In spite of all the great points that Kingface makes in the previous post, I don't want Remy back. I am one of those people who other posters referred to as one of those fans who do not like Remy. Sorry..I just don't like him.  Most of the people I hang around with don't like him either.Kingface has a great point about the quality of most other announcing teams though.. Throughout the sport they are all pretty bad. ( Baseball sorely needs their own version of Jack Edwards..lol)

I think Orsillo and Eck do a better job than Orsillo and Remy. I like listening to Francona when he filled in a couple of times.

Overall...I prefer the radio announcers and will often mute the TV and listen to the radio commentary..or just listen to the game on the radio.

I listen to Boston sports radio and frequently enjoy it. I don't understand the hate for sports radio. I like listening to what the callers say and there are no shortage of callers that were never crazy about Remy and Orsillo.

[/QUOTE]

I agree Cricket....I think Orsillo and Eck do a better job as well.  I like the 'edge' that Eck brings....even though I never want to hear the word 'cheese' ever again....  I also think the radio announcers are far and away better.  Radio announcers as a whole to me are simply more talented than TV announcers.  They need to 'paint the picture' for us which is WAY more difficult then people may think.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from ampoule. Show ampoule's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I agree Cricket....I think Orsillo and Eck do a better job as well.  I like the 'edge' that Eck brings....even though I never want to hear the word 'cheese' ever again....  I also think the radio announcers are far and away better.  Radio announcers as a whole to me are simply more talented than TV announcers.  They need to 'paint the picture' for us which is WAY more difficult then people may think.

[/QUOTE]

True, except I don't really like Castiglione 'painting' a routine fly ball to center as if it were a potential to be a 600 ft. home run.  Know what I mean?  He exaggerates and embellishes his 'picture'.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from steven11. Show steven11's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Orsillo does do a better job with eck. Yes, there are a lot of people out there who no longer like Remy.  Sorry I am not able to provide a link for conversations I have.  Remy''s seasport location has great tv's but the food is sub par.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from steven11. Show steven11's posts

looks like this thread is the only link I need to show remy is not as popular as he once was.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

If this thread equates to "large number of people out there who think Don does a better job without Jerry", then all I can do is laugh.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from steven11. Show steven11's posts

In response to ThefourBs' comment:
    [QUOTE]

If this thread equates to "large number of people out there who think Don does a better job without Jerry", then all I can do is laugh.

[/QUOTE]

Some respected posters have given their opinion.  If you like laughing at them, no problem. Like I said, it doesn't matter.  Usually when people request a link, they are reaching to show they are right. 

Have a nice day listening to the rest of the weei shows.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

In response to steven11's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Some respected posters have given their opinion.  If you like laughing at them, no problem. Like I said, it doesn't matter.  Usually when people request a link, they are reaching to show they are right. 

[/QUOTE]

I get that some people don't like him, and that's fine.

I just think the "I don't like him and most people agree with me" crap, is just that, crap.

I have no idea how many do or don't like the guy, and neither do you.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Kingface12. Show Kingface12's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I just think the "I don't like him and most people agree with me" crap, is just that, crap.

[/QUOTE]

This 'Steven11' kid is getting pretty obnoxious.......  Consider this post the 'link' for that factual opinion.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

This 'Steven11' kid is getting pretty obnoxious.......  Consider this post the 'link' for that factual opinion.

[/QUOTE]

lol

Consider it done.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from 2013soxchamps. Show 2013soxchamps's posts

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Steven11= jackbu Wink .....

...we had quite the go-around last year with Big Papi.... I am FKA..msobstinate.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

In response to 2013soxchamps' comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

...we had quite the go-around last year with Big Papi.... I am FKA..msobstinate.

[/QUOTE]

Welcome back!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Flapjack07. Show Flapjack07's posts

In response to 2013soxchamps's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

That explains an awful lot!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from 2013soxchamps. Show 2013soxchamps's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Welcome back!

[/QUOTE]

Thanks!

Getting warmed up for the Ortiz battle part deux ..... can't wait for the chatter on an extention for his contract. I think he earned his money last season.

Laughing

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Welcome back!

[/QUOTE]

Thanks!

Getting warmed up for the Ortiz battle part deux ..... can't wait for the chatter on an extention for his contract. I think he earned his money last season.

Laughing

[/QUOTE]At 38 going on 44, it would be wise to lock PAPI up for a 3 tear contract !!  After last year, he proved that it does not matter how old he is !!

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from 2013soxchamps. Show 2013soxchamps's posts

In response to Bill-806's comment:

[/QUOTE]

At 38 going on 44, it would be wise to lock PAPI up for a 3 tear contract !!  After last year, he proved that it does not matter how old he is !!

[/QUOTE]

As long as Big Papi retires with his Red Sox on that's all I care to see ....

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from den666. Show den666's posts

In response to J-BAY's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I posted the article from the globe, with the credits and the forum for the Boston Globe dEleted the post ....LOL

Note to mods...any article can be posted here, per BDC, as long as proper credits are given

[/QUOTE]

Thanks a lot for posting this. I appreciate! Wouldn't have had access otherwise.

Best wishes for 2014. (Of course, another World Series would be cool, too!)

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxKimmi. Show RedSoxKimmi's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I have nothing against Eck, I like him, but I prefer Remy.  Like others, I have the MLB package and I get stuck listening to the other team's announcers for away games.  Some of them are brutal and extremely annoying.  IMO, Orsillo and Remy are among the best.

I personally like their giggle fests.  They crack me up.  Then again, I'm easily amused.

I don't like it when they have guests in the booth and they focus on the guest while the game is going on.  I want to see the game, not some person talking.  Same thing goes for sideline reporters.

All that said, even though I would welcome Remy back, I don't think he will return.  I just think he has too much going on in his personal life between his son and his health to be able to commit to the demands of the job.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from miscricket. Show miscricket's posts

In response to RedSoxKimmi's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I have nothing against Eck, I like him, but I prefer Remy.  Like others, I have the MLB package and I get stuck listening to the other team's announcers for away games.  Some of them are brutal and extremely annoying.  IMO, Orsillo and Remy are among the best.

I personally like their giggle fests.  They crack me up.  Then again, I'm easily amused.

I don't like it when they have guests in the booth and they focus on the guest while the game is going on.  I want to see the game, not some person talking.  Same thing goes for sideline reporters.

All that said, even though I would welcome Remy back, I don't think he will return.  I just think he has too much going on in his personal life between his son and his health to be able to commit to the demands of the job.

[/QUOTE]

I would not welcome him back..particularly if there is any shred of truth to the fact that Remy and or Remy's wife dissuaded that girl from continuing the restraining order she had againt Jared Remy. Whose best interest did they have ? Their son who was out of control..?? Or their own reputation (brand)? Certainly not their granddaughter or Jennifer Martel.In any event a woman is dead and I think her family's considerations should be put first and foremost. 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

Count me as one fan that is ready to move on from Remy. I wish him only the best, and understand and acknowledge his personal issues with his family as well as his own. My readiness to move on is simply feeling Remy has slipped into comfort and familiarity that gives him and Don too much leeway into lazy preparation. I loved Eck on the games, and also would love some other ex players working the 25-40% of the games Eck does not work. I would take insight from any former ex player over "smoothness" in the booth or with Orsillo. The years of yuks and guffaws has worn thin on me. 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxdirtdog. Show redsoxdirtdog's posts

For anybody who thinks a restraining order would have eliminated the possiblility or even probability that this terrible crime would have happened, you are simply ignoring logic.

How does a restraining order prevent somebody from killing the person it is meant to protect?

Clearly, in retrospect, it makes the Remys look bad, but the removal of the restraining order did not cause this.  Clearly, this guy was compeltely out of control, & should have been behind bars.  Who do we want to blame next?  Her family for going along with this?  If it were my daughter, I would have pushed to have the guy behind bars long before this, but I'm not going to put my standards on them.  

Do I think what Remy & his family did was wrong in pushing for leniency on their out of control, steroid crazed son?  You bet.  They should have let him crash & burn.  Hit rock bottom!  Do I also respect the fact that sometimes there is nothing you can do to control an out of control son or daughter?  Yep.

I guess I'm all over the board on this, but still......  does it disqualify Remy as a broadcaster for the Red Sox?  Absolutely not!  I think this is coming down to those who like what Remy does in the booth, & those who don't.

but, let's not indict the guy for stupidly trying to protect his no good, peice of sh___, out of control kid.